Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

Resembles a Mopar Super Stock hood scoop circa '64-65...the shape of the hood seems close to a '64 Dodge Polara or '64 Belvedere/Fury but not exactly...not sure if they had such a sharp crease at the downturn. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

34 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I briefly looked at MoPars- that was my first thought, but it doesn't match up- scoop is both wider & longer than any I saw '63-65.

Could be an aftermarket scoop. Cannot think of what else it would be.

15 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Could be an aftermarket scoop. Cannot think of what else it would be.

That is certainly likely...is the hood narrower at the front and wider at the back? Hard to tell from the photos...the '63-65 Mopars were narrower at the front..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

Feeling lazy- someone ID this hood for me.
Looks factory in how it's faired in, but certainly could be custom. There's holes for 6 individual letters across the front.

fi107.jpg

Yup Mopar vibe from late 60's or early 70's maybe.  For some weird reason it also gives me a truck vib.

Finding some similarities in my search to the 1970's AMC AMX auto.

More I look, this is looking like an aftermarket performance hood for the 1980's AMC AMX or Eagle maybe.

OK, Gotta get focused on work, but I am back to Dodge, thinking mid 60's Polara as that seems to fit this hood design.

1964 Dodge Polara which would cover the front holes with Polara.

1964_Dodge_Polara.jpg

Would be awesome if Dodge brought back the Barracuda Name plate.

This would be awesome as a wicked fast EV! :metal: 

Found these concepts which are cool! :D

2016-Dodge-Barracuda-concept-06.jpg

2016-Dodge-Barracuda-New-Car-Concept.jpg

Both are listed as 2016 Barracuda SRT Concepts.

Nothing's showing up via my searches.
'Plymouth' is 8 letters, 'Dodge' is 5; I count 6 'letters' here.
Base hood is VERY flat & non-contoured- highly uncommon.

Dodge never wrote 'Polara' on the hood, plus the one above has a windsplit which the auction hood does not. I wonder if the whole thing is a fiberglas replacement that did away with some of the details like a windsplit.

Edited by balthazar

6 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Nothing's showing up via my searches.
'Plymouth' is 8 letters, 'Dodge' is 5; I count 6 'letters' here.
Base hood is VERY flat & non-contoured- highly uncommon.

Dodge never wrote 'Polara' on the hood, plus the one above has a windsplit which the auction hood does not. I wonder if the whole thing is a fiberglas replacement that did away with some of the details like a windsplit.

Did dodge ever have the logo at the end like I see today now with Dodge // or what ever you call those two lines?

Not in the '60s.

'62 is nice & flat but no angled 'break' toward the front.
'64 has a soft curve toward the front (not creased) & a prominent windsplit. Also note how much smaller the factory scoop is.

Like Cubie noted; the auction hood has considerable taper rear-to-front.

scottmcalister631.jpg

9287728120ca76dfb5fb0cde968e2146.jpg

Edited by balthazar

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Not in the '60s.

'64 has a soft curve toward the front (not creased) & a prominent windsplit. Also note how much smaller the factory scoop is.

I always liked the styling of the '64-65 Mopar B-body hardtops w/ that neat C-pillar shape...

607405_d45e95f6c5_low_res.JPG

6bd56280c8dc1dce4a56773619588029.jpg

a9f630e646cd1c91139c3dc323e17132.jpg

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Not in the '60s.

scottmcalister631.jpg

That second car is gorgeous!

• Agree 1

Cool Read on King of the North for off road pickups.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-trucks/king-in-the-north-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-vs-ford-f-150-raptor-vs-ram-2500-power-wagon/ar-AApB2q2?li=BBnb7Kz#image=AApB2pY|92

Interesting to see who comes in last and who is first. I wish the ZR2 had the diesel engine option over the V6. To me the V6 is the wrong engine for the ZR2.

47 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Cool Read on King of the North for off road pickups.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-trucks/king-in-the-north-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-vs-ford-f-150-raptor-vs-ram-2500-power-wagon/ar-AApB2q2?li=BBnb7Kz#image=AApB2pY|92

Interesting to see who comes in last and who is first. I wish the ZR2 had the diesel engine option over the V6. To me the V6 is the wrong engine for the ZR2.

Just read it on Motor Trend at lunch time, pretty cool read.

I really like Raptor but it is huge and I think out of the three I would personally go with the Colorado.  Seems the right size, and it has the hardware.  Probably diesel would be a better option indeed.

Motor Trend

Results are there:

3.Raptor

2.Colorado

1.Ram

Edited by ykX
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I wonder if Ford is thinking about doing a Raptor-like version of the Ranger....(Rangtor? SubRaptor?) 

Probably, but hopefully they will realize that off road there are more dirt than sand. I know the Baja was all the rage when the Raptor was thought up and born, but now so many more options and Ford needs to deal with that axle hop.

On 8/7/2017 at 2:49 PM, dfelt said:

Probably, but hopefully they will realize that off road there are more dirt than sand. I know the Baja was all the rage when the Raptor was thought up and born, but now so many more options and Ford needs to deal with that axle hop.

I read the article and I can understand their opinion about the Raptor if indeed that was their experience.  However, when it came time to pick a truck to race ahead of the group to try to get to their restaurant reservations (if memory serves), they seemed to have chosen the Raptor.  If it had been that tough to handle I would assume they would have picked one of the other trucks.

I don't know which of the three I would buy, given the opportunity.  My Ford bias says Raptor, but I will not dismiss the other two out of hand... they are fantastic trucks, apparently.

1 hour ago, lengnert said:

I read the article and I can understand their opinion about the Raptor if indeed that was their experience.  However, when it came time to pick a truck to race ahead of the group to try to get to their restaurant reservations (if memory serves), they seemed to have chosen the Raptor.  If it had been that tough to handle I would assume they would have picked one of the other trucks.

I don't know which of the three I would buy, given the opportunity.  My Ford bias says Raptor, but I will not dismiss the other two out of hand... they are fantastic trucks, apparently.

Totally agree, would not kick any of them out of my garage. Right now I really like the Ram Power Wagon. I am a full size person in trucks even thought I do like the ZR2 and wish GM, Ford and Ram had a true Mini Truck EV that would sell well in inner cities and to city governments I believe.

WHEW!!!

The Member's Ride's thread are back online! Now... due to Photobucket imploding [charging a fee to link photos], just have to re-link/upload images again. I'm going to screenshot my thread so I have a jpg backup.

Glad it worked out, DD!

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 2

Most Beautiful Cars List: Have to say about 25% I disagree with but the rest are right on!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/revealed-the-worlds-most-beautiful-cars/ss-AAppoCX?li=BBnb7Kz#image=1

^ Right from the get-go, one can see it's a Euro love fest list. There are some unmitigated stinkers here, that don't even make 'mediocre', nevermind 'most beautiful'. If one is going to seriously suggest some of these, one cannot overlook the design flaws & shortcomings in them; just because you really really love it, doesn't make it beautiful.

Then; the Gallardo / Aventador, the 2 '50s Bentleys, 3 modern Astons, ferrari 288/308 & the 2 Citroens are quite simply the same cars, named more than once! Fallacy; needs a LOT more diversity!

TTD (Two Thumbs Down) on this list.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ Right from the get-go, one can see it's a Euro love fest list. There are some unmitigated stinkers here, that don't even make 'mediocre', nevermind 'most beautiful'. If one is going to seriously suggest some of these, one cannot overlook the design flaws & shortcomings in them; just because you really really love it, doesn't make it beautiful.

Then; the Gallardo / Aventador, the 2 '50s Bentleys, 3 modern Astons, ferrari 288/308 & the 2 Citroens are quite simply the same cars, named more than once! Fallacy; needs a LOT more diversity!

TTD (Two Thumbs Down) on this list.

The Aston Martin Rapide shouldnt even be on that list. It is one of those unmitigated stinkers you are talking about.

The Audi A5...while a nice car, certainly shouldn't be part of an all time beautiful list...especially when I 1968-1972 GM A-Body muscle car coupes lust worthy...and none of those made the cut...The A5 IS nice....but its also BLAND!

The Maserati Ghibli aint a looker by my standards. I could see why it may make the list though so I aint gonna argue that but, I certainly think a 1963 and a 1969 Corvette both are nicer and sexier designs and NO Corvette is on that list either! 

So GM (and Chrysler to a degree) who is the inventor of the car as fashion marketing selling point and the creator of some of the most incredible show cars for over 100 years that some of those styling cues made it to production cars with such mythical designers such as Earl and Mitchel but only 1 or 2 GM cars and 1 or 2 Chryslers made the list...(European cars  dead sexy...but a 1968 Alpha Romeo 1750 GTV,  TVR 350, ANY SUV on that list...But really? SUVs?, Ford Capri...and others...are phoquing HOMELY...not beautiful!)  (Oh...and I like that Alpha Romeo 1750 GTV...I just dont think its downright beautiful...it has a certain charisma...however a 1967 Pontiac GTO though...is phoquing GORGEOUS!!!)

Talk about a click bait article if you ask me.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

One can only imagine! :scratchchin: :spit:

I was at a family gathering awhile back and there were a whole bunch of beer snobs in attendance...

Only the high falutin' imported beers like Stella Artois and the BOTTLED micro brewery stuff seemed be to worthy for these folk and yup...you guessed it...the favorite phrase of the day was "tastes like piss".

Actually..."warm piss" was the correct descriptive.

Your post of the Bud Light reference reminded me of that get together.

It was the young dudes that thought they were cool that were the most vocal.

Ill understand when seasoned veterans define beer as such as they have had the experience to know what is good and what is blah...

These young dudes were just...blowhards.

I was at that age too once upon a time ago...and you know what?

Like pizza and sex...at that age...even bad BEER IS DAMNED GOOD!

Its BEER!

At that young age....THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO WITH IT!!!

ANY BEER!!!

27370.jpg?1499390482

tumblr_nrspevfia71ur7mdeo1_400.gif

wild-beer-drinking-o.gif

I was laughing inside at them as to say that they thought they had something on me for HATING Stella Artois and LOVING Budweiser or Amstel or Lowenbrau but I know...they are missing something great if they have not had the fun that I had with beer if they were too snobby...and cheap to chug the expensive imported stuff...

fa6470a0dd61a505aa91d328007d0c90.gif

Zisr3xZ.gif

And yes....Ive had this type of fun with beer...and no...no drunkiness...just horniness enhanced with beer...Budweiser and Molson beer...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

What is going on with @ccap41??? Haven't seen him post in some time, and it said he couldn't receive msgs either. Strange.

He left a while ago because he couldn't handle being an adult in the political forum. 

On 8/18/2017 at 0:03 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

He left a while ago because he couldn't handle being an adult in the political forum. 

Wanna say he got into a heated battle on another forum too....

One of the reasons I avoid politics with all the crazy going on....people just get a bit crazy about stuff....

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Wanna say he got into a heated battle on another forum too....

One of the reasons I avoid politics with all the crazy going on....people just get a bit crazy about stuff....

Yes, there were some basics about engine output that he wasn't getting and got angry when it was explained to him.