Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

The shape of the taillights (not the detail) remind me of the '61 Special.  Some pics show them with multiple vertical bars, and some with one.  And the Skylark had a totally different taillight shape and trim.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gmphotostore.com/images/53217813_pr.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gmphotostore.com/1961-Buick-Special-4-Door-Sedan/productinfo/53217813/&h=310&w=388&tbnid=jlyxFNG3ZQ2K8M:&docid=MhwIVr3eHWKb9M&ei=E4XCVou1Hs6sjwPTtabYDg&tbm=isch&ved=0ahUKEwjLitOYmvvKAhVO1mMKHdOaCesQMwg5KAcwBw

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

When I have time to kill and I go dreaming at "build & price" sites, I keep forgetting about building a Ford Edge.  It's a 2-row crossover, reasonably sporty and available with a V6... hmmm...

Whenever I do the "Build & Price" thing I always forget about incentives/rebates that can be offered at times of purchase. I'll go ahead and build something relatively out of my price range just to see how much it would cost for exactly what I want.. but I could save thousands if timed right and visit an actual dealer. 

For instance, the whole F150 with the sport/chrome package, XLT, 2.7, and extended cab or something like that had wicked rebated at one point. Something like 7500-8500 off.. 

With electric battery packs and EVs...wont repairs return to that simplicity?

At least for replacing parts...if not for actual repairing...

Yeah, replace a few black boxes now and then, then recycle after a few years and get a new one, like with laptops..

^ There's a potential for that there, yes, except no OEM engineers cars for easier service.

Also would be nice if swapping the batteries was somehow cheaper than swapping a IC V6 out.

How true on the first thought about OEMs making it easier...

I wonder why they complicate things today?

I mean, engineers design the car, dont they think about the "KISS" theory? Keep it simple, stupid...

And...other engineers engineer how to manufacture it...you would think that the "KISS" theory would kick in at this level if not at the initial car design stage...

On the second part...I forgot about how expensive batteries still are today.

So...in other words,  although I dont do any work myself on my cars, I at least sympathize with you if I dont fully understand how difficult things get get...you know...because I dont do any mechanics for myself, so I dont really know how complicated things are...

Edited by oldshurst442

With electric battery packs and EVs...wont repairs return to that simplicity?

At least for replacing parts...if not for actual repairing...

Yeah, replace a few black boxes now and then, then recycle after a few years and get a new one, like with laptops..

That is what I was eluding to in my post.

I assumed correctly, I guess, that its a plug-n-play type deal...and the electrician/mechanic works on the shorted motherboard,bad battery pack, with no pressures in getting the vehicle right back to its customer as fast as possible...

Case in point RE serviceability : '87 Mustang, sprung heater core leak, required to swap it out: remove seats, center console, dash, purge A/C, THEN you could access the heater core.

I changed one in my '64 Catalina one night hanging out with the guys at the gas station- took like 20 mins.

But the 'coffin nail' for me was, engineering a vehicle ('09 Malibu) that requires a dealer service department to change the headlight bulbs. Inexcusable, and all too much a 'snapshot' of where engineering is too often looking these days.

• Agree 1

Random thoughts involving blubs-- my Jeep still has the same headlight bulbs after 16 years. Never replaced them, though I have done a fair bit of night driving.  They look easy to replace.  The taillight and rear back up and turn signal bulbs are very easy to replace, have replaced them several times..have an issue w/ the right rear tailight/stop light--I've replaced the bulb twice, but it still doesn't light when the brake is applied.  Works fine as a taillight when on normally or I apply the brakes w/ the lights off. 

No DRL....the majority of my night driving has been early morning since I usually leave for work before 7am (which is still dark part of the year).    Rarely ever used the high beams either, since most of my driving is city and suburban.

^ There's a potential for that there, yes, except no OEM engineers cars for easier service.

Also would be nice if swapping the batteries was somehow cheaper than swapping a IC V6 out.

How true on the first thought about OEMs making it easier...

I wonder why they complicate things today?

I mean, engineers design the car, dont they think about the "KISS" theory? Keep it simple, stupid...

And...other engineers engineer how to manufacture it...you would think that the "KISS" theory would kick in at this level if not at the initial car design stage...

On the second part...I forgot about how expensive batteries still are today.

So...in other words,  although I dont do any work myself on my cars, I at least sympathize with you if I dont fully understand how difficult things get get...you know...because I dont do any mechanics for myself, so I dont really know how complicated things are...

Heeeelllloooooooo I'm right here! Cars are complicated, but the trucks I work on are much more complicated, at least electrically. 

I get to work on these bad boys:

kenworth-w900-studio.jpg

Other than replacing washer fluid, wiper blades, air filters, and the occasional bulb, I leave car repair to the professionals.  Though I do think it would very interesting to learn how to work on them, I wouldn't trust myself on my daily driver.   It would be fascinating to have work product that is physical, since everything I work with during the daily grind is virtual...

Other than replacing washer fluid, wiper blades, air filters, and the occasional bulb, I leave car repair to the professionals.  Though I do think it would very interesting to learn how to work on them, I wouldn't trust myself on my daily driver.   It would be fascinating to have work product that is physical, since everything I work with during the daily grind is virtual...

Start with the small stuff, oil changes and shocks for example. There's really nothing to it if you know how to use a ratchet. 

Start with the small stuff, oil changes and shocks for example. There's really nothing to it if you know how to use a ratchet. 

If I had a garage, I'd consider doing some of those things.  Not practical in Arizona with a carport.   The biggest, most complicated automotive repair I did by myself was in 2009 when I swapped out my driver's seat, seat motors and seat track after the seat track broke (common 2nd gen Grand Cherokee problem).   Saved quite a bit with DIY approach.

That is a nice rig, Thed.

Im tempted to make it my sig.

But I just put up the Trans Am drag racing the Hellcat.

If Im gonna take what you quoted me on and what you quoted MR. Cubical on, I guess the thing that you wanna say is that, get your lazy ass out of the sofa, grab yourself a screwdriver and a ratchet, and do some tinkering!

And you are right!

My dad taught me of few things on his 1979 Impala and 1986 Celebrity. I havent forgotten. I have gotten snooty though. As much as I love cars, I dont like getting my hands dirty. Its not that I dont like to get my hands oily and dirty, its just that I get greasy and dirty enough my work...

I degrease the restaurant often enough that I really dont have the appetite to repeat that at home as well working on cars.

Plus, Montreal aint exactly muscle car friendly...especially in the dead of winter.

If I lived in sunny South Carolina like yourself...Id be more game with it.

@ Mr. Cubical

I got a garage...but its a small one...no space to do any kind of automotive mechanics. Ive got lots of tools. My small garage is has fit them all.

I got a small air compressor. Im planning to get a REAL air compressor...I think I wanna change my own tires...since its a freakin hassle to take it to the garage for winters in the winter time and all seasons for the summer...Im willing to do that stuff...

Edited by oldshurst442

I did learn to do quite a few things w my late father on old cars 30 years ago. I helped pull an engine and transmission and later reinstall it on a '69 Mustang, bleed brakes, do brake jobs, etc.

But with college, grad school and corporate life, I've become sedentary and used to modern cars that aren't very DIY oriented. And we just had our first 90 degree day yesterday, so that doesn't inspire me to do any physical activity outside. :( Sick of desert life, I think I will be able to get in better shape and enjoy the outdoors more back in OH-PA.

I came back from the CIAS autoshow today.

Expect pictures up in a couple days.

I'll make a short-list of what I liked and what I didn't.

Also, are auto-show cars having non-production interior materials like for ALL THE CARS? Because as a whole I was supremely unimpressed with most cars. Even many luxury cars in interior quality. 

And the few cars I wanted a closer look - couldn't sit in.

attachicon.gif10887480_10208811441625962_8152109107868919178_o.jpg

Click to blow me up.  Sweet little COE.

That custom built truck ROCKS! :metal:

It is sad that we do not find many people building custom rides, but at the pass today when I was heading down to pack up and call it a day from Skiing I came across this little beauty of a 4x4!

post-12-0-31933800-1456203266_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-83805600-1456203272_thumb.jpg

Got to drive a 2016 Encore this morning.  I dropped my truck off at our GM store for annual safety inspection, and the service manager asked me to drive the Encore to our shop to loan to a customer.  Nice driving vehicle altogether... except the front end drops completely out of sight, I am not sure I like that aspect.

Edited by ocnblu

Nah, Trumps got it in the bag. I mean it's incredible. He's the cure to cancer of the GOP... like the base of the party loves him, loyal to him to the end.

He says a lot of things that are like almost incredible that no one thought of before.

Like the wall solution. Damn, real third world nations like India have walls against their neighbours, and they're usually electrified like Jurassic park style.

And trade barriers to currency manipulators. Why doesn't just someone give him the internet?! 

And getting rid of Department of Education aka common core - heck even Canada has school districts implemented across municipalities governed by the provinces...

Perhaps he will make Amtrack run on time as well.

If he could be trusted to just concentrate on the economy and turn off his ego he might be ok. But I have severe doubts on both counts.

There's ugly candidates. And then there's the worst. Then there's the pure vultures and then there's the filthy scavengers.

Thankfully, he's none of those. And probably the only one that isn't any of those either.

I mean the best candidate the democrats have is a political aristocrat that lost to Obama. He's just going to replay that at every debate with her. He's gonna make quick work. 

I like the ego, but he also holds his cards close to his chest. And he's the real reason why the GOP base is finally engaged. If I could vote as a Canadian - well, you who I'll vote for!!

Besides - I bet he probably uses I can't believe it's not butter to style his hair. He wins right there. 

I'll give it to Trump though, He is the first politician that I actually believe he means what he says. I feel like he is actually saying what he feels and thinks. Whether that is right or wrong is a completely different story and something not for discussion here but other than him I've felt that 100% of career politicians are liars and thieves one way or another. I just wish they would do it because they wanted to better the country as opposed to the power and money. 

• Agree 1