Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Hmmm, GN was all Buick, but ASC/McLaren Performance were involved with upgrading the GN into the GNX.
That's how they were all dyno'd; that didn't happen at Flint Assembly.

Still sold directly by Buick and it handled through them from beginning to end (in some fashion or another) whereas the Hammer was basically an aftermarket tuner job by AMG. Not quite the same thing.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23739443/buick-regal-grand-national-gnx-history/

Edited by surreal1272
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

As long as you show up with something like that, we (I) accept.  

I will expect a free meal if I let you drive it though....otherwise I will happily pay. 

Much friendship from the south,

Chris/Stang/Horse/Hachetman/Crazy woodworker...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, ykX said:

@A Horse With No Name  @David

What happened to no politics rule?

<removed politics> - Drew

On a Positive note about the area, we have a talented beautiful actress playing an awesome roll as Wonder Woman.

Gal Gadot

image.png

Edited by Drew Dowdell
Removed politics
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I’ll be cleaning up this thread and handing out the warnings in a few.

I self edited as I was in the wrong. If I deserve penalty points bring them on.

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Sorry Drew, end of line.

Back to the Cool Ford F-150 Lighting. Starting at under $40K, about time for a decent EV!

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, David said:

Sorry Drew, end of line.

Back to the Cool Ford F-150 Lighting. Starting at under $40K, about time for a decent EV!

I can see that in my driveway.

• Agree 1

May be a cartoon of cat and text

Building a Vidar....Schiit Audio....sadly named that way, but great products. Thinking of upgrading from my Vintage carver Amp in my home stereo Rack. interesting build. 

I still want to do the Trans America Trail. 

An interesting idea. In theory. 

Interesting plane, sadly none of these have survived. 

Laid back music for Today

I could use some good BBQ...

What is on your mind this morning?

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-york/barnstormer-barbeque-ny/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=new-york&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_content=nlbuttonB5

19 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Don't know if I had one coming my way or not but either way, I apologize for any negative contribution to that exchange.

23 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Storm chaser Laura Rowe got this awesome shot in Texas...

J3Hbdw4.jpg

I would love to be able to catch a shot like that with my DSLR! Nature is chaos and beauty at the same time.

• Agree 3

29 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Don't know if I had one coming my way or not but either way, I apologize for any negative contribution to that exchange.

I would love to be able to catch a shot like that with my DSLR! Nature is chaos and beauty at the same time.

Thanks. No excuses for my actions as I take 100 percent personal responsibility for them. However, i really have been super seriously struggling with depression last couple of days. Last couple of weeks actually. Hiking a bunch and spending lots of time just listening to music have helped me a bunch.

Brought home a new subwoofer. Thought it was going to be small, didn't check on size, told my wife I was buying a small subwoofer. Got to the sellers house (FB marketplace) and it sounded great but it was the size of a small Buick. 

Did I mention  I have a loving and tolerant wife?

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Pollen seems to have been worse this Spring than in recent years...oak tree pollen all over everything....beautiful, unusually warm sunny weather.  But the pollen is killing me.   

Cottonwood is going nto be all over every air conditioning condenser on campus. 

Neat looking audio room. 

fdcbaec4175fd6eb4d56377a98934e7e.jpg

• Agree 3

15 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Brought home a new subwoofer. Thought it was going to be small, didn't check on size, told my wife I was buying a small subwoofer. Got to the sellers house (FB marketplace) and it sounded great but it was the size of a small Buick. 

Did I mention  I have a loving and tolerant wife?

Home or car subwoofer? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Home. 

HSU VTF-3 mk4

I am having fun with upgrading my audio stuff a bit. 

Love this picture. 

20296afe4ed72e0488f4614871016cfc.jpg

Nice! 

My current home theater sub is a Polk PSW505.  It definitely gets the job done and will rattle things but I'd like to upgrade eventually. I also bought it off of Facebook Marketplace. 

• Agree 1

Just now, ccap41 said:

Nice! 

My current home theater sub is a Polk PSW505.  It definitely gets the job done and will rattle things but I'd like to upgrade eventually. I also bought it off of Facebook Marketplace. 

Subs open up even classical and Jazz so much. I have wanted one for the longest time, got a bonus at work and splurged. 

Polk makes some fantastic sounding stuff. I almost went with a set of Polk floor standing speakers, but went with a set of Pradigms instead. 

Stirling Moss's Dog....

May be a black-and-white image

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there is absolutely no point.'

Most of the people you argue with, but, at the same time, don't want dialogue, tend to be those who don't know how much they don't know.  So, yes, there is no point when you look at it in hindsight.

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Looks like McIntosh. Another bucket list buy.

My friend has McIntosh, it sounds amazing. I want to spend my money on trvel and hiking. I came super close to buying a motorcycle. Also looked at some other things I really wanted to do. But hiking and travel are huge for me. 

So it would take a large cash infusion for me to do Mcintosh. 

38 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Most of the people you argue with, but, at the same time, don't want dialogue, tend to be those who don't know how much they don't know.  So, yes, there is no point when you look at it in hindsight.

The sunk costs fallacy digs deep here, because once you argue with someone for so long, you feel like you need to get something out of the time invested. 

• Agree 4

19 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The sunk costs fallacy digs deep here, because once you argue with someone for so long, you feel like you need to get something out of the time invested. 

True.  I can see that.  So it's probably better to cut your losses.

This happened in 2020 ... and it happened in 2016 via social media.  You cut ties with people.  I'm even seeing that I probably have to cut ties with some anti-vaccination folks I know.  It's a predictable kit of parts.

- - - - -

On the brighter side, the EU is poised to reopen to North Americans who have been vaccinated.  I have watched airfares take a big jump.  Nonetheless, it will be reopening and I'm very happy about that.

• Agree 2

46 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

True.  I can see that.  So it's probably better to cut your losses.

This happened in 2020 ... and it happened in 2016 via social media.  You cut ties with people.  I'm even seeing that I probably have to cut ties with some anti-vaccination folks I know.  It's a predictable kit of parts.

- - - - -

On the brighter side, the EU is poised to reopen to North Americans who have been vaccinated.  I have watched airfares take a big jump.  Nonetheless, it will be reopening and I'm very happy about that.

Cheap flights are often available if youa re flexible. Looking at south America myself. 

I am destined to die broke. 

My wife asked me to look at buying used woodworking tools....with cash and a little negotiation, the world is your oyster. 

My younger son Daniel turned me on to cheap flights, likewise. 

My good friend David turned me on to cheap audio equipment....likewise. 

My Oldest son and middle daughter turned me on to air bnb, likewise....

My good Friend Erik has turned me on to a bunch of good mid priced restaurants in Columbus. 

My wife likes going different places to hike...

I still love cars, motorcycles, trains, planes and the like. 

Die broke but happy. 

May be an image of text that says 'YOU CAN NOT MAKE EVERYBODY HAPPY, YOU ARE NOT AN ICE COLD BEER. FlanetBeer.n'

Odd but real company truck...or good photoshop...but funny. 

May be an image of text that says 'Best company truck I've seen in weeks... BEN DOVER PLUMBING DEALING WITH YOUR SHIT 24.7 Your Broon is our Green Call EAT-7448 800 安 ROLT'

Balthazar should appreciate this one....as do I...

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'THE TWISTED TREE LIVES OUT ITS LIFE. THE STRAIGHT TREE ENDS UP AS A BOARD. Chinese Proverb Well we'll see about that Lowes'

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

@ccap41 @surreal1272 @A Horse With No Name Home Theater is where I am at, love my setup. I have a matched set of Velodyne subwoofers, will have to check the model number, but they rock. Have not look at the company in years since I bought them. Should be surprised, but not that they were bought out when the founder retired. Still in business now as Home - Velodyne Acoustics

Some great deals on Vintage high end stuff here: Vintage Audio Exchange

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 5/17/2021 at 9:23 PM, balthazar said:

From an era where so much greatness was created!

1 of the 547 built '87 Buick GNX's just sold for $205,000.  Kicker is, that's actually the second-highest price paid for one.

In 1987, only the Porsche 911 Turbo could barely squeeze past a GNX in a 0-60 run, by 1/10th of a second.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/rare-1987-buick-gnx-muscle-car-sold-for-205000 

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.21.33 PM.png

Still want one...

• Agree 1

Sometimes you just come across something on Craigslist that is exactly how it is described by every stereotype. It's also a little scary that I kind of like it but that's probably because I spent the first 13 years of my life practically being raised in a '71 Chevy Sport 10 van. Yes, I have a slight thing for vans as well as wagons lol.

2079135887_ScreenShot2021-05-21at11_24_05AM.thumb.png.4ea53870244c8561c1269392a37c9667.png

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/d/greensboro-1991-chevrolet-g20-custom-van/7324811987.html

• Agree 3

18 hours ago, David said:

@ccap41 @surreal1272 @A Horse With No Name Home Theater is where I am at, love my setup. I have a matched set of Velodyne subwoofers, will have to check the model number, but they rock. Have not look at the company in years since I bought them. Should be surprised, but not that they were bought out when the founder retired. Still in business now as Home - Velodyne Acoustics

I will check out vintage audio exchange. Mostly just good old fashioned two channel audio for me. I want to upgrade my vintage carver Amp, thinking Schiit Vidar or similar. But open to a lot of things. 

30 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Sometimes you just come across something on Craigslist that is exactly how it is described by every stereotype. It's also a little scary that I kind of like it but that's probably because I spent the first 13 years of my life practically being raised in a '71 Chevy Sport 10 van. Yes, I have a slight thing for vans as well as wagons lol.

2079135887_ScreenShot2021-05-21at11_24_05AM.thumb.png.4ea53870244c8561c1269392a37c9667.png

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/d/greensboro-1991-chevrolet-g20-custom-van/7324811987.html

I had a good running version of the exact same van that I was going to restore, but sold it to a guy who needed the good 350/TH350 set up. the carcass of that van is still sitting in the salvage yarde I promised Balthazar I would visit back in January. 

13 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Still want one...

We should start a car collection together, we want a lot of the same rides.  We can only drive one car at once, right? Dealership I bought the MINI Cooper S from a decade ago had a brand new never titled GNX that was pristine. 

XB-70.

May be an image of airplane

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, David said:

So while my virtual setup was saving with the latest updates, went upstairs to take some pictures and get the actual model number of my subwoofers.

Matched Pair of Velodyne VA907. Which is an active 8" firing into the room with a passive 10" firing into the floor @100W. Any and all movies have clean clear bass and you feel it in your butt where one should feel it. Great experience for movies.

Need to dust and clean them, but I usually do not have the lights all the way on, so did not realize how dusty it was till now. One subwoofer on each side of the TV / Audio stand.

20210521_085725.jpg

20210521_085548.jpg20210521_085559.jpg20210521_085623.jpg20210521_085701.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, David said:

So while my virtual setup was saving with the latest updates, went upstairs to take some pictures and get the actual model number of my subwoofers.

Matched Pair of Velodyne VA907. Which is an active 8" firing into the room with a passive 10" firing into the floor @100W. Any and all movies have clean clear bass and you feel it in your butt where one should feel it. Great experience for movies.

Need to dust and clean them, but I usually do not have the lights all the way on, so did not realize how dusty it was till now. One subwoofer on each side of the TV / Audio stand.

20210521_085725.jpg

20210521_085548.jpg20210521_085559.jpg20210521_085623.jpg20210521_085701.jpg

They really add a lot. I think I might add a second Sub at some point, but what I have works well right now. 

No photo description available.

You all could use a be happy moment, it's Friday. 

May be a cartoon of text that says 'Stay closeto people who feel like sunshine'

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

They really add a lot. I think I might add a second Sub at some point, but what I have works well right now. 

No photo description available.

Agree a second sub is worth the coin for both the music and theater experience.

Confusion on your post is for this Pigmy Snake?

Your Friday tool moment, I love old Delta tools. 

May be an image of text that says 'Delta U S 5 PAT OF TRADE MARK HEG TRIPLE-DUTY BALL-BEARING GRINDER UNITED THE MADE OF AMERICA 6 STATES STATES 62 W2626 FRAME /165 1725R.P.M. 110VOLTS 500AMP 60CYC PHASE TEMP. RISE 50°℃. DELTA ANUFACTURING COMPANY WISCONSIN'

2 minutes ago, David said:

Agree a second sub is worth the coin for both the music and theater experience.

Confusion on your post is for this Pigmy Snake?

I just loved the picture...

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Your Friday tool moment, I love old Delta tools. 

May be an image of text that says 'Delta U S 5 PAT OF TRADE MARK HEG TRIPLE-DUTY BALL-BEARING GRINDER UNITED THE MADE OF AMERICA 6 STATES STATES 62 W2626 FRAME /165 1725R.P.M. 110VOLTS 500AMP 60CYC PHASE TEMP. RISE 50°℃. DELTA ANUFACTURING COMPANY WISCONSIN'

I just loved the picture...

Tools always have use and are cool. Was looking at some of my old Craftsman tools I have from the 60's that my dad gave me.

Agree the picture is very cool, Snake looks like it is part of the boa family, but pigmy in how fat but short it is. Crazy colors too.

• Agree 1