Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

She is genuinely funny short clip from one of my favorite musicians.  

unsure of why that posted like 4 times....odd...

I remember having one of these as a Matchbox car. Saw one on the road a few years ago on Interstate 71 here in Columbus. Always liked these....other interesting cars in the background in the video. 

6 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Not good for the future of our planet...

If old Trumpy gets back into the White House with his Drill Baby Drill attitude, expect this warming to pick up more.

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

The world is a village. It doesn't matter where you go, you will always see people buying lottery cards, schedules, tickets, or scratchers.  Most of these people have no business buying them.

Said another way, most of these people wouldn't understand the most basic concepts of a statistics course if they bit them in the ass.

"Probability" is your friend.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

What people name their kids can be very interesting.

I was once checking into a hotel in a suburb of Toronto, and the name of the guy helping me was Supreme. I asked him if his parents were Oldsmobile fans ... nope, they were Motown fans.

The year before, I was going to the breakfast room at a hotel in Portugal and one of the employees running the breakfast service was a guy named Majeek.

Now, Supreme was laid back and likable, but Majeek was very cool.  I forgot where in the Portuguese diaspora his family came from ... possibly the Cape Verde Islands.

The more you travel, or just look around you and observe, the more trippy things you will see and unique people you will come across.

• Agree 2

On 10/16/2024 at 3:25 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

Not good for the future of our planet...

Deniers always continue to dispute issues even when they are presented with hard data by scientists, economists, statisticians, etc.  They're kind of dense and/or bring personal baggage into the equation.  It's almost sad that they get the same vote (instead of relative weighting ... what a concept) as some of the people with more critical thinking skills.  Then, it's definitely sad that our country's simpletons could determine policy and anything of import for those who live in large swaths with way more complex and enlightened areas.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Deniers always continue to dispute issues even when they are presented with hard data by scientists, economists, statisticians, etc.  They're kind of dense and/or bring personal baggage into the equation.  It's almost sad that they get the same vote (instead of relative weighting ... what a concept) as some of the people with more critical thinking skills.  Then, it's definitely sad that our country's simpletons could determine policy and anything of import for those who live in large swaths with way more complex and enlightened areas.

End result is we should be putting the best skilled person in each position rather than a party that promises and never really delivers. We have so lost the ability of representing the people with honesty and integrity. Society of the whole is far more important than the one. IMHO

• Agree 1

Socrates and Plato said something similar about democracy and voting and allowing uneducated and untrained people to decide what is for the good of the polisfor everybody. Also, one of the two mentioned how easy it is for corrupt politicians to fool and to manipulate the dumb populace on what the corrupt politicians would want to influence. Also both mentioned that  perverse democracy leads to tyranny. 

And to know what really is mind blowing is that what is happening in the US and Canada right now and for the past 40 years with its stupid populace voting and especially voting for blatant corrupt leaders that dont even hide their agendas is that this very thing happened in Athens 2500 years ago and Socrates not only called it but he witnessed it with his own death...   Plato preached the faults of democracy and despised idiots voting. 

Democracy is not a bad thing per se, its a very good thing.  But its severely flawed when the general populace is dumb as phoque and dont realize how they get played by the ruling class  they keep on voting in.  In North America is quite evident that EVERYBODY including us...yes us right here posting right now, are just stupid pawns.  At least in France, Greece, Spain, Italy and maybe a couple of other European countries, the populace riots when their governments get out of hand.   Us here in North America, we wait in line like a bunch of jack asses for thext iPhone, or we cause a ruckus when Taylor Swift tickets are too expensive for us to attend her concerts or we cant get FM  radio on our Teslas (yeah a while back there was a slight backlash) or when GM decides that they dont want to offer Apple car play in their cars etc...

We listen to Youtubers and podcasters that make money on the monetized internet for clicks but we crucify legit scientists.  We are blinded by and worship corrupt politicians but we question the legit ones.  We idolize monetized Joe Rogans and Alex Jones and basterds like that...  And for the last 40 phoquing years North America has been on the decline.  

• Agree 4

We allow snake oilsalesmen and dirty CEOs to become billionnaires and we are against helping our societies grow...  

We believe in these snake oilsalesmen's shytty dreams and we make them demigods. All tech related products like Apple products or Paypal or Amazon is great, but all these billionnaires OWN us. We worship them but we allow them to control us even further... 

Bezos, Musk, Steve Jobs and others...   All these folks are a detriment to our FREEDOMS alongside shytty politicians...   But this is what we ultimately wanted...  

We made our beds. We shall now sleep in them... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

At least you have the option of leaving the country....

Yeah, true.  But it was put into motion for different reasons and it was a bug that my foreign born doctor out West put in my ear about 10 years ago.  I filed it away.  It then involved contacting the consulate to get the citizenship recognized and then be issued that passport.  It's not bad if you're first-gen, but it's still a lot of work.

You have these third-gen on one side who have to have it, and they have to come through with a big paper trail.

Still, I never thought it would come to this.  The EU in general is also very concerned with the outcome.

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Yeah, true.  But it was put into motion for different reasons and it was a bug that my foreign born doctor out West put in my ear about 10 years ago.  I filed it away.  It then involved contacting the consulate to get the citizenship recognized and then be issued that passport.  It's not bad if you're first-gen, but it's still a lot of work.

You have these third-gen on one side who have to have it, and they have to come through with a big paper trail.

Still, I never thought it would come to this.  The EU in general is also very concerned with the outcome.

Those of us that pay attention to history know that a certain fascist in the 1930's used the same type of attack to get the disillusioned to put him in power and we ended up with WWII. Now we have another individual who beams with adulation over Russia, China and especially North Korea leaders and is wanting to be in the same position. Democracy has never been more in danger than now. Our freedoms are at stake and every person needs to get out and vote.

Those that can move to another place have options, those with families, kids, grandkids, have less options, but one would hope the sanity of the nation would choose the lesser of the evils and not be swayed by negativity.

This country was founded by multi-cultural people and not a single specific group. Our Multi-cultural heritage is what gives us such amazing delights in food, Music, product design in having options.

Hold the criminals accountable and let freedom flourish. 

I will leave it at that for this soap box.

• Thanks 1