Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

Today is Warren Buffet's birthday per financial website power reading.  It looks like 94.

He lives in the same house he has lived in for decades.  It cost something like $30,000.   What sort of car does that buy today?

He keeps cars for a long time.  They say that those who are comfortable in their wealth don't fuss over the flash and cash of newer and expensive cars. 

Well, I keep cars for a long time.  What the hell happened with me?!?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Enjoy the last official 3 day weekend of summer.  

20953-h.thumb.jpg.b13b5ff88d70e09aeb251f3672d672dc.jpg

Temperatures will start to cool and days will start to get shorter.

I'm not doing much of anything, if I can help it.  Happy Labor Day, folks!

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Taking it easy and resting this weekend after a heavy month at work.. just tired.   Got a concert tonight, but plan to rest most of the weekend, do a bit of grilling.  Short work week next week then my vacation starting a week from today..

• Agree 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

Went to a concert last night (more 80s nostalgia--British synth pop bands--Haircut One Hundred, ABC, and Howard Jones).   Took an Uber down--a black Kia EV6.  Lots of legroom in the back, neat styling..pretty quiet and smooth.  Chatted w/ the driver about charging adventures.   Uber on the way home was a white Honda Accord Hybrid.  Comfortable, reasonably spacious in the back.  Made a very strange sound when outside..like a humming rather than typical engine sounds. 

• Agree 2

On 8/31/2024 at 12:46 PM, trinacriabob said:

Enjoy the last official 3 day weekend of summer.  

20953-h.thumb.jpg.b13b5ff88d70e09aeb251f3672d672dc.jpg

Temperatures will start to cool and days will start to get shorter.

I'm not doing much of anything, if I can help it.  Happy Labor Day, folks!

Going on a long ass hike somewhere in Ohio with my wife, not sure where yet. Pulling overtime today, buying a ton of vinyl records and this pays the budget  back.

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Good morning ...

image.png.67d95976366adb2dc0b61f13500e96a9.png

Hey, he once owned a 58 Chevy (on the show 3 is company)

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Went to a concert last night (more 80s nostalgia--British synth pop bands--Haircut One Hundred, ABC, and Howard Jones).   Took an Uber down--a black Kia EV6.  Lots of legroom in the back, neat styling..pretty quiet and smooth.  Chatted w/ the driver about charging adventures.   Uber on the way home was a white Honda Accord Hybrid.  Comfortable, reasonably spacious in the back.  Made a very strange sound when outside..like a humming rather than typical engine sounds. 

I love kia's current EV set up. Listening to a ton of music myself...

13 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Random daydreaming ...

image.thumb.png.d9d2855ac3e2447300654abc1d08a397.png

Too bad we don't have a certain Canadian dude here to lust over that....

Thought for sure the big Lincoln was going to dominate the first round, I was wrong.

• Haha 1

I really like this singer. Bought a used vinyl record on a wim at a store, and fell in love with his music.

I am fascinated with this ship wreck, have been since I was a kid....

Good drag racing video....

• Like 1

First car of my parents that I remember, and I remember it fondly. Theirs was gold, this one is white. I love the design of the 67 Ford.

Speaking of Ford, the damn Crown Vics can take a beating...

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 5:22 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

Land yacht fever continues. 

Adam is hilarious ... an automotive walking encyclopedia with a voice for radio ...

I learned quite a bit here.

1:15 - I think the silhouette is sort of weird, with the squared-up greenhouse about the exact same proportions as the hood and trunk on either side of it ... this was the car to borrow from your parents to put your friends in the trunk and take them to the drive-in free of charge. 

These proportions are off.  I'm sure they could have done something a little better.

2:00 - Am I to read that, for the downsize in 1977, it was the 425 ci V8, and, then, for this year only, there was a NA 368 ci divisional V8 before Cadillac started to do some weird things for a couple of years?

3:00 - I had no clue that the cylinder deactivation modules could be removed and it would become a normal 368 ci V8.  However, if taking it through its smog or safety check, their seeing it deactivated would cause it to flunk, I believe.

10:00 - the amount of information in this strip gauge era was not enough.  The temp gauge was sorely needed.  Bull about how well engineered Caddy cooling systems were.  On an heirloom 350 V8 Cutlass Supreme, the fan clutch was iffy and the car could run hot.  We had that fixed.  Then, the upper radiator hose had a mind of its own, which has nothing to do with the cooling system's engineering, and it would periodically form a bulge in one of its elbows.  We had to carry a spare in the trunk.  I was driving it east to go to school over 2,000 miles away, and one burst in the desert near St. George, UT.  I had to wait for a long time for it to cool, put in the provisional one from the trunk, and then buy yet another one from a NAPA or sim. in St. George, UT.  Needing a temperature gauge goes beyond how well the car is engineered because other things could cause an overheating problem.  You just need the idiot light to turn on soon, so it steers you to keeping an eye on the temperature gauge.

11:45 - he feels the same way I do about these interiors.  They were phenomenal for a long road trip and a feast for the eyes.  Never say never; however, I don't think we'll experience some of the creature comforts from this chapter again.

So, yes, this car does feel like a brief return to the pre-1977 GM full-size downsizing in which most of the models got slab sided and lost a little bit of their personalities in the process.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/1/2024 at 8:26 AM, Robert Hall said:

What'd the EV6 driver say about his charging adventures?

As for the humming sound of the hybrid Honda, I believe they do that for safety reasons, that way it isn't creeping along at parking lot speeds literally silent. I think a few or most hybrids do this and I thought I read that it was so people can hear them at low speeds, where there's zero tire noise. I thought EVs were supposed to be doing this, as well, but I haven't noticed if they are or aren't. @Drew Dowdell could yo confirm this or tell me I'm wrong, hahaha? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

As for the humming sound of the hybrid Honda, I believe they do that for safety reasons, that way it isn't creeping along at parking lot speeds literally silent. I think a few or most hybrids do this and I thought I read that it was so people can hear them at low speeds, where there's zero tire noise. I thought EVs were supposed to be doing this, as well, but I haven't noticed if they are or aren't. @Drew Dowdell could yo confirm this or tell me I'm wrong, hahaha? 

Just that it's been very frustrating charging his car... he lives downtown in an apartment--driving for Uber and Lyft while going to grad school, so he has to rely on public charging stations and he finds them hogged by people trying to get 100% and they are often out of order. 

Could be about the Honda...got out at my house and instead of a normal engine idling sound, I heard this humming.  Just haven't been around Accord Hybrids before... or any hybrid for that matter--none in my reality context.  (GM 1.5 and 3.6, FCA 3.6, and classic  Ford Windsor 5.0 and 5.8 are what I have at home..) 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

It is eerie.....especially after being around ICE cars for almost 6 decades now. 

How are you doing, haven't seen you around as much?

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Just that it's been very frustrating charging his car... he lives downtown in an apartment--driving for Uber and Lyft while going to grad school, so he has to rely on public charging stations and he finds them hogged by people trying to get 100% and they are often out of order. 

Could be about the Honda...got out at my house and instead of a normal engine idling sound, I heard this humming.  Just haven't been around Accord Hybrids before... 

We need more electric car infrastructure. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Could be about the Honda...got out at my house and instead of a normal engine idling sound, I heard this humming.  Just haven't been around Accord Hybrids before... 

Yeah, I don't know why anyone would even consider an EV if they were stuck 100% publicly charging. That seems like a horrible decision. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Ccap41 and @Robert Hall per the 2022, all Hybrids and EVs have to make a noise via Default setting by OEM or customer selectable sound, but must at 25mph and below create a noise that the disabled can hear.

Federal Register :: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah, I don't know why anyone would even consider an EV if they were stuck 100% publicly charging. That seems like a horrible decision. 

No idea, but a lot of Uber drivers seem to getting them, seems to be a trend. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, ccap41 said:

People are horribly, horribly stupid...I work for a university in facilities. Had a professor hire me to fix his kitchen lighting because it wouldn't come on very bright. Got there and found a dimmer turned down...easy money...this is from someone who has an earned PHD. Never under estimate human stupidity...

13 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I was thinking along the lines of Taco Tuesday even though I'm heading out shortly for Greek food stateside.

I had Greek food last night....it was epic and sublime...

14 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

No idea, but a lot of Uber drivers seem to getting them, seems to be a trend. 

If you can save on fuel, it is a game changer. I want one. 

15 hours ago, G. David Felt said:

Ccap41 and @Robert Hall per the 2022, all Hybrids and EVs have to make a noise via Default setting by OEM or customer selectable sound, but must at 25mph and below create a noise that the disabled can hear.

Federal Register :: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

Thank you....!

This car is sublime...

A bit of Balthazar is still here in the form of me...

Coltrane for Wednesday

Pure vintage gold...

• Like 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

This looks like way to much fun, the old autocrosser in me and the inner redneck in me approves...

1965 Galaxie 500, one of my favorite cars. Nice little ride along...last post for a bit. 

On 9/3/2024 at 12:34 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

It is eerie.....especially after being around ICE cars for almost 6 decades now. 

How are you doing, haven't seen you around as much?

Yup, it's weird how quiet a vehicle is at parking lot speeds when there's no engine up front. Complete silence. I actually had to explain this to a coworker who heard a hybrid Honda in the parking garage and he said it sounded like something was wrong with it. I explained the reasoning for the "whir-ing" sound, so he wouldn't get hit. 

I've been good, been busy with an 8-month-old, work, and doing stuff around the house. There's always a new project!  

• Agree 3

The interest rate scenario is changing.

You can see it in CD rates.  First, the rates have dropped.  Second, there's a more noticeable incremental drop in the rates if you take the holding period further out.  (There doesn't appear to be an inverted curve at this time.)  Finally, they've gone to more annual or semiannual interest payouts than to monthly or quarterly ones.

Oh well.

• Educational 2

17 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Yup, it's weird how quiet a vehicle is at parking lot speeds when there's no engine up front. Complete silence. I actually had to explain this to a coworker who heard a hybrid Honda in the parking garage and he said it sounded like something was wrong with it. I explained the reasoning for the "whir-ing" sound, so he wouldn't get hit. 

I've been good, been busy with an 8-month-old, work, and doing stuff around the house. There's always a new project!  

After living in my house for 23 years, yeah, always a project!

Original and unrestored...!

I definitely could use the "fat man wheel"

First modern mass produced V8

This really is a special car.

The readings from the manual are cool, original manual is with the car...

Leno talking about how to keep the wooden spokes tight is cool...

Maintenance every 125 miles on this car...

17 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

The interest rate scenario is changing.

You can see it in CD rates.  First, the rates have dropped.  Second, there's a more noticeable incremental drop in the rates if you take the holding period further out.  (There doesn't appear to be an inverted curve at this time.)  Finally, they've gone to more annual or semiannual interest payouts than to monthly or quarterly ones.

Oh well.

I've noticed that... I have several savings accounts and CDs and have seen the savings accounts dip below 5% interest rates. 

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I've noticed that... I have several savings accounts and CDs and have seen the savings accounts dip below 5% interest rates. 

I think the economy is slowing a bit, but not dramatically. 

Cadillac Thursday!

• Agree 1

On 8/30/2024 at 3:00 PM, trinacriabob said:

Today is Warren Buffet's birthday per financial website power reading.  It looks like 94.

He lives in the same house he has lived in for decades.  It cost something like $30,000.   What sort of car does that buy today?

He keeps cars for a long time.  They say that those who are comfortable in their wealth don't fuss over the flash and cash of newer and expensive cars. 

Well, I keep cars for a long time.  What the hell happened with me?!?

Not sure what he has now, but I recall he previously had a '90s Town Car and later an '00s DTS... the $30k house reminds me of my family farm, my Dad bought in 1968 for $40k (130 acres, 1859 house).  Even with the house in run-down condition (due to my deranged brother) it brought close to $800k at auction in 2022..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Not sure what he has now, but I recall he previously had a '90s Town Car and later an '00s DTS... the $30k house reminds me of my family farm, my Dad bought in 1968 for $40k (130 acres, 1859 house).  Even with the house in run-down condition (due to my deranged brother) it brought close to $800k at auction in 2022..

Qoq...quite the appreciation. 

GM 1962 lineup

May be an image of 2 people, car and road

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

May be an image of 2 people, car and road

Beautiful photo!  Not a particularly large lineup; I don't see a Corvette and the divisional arrangement is a little confusing, yet B-O-P convertibles are in the back. Maybe the "consolidation" helped them be profitable.

I'd be digging on a similar photo from '75 or '76, with Firebird/Camaro, my beloved colonnades, and some hefty full-sizes with quad rectangular lamps up front.

Everything today is, by comparison, somewhat boring:  cars, music, the gaming craze, too much political correctness, etc.  Need I go on?

@Robert Hall

I had meant to ask about this when it was mentioned a good while back.  I'm not really on Facebook anymore - too much politics and religion.

The post mentioned that the use of "white trash" lands someone in Facebook Jail.

I was wondering how that worked:

Door #1

"(insert name of person), you're such white trash."

Offensive

Door #2

"J.D. Vance talks about growing up white trash, so maybe that's why rurals can relate to him."

Mostly an opinion

Door # 3

"I found a casserole recipe on a site where the focus is on 'white trash cooking.'  Here's a photo of the casserole."

image.png.025dbfeab952e64bde287213934c9014.png

This is stating something "factual."

- - - - -

So, how does the FB censorship protocol work?  Someone has to flag it?

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, G. David Felt said:

WOW reminds me of today's SUV line up, so little differentiation. IMHO a very Blah lineup.

The corpse of Balthazar spits on your garden sir....

6 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

@Robert Hall

I had meant to ask about this when it was mentioned a good while back.  I'm not really on Facebook anymore - too much politics and religion.

The post mentioned that the use of "white trash" lands someone in Facebook Jail.

I was wondering how that worked:

Door #1

"(insert name of person), you're such white trash."

Offensive

Door #2

"J.D. Vance talks about growing up white trash, so maybe that's why rurals can relate to him."

Mostly an opinion

Door # 3

"I found a casserole recipe on a site where the focus is on 'white trash cooking.'  Here's a photo of the casserole."

image.png.025dbfeab952e64bde287213934c9014.png

This is stating something "factual."

- - - - -

Maybe not white trash, but a good and accurate story of how Ohio went from a bellwether sate to a red state. 

One of the best Lincolns ever....I liked these as a kid, and was kind of meh for awhile as an adult...am back in love..

6 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

@Robert Hall

- - - - -

I think it's mostly automated, their BS algorithms are doing keyword searches... people also can report things, I do all the time, don't know if they result in time outs.