Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

4 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

More Montreal Botanical Guarden...I love this...

Image may contain: 1 person, plant, outdoor and nature

Thank you.  I love the Montreal Botanical Garden ... the whole city and area, actually.  Easily my favorite city in Canada.  Even before it became cool and the hipsters and counterculture idiots descended on the Plateau neighborhood.  I have only seen the botanical garden in the fall.  They indicate with signage that the visitor's experience will differ depending on the month and season in which they are visiting.  I'm sure that spring and summer might have more ideal conditions in the botanical garden while, in fall, there's a tradeoff because you get peak autumn color instead.  

17 minutes ago, David said:

Same here, freezing weather this weekend with the start of Snow in the Mountains Saturday Night and then snow moving into the low lands for Seattle by monday.

That's one of the nicer things about the Seattle area.  It gets dusted infrequently, lightly, and it melts quickly but, while it lasts, it's downright glorious.  The best view is driving across the floating bridges westward into the city and seeing the snow capped Olympics in the distance on a cold, clear day.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Even before it became cool and the hipsters and counterculture idiots descended on the Plateau neighborhood.

Many Montrealers feel the same way about that neighborhood.  

It started getting that way in the mid-1990s. 

Ill tell you one thing though about Le Plateau IN the 1990s...I dated some really freaky chicks that lived in the neighborhood at the time.

When this song came out...I immediately had some flashbacks.  

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

One of my favorite players when i was young....

I never got to see him play. He retired before I had a chance. 

But...I got to see Barry Bonds as a Pirate and a Giant at the Olympic Stadium many many times.  I LOVED Barry.  Many folk crapped his way. I found him to be entertaining on and off the field. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Crap ton of deer while I was out hiking...I lost count somewhere between 25 and 30

Probably because they travel in groups?  They can be pretty dumb, lazily sauntering across main roads.

In the past, I used to think "ah, deer ... cute."  Now I think fender benders and Lyme disease.

This is my buddy’s dream car, a ‘67 ‘GTO’ (it’s a LeMans with a GTO tail panel welded in).
It’s about ar the same point as my ‘59, so I started trash talking him; saying my car is going to BURY his on the street. They should weigh about the same.
The other day I asked him to remind me what motor is on it. Mine will be a circa 470 CI Buick 455. I had thought he had a Chevy 454 in this, but..... he corrected me. Has a crate 572  with what he claims is 675 HP.
If that’s true, I’m in trouble.

B18049C3-A5CD-48C4-BCAF-9D1220ECAC44.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Sounds like each of you are living your best life.  Now, just to pass the time, I got out my $6 calculator and did a little math.  Seems that at 22 months gestation period, a female elephant could have theoretically brought 46 precocious little bundles of joy into the world in the same period of time it's taken you two to concurrently build your respective projects./CHANGE MY MIND  :smilewide:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 8.37.56 AM.png

I see its for sale.  (Or was? )

Now... would it be a travesty for the new owner to rip the slant 6 out and replace it with a Hellcat powertrain?

Because if I wanted to buy a Charger to restomod and/or and pro-tour it, I wouldnt know and be quite hesitant to do it to this car in particular. 

1. It looks like a PERFECT candidate for such an endeavor. One owner car. Under 30 000 miles. Body and frame look perfect.  No rust etc...

2. BUT...  One owner car with an original engine. Sure its a 6 cylinder, and NOT a Hemi or a 440,  but Im assuming its a very RARE car these days. And the slant 6 was a legendary powerplant in its own right.    I think if it had a 318 under the hood, I wouldnt be asking the same question. 

Im usually one to NOT focus on such things, but sometimes...I do. 

Edited by oldshurst442

So...a little bit of backstory.   Senior high school kids in Quebec go to school every 2nd day. Their off day they do they do the zoom thing. They are also separated by bubbles. (Cue in Seinfeld's Bubble Boy episode RIGHT HERE

I got a call from my daughter yesterday that a kid from her class/bubble got tested positive for Covid. So I had to pick her up from school  because she (and all of her classmates that are in the same bubble)  wasnt allowed on the school bus (and my boy although he was able to take the bus home)

Anyway...long story short.  I got an e-mail letter from le Gouvernement du Québec health département that my daughter and anybody and everybody living in the same house as her gots to get tested for Covid-19.   

So...yippee!!!  I get to get tested for Covidness tomorrow! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Sad 1

I forgot to mention:  My daughter did not hang around that boy because she thinks he is stupid. All of his friends too.  She also said that he had missed the last 2 school days. 

There are several good news to this:

1. Is that she hasnt had any symptoms for at least that many days and even longer...  Could be that she is asymptomatic, but if she has it and now I and the other members of our family have it, well, we havent showed signs of Covid either.

2. Is that she thinks that  boys are stupid. She is 15 and quite smart and quite cute.  I also know that she thinks that most boys are stupid! 

3.  She still finds boys stupid at 15!   I dont have to worry about stupid boys for a tad longer! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Never thought about it before but sure; printed sales brochure for hearses :

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 3.13.21 PM.png

Reminds me of the 007 flick "Diamonds are Forever" where the mortuary company in Las Vegas that was also a front for smuggling diamonds was named Slumber and Company.  As one of the funnier Bond movies, it also had characters the likes of Tiffany Case, Plenty O'Toole, the Whyte House (which would have been the Las Vegas Hilton at the time), and Bambi and Thumper.  

• Agree 1

On 1/22/2021 at 5:10 AM, ykX said:

Guys, lets keep at least this website clear from the politics.

I get enough of that sh@t everywhere else.

Plenty of other subjects to get on each other's nerves ;)

TDS is very real and on full display by a few on here, they just can't help themselves.

Edited by USA-1
  • Agree 1

On 1/22/2021 at 5:48 PM, oldshurst442 said:

I hope your storm does not end up arriving here in Montreal. It sounds that we might get some of that shyte here too.   Ill be listening to the weather guy speak his mind shortly.  

But then again, its been relatively snow free here so, it might not be a bad thing.  

I’m not usually a big fan of snow. But it has been kinda snow free here as well. I think I would be okay with one good old fashioned snow storm. Only catch is the snow can’t hang around too long, as it would help being that polar vortex down. But for a few days, the snow would be calming and kinda refreshing... ? 

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, daves87rs said:

I’m not usually a big fan of snow. But it has been kinda snow free here as well. I think I would be okay with one good old fashioned snow storm. Only catch is the snow can’t hang around too long, as it would help being that polar vortex down. But for a few days, the snow would be calming and kinda refreshing... ? 

Its freakin' cold here today. No snow fall since the last time we chit chatted, but the temps sure did dip. 

We just came back from our Covid testing.  Not as bad as people make it out to be. 

We'll get our results in 24 hours about.

• Agree 3

Not much going down here in NE Ohio..cloudy and 23F today, had the coldest night of the year so far w/ about 19F last night (nothing like the polar vortex lows 2 years ago at this time).   Supposed to get snow flurries today and some later this week...been a pretty mild January. 

On my job search, got about 2 weeks left on my current gig...been through 2nd interviews at two places, had a couple 1st interviews...in talking w/ recruiters late on Friday it sounds like offers may be coming Mon-Tues on a couple of them.. decisions, decisions..both companies in the fin tech space, one a contract w/ a big Western New York company (100% remote) with a traditional software development environment, the other an FTE position with a small local company that is growing and has pretty cutting-edge technology... 

• Agree 3

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/opening-car-windows-could-reduce-165700273.html

Opening your car windows could reduce your COVID-19 risk

But Gary Numan said that

Here in my car, I can feel safest of all. 
I can lock all my doors...
Its the only way to live...in cars.

What is this bulllshyte talk about opening up windows, now? 

You know...Ive started to think
 If I open my windows,  the image breaks down  
I dont really want you...visiting me
Stay 6 phoquing feet away from me, in cars. 
Im leaving tonight
Before the image breaks down....in cars.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/opening-car-windows-could-reduce-165700273.html

But Gary Numan said that

Here in my car, I can feel safest of all. 
I can lock all my doors...
Its the only way to live...in cars.

What is this bulllshyte talk about opening up windows, now? 

I believe that recommendation is for the scenario where you are in an untrusted car with randos (like an Uber ride, taxi ride, ride in the back of a police car, etc) or you are in your own car with randos or other resource units not in your immediate household. 

• Agree 2

55 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I would even recommend that one should open all the windows in the car with All the Hot Air coming from the orifices of certain immediate objects inside that are melting...snow❄️ in the forecast.

Edited by USA-1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

I would even recommend that one should open all the windows in the car with All the Hot Air coming from the orifices of certain immediate objects inside that are melting...snow❄️ in the forecast.

There is hardly any snow around...

Climate change hasnt happened yet in the Great White North just yet...

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

I believe that recommendation is for the scenario where you are in an untrusted car with randos (like an Uber ride, taxi ride, ride in the back of a police car, etc) or you are in your own car with randos or other resource units not in your immediate household. 

Despite what was said...

yeah...I think you are right about being" in an untrusted car with randos (like an Uber ride, taxi ride, ride in the back of a police car, etc) or you are in your own car with randos or other resource units not in your immediate household."

Steubenville, Ohio (I lived there 1971-1981)

662790bc6cc69b2a43dee98330d4db0f.jpg

Below: Port Washington, Ohio (grew up about a mile outside of town, my family has had property there since 1968).  Old pic of the railroad and Ohio & Erie Canal.

e7a166fca2a11bca3b3a8f4bc1e2e54c.jpg

Port Washington elementary school--- I went there 1977-1984,  my sister went there 1968-1971 when my Dad was the district superintendent.  Torn down around 2000 replaced w/ a new school. 

image096.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

We just came back from our Covid testing.  Not as bad as people make it out to be. 

My wife gets to do it at least once a week as a health worker.  Gets old pretty fast.

Edited by ykX
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Flattening the slab for the entertainment center for my friend...

Image may contain: indoor

First coat of oil on, pics don't do it justice, lots of curl and figure in the Cherry...

Image may contain: indoor

At the lumber yard...

No photo description available.

I didn't build it, but also out of Cherry, my friend Matt owns this, Gorgeous. 

No photo description available.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Former mayor of Dayton dies, she was a good woman...

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/first-black-woman-dayton-city-commissioner-bootsie-neal-dies/4QP6ZYMAZREGRPUM7ND76FTT3M/?fbclid=IwAR2mELju22ieGENxTIfwhuarhAh7gU7R9uFdnxBJiSSisZjUMF8Bho6WSqg

IDOTHA BOOTSIE NEAL

This year might be a little rough...

Image may contain: text that says 'The 2021 Kentucky Derby'

Really worthwhile review of the new Ram....

56 minutes ago, ykX said:

My wife gets to do it at least once a week as a health worker.  Gets old pretty fast.

Yeah...I see that!

When I was younger, I had constant nose bleeds. (When the climate be too dry). My mom took me to the doctor and he shove this tall match like thing up my nose to lessen the nose bleeds. I had done that 3 or 4 times.  So the feeling of having a test swab shoved up my nose was not a new thing for me. The pleasant surprise was there was no burning sensation as it was with a nose bleed.

But yeah...doing THAT daily would definitely not be a thing Id like to do! 

PS: Thanx to your wife for staying tough and helping us all out!  Health workers have ALWAYS been important to our society. NOW more than ever! 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3