Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

Went to a college orientation (for my son, not me). During his presentation on campus security, the head of that department showed his cashed check for his fall 1970 semester tuition at the school : $775. You should've heard the unsettled groan that went up from the crowd.

Adjusted for inflation, that would equal $4,660 in 2014.

The actual semester tuition at this same school now is $16,950.

Went over to the Dragon Buffet in my 2015 Chevy Colorado gasoline-powered pickup truck.  Got a nice chunk of salmon, a pile of rice noodle with veggies, some sort of green salad with bits of rawr fish in it, a spoonful of wasabi, a small pile of pickled ginger, a watermelon wedge, two chunks of pineapple, two almond shortbread cookies, and a glassful of unsweetened tea wit lemon.

• Agree 1

Volts x amps = Watts

Amps x ohms = Volts

I'm not going to type out the rest.

K. What gauge wire should I use to run (3) 6V taillight & brake light bulbs on a 14' run? :)

All depends on the amperage load. If you're going to use LED's then you could get by with smaller gauge wire. If you're going to use incandescent bulbs with, say, a resistance of three Ohms each would give the total resistance of 1 Ohm for a circuit wired in parallel. This would give you a 6 Amp load on the circuit, which means you could probably still get away with small ass wire. I'd go 18 AWG and not think twice about it, but you can go smaller. Fourteen feet of 18 AWG wont even give you a tenth of an Ohm of resistance in that run. 

Edited by Thed

Had the internet, cable tv,and home phone service out for 2 days.  Cox Cable gave me a service window of 10-12 this morning, they finally showed up at 1:30.   Was a problem w/ a connection in the alley. again.   I managed to get by using my iPhone as a hot spot to connect my laptop and tabby to.

^ They make 6V LEDs? This is for automotive use.

Why don't you just drive over here and help me re-wire my '40. :)

There are some out there, don't know where to look for them, though. 

If you're in NC or southern Virginia I'd consider the drive

I just realized today that I'm sort of a workaholic stuck in work mode all the time.... yet I just came from a vacation two days ago. Why do I not feel well rested?

Ugh that sucks! That's gotta be frustrating not being able to detach from the job on your time off.

I've found as an adult that I find less enjoyment in travelling to a destination than just having time off at home to enjoy my hobbies. I'm uncomfortable enough just spending hundreds frivolously to have "fun" on vacation, and then I have limited internet access, can't play music (piano/keyboard), and lose all the privacy and amenities of my sweet "man cave" at home in exchange for the constant forced shared space. I guess I'm weird in that way.

I just realized today that I'm sort of a workaholic stuck in work mode all the time.... yet I just came from a vacation two days ago. Why do I not feel well rested?

Ugh that sucks! That's gotta be frustrating not being able to detach from the job on your time off.

I've found as an adult that I find less enjoyment in travelling to a destination than just having time off at home to enjoy my hobbies. I'm uncomfortable enough just spending hundreds frivolously to have "fun" on vacation, and then I have limited internet access, can't play music (piano/keyboard), and lose all the privacy and amenities of my sweet "man cave" at home in exchange for the constant forced shared space. I guess I'm weird in that way.

Man, I feel the same exact way! No, you're not weird at all. I feel the same way about vacations..

Man, I feel the same exact way! No, you're not weird at all. I feel the same way about vacations..

Thank you!! I felt like I was losing my mind while away last year. Sitting poolside or on the beach, my girlfriend was fully content reading or laying down from 10am to 3pm. Maybe 30 minutes swimming, maybe a break to throw a ball/frisbee or take a walk.

I was going stir crazy, and what else did I have to do? Just some sh*t I brought from home to fill the void of being away: car magazines and a PSP loaded with old playstation classics. So I have a beach backdrop just to enjoy the "diet" version of my favorite pastimes. Awesome... and I paid for that?

I'm the same way.   It makes it even bigger that I travel all the time for work so I'm never home.  Vacation for me would be a week in my own bed.

That said... if I ever get caught up at home, i'd like to go back to Boulder, CO again and spend a week hiking. 

• Agree 1

I'm the same way.   It makes it even bigger that I travel all the time for work so I'm never home.  Vacation for me would be a week in my own bed.

That said... if I ever get caught up at home, i'd like to go back to Boulder, CO again and spend a week hiking. 

Going away for vacation always sounds good until you actually get there.  Then you find yourself in a hotel room that isn't as comfortable as home, away from the various things you're used to, paying a lot more for food because your well-stocked fridge isn't right there.  Then you actually go to some attraction or another where things get more expensive and you wind up blowing your budget on the souvenirs everyone just HAS to have.  Then again, if I'm doing something like that, it isn't for me, because my fun will be minimal.  I would do all that for my son, though, and no matter how much it sucked it would be worth it to see him have a wonderful time.  So, I get wanting to just stay at home and relax for vacation, it is my ideal option generally, but I also get the draw of a getaway vacation, at least if you have kids.

• Agree 2

Yeah, I feel that a way a lot. The joys of being freelance writer.

I'm trying to give myself a break. But its so hard since you have to do the work to get paid.

I've enjoyed a lot of long-haul 1-2 week vacations in the past, but 10-15 hours of flying on each end made them endurance events and not completely relaxing.  Most of the vacations I've taken in recent years have been long weekends to West Coast Indy Car or NASCAR races coupled with a few quiet days at a nice hotel on a beach or in wine country...where I would disconnect and catch up on sleep.  I love simple sleepcations---go to a local resort (esp. in off-season) and pretty much do nothing but sleep for the weekend and enjoy the restaurants.  

• Agree 1

Going away for vacation always sounds good until you actually get there.  Then you find yourself in a hotel room that isn't as comfortable as home, away from the various things you're used to, paying a lot more for food because your well-stocked fridge isn't right there.  Then you actually go to some attraction or another where things get more expensive and you wind up blowing your budget on the souvenirs everyone just HAS to have.  Then again, if I'm doing something like that, it isn't for me, because my fun will be minimal.  I would do all that for my son, though, and no matter how much it sucked it would be worth it to see him have a wonderful time.  So, I get wanting to just stay at home and relax for vacation, it is my ideal option generally, but I also get the draw of a getaway vacation, at least if you have kids.

Oh I don't travel like that at all... I pretty much never buy any souvenirs.  I like to use AirBnB for that sort of travel so I eat at the location I'm staying a lot instead of eating out.  For me, it's all about getting out into nature. 

I've enjoyed a lot of long-haul 1-2 week vacations in the past, but 10-15 hours of flying on each end made them endurance events and not completely relaxing.  Most of the vacations I've taken in recent years have been long weekends to West Coast Indy Car or NASCAR races coupled with a few quiet days at a nice hotel on a beach or in wine country...where I would disconnect and catch up on sleep.  I love simple sleepcations---go to a local resort (esp. in off-season) and pretty much do nothing but sleep for the weekend and enjoy the restaurants.  

That sounds really nice.  There is a semi-local resort here that I've been thinking of doing that with if I ever catch some time to breath.  It would violate my cheapwad tendencies a bit, but I've stayed there once for business and I was smitten with the place. 

I should look into that.

• Agree 1

So at the start of this year, I decided to start reading through my collection of books that are only taking up the limited space in my closet and gathering up dust. At the current time, I have finished about 12 to 15 books and a few I have come across from the library. It has reignited my love of reading, something that was going extinct due to current work I deal with.

Its nice to get back and read.

So at the start of this year, I decided to start reading through my collection of books that are only taking up the limited space in my closet and gathering up dust. At the current time, I have finished about 12 to 15 books and a few I have come across from the library. It has reignited my love of reading, something that was going extinct due to current work I deal with.

Its nice to get back and read.

I wish I had the time.  There are so many books on the list of things I want to read, and just no time to get to it.

^ Hence; thou keen observer! :)

- - - - -

Sold some misc flotsam to a local father/son last night, so they got a tour of my shop.

This morning the son, I think he's about 25, called me up and started serious conversation RE buying my first car, which has been in storage now for 25 years. I have never advertised it, nor really evaluated what I would ask, tho I did throw out a number. He threw out a close counter-offer… and I am torn. LOT of sentimentality tied up in that car. Have to ponder deeply...

1934552_100804119932091_1359484_n.jpg?oh

I am bored again, and I feel a new thread coming on.  Hopefully this will be more successful than the last couple I tried to start, but I'm not holding my breath.  Music has very much been on my mind lately, so that is the way I think I'm going.....

I wish I had the time.  There are so many books on the list of things I want to read, and just no time to get to it.

I have to make the time read them. But there are so many other things I wish I had the time for and don't. That's life I guess.

Yeah, my last job I could get some reading in during the downtime, but I was the boss(ish) there, so had some more leeway.  If they caught me doing that here, despite the extended downtime, I'd be out the door really quickly.

I have to make the time read them. But there are so many other things I wish I had the time for and don't. That's life I guess.

I try and read for an hour or so every night before I go to sleep...either on my Kindle or a physical book.   

I try and read for an hour or so every night before I go to sleep...either on my Kindle or a physical book.   

It's a good idea, but if I let myself read too close to heading to bed, I'll never get to sleep.  That's the danger, when I get really locked into a book I'm enjoying I lose track of time, and sometimes even my surroundings.  It can be very worth it, though.  As horrible as this is going to sound, my best time for reading is usually when I go to the restroom.  It tends to make for some really long restroom breaks, but it's quiet, no one will bother me, and there is nothing else right there to distract me.

Edit:  I can't make myself do e-books, though I try.  There is just something about the experience of having a paperback in my hands (yes, it has to be paperback, I don't like the feel of the paper in hardbacks), feeling the pages in my fingers, anticipating that next turn...it's not just the story that makes it great, it's the experience.

Edited by SalesmanSean

I used to have a Kindle (Paperwhite) and I loved it, except when I figured out that the light it emits kept me from falling asleep. Also, I was buying too many books and not reading them. I sold it a while back.

Might get another one though.

This morning the son, I think he's about 25, called me up and started serious conversation RE buying my first car, which has been in storage now for 25 years. I have never advertised it, nor really evaluated what I would ask, tho I did throw out a number. He threw out a close counter-offer… and I am torn. LOT of sentimentality tied up in that car. Have to ponder deeply...

1934552_100804119932091_1359484_n.jpg?oh

What year is that Gran Prix balthy?

I used to have a Kindle (Paperwhite) and I loved it, except when I figured out that the light it emits kept me from falling asleep. Also, I was buying too many books and not reading them. I sold it a while back.

Might get another one though.

I've read that it's not good for going to sleep to use a lighted reader before bed...I have a 1st gen Kindle and a Kindle Fire HD tablet, which I use the most..probably not good to have the backlit screen in a dark room before bedtime, but I have strong meds to knock me out after 9:30 (500mg of prescription sleeping pills) 

Had the internet, cable tv,and home phone service out for 2 days.  Cox Cable gave me a service window of 10-12 this morning, they finally showed up at 1:30.   Was a problem w/ a connection in the alley. again.   I managed to get by using my iPhone as a hot spot to connect my laptop and tabby to.

Looks like Cox Cable are a bunch of Dicks...you know...for making you wait that extra hour and a half.

But mostly, I just wanted to mention Cox and Dicks in the same sentence. :D

Edited by oldshurst442

Looks like Cox Cable are a bunch of Dicks...you know...for making you wait that extra hour and a half.

LoL...I do wonder if any of the cable services have good customer service. I had Comcast when I lived in Denver, they were fair... long ago I had Adelphia..had just moved in, they were coming out to set up the cable and phone..had a window, never showed up. I called them (on my cell), they said they had tried calling me to reschedule..it was the new number they were coming to set up that they were calling..  ARGGGGHHH

LoL...I do wonder if any of the cable services have good customer service. I had Comcast when I lived in Denver, they were fair... long ago I had Adelphia..had just moved in, they were coming out to set up the cable and phone..had a window, never showed up. I called them (on my cell), they said they had tried calling me to reschedule..it was the new number they were coming to set up that they were calling..  ARGGGGHHH

I wouldnt complain.

I am from Canada.

Alls we got up here for internet/phone/TV services is Bell, Rogers and Videotron.

I aint gonna start ranting about how expensive all these guys are nor how crappy their service is...I am in a nice serene place right about now...I dont want to leave the zen thingy I have got going on.  I do understand your frustrations though.

Fotolia_61736691_XS.jpg

Edited by oldshurst442

Well...........writing as someone who has sold a bunch of "sentimental" cars the last 2+ years ... if you don't HAVE to sell it ... & KNOW you want to keep it ... don't sell it.  You'll regret it.  I'm now having to consider the possibility of selling my 1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics ... which would absolutely throw me into a deep depression ... lol.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Isn't that the way they say it goes?" __ Jim Croce __ 'Operator'