Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

7 hours ago, ocnblu said:

borward-3.jpg

Chinese knock off of the Mercedes version?

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 10.45.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 10.45.39 PM.png

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BIG TIME! ?

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Chinese knock off of the Mercedes version?

Nah that's a Borgward Isabella.  Borgward was a German company.  They went out of business in 1961.  It's a pretty neat little car.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Can you spot the anomaly or oddity in this photo of the interior of an early '80s Buick Regal Limited coupe?

1981_buick_regal_limited_coupe-pic-42807

? The tan seatbelts with the faded maroon seats, buckling plastic dash and fake plastic wood with the Maroon when new, now brown carpet and the falling apart drivers door panel along with all the pine sented trees that would tell me it has a water leak mildew problem.

Plus who the hell would put a blue dash with blue plastic piller pieces with a maroon seat and carpet. ? Plus is that an oldsmobile steering wheel I see?

• Haha 1

I think the steering wheel is a Buick steering wheel.  The emblem is round, while Olds in that day would be rectangular and "portrait" shaped.  True, the colors of the pieces have been cobbled.

It's the seats.  This is a Buick Regal with the Limited trim.  Those seats are from an Olds Cutlass Supreme with the Brougham trim.  In a Buick, the pillowed seat cushions would go all the way up.  In the Olds, the pillowed seat cushions would go up most of the way and then have that horizontal bump out near the shoulders ... just like what you see here.

1986_oldsmobile_cutlass_supreme-pic-5331

Edited by trinacriabob

I related this once before. I know this occurred before '92, which is when my buddy moved out of state.

Parked on the side of the road for sale was a maroon Buick Skylark (X-Body). So it was an '80-85 car; not all that old. There was absolutely nothing special about it, it had no signs of any work done to it. I swear it had 2 doors on the driver's side and 1 on the pass side. It was NOT the case that the rear door was welded up- it had the coupe's longer door on that side.

At the time, I thought 'how could the factory have mated a coupe and a sedan body stamping together THEN actually let it get out the door?' No pics of course, and the gelled memory is growing fuzzy. But we both circled the car and were like 'WTF??'

There must've been something else interesting parked next to it, otherwise we'd never have even glanced at it. Then again, my buddy owned/drove a Citation 4-dr liftback for a while.... maybe it was his fault.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Yup, Oldsmobile seat.  This is the Buick Regal Limited seat design, with the "pillow" at the top of the seatback.  I also think this Regal may have been optioned with the dark brown/sandstone two-tone 45/45 seat option, per the brochure, and we are looking at a dark brown and tan, not red interior.  The fading, coupled with color variations in the photo, are easily misinterpreted.

n_1982 Buick Full Line Prestige-26-27.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

n_1982 Buick Full Line Prestige-26-27.jpg

Yep, that is nice.  I had a hand-me down '84 Supreme Brougham coupe and my dad had an early '80s Regal Limited sedan with seats were just like these (upper LH).  I've driven both of them on long trips.  The Buick may have had slightly more comfortable seats because of where your shoulders landed.  That central IP pad had either 3 square pods (if with idiot lights) and 5 square pods (if it had the gauge package).  Ours had the 5 square pods.  Come to think of it, that dash may have been nicer than that of the Olds, except that you felt this void immediately to your right.  However, the Olds mid-size looked way better from the outside.

Yep, that 40-40 seat (bottom RH) would be great if the car is a coupe except that it looks like it could only be had in leather.  The cloth seating was super comfortable. 

I'm starting to miss '80s cars.

You can see in the blue Oldsmobile, the velour had a pattern in the pillow portion of the seatback/tufted cushion section of the seat, with plain velour around the edges.  The Buick used plain velour throughout.  Interesting that the highest trim package Buick came with leather seats, but velour door and quarter trim, per the brochure.

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Real nice colour on this one

94198002_2905125592909856_1637113848152457216_o.jpg

Wow ... beautiful!  (Even nicer with that house in the background.)  This doesn't look like a factory color ... or is it?  Can't tell these apart that easily -' 67, '68, or '69?

16 hours ago, balthazar said:

abandoned Iowa ice plant, 1940 :

DubuqueIA40 3 iceplant.png

I wonder if this could be repurposed as a plant to make N95 masks or hand sanitizer ...

• Haha 1

Looks like # 60517 - "Autumn Bronze Poly".

1968_Pontiac_Paint_chart.jpg

10 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Wow ... beautiful!  (Even nicer with that house in the background.)  This doesn't look like a factory color ... or is it?  Can't tell these apart that easily -' 67, '68, or '69?

This one is a '68 Firebird 400.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Looks like # 60517 - "Autumn Bronze Poly".

1968_Pontiac_Paint_chart.jpg

Of the ones I see shown, that one (Autumn Bronze) and the Aleutian Blue are the nicest ones for a Firebird.

Is there a one-stop place to dig up these sorts of brochure displays for the cars of yesteryear ... without getting old brochures on EBay?

4 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Is there a one-stop place to dig up these sorts of brochure displays for the cars of yesteryear

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/

This is my go-to site for old car brochures.

The 1968 color chart is actually something that a bodyshop would have used.

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/

This is my go-to site for old car brochures.

The 1968 color chart is actually something that a bodyshop would have used.

Which reminds me I need to find the code for my Cobalt.

I regret not filing a poilce report..as her insurance will not touch my car- they “suggested” that she sue now, since they figure I will....

I might have to settle for a “prematched” colored  bumper for the Balt...which will still cost them close to 500 bucks anyways. (The estimates were over a grand easy). I am not sure how I feel about that.... But, the Cobalt is already over 14 years old with over 100k (109k) with rust coming from the rockers. It’s pretty much a winter beater to protect the other cars in the family..

My OCD will get in if it is slightly different colored...but it is much better than a big hole or a primed bumper instead...

Always call the cops if you're in an accident.  Although it is easier for police to assign blame when the accident occurs on a public road (where they would have jurisdiction) than it is in a parking lot.  At least that's how it is in PA.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Always call the cops if you're in an accident.  Although it is easier for police to assign blame when the accident occurs on a public road (where they would have jurisdiction) than it is in a parking lot.  At least that's how it is in PA.

Sadly, when it happens in a parking lot or in front of your home (where mine happened) they rarely come out at all....

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Sadly, when it happens in a parking lot or in front of your home (where mine happened) they rarely come out at all....

If you call and summon them (the police) to present themselves at the scene of an accident, they wont come?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Which reminds me I need to find the code for my Cobalt.

I regret not filing a poilce report..as her insurance will not touch my car- they “suggested” that she sue now, since they figure I will....

I might have to settle for a “prematched” colored  bumper for the Balt...which will still cost them close to 500 bucks anyways. (The estimates were over a grand easy). I am not sure how I feel about that.... But, the Cobalt is already over 14 years old with over 100k (109k) with rust coming from the rockers. It’s pretty much a winter beater to protect the other cars in the family..

My OCD will get in if it is slightly different colored...but it is much better than a big hole or a primed bumper instead...

Due to this happening on one of my past auto's, I no longer try and be nice about exchanging insurance info and then go from there. I now always call the police and get a report so proof of who is at fault is there to protect my rights.

40 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Due to this happening on one of my past auto's, I no longer try and be nice about exchanging insurance info and then go from there. I now always call the police and get a report so proof of who is at fault is there to protect my rights.

Yes, sadly it will be a lesson learned. The good thing is that it should get a bumper- and it won’t be broken. From here on out there will be insurance. The worse part is that is said she was talking to her insurance company. ? 

Sinec the Cobalt is in beater status (mind you, and well cared for beater) it only has basic insurance on it now anyways. Not to mention even with such simple damage most companies would total it at that age. Hopefully the. Balt will at least get a new bumper. Sadly, this is not the first time it has been hit while parked. I watched it get hit in a parking lot, and they drove away. No tags on the car either! Still has that dent too....poor Balt! ? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

For something like a parking lot or in front of a home-usually no. Now if there is injury or property damage, then they will....

I understand the principle behind it because the police have other things to take care of...such as crime.  (But what your neighbor is doing now IS crime in itself...its downright fraud) and the reason why I understand this is because the Montreal police ALSO have a similar policy. Well...they strongly suggest you refrain from calling the cops when a mutual police report is filed and the no-fault insurance policy takes over...     When an accident has occurred, we file an accident report and both parties involved have to sign the document.  If one party is did not sign, it could mean a hit and run. A criminal act.   If one party  does not agree to the accident report, then he files his own.  BUT...there is a report or two, being filed.  Information being exchanged. Name. addresses and phone numbers. Proof of insurance and valid drivers license. Little diagram of how the accident happened....

The police intervening in a normal accident, well, they just keep the peace and possibly control the traffic. But the accident report is filed in the same manner.  The police do not take sides.  If asked, they will just report on what they saw upon arrival. Unless of course they witnessed the accident happening...

The police is REQUIRE to be called when personal injury is made or property is damaged BUT if one party calls the police to the scene of an accident, no matter where the accident happens to occur, they WILL come. 

Can you file a hit and run report? 

Is it too late?

Because in Montreal, you still have time to report your accident as a hit and run BECAUSE proper information was NOT given to YOU BY the person hitting YOUR car...

In Quebec, the person actually hitting another car or property HAS the responsibility of reporting it to either the owner of the vehicle he hit, to the cops or to his insurance.  

But, BECAUSE in Quebec there is "no fault insurance", that only means the owners of the respective vehicle's insurance is responsible for their own repairs.    Your neighbor's insurance is responsible for his accident while your insurance is responsible for your repairs.

HOWEVER, if you file a report that YOU have been a victim of a hit and run, OR that your neighbor hit you, it dont matter, the INSURANCE will either file a police report to see if your neighbor has file a report with his insurance and get your neighbor that way or  if your neighbor mentioned that he hit you in his report...then YOUR insurance WILL claim something from HIS insurance...but most importantly...YOUR premiums will NOT go up while his will. And if HE claimed a false report, HE will be facing some legal action from either his insurance or police or both AND his insurance premiums WILL go up.

That would be in Quebec...

Like I said, in Quebec, its not too late to file a hit and run report...and when its time to repair your car, the insurance claims adjuster will not only assess what is to be repaired, but will assess how your accident came to be. And if YOUR claim seems to be false...well..your insurance will have some questions for you to answer....and maybe the police as well...  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

I do NOT want this to become the "new normal:"  I DID go ahead and cut my own hair.

I just grabbed "parallel" sections of it and took some off with a small pair of scissors.  Now, while it doesn't look bad,  it does NOT look good, either!

(After I finished, I realized that I had forgotten to take a photo of the longest hair I recall having.)

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Well then, if it was parked at the curb on a public street, it should be easy to assign blame onto the moving vehicle.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I do NOT want this to become the "new normal:"  I DID go ahead and cut my own hair.

I just grabbed "parallel" sections of it and took some off with a small pair of scissors.  Now, while it doesn't look bad,  it does NOT look good, either!

(After I finished, I realized that I had forgotten to take a photo of the longest hair I recall having.)

I woke up Thursday and had enough, found my son's trimmer and went to town with the number 7 guide.  It isn't great with my "mature" hairline but it will be better in a few weeks.

• Haha 1

So, when I first looked my Flex, prior to buying it in December, I noticed that the power lift gate was acting erratic. It would open about six inches and close back, regardless of whether it was closed all the way or open all the way first. I did a little research and discovered it was the hydraulics in the actuator going bad, and a new one was around $125 (give or take). I got them to knock another $300 off for the issue and they agreed. Well, when I got to NC, it was acting okay until a month ago when the problem resurfaced, so I bit the bullet and bought the actuator. Long story short, it only took about five minutes to switch out and the Flex is much happier now.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well then, if it was parked at the curb on a public street, it should be easy to assign blame onto the moving vehicle.

I wish it were that easy. Many of my neighbors also park their cars in the street. The sad part is their truck has no damage on it all just a little scuff. 

I will get to talk to them again this week.....

5 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

So, when I first looked my Flex, prior to buying it in December, I noticed that the power lift gate was acting erratic. It would open about six inches and close back, regardless of whether it was closed all the way or open all the way first. I did a little research and discovered it was the hydraulics in the actuator going bad, and a new one was around $125 (give or take). I got them to knock another $300 off for the issue and they agreed. Well, when I got to NC, it was acting okay until a month ago when the problem resurfaced, so I bit the bullet and bought the actuator. Long story short, it only took about five minutes to switch out and the Flex is much happier now.C0FF370C-223B-48F7-AE07-2A0DB1B9B1CB.MOV
19.34 MB · 3 downloads

Awesome video, great to see it working right.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I understand the principle behind it because the police have other things to take care of...such as crime.  (But what your neighbor is doing now IS crime in itself...its downright fraud) and the reason why I understand this is because the Montreal police ALSO have a similar policy. Well...they strongly suggest you refrain from calling the cops when a mutual police report is filed and the no-fault insurance policy takes over...     When an accident has occurred, we file an accident report and both parties involved have to sign the document.  If one party is did not sign, it could mean a hit and run. A criminal act.   If one party  does not agree to the accident report, then he files his own.  BUT...there is a report or two, being filed.  Information being exchanged. Name. addresses and phone numbers. Proof of insurance and valid drivers license. Little diagram of how the accident happened....

The police intervening in a normal accident, well, they just keep the peace and possibly control the traffic. But the accident report is filed in the same manner.  The police do not take sides.  If asked, they will just report on what they saw upon arrival. Unless of course they witnessed the accident happening...

The police is REQUIRE to be called when personal injury is made or property is damaged BUT if one party calls the police to the scene of an accident, no matter where the accident happens to occur, they WILL come. 

Can you file a hit and run report? 

Is it too late?

Because in Montreal, you still have time to report your accident as a hit and run BECAUSE proper information was NOT given to YOU BY the person hitting YOUR car...

In Quebec, the person actually hitting another car or property HAS the responsibility of reporting it to either the owner of the vehicle he hit, to the cops or to his insurance.  

But, BECAUSE in Quebec there is "no fault insurance", that only means the owners of the respective vehicle's insurance is responsible for their own repairs.    Your neighbor's insurance is responsible for his accident while your insurance is responsible for your repairs.

HOWEVER, if you file a report that YOU have been a victim of a hit and run, OR that your neighbor hit you, it dont matter, the INSURANCE will either file a police report to see if your neighbor has file a report with his insurance and get your neighbor that way or  if your neighbor mentioned that he hit you in his report...then YOUR insurance WILL claim something from HIS insurance...but most importantly...YOUR premiums will NOT go up while his will. And if HE claimed a false report, HE will be facing some legal action from either his insurance or police or both AND his insurance premiums WILL go up.

That would be in Quebec...

Like I said, in Quebec, its not too late to file a hit and run report...and when its time to repair your car, the insurance claims adjuster will not only assess what is to be repaired, but will assess how your accident came to be. And if YOUR claim seems to be false...well..your insurance will have some questions for you to answer....and maybe the police as well...  

Sadly, too late here to do it....

We have no fault in Michigan too, and regardless with who is at fault-my insurance would have to pick it up. Then maybe sue the other person. And the Balt only has basic insurance on it due to age and mileage....so again it falls on me.. ? 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, frogger said:

I woke up Thursday and had enough, found my son's trimmer and went to town with the number 7 guide.  It isn't great with my "mature" hairline but it will be better in a few weeks.

Yes ... went to town ...