Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

Tried multiple times, but just do not see what everyone thinks is so great about Breaking Bad. Boring show for me. I will take NCIS or Criminal Minds.

It took me a couple tries to get into it, but I found it fascinating.    I've watched NCIS and Criminal Minds, but I find shows like that to be boring, predictable, formulaic...the writing, acting, cinematography, locations and story hooked me on Breaking Bad...the epic tale of one broken man's rise from obscurity to criminal mastermind... I like the prequel series 'Better Call Saul' also.   

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Tried multiple times, but just do not see what everyone thinks is so great about Breaking Bad. Boring show for me. I will take NCIS or Criminal Minds.

Ahhh those shows drive me nuts.. they seem like the same episode every week. My dad is into all of those shows and they just bore me. To each their own. 

I like a lot of British TV also...as far as the cold case/murder genres, the UK crime shows are better IMO than the US ones....I like Waking the Dead (not to be confused with The Walking Dead zombiefest) in particular.   Also Sherlock, New Tricks, George Gently ('60s set Northern England crime show), Broadchurch, River (recent short run show w/ Stellan Skarsgard), Wallander (filmed in Sweden w/ Kenneth Branaugh). 

The recent Amazon series Bosch was excellent also, derived from Michael Connelly's long running novels. 

So, we lost power last night.

And then got rudely awakened at 3 am when it came back on.

My head...is aching.

My furnace went out a couple weeks ago...was fun to go to sleep when it was 73 in the house, wake up at 3am w/ the A/C blowing cold and it down to 62...turned it off, woke up in the morning to 59 degrees inside.  Got it repaired, but had a night without the furnace at all as they had to wait on a part...

So, we lost power last night.

And then got rudely awakened at 3 am when it came back on.

My head...is aching.

#Wynneing

Well bro, with sleep deprivation a constant issue for me (because I cannot naturally fall asleep)... zombie mode is no fun mode.

So yes, whiny little suavy kiddy. 

• Agree 1

Since I've been on staycation since last Thursday, I've had great sleep...been able to stay up till 10:30 or 11 and sleep in until 7-7:30 (still dark then).   It's great not getting up at my normal 5-5:30 during the work week. 

My sister and I are a lot more similar than we'd like to admit, but only we would know it.

My sister and I joke about being twins separated by 13 years..we are so alike in so many ways, personality, interests, etc.   Our older brother, though, may as well be from a different planet..we are so different and incompatible. 

Dead battery in the Jeep. Called AAA, got here in 20 min. Checked the paperwork, battery less than 2 years old (18 months is the normal lifespan here). Free replacement since still under warranty.

Sorry... whenever the word warranty comes up now...

Oh man, a high degradation rate of batteries in a specific location, probably attributable to the ambient temperature and drain/charge cycles endemic to that region. Reasons that the owner of the battery can probably enumerate.

Must be n00bs that make the batteries.

Or must be a generous warranty that makes the battery look bad. 

Oh dear heavens, whatever must I do? Which argument makes more sense?!! 

El Nino gave me perfect convertible weather, so I wasn't complaining when I had the top down on Christmas day.

Definitely convertible weather here, 60s and sunny today.   But down in the 30s at night...

Guns n' Roses is reuniting. Holy poop.

With Axl, Slash, Duff, etc? Hell hath frozen over...

Id like to think of it this way:  that their Civil War has ended and are now returning Back to the Jungle.

They learned that the grass is not greener on the other side...but in Paradise City, a city they should have never left in the first place,  the grass is as green as it gets. But they are a lot older now...I wonder if the girls are still pretty.

In the end, all what they really needed was a little Patience.

I wonder if Bob Guccione, Jr. had something to do with this...maybe it was Mr Brownstone...

I know one thing...both Axel and Slash were waaaaaaay outta line. With Axel's bitch slap rappin' and Slash's cocaine tongue, they got nuthin done!  They should have lived...but they decided to let die...Its a shame....because they hit the world stage like a Locomotive...but I doubt them being alone all this time in the cold November Rain will have them back Knock Knock Knockin' on Heaven's door..hey hey hey yeah! That Rocket Queen is Yesterday's  Garden of Eden.

I never did Cry the night they broke up, because  I never did like them as a group. I was never a Sweet Child o' Theirs.

Strange though, I have bought several of their tapes and CONTINUE to listen to their songs over and over and over again.  I like their music. Just not them as a group.

Appetite for Destruction

Lies

Use Your Illusions I&II

Yes...even the Spaghetti Incident...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

You're just ticked off 'cause they caused an epic riot in Montreal back in the day. Well, that and the fact that James Hetfield nearly got blown up by pyro the same night.

That was a great night!

I was working that night. A friend of mine was actually at that concert. He left when all that crap happened to join me where I worked and we went to a strip joint after my shift ended.

My partner had a near death experience with his Tesla yesterday.

Tesla Model S' are programmed to use engine breaking to reduce speed. This helps gain a few extra miles through regenerative braking that use that energy while slowing down and stopping to recharge the battery to gain a few miles...

Well, in snow and ice...you need to reduce speed...fast...so...while the Model S does a fine job getting the speed down and actually stop the car and use little to no conventional brakes to come to a halt in dry weather...in snow...the conventional brakes dont kick in fast enough because of all that snow collected on the calipers because regenerative braking does not allow to melt or get the snow off, so, the conventional brakes dont come on immediately.

He told me it took a good 4 seconds before they came on...

4 seconds is a helluva long time.

He ditched the car in a snow bank at one corner so he could avoid smashing into the guy in front of him. No damage done....but a few heart attacks were had.

He called up Tesla and asked them...WTF???!!!

The technician told him that he could turn off regenerative braking for the winter so the car could use the regular brakes. The technician also told him that most people opt for that option in snowy areas.

As much as I like Tesla....this to me is a huge mistake and very disappointing to not tell him what happens in the winter with regenerative braking!

Maybe the technicians and sales staff that sold him the car....maybe they should have warned him about that...BEFORE he had a chance to kill himself!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Tesla Model S' are programmed to use engine breaking to reduce speed. This helps gain a few extra miles through regenerative braking that use that energy while slowing down and stopping to recharge the battery to gain a few miles...

Well, in snow and ice...you need to reduce speed...fast...so...while the Model S does a fine job getting the speed down and actually stop the car and use little to no conventional brakes to come to a halt in dry weather...in snow...the conventional brakes dont kick in fast enough because of all that snow collected on the calipers because regenerative braking does not allow to melt or get the snow off, so, the conventional brakes dont come on immediately.

He ditched the car in a snow bank at one corner so he could avoid smashing into the guy in front of him. No damage done....but a few heart attacks were had.

The technician told him that he could turn off regenerative braking for the winter so the car could use the regular brakes. The technician also told him that most people opt for that option in snowy areas.

As much as I like Tesla....this to me is a huge mistake and very disappointing to not tell him what happens in the winter with regenerative braking!

Maybe the technicians and sales staff that sold him the car....maybe they should have warned him about that...BEFORE he had a chance to kill himself!

Glad to hear he is ok and you guys just had to deal with the stress of the scary situation. Totally agree that they need to communicate this better to users on when to use specific features during specific times of year.

Weird that GM, Ford and Chrysler have had regenerative brakes for years and never had to have them be turned off for the winter. Something just does not sound right to me about that.

First, Very thankful no incidents occurred and everybody was okay. So... the way their brakes work is upon initially touching the brake pedal the motors just go into an aggressive regenerative braking mode until the pedal is pushed harder and in this situation because everything was so cold from essentially never being used they just didn't work right away? Or was it just that because they aren't used it was just all cold and snowy up in the brakes that the performance was junk and took a few seconds to heat up the brakes? I'm not trying to take away from how scary that would be driving and trying to slow down and for four seconds there is just no brakes. That would scare the hell out of me! 

I mean, I kind of agree that they need to convey this much better to the customers but it's kind of like traction control/stability control in the snow for every car, we aren't warned about how we could get stuck with them on but we know sometimes you can get through more snow with them turned off. That is something no dealer tells people but we know to do it. I think in this case because of WHERE he bought the car(anywhere in Canada) that the dealer should have just had common sense to give your partner a heads up. But maybe he just didn't know himself. It's such an odd scenario that as a dealer I could see myself not telling somebody about this completely innocently. I say this because I would think most of the time braking you'd still touch the brakes a little to at least keep them marginally warm and snow-free so when you need them they're just more ready. 

Odd scenario, Odd results, Glad everybody was okay! 

Edited by ccap41

I am willing to bet that option is in the manual though so there is that. There is a reason why they are there and I would definitely read one front to back where an all electric car is concerned. 

Well guys...I dont know what to tell you.  Im not the one that bought the car. I wasnt the one to deal with the technicians and the sales staff, nor do I have the owner's manual. (shout out to Surreal)  Im not the one to have driven the car in the snow storm we had...a very nice 39.2 cm of snow....15.4 inches...anyway...

Point being is that my partner is not a car enthusiast and I am.

I know of the potential hazards of moisture on the brake calipers and to at least pump the brakes before hand to get friction going on to dry the brakes as soon as possible...

I think this was the situation CCAP

the way their brakes work is upon initially touching the brake pedal the motors just go into an aggressive regenerative braking mode until the pedal is pushed harder and in this situation because everything was so cold from essentially never being used they just didn't work right away

Plus there was a snow storm right....so there must have been snow and ice collected on the calipers and the discs...so by the time the computer reacted to stop regen braking and switch to conventional braking and by the time the friction gotthe snow and ice off, 4 seconds  or so elapsed....and 4 seconds in ANY situation is a long time when you need to stop now...dont forget....although in the snow storm we had, the conditions were not that slippery, you are still braking in snow...

They should be able to program the Tesla to detect when it isn't stopping as fast as it should be an automatically override the engine braking.  Cadillacs can detect rain and will regularly dry the brake rotors.

I believe there are 3 levels of regen braking.

Normal, Low and Off to which the user chooses what settings he prefers.

But yeah...they should make a software program where the car detects this and switches automatically....

Regardless if its in the manual....who reads those anyway? I do...most dont...like CCAP said...we live in Canada...Tesla is supposed to be UNLIKE regualr dealerships in where the sales staff KNOWS the product...they should have VERBALLY mentioned it!!!

But yes Surreal, it is a car unlike no other, some blame...MOST blame goes on him for maybe not reading the manual properly, and becoming MORE familiar with the car he bought. I was NEVER the one to blame a manufacturer or a product for incompetence...but...in this case...when the technician ACKNOWLEDGES similar problems across snowy areas, a reminder of what may happen is a welcoming advice.

Its not as if he bought the car in the summer, he took delivery of it in December....winter time...

This does NOT take away from me loving the car....its just strengthening my position in thinking that NO COMPANY truly gives a rat's ass about the customer....it will ALWAYS be the bottom line BEFORE the customer. Long gone are the days where the reverse was true...

And thanx for your concerns. Yeah...we are both laughing at the situation now....Im disappointed in this little mis-communication,  he even less...but he did have a scare.

Edited by oldshurst442

Well guys...I dont know what to tell you.  Im not the one that bought the car. I wasnt the one to deal with the technicians and the sales staff, nor do I have the owner's manual. (shout out to Surreal)  Im not the one to have driven the car in the snow storm we had...a very nice 39.2 cm of snow....15.4 inches...anyway...

I know of the potential hazards of moisture on the brake calipers and to at least pump the brakes before hand to get friction going on to dry the brakes as soon as possible...

the way their brakes work is upon initially touching the brake pedal the motors just go into an aggressive regenerative braking mode until the pedal is pushed harder and in this situation because everything was so cold from essentially never being used they just didn't work right away

Plus there was a snow storm right....so there must have been snow and ice collected on the calipers and the discs...so by the time the computer reacted to stop regen braking and switch to conventional braking and by the time the friction gotthe snow and ice off, 4 seconds  or so elapsed....and 4 seconds in ANY situation is a long time when you need to stop now...dont forget....although in the snow storm we had, the conditions were not that slippery, you are still braking in snow...

They should be able to program the Tesla to detect when it isn't stopping as fast as it should be an automatically override the engine braking.  Cadillacs can detect rain and will regularly dry the brake rotors.

Normal, Low and Off.

But yeah...they should make a software program where the car detects this and switches automatically....

Regardless if its in the manual....who reads those anyway? I do...most dont...like CCAP said...we live in Canada...Tesla is supposed to be UNLIKE regualr dealerships in where the sales staff KNOWS the product...they should have VERBALLY mentioned it!!!

This does NOT take away from me loving the car....its just strengthening my position in thinking that NO COMPANY truly gives a rat's ass about the customer....it will ALWAYS be the bottom line BEFORE the customer. Long gone are the days where the reverse was true...

And thanx for your concerns. Yeah...we are both laughing at the situation now....Im disappointed in this little mis-communication,  he even less...but he did have a scare.

Sorry Olds but when one doesn't bother to read a manual on a car as new and unique as the Tesla S, then I don't have a whole lot of sympathy. You also don't know that they did not mention it to him and he just forgot. It has happened to me more times than I can count. Not calling your friends a liar by any means but we are all human and sometimes we forget things.

Normal, Low and Off.

Sorry Olds but when one doesn't bother to read a manual on a car as new and unique as the Tesla S, then I don't have a whole lot of sympathy. You also don't know that they did not mention it to him and he just forgot. It has happened to me more times than I can count. Not calling your friends a liar by any means but we are all human and sometimes we forget things.

I thought of that as well. Especially being a non-enthusiast a lot of things probably go over his head(in the car world - because he just doesn't care..like the vast majority of the world, I don't mean this in an offensive manner just that we're different than most with our automobiles)

No....it was NOT mentioned to him...

He has a memory like a sponge.

He is very attentive...

Maybe it is NOT in the manual...maybe he read it...and he did not come across anything on that situation...

I did not question him  on that, because quite frankly, Tesla prides itself on its customer service and encourages you to use their free 1-800 number to ask their technicians ANYTHING!!!  ANYTIME!!!!

Plus....Tesla has a on-line forum on their website where Tesla owners compare and contrast their experiences...

All this to tell you that Tesla wants to be known as a human company where everybody is encouraged to communicate with each other...on a PERSONAL BASIS...IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MENTIONED WHEN HE TOOK DELIVERY OF THE CAR...especially when the explanations of how Tesla's regen braking works....

Again, Im not the one to blame this on Tesla and make it seem like my partner is faultless, he is a big boy and he knows what he could have done to prevent this situation regardless of the regen braking snafu...

If you read what Drew said about Cadillac and how GM has software for a similar braking situation, Tesla whose Model S is ALL ABOUT software should have thought of this angle...ESPECIALLY when its a COMMON problem...

In this case...El Kabong may have hit the nail on the head....rookies building cars....and you dont know how much I hate that line when El K uses it on Tesla...

No offense taken Surreal....Its just that it aint as cut and dry as you think it is with owner's manuals....

Like you and I said...the Model S is NOT unlike any other car...and the Tesla buying experience is NOT like regualr car dealerships...especially when Tesla prides itself as a more personal buying experience...

And yes CCAP....we are a different breed...

I was SHOCKED when he bought a Model S...I thought he was going for a Volt...

No offense taken...it is reality...

It is second nature for us to overcome these kinds of situations because we read about them in car enthusiast areas....people like my partner only learn about it when they come across it, like a VIRGIN.....we know how to react because we are INFORMED BEFORE it happens to us!!!

Edited by oldshurst442

He is very attentive...

Maybe it is NOT in the manual...maybe he read it...and he did not come across anything on that situation...

I did not question him  on that, because quite frankly, Tesla prides itself on its customer service and encourages you to use their free 1-800 number to ask their technicians ANYTHING!!!

Plus....Tesla has a on-line forum on their website where Tesla owners compare and contrast their experiences...

All this to tell you that Tesla wants to be known as a human company where everybody is encouraged to communicate with each other...on a PERSONAL BASIS...

Again, Im not the one to blame this on Tesla and make it seem like my partner is faultless, he is a big boy and he knows what he could have done to prevent this situation regardless of the regen braking snafu...

If you read what Drew said about Cadillac and how GM has software for a similar braking situation, Tesla whose Model S is ALL ABOUT software should have thought of this angle...ESPECIALLY when its a COMMON problem...

In this case...El Kabong may have hot the nail on the head....rookies building cars....and you dont know how much I hate that line when El K uses it on Tesla...

"Rookies building cars" would be valid if these types of things didn't also happen to the old guard as well, which they do obviously. What's their excuse?

I see what you are saying about the rest of the situation though and just to be clear, I am not attacking your friend in any way. I just know that we are all happen. Even sponges dry up from time to time and stop absorbing.

He is very attentive...

I did not question him  on that, because quite frankly, Tesla prides itself on its customer service and encourages you to use their free 1-800 number to ask their technicians ANYTHING!!!

All this to tell you that Tesla wants to be known as a human company where everybody is encouraged to communicate with each other...on a PERSONAL BASIS...

In this case...El Kabong may have hot the nail on the head....rookies building cars....and you dont know how much I hate that line when El K uses it on Tesla...

GM has been doing that for years now with their rain sensing systems. I don't know if it is only on Cadillacs but it's a great thought. I believe the pads will gently kiss the rotors every once in awhile just enough to keep it all dry. I'm also not sure on the rights to that system GM uses. For all I know it is patented well enough nobody else can touch it, I don't know. 

At CCAP and Surreal...

I edited my post you both quoted me on...

Please re-read it because I dont want you guys to think I took anything you guys said was offensive to me.

And yup Surreal....the old guard keeps repeating the same mistakes over and over again...THAT is why I HATE it when EL K mentions it for Tesla!

Last year I started a new tradition for new years. I brought a bag of nerf guns and told everyone to let it rip after the ball dropped, it was the best new years party we've had in over a decade. This year is going to be savage!

If this sounds even a LITTLE bit fun, you need to try it. Screw confetti and noise makers. You're never too old for nerf.

2nd_Annual_Nerf_War.jpg

At CCAP and Surreal...

Please re-read it because I dont want you guys to think I took anything you guys said was offensive to me.

And yup Surreal....the old guard keeps repeating the same mistakes over and over again...THAT is why I HATE it when EL K mentions it for Tesla!

But the thing is, the old guard doesn't repeat the same mistakes. Any recalls the old guard have to issue have to do with execution of something g they already know how to do-they're cheap instead of ignorant, in other words.

Tesla is riding a brutally steep learning curve, not merely because of their propulsion system, but because they truly don't know how to build cars all that well. Perhaps they will eventually if the money and customer goodwill doesn't run out. But as you yourself mentioned, your partner regards the car as a status symbol or appliance moreso than a car. In such a situation it is even more critical for a manufacturer to build something that even a non-gearhead can operate safely.

At CCAP and Surreal...

But the thing is, the old guard doesn't repeat the same mistakes. Any recalls the old guard have to issue have to do with execution of something g they already know how to do-they're cheap instead of ignorant, in other words.

Tesla is riding a brutally steep learning curve, not merely because of their propulsion system, but because they truly don't know how to build cars all that well. Perhaps they will eventually if the money and customer goodwill doesn't run out. But as you yourself mentioned, your partner regards the car as a status symbol or appliance moreso than a car. In such a situation it is even more critical for a manufacturer to build something that even a non-gearhead can operate safely.

I dont know if I want to agree with this post or disagree.

I will however agree with this statement 100%

In such a situation it is even more critical for a manufacturer to build something that even a non-gearhead can operate safely.

Regarding why my partner bought the Model S?

I dont know why?

I dont know how he views it.

He is not the one to flaunt, so it may not be as a status symbol...however, he did like the fact that I got an Acura...yes...as a badge. His former car was a Subaru Legacy. His wife still has a 2006 GMC Acadia.  Runs beautifully and is in no hurry to change it...

As an appliance?

For sure!

His main goal was to get off of oil.

I thought he was gonna get a Chevy Volt, he really liked the first generation. He test drove it and all and wanted to wait for the second generation to come out.

He did not wait....he pulled the trigger on the Tesla...

Why?

Because it is not a Chevy?

I think Ill ask him on Monday when I see him again.

We are closed tomorrow.

I dont work Saturday, he does.

I work Sunday, he doesnt.