Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

Two weeks ago went into the dermatologist. Found a spot on my nose, skin cancer.

Today went into the Skin Cancer Alliance in Seattle for removal. Now I have a bobbed nose, packed and face bandaged up.

Tomorrow, I go see a Skin Cancer Plastic Surgeon for Nose reconstruction. Skin will come from my ass, so now I really will have my ass on my nose. :P

So if I am not around the next few days, this is why. 

Catch up with you all later. :)

Later assface.

Uhhhh just found out they make Focus ST's in Wagon form over in Europe. Not my thing but still really awesome. Check out the color of this one as well.

Surreal, this might be right up your alley.

C4C45093-7985-4C11-9117-D3F3684066F4_zps

78ED3E52-36F5-479D-969D-EBFFDB25C692_zps

If I've ever seen a good looking wagon, this is it. I should say "reasonably priced" because the CTS-V and E63 wagons look great as well. 

• Agree 3

Two weeks ago went into the dermatologist. Found a spot on my nose, skin cancer.

Today went into the Skin Cancer Alliance in Seattle for removal. Now I have a bobbed nose, packed and face bandaged up.

Tomorrow, I go see a Skin Cancer Plastic Surgeon for Nose reconstruction. Skin will come from my ass, so now I really will have my ass on my nose. :P

So if I am not around the next few days, this is why. 

Catch up with you all later. :)

Uh, well, ya... real life stuff sucks sometimes. Get well soon.

Uhhhh just found out they make Focus ST's in Wagon form over in Europe. Not my thing but still really awesome. Check out the color of this one as well.

If I've ever seen a good looking wagon, this is it. I should say "reasonably priced" because the CTS-V and E63 wagons look great as well. 

Wow man, it looks unfreaking believable. An ST wagon?!!

I just wish for once, people would NOT buy a crossover and buy this thing, or others things that compete directly with this thing. You get the style of a sedan, with the utility of the crossover, with the exclusivity of hero vehicle.

Like if you were a soccer mom, why not? Hero mom.

If you were the soccer day, why not? Hero dad.

If you had pets - Fido would love to snuggle in the hatch.... Like you win-win-win, and 100% full win.

You are made of win if you drive this. Yesh.

• Agree 1

I just wish for once, people would NOT buy a crossover and buy this thing, or others things that compete directly with this thing. You get the style of a sedan, with the utility of the crossover, with the exclusivity of hero vehicle.

Like if you were a soccer mom, why not? Hero mom.

If you were the soccer day, why not? Hero dad.

If you had pets - Fido would love to snuggle in the hatch.... Like you win-win-win, and 100% full win.

You are made of win if you drive this. Yesh.

I read that it's only like 53lbs heavier than the regular version as well! so you're probably not losing much performance at all!

I think it looks so awesome.. I've never been a wagon fan but if this were available here I guarantee I would have gotten it over my Escape. 

• Agree 1

Anyways, I confirmed 3 tickets to the CIAS. Got 'em at a nice discount too.

I am stoked.

I just googled....the CT6 will be making its Canadian debut...

We had the Camaro as a Canadian debut.

The Cadillac XT5 was also there..as a Canadian debut.

So was the Buick Avenir and the Acura NSX all as Canadian debuts... :closedeyes:

Toronto could kiss my  :butthead: .

:D

Edited by oldshurst442

My wife and I both grew up with our families having Oldsmobile Delta 98 Custom Cruiser. I loved the rear facing 3rd Seat. That was mine. This picture is what our station wagon looked like, but my wife says her families was more of a light yetllow with wood grain.

post-12-0-26903900-1454604916_thumb.jpg

With that said, while I understand your desire for people to not want to buy crossovers, more and more people are finding that cars are not that great on the terrible road system the US has let crumble. If you do a road trip, people have found the higher seating position and road clearance to be a big benefit in dealing with potholes, cracked/crumbling roads.

I myself happen to like driving my Suburban and my other SUV's over a regular car sitting so much lower. As long as they offer variety, that is what counts and if you like the station wagon import one. You would be surprised the numerous ways to get around normal regulations and import a car you like to drive here. I have seen so many R33 & R34 Skylines in the Seattle area.

Which cheek?

Don't say closer to the middle.

south-park-s05e10c05-parents-hope-16x9.j

So 6hrs later with skin graft off the right side of the cheek going into the thigh I have a new nose in a nose cast.

Have to work from home as I have to limit interaction and cannot lift anything till next Wednesday when it comes off and I see my new nose.

Thanks all for your well wishes, joking and thinking of me. Look forward to being back online and enjoying the debates of the auto world.

• Agree 2

So today I saw my second and third 2016 Camaros. My first one was a white one, and it was pretty nice. But the black and red ones... well. Just pure, dead sexy. They had a '15 in the showroom for a bit of reference. Yes, trust me-there is a LOT of difference between the two.

• Disagree 1

Final thought of the night.

Sorry El K. About the 6th generation Camaro compared to the 5th generation...

Besides the platform change and the 6th gen being more svelte, visually speaking...there is NOT a lot of difference. 

Maybe I need to change my prescription on my eye glasses, but that is how I feel.

Sexy...yeah, the 1969 original to which the 5th and 6th gen is based on is sexy. These new machines, not so much. Again, to these aging eyes.

A brand new Camaro purchase for me would be this:

A virtual trip to Year One...for a Dynacorn body shell

camarobody.jpg

And everything else that Year One and other aftermarket shops sell new-old parts such as fenders and grilles and all other modern technology hardware for it.

And the project would end up something like this:

1969-chevrolet-pro-touring-camaro-front-

r2_jHbp0235c_500_346a8b50.jpg

kZ1g_KUOnjA.jpg

Maybe even buy two of those body shells and the second project could turn out like this:

e6b1d6b41ba968b63dec97cfccb3d3bf.jpg

So yeah....those would be sexy...the originals...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

So today I saw my second and third 2016 Camaros. My first one was a white one, and it was pretty nice. But the black and red ones... well. Just pure, dead sexy. They had a '15 in the showroom for a bit of reference. Yes, trust me-there is a LOT of difference between the two.

In you opinion there's a lot of a difference.. Unless they are next to each other they are easily mistaken for the same car. 

• Agree 1

...and that would be YOUR opinion.

Anyhoo, not only does it look different, the price scheme is also much the same. My nearly-loaded '10 SS2 (everything but the auto and sunroof) rang in at 48 grand Canadian back in the day. The one I was in last night had the sunroof, thirty more horses, and a bunch of stuff not even available on mine, for 54. I can live with that.

Final thought of the night.

Sorry El K. About the 6th generation Camaro compared to the 5th generation...

Besides the platform change and the 6th gen being more svelte, visually speaking...there is NOT a lot of difference. 

Maybe I need to change my prescription on my eye glasses, but that is how I feel.

Sexy...yeah, the 1969 original to which the 5th and 6th gen is based on is sexy. These new machines, not so much. Again, to these aging eyes.

A brand new Camaro purchase for me would be this:

A virtual trip to Year One...for a Dynacorn body shell

camarobody.jpg

And everything else that Year One and other aftermarket shops sell new-old parts such as fenders and grilles and all other modern technology hardware for it.

And the project would end up something like this:

1969-chevrolet-pro-touring-camaro-front-

r2_jHbp0235c_500_346a8b50.jpg

kZ1g_KUOnjA.jpg

Maybe even buy two of those body shells and the second project could turn out like this:

e6b1d6b41ba968b63dec97cfccb3d3bf.jpg

So yeah....those would be sexy...the originals...

These are sexy auto's put in the proper Electric motor and you have a screamer of a Green Hot Rod! :D

Anyhoo, not only does it look different, the price scheme is also much the same. My nearly-loaded '10 SS2 (everything but the auto and sunroof) rang in at 48 grand Canadian back in the day. The one I was in last night had the sunroof, thirty more horses, and a bunch of stuff not even available on mine, for 54. I can live with that.

My point was your GM fanboy-ism saying "trust me" weighs little when you're trying to hype up a GM vehicle. 

Put the two next to each other and I doubt 2 non-car-people would be able to differentiate the two or pick which is the new one and which is the old one without looking at the interior. 

• Agree 1

My point was your GM fanboy-ism saying "trust me" weighs little when you're trying to hype up a GM vehicle. 

Put the two next to each other and I doubt 2 non-car-people would be able to differentiate the two or pick which is the new one and which is the old one without looking at the interior.

I don't.

But hey, it's all good. It either succeeds or it doesn't. But if we are to judge its chances of success or failure based on its styling, it's going to be just fine.

Getting the Miata aligned to my specs. They're going to get it within 1/32 of my requests.

It should transform the car, the alignment felt terrible from the factory.

What was it doing that it felt bad?

Mainly, it didn't feel planted. Especially over bumps mid-corner. Plus the steering wheel was off-center.

Now that it's done, the car feels totally transformed. It feels like how everyone describes a Miata. It feels so sure-footed and just more eager. $130 well spent.

I don't.

But hey, it's all good. It either succeeds or it doesn't. But if we are to judge its chances of success or failure based on its styling, it's going to be just fine.

Then it'll do the same as the 5th gen! lol I'm just messin' 'round. 

I'm not doubting the success or failure one bit. It'll be a success, no doubt.

I'm picking up what you're laying down. I just don't understand the genuine disappointment among some that it isn't a radical departure from the last one style wise. I mean, it was the sales leader multiple times during its run, what more do they want?

And I know you're really pulling for an affordable V8 variant. But even up here in post-oil crash Alberta, the three examples I've seen were all loaded SS2s, and one of those had aftermarket rims that were five figures all by themselves.

I'm picking up what you're laying down. I just don't understand the genuine disappointment among some that it isn't a radical departure from the last one style wise. I mean, it was the sales leader multiple times during its run, what more do they want?

And I know you're really pulling for an affordable V8 variant. But even up here in post-oil crash Alberta, the three examples I've seen were all loaded SS2s, and one of those had aftermarket rims that were five figures all by themselves.

I am not disappointed in anything other than the sight lines from the driver's seat. I was never a huge fan of the 5th gen Camaro's looks but I definitely could see how people would like it. It just wasn't my cup of tea, and that's fine. 

As for sales, you and I both know sales doesn't mean one is better than the other. That's been gone over and over and over here already. Just because one sells more(or less) doesn't necessarily make it the better(or worse) car. The three pony cars are so good these days that whoever buys based on looks alone won't be getting a bad car. 

Oh the pricey ones will sell, no doubt about that. And that white one you took a picture of with the aftermarket wheels..looked awesome..real awesome. I was in our Chevy dealer last week and I asked them when they would get in a '16 Camaro and they told me, "another 2-3 weeks, I think". Seemed like an awful long time yet but we're a small town so we don't usually get the newest stuff first. HOPEFULLY I can take one for a short spin and it'll change my mind about the visibility though. 

OK....First and second thoughts of the day...

Yes Mr. DFELT...an electric motor in those is what the doctor ordered.

And unto El K...

My beef lies with Sam Witwicky...

Not only that...

1st gen....1967-1969

2nd gen....1970-1981

different departure

3rd gen. ...1982-1992

different departure

4rth gen...1993-2002

different departure...

Keep in mind that the last 3 gens., a decade went by before a new gen arrived and the LOOKS  became very long in the tooth by years 7 or 8...

And when finally the new cars arrived, they were a breath of fresh air....like something we have never seen. Styling overtures...only to become bland by years 7 or 8...

5th gen...2010-2015...

We are already 5 years into this same look. Actually longer since Sam Witwicky drove one in 2007. To boot, its a retro model of a 1969 model...that wasnt done with perfection...

So the 6th gen comes along from 2016....

By George, Im all retro-ed out with this look.

Its a dated look that dates back to 2007...yes...its almost a decade...

Like generations  2,3 and 4...the styling design has peeked at about  years 7 or 8 in...

Its old news.

Its bland.

Its passe.

Its been done to death with it being a retro from 1969...

And yet...a pro-touring restomodded approach of a 1969 model actually looks MORE modern and fresh...go figure.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

3rd thought of the day.

The Mustang of 2005....was a retro styling success of a 1967ish Mustang, and up until its last year of production in 2014, it went through enough exterior  changes for it to be a slightly different car from when it was launched in 2005.

Not that the Camaro was not a styling success judging by the sales numbers it achieved, but not enough styling changes were made to it either...

I get it...small styling changes to générations 2 and 3 never slowed down in the sales department while generation 4, the Camaro sales took a steep downward spiral...so amybe that has something to do with Chevy's reluctance to change up the styling.

But in my point of view...the 2015 Mustang is a much cleaner and fresher design doing retro while the 2016 Camaro is just dpoing the same 'ol dance routine. Im bored of it...

OK...I was bored of it by 2010.5 so I may be a tad biased.

Unto the Challanger.

This has got to be THE best retro ride of them all.

And the little subtle styling changes they made to it only made me fall in love with it THAT much more.

Because MOPAR, when they decided to do a retro Challenger, they hit the styling out of Fenway Way Park/ Yankee Stadium....or should I say Tiger Stadium...

The modern Challenger, like its similar ride that its based on, turned out to be a timeless design.

The 1969 is also a timeless design...too bad the modern retro versions are not.

If your entire beef with the Camaro is with a movie than it is what it is.

The current Challenger looks mostly great. But it is a bit thick through the middle. Just saying.

The Mustang, as per your own observations, is invisible. Probably a bit too corporate, if I were to guess.

And nobody beyond the hardest of the hardcore is going to buy or build a Pro Touring car.

Its not JUST about a product placement movie....

Its ALSO about a design that was first introduced in 2007...we are now in 2016...

About the Mustang...the GT350 had nobody around it as nobody knew it was a GT350...

The regular 2015/2016 Mustangs had just as many droolers as the 2016 Camaro had... a slight difference in interpretation there...

Only but the hardcore enthusiasts?

We are talking about pony cars called the Mustang and Camaro, now arent we?

Because talk to ANY pony car enthusiast, you know, the one that buys his brand new 2016 Camaro or Mustang and also buys the baseball cap that has the Camaro or Mustang logo on it and he wil gladly wax poetic about a resto modded, Dynacorned body shelled pony car of his choice...

There is a reason why Dynacorn offers 1966 and 1967 and 1970 Mustang body shells and 1967 and 1969 Camaro body shells...

I said I was gonna buy a Dynacorn body shell...the real;ity is I wont....I dont have the space to build one, nor to store one when completed. Same reason why I dont already own a toy car for the week-end...

With that being said...I dont think the Camaro will be a sales dud...but I donty think iot will age well either...

Look for a quick face-lifted refresh as early as year 2 and a total body rework in the very short term like in year 3 or 4 is what Im sayin'...

Edited by oldshurst442

The thing is, I've also seen the Camaro in person.

I don't think the styling is a departure, it looks very similar - but it kind of just looks like what I wished the 5th gen would have looked like, lean and ready for blood.

The Mustang looks very pretty. What they did to the rear haunches, the presence is there. The Camaro, only by being someone who talks about it all the time do I think gives a real menacing look.

If I was a lay person on these matters, I'd gravitate to the Mustang solely on looks every time.

• Agree 1

Yup, Suave.

Same thoughts about wishing the 2016 was indeed the Camaro we got in 2010.

If anything though, I do prefer the Camaro's interior over the Mustang's.

As far as sight lines go, I really dont have an issue with it. I recently drove a 2013 model. V6. Not much worse than a 1979 with those shade things on the back wrap around glass.

I have been gravitating towards the Mustang since 2005.

I have never taken sides nor loyal to any of the two pony cars of the Mustang/Camaro wars...

But since 2005, the Mustang is winning the battle.

King Cobra versus Rallye Sport and the 6.6L wins.

5.0 versus IROC and the GTA wins.

4.6 versus SS and the WS6 Ram Air wins.

In the 1970s and the 1980s, the Camaro gets the nod over the Mustang since I HATE the Mustangs of those years.  By default, the Camaro gets the nudge over the Mustang.

In the late 1990s/early 2000s, the Mustang and Camaro get equal treatment of liking from me. I like a Steve McQueen edition and a Cobra R as much as Ilike a 1997 SS 30 th Anniversary and final 35th Anniversary...but its the Trans Am, that takes it all each and every time.

So...as you guys could see, Im really not biased against one or the other.

I calls it how I sees it.

• Agree 1

Ford has an interesting development going on.

The Mustang is selling really well overseas, much better than expectations because buyers love the intense association with the Pony Car lifestyle, the branding and just the American values that are depicted by the product. 

Certainly, it also fulfills some volume goals, but the car isn't getting too much direct competition either. 

None of it really is about hardcore performance. The car, I guess made to make  the Pony car approachable for worldwide consumption. That's why the car looks more like a sporty coupe than a butch Mustang - but again, it redefines how the car should look, and what brand image it should garner.

I like how it did.

Also, I don't know why but the Shelby was compared to a Z51 Corvette, and I'm just gonna say whatever the result was, America won, again. Just brush away the 2 point victory for one of the cars... 

But I gotta hand them to it, I would expect a top of the line Mustang to be able to roar alongside a Corvette.

What does it mean when somebody's name has "quitters" next to it?

Did they close their account? Kicked out? Haven't posted anything in X days/months?

i was curious of that as well. it cant be the posting thing, i was essentially MIA in posts for nearly a year here.

Edited by cletus8269

That moment when you realize that binge-watching Barrett-Jackson is probably beyond your abilities.

5 years ago, I went to Barrett-Jackson (Scottsdale) and spent 7 hours wandering around looking at everything...trying to see everything.  It's become so huge...I compressed my visit into less than 3 hours this year..the first time I went, 15 years ago, it was a much smaller event...

What does it mean when somebody's name has "quitters" next to it?

Did they close their account? Kicked out? Haven't posted anything in X days/months?

i was curious of that as well. it cant be the posting thing, i was essentially MIA in posts for nearly a year here.

Where are you guys seeing this quitters?

Ehh, it's just better to put it on the shelf and let it catch dust.

If you see it again anywhere, you'll know why the instant it happens.

Anyways... RANDOM THOUGHTS!!!

I have a midterm tomorrow that I did the practice questions too, eventually got the right answer, looked back at the solutions...

waited 5 minutes, did the questions ... again

and then said to myself "how da dafuq did I get the answer the first tyme?"

Well...good luck in your mid term tomorrow Suave...

The only math Ill be concentration soon is:

A field goal = 3 points

A touch down = 6 points

The extra kick if succesful = 1 point

Therefore 6 + 1 = 7 points for a successful touch down!

LETS GET READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!

And good luck to  you Suave!!!

It's on my bucket list. Go down to Scottsdale and buy some old hooptie with credit-card money...

That moment when you realize that binge-watching Barrett-Jackson is probably beyond your abilities.

5 years ago, I went to Barrett-Jackson (Scottsdale) and spent 7 hours wandering around looking at everything...trying to see everything.  It's become so huge...I compressed my visit into less than 3 hours this year..the first time I went, 15 years ago, it was a much smaller event...

i find it amazing how you can get some screaming deals on nice cars the firs couple of days. i was flabbergasted one year when a droptop 70 olds cutlass with a 455 and an automatic went for $15000. it was brown on brown but was a solid $30k car had it been sold on friday, but it went across on a wednesday and somebody pocketed a steal.