Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

6 hours ago, ykX said:

In European hockey and Olympic hockey fighting is prohibited period.

Yet they still do it while fighting has gone down in the NHL (as ccap stated). BTW, fighting is technically against the rules in the NHL as well. In fact, fighting is against the rules in every sport EXCEPT where it actually involves fighting yet fights still happen in basketball, football, soccer, etc. Them lofty standards though lol.

In fact, here is over 2 hours of fights from European hockey from 2003-2019 yet it is against the rules (as you stated).

Edited by surreal1272
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/2/2021 at 3:57 PM, ccap41 said:

They have 1.14m subscribers, this is their own money. 

BS. 1.1 million subscribers do not cover a $1 million Mercedes. These are just a bunch of clueless spoiled kids. Their parents were already millionaires. That money was already there. 

BTW, they have far more than 1.14 million subscribers but that doesn't change my statement about them being spoiled rich kids.

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Sounds like there is an opportunity for a new sport--a hybrid of MMA and hockey where players get points for fight style, and the fighting is an integral part of the game...

Haven't you been reading? They already do. It's called the NHL lol.

23 hours ago, David said:

WOW, thanks for posting this, amazing that so many people watch these annoying guys. I had to skip through the video as it came across as a look at me I am peacocking and have a better life than you.

Agree, no need for me to watch any of the other videos.

Beyond annoying but to each their own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

BS. 1.1 million subscribers do not cover a $1 million Mercedes. These are just a bunch of clueless spoiled kids. Their parents were already millionaires. That money was already there. 

BTW, they have far more than 1.14 million subscribers but that doesn't change my statement about them being spoiled rich kids.

WUT? 

YouTube.JPG

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

WUT? 

YouTube.JPG

It’s not 1.14 million. The brothers themselves have over 10 million subscribers. Dobre Cars is not how they made most of that money, is the point here. 

And again, they are super annoying. How in the hell anyone wants to “subscribe” to them is beyond me. 

F10719FA-D5B2-4E9F-8265-9C8661FA1ADE.png

Edited by surreal1272

13 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

It’s not 1.14 million. The brothers themselves have over 10 million subscribers. Dobre Cars is not how they made most of that money, is the point here. 

And again, they are super annoying. How in the hell anyone wants to “subscribe” to them is beyond me. 

Ahhh yes, that was my point earlier to David, as just this channel alone may not be everything they do. Thanks for the information, I had a feeling they were doing other stuff.

Unfortunately, they're terribly annoying(the 10 seconds I watched). 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

And...oh yeah...there is fighting in European hockey...   Its in the nature of the game. 

In European leagues and tournaments regulated by the International Ice Hockey Federation, like the Olympics, fighting is punishable by ejection along with a five-minute major penalty, unlike in the NHL.  So while it does happen occasionally (and now way more than when I was growing up), it might cause a loss to the team which was found at fault.

The fact that fighting is going down in NHL, and hopefully will go to a minimum, just shows that it contributes nothing to the actual game.  Without it the game will be more flowing and skilled. 

14 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Some guys are really in touch with the wierd part of their inner teenage boy, this appeals to them. ]

Largest bat in the world, harmless, in Philippines. 

No photo description available.

Not the kind of music we usually listen to, but look at the Firebird at the one minute mark....Balthazar and Oldshurst...

Boeing can't catch a break...

• Thanks 1

Been listening to a bunch of different music, this is wild, not sure I like it, but well done. 

21 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I certainly don't think fighting contributes nothing to the game. It's guys protecting their stars who're being roughed up unnecessarily. 

I agree. Tempers will rise in a highly physical game. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, ykX said:

In European leagues and tournaments regulated by the International Ice Hockey Federation, like the Olympics, fighting is punishable by ejection along with a five-minute major penalty, unlike in the NHL. 

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=25010

A major penalty shall be imposed on any player who fights.

A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation shall be assessed an instigating minor pen-alty, a major for fighting and a ten minute misconduct.

(NEW for 2005-06) A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or at any time in overtime, shall be assessed an instigator minor penalty, a major for fighting, a ten minute misconduct and an automatic one-game suspension. The length of suspension will double for each subsequent offense. In addition, the player's coach shall be fined $10,000 -- a fine that will double for each subsequent incident.

45 minutes ago, ykX said:

So while it does happen occasionally (and now way more than when I was growing up), it might cause a loss to the team which was found at fault.

Happens all the time...in European hockey.  

Why?

European hockey players in their respective European leagues cheap shot a lot more than their NHL counterparts do.  Intimidation tactics.   Hockey, whether played in Europe or in North America, is played that way.

Why?

Bodychecking...

Its a physical game.  

Euro hockey emphasizes less on the bodychecking than in North America and THAT is where you have it wrong...

Its NOT the fighting that you think is the difference. Its the bodychecking.

Fighting exists on both the Euro side and North American side because one opponent tries to intimidate the other side. And fighting just cancels out the bullying.  

What you want to see more of is the fancy fast plays. Which is Euro hockey. But the cheap shots even in their game is very apparent. MORE so than in the NHL because well...the NHL, the players have many ways to curb the bullying...   Bodychecking is one way.  

Like I said before.

Chirping and after the whistle shenanigans exist.  MORE so than in Euro leagues than in the NHL.

NHL players line you up and bodycheck you hard when you chirp and cheap shot.

In Europe, the only way to counter that is:

1.  Fighting. Which they do. But frowned upon. Like in the NHL.  But the NHL, the league tolerates it. The FANS LOVE it!

2. Embellishment by the players to get the ref to call a penalty. 

In the NHL, we got:

1. Fighting. But in the NHL, fighting too, is frowned upon.

2. HARD BODYCHECKS.

Please do NOT confuse fighting with lack and less of bodychecks in the Euro leagues. 

The Euro leagues TOLERATE embellishment.  In the NHL, they dont...  In the NHL, bodychecks is a FUNDAMENTAL part of the game.  In the Euro leagues, they want to believe that they are better than that. 

In the NHL...we want CLEAN bodychecks. We want a nice hard check to separate the puck from the player. NOT to separate the guy's head from his body.

Ill repeat, its not the fighting that is the difference in European leagues versus the NHL.  Its the bodychecking. 

The bodychecking SLOWS down the game. THIS is what YOU dont want.  YOU dont want the bodychecks...because it slows the game down.   YOU mentioned this. YOU prefer the fancy plays. 

Its all good. But it aint the fighting that you dont care for. Its the bodychecking you dont care for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Please do NOT confuse fighting with lack and less of bodychecks in the Euro leagues. 

I know very well about bodychecking and I was just talking about actual fighting.  When I was a kid we used to play hockey in the yard in the winter and even we did it without any equipment besides sticks.

16 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

What you want to see more of is the fancy fast plays. Which is Euro hockey.

Exactly.

In any case, if you and ccap and other fans enjoy the fighting in hockey and NHL tolerates it, that's fine.  Personally, I don't.  To each its own.

• Thanks 1

@ykX

Ill post 3 videos on this year's NHL playoffs. Washington and Boston.  

These 3 videos epitomizes not only NHL hockey but hockey itself.  It all good of you dont like it.  But this is the product that the NHL wants to sell, but lets face it, this is also what hockey is all about. European hockey, which Canada introduced to them, or North American hockey...

Game 1.  Listen to the commentary...very telling.

Please note that Ovechkin is from the Russian leagues and so is Pastrnk.  Two Euro stylee league players that found themselves in the NHL

Same game a few minutes later.  Marchand gets revenge. But is hit by Pastrnk first.  

All clean hits. With the exemption of that first video. Ovi's hit was questionable. The crosschecks were also questionable.   But in the NHL, especially in the playoffs. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Like I said...INTIMIDATION is part of the game.  Always will be. In Europe or in North America.

You might not like the NHL style, its all good. But dont tell me Euro hockey is better with all the after the whistle shenanigans and the cheap shots and the embellishments and the lack of physical play to cut down on the bully tactics....

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, ykX said:

I know very well about bodychecking and I was just talking about actual fighting.  When I was a kid we used to play hockey in the yard in the winter and even we did it without any equipment besides sticks.

Exactly.

In any case, if you and ccap and other fans enjoy the fighting in hockey and NHL tolerates it, that's fine.  Personally, I don't.  To each its own.

But you have it WRONG about fighting...

In the NHL....fighting is ALSO NOT allowed. NEVER was allowed... 

I dont like fighting as much as YOU do...

The disconnect is, I UNDERSTAND the place fighting has in hockey...  You might not think it has a place. But it does and THAT is why it even happens, quite often, in the European leagues... 

What I want out of the game...well...read my signature...

I posted THAT as soon as the New York Rangers made that statement public...

Its the bodychecks you dont want.  But it is a physical game. EVEN in the Euro leagues. 

It looks like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

No skin off my back if you cease to watch ANY hockey...  But please do not tell me that Euro hockey is better.

Its slightly different.  But to me... Euro hockey is the same thing, only diff is, Euro hockey is hypocritical. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Kind of pimped, but damn, I love the lines on these. Also, I miss Ocnblu's automotive content. He liked these also and kind of turned me on to these. 

No photo description available.

@ocnblu is still around he was on here at 5:32pm on Sunday looking over things. Probably all the BEV stuff is making him a little upset in his tender tummy. :P 

• Haha 1

Has a Glitch in the Matrix been found?

Newsweek had this story on a reddit post, very interesting.

Glitch in the Matrix' Found After People Spot 'CGI Water' Coming Out of Faucet (newsweek.com)

The comments are amusing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FORD NEWS - Next Week is the reveal of the production Pickup Maverick! JUNE 8th 2021

Yes, it’s True. An All-New Compact Pickup is Coming to the Built Ford Tough Lineup: The All-New 2022 Ford Maverick | Ford Media Center

Yes if you do not recognize her, this is Gabrielle Union. Actress / Singer

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/4/2021 at 6:59 PM, David said:

Interesting speed video.

One of only three Benz autos ever made I would not kick out of my driveway (again, my wagon bias clearly showing here) and that is 205MPH, which is F'ing insane even for the Autobahn!

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2

On 6/4/2021 at 10:06 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

Boeing can't catch a break...

I had to respond.  I grew up with JAL ... sort of.  When I was a kid, I'd ride my bike with a friend to LAX and, at the time, JAL had a beautiful 747.  Didn't they all?  We'd go up to the theme building observation deck and got a 360 degree view of all the terminals and the runways.

Themelax1.jpg

JAL does use the Boeing 787 Dreamliner quite a bit and I've seen it land at LAX.  What a beautiful wing design.

I really thought JAL would be a Boeing 777-X customer.  I guess not.  I am not an expert on the B-777, having only flown on it just once.  United used the 2-5-2 seating on the one I flew on from DC to Denver and onward.  I didn't like that layout.

I am not a fan of Airbus because it's Airbus and not Boeing.  I think this new A-350, with its "masked" cockpit window, is sort of ugly.  But I can't argue with the seating layout of 2-4-2 on the A-330 and the A-340.  The A-340 is fading away and it's my favorite Airbus product, with its 4 smaller engines, but operators don't like how thirsty it is.  The A-330 is comfortable enough, except for one really long flight from Frankfurt to Calgary, with a connection back home to the Pac NW, that was too long and was pushing against strong headwinds.

Boeing's "Dreamliner" is just that:

799546.jpg

• Agree 3

On 6/5/2021 at 11:10 PM, trinacriabob said:

I had to respond.  I grew up with JAL ... sort of.  When I was a kid, I'd ride my bike with a friend to LAX and, at the time, JAL had a beautiful 747.  Didn't they all?  We'd go up to the theme building observation deck and got a 360 degree view of all the terminals and the runways.

Themelax1.jpg

JAL does use the Boeing 787 Dreamliner quite a bit and I've seen it land at LAX.  What a beautiful wing design.

I really thought JAL would be a Boeing 777-X customer.  I guess not.  I am not an expert on the B-777, having only flown on it just once.  United used the 2-5-2 seating on the one I flew on from DC to Denver and onward.  I didn't like that layout.

I am not a fan of Airbus because it's Airbus and not Boeing.  I think this new A-350, with its "masked" cockpit window, is sort of ugly.  But I can't argue with the seating layout of 2-4-2 on the A-330 and the A-340.  The A-340 is fading away and it's my favorite Airbus product, with its 4 smaller engines, but operators don't like how thirsty it is.  The A-330 is comfortable enough, except for one really long flight from Frankfurt to Calgary, with a connection back home to the Pac NW, that was too long and was pushing against strong headwinds.

Boeing's "Dreamliner" is just that:

799546.jpg

I love the A340, but its time has come and gone. Kind of digging the sleek look of two engine planes lately. I love the vibe of the A350 and B 787 both. Be interesting to see what happens with the XLR version of the A321. 

This video has a lot of clear thinking in it RE the 757 and 321 XLR

mqdefault_6s.webp?du=3000&sqp=CIyc-IUG&r

It would be interesting to see how many cycles the 757's have flown. They won't be cash cows forever, and the A321 is much more efficient. 

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

On FB Marketplace for $2750 :

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 6.35.21 PM.png

$250 at my local scrap metal yard, ACE Iron and scrap. love those guys, they pay cash...

This is an interesting video in terms of how differently we do things vs thbe 1960's...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I could really see this in the driveway next to the Ranger. Getting close to 27 MPG out of it, which is insane for a pickup truck. Plenty of Power, enjoying it. 

You're averaging close to 27mpg with your 2.3T, 2WD Ranger in combined driving? What kind of mix do you think you do, percent city/highway? 

I'm averaging 22.8mpg over the entire life(of my ownership) in my 2.3T AWD MKC. I know I'm losing some mpg in AWD vs 2WD, but I'd bet there's a decent gain with your 10spd auto vs my older 6spd auto. I'd say my overall combined mix is 60/40, 55/45 highway/city. I do a lot of short trips but miles are accumulated with the longer drives(obviously). 

• Agree 1

Boeing looked to compete with the Concord jet and had developed mock ups of the Boing 2707 supersonic jet with the mock ups built in Everett Washington.

Why Did Boeing Never Produce Its Supersonic 2707? - Simple Flying

image.png

Boeing launch customer for the 2707 was PanAm and they had this conceptual art that Boeing did:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

United Airlines was the second launch customer.

image.png

image.png

If you ever get a chance to visit Seattle, you can actually check out the Mock Model in the Airplane Museum Boeing has.

image.png

image.png

image.png

If you really want to see lots of cool stuff on planes and Auto's, this guys Flickr account is amazing. Clearly he has a deep passion about Planes and Auto's. Reminds me of @balthazar passion for old auto's. :metal:

ausdew’s albums | Flickr

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

You're averaging close to 27mpg with your 2.3T, 2WD Ranger in combined driving? What kind of mix do you think you do, percent city/highway? 

I'm averaging 22.8mpg over the entire life(of my ownership) in my 2.3T AWD MKC. I know I'm losing some mpg in AWD vs 2WD, but I'd bet there's a decent gain with your 10spd auto vs my older 6spd auto. I'd say my overall combined mix is 60/40, 55/45 highway/city. I do a lot of short trips but miles are accumulated with the longer drives(obviously). 

The last 2000 miles I have montored it very closely. Almost right at 27 mpg. Everything from having the rear diff locked on logging/unpaved roads in rural PA and Ohio to curising at 80, getting caught in traffic jams, hauling heavy loads of lumber and landscaping materials, etc. 

I am probably mostly commuting to work which is lightly travelled two and 4 lane highway where I am running 45-55. But I use the truck for everything. 

FWIW the Finance guy who did my paperwork had a 4wd Ranger, and he averaged about 24-24.5, so the 10 speed probably does have something to do with it. Motor is never strained. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Boeing looked to compete with the Concord jet and had developed mock ups of the Boing 2707 supersonic jet with the mock ups built in Everett Washington.

Why Did Boeing Never Produce Its Supersonic 2707? - Simple Flying

image.png

Boeing launch customer for the 2707 was PanAm and they had this conceptual art that Boeing did:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

United Airlines was the second launch customer.

image.png

image.png

If you ever get a chance to visit Seattle, you can actually check out the Mock Model in the Airplane Museum Boeing has.

image.png

image.png

image.png

If you really want to see lots of cool stuff on planes and Auto's, this guys Flickr account is amazing. Clearly he has a deep passion about Planes and Auto's. Reminds me of @balthazar passion for old auto's. :metal:

ausdew’s albums | Flickr

image.png

I like both Boeing and Airbus, but yeah. a lot of Boeings pains are self inflicted. Sadly. 

On 6/6/2021 at 12:11 AM, regfootball said:

Anyone else see this yet?

FIRST EVER!!!!!

COROLLA CROSS!!!!

06A52DA8-FCDA-424A-BCFF-58A595EAE88D.png

What did they cross it with, a Duck billed platypus?

Amazon.com: MOJO Duck Billed Platypus Toy Figure: Toys & Games

1 hour ago, David said:

This quirky plane helps build a lovely one.

image.png

Dreamliner Beauty

image.png

image.png

image.png

I love the Super Guppy and the Guppies, built from B377's and their military counterpart. Modern version of that...

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Cool History, Ford Motor Company is involved in an extensive restoration of the Michigan Central Station which will also become their BEV Building for future products. In the wall a couple workers wrote a note to the future and put it in a prohibition bottle of Stroh's beer. Bottle is stamped 7-19-13 as in 1913 the year the station was built. Lucky the two men working on the plaster in that section saved the bottle rather than just nocking it down with other trash and useless bits and gave it to Ford where their Archivist have been saving from any further decay the history of the station. Seems unknown rooms and other artifacts have been found from cloths to adding machine, tickets, etc.

Read the story here: Message Mystery at Michigan Central Station: Ford’s Latest Reveal is Pre-Prohibition-Era Beer Bottle Found During Restoration | Ford Media Center

image.png

Ford 

Ford Sales for the month of May 2021 shows a 184% increase in BEV sales. Seems since the frosty winter storm that took down Texas, the Ford F-150 Hybrid is now in high demand by people wanting the ability to have the generator and back up battery of the truck available.

Snag_1505da65.png

Snag_1505c93e.png

Ford May Sales

• Agree 1