Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

I see news stories of people in the South (LA) and in "the South" (FL) who are violating social distancing rules and holding church services.  Stooo-pid.  I guess the concept that "God helps those who help themselves" doesn't resonate with them.

This is problematic when, in mid-March, prior to all the protocols taking effect, a choir ensemble two counties north of Seattle met to rehearse.   It didn't turn out good.

On the bright side:

J&J is identifying vaccine candidates for trials in September.  The FDA approved the use of the anti-malaria drug to treat COVID-19 patients with active cases.

Some famous people have bounced back - Sophie Trudeau - mid-40s, Tom Hanks and his wife - early 60s (he is diabetic type 2) ... they evidently took the very long flight from Australia to get back to Los Angeles.  We'll definitely hear more as more VIP types heal up.

Holding good thoughts ...

• Agree 1

Today is such a Monday at work.  Most of the people I work with in the Scottsdale and Tampa offices are WFH, but our data center in Miami had a major hardware failure and all our DEV/QA/PROD systems and servers are down--internal and external systems.   Email, MS Teams, and the VPN and my VM are still working as they are in the Scottsdale office.

Also the A/C is out in the Scottsdale office.

• Sad 1

73 degrees and beautiful clear blue here in Scottsdale.

IT Dept. should turn on the ventilation fans that the server room should have, open server room entry doors and open any windows close to the room then use commercial dryer fans to push the air towards the server room, just don't want it much above 95 degrees in there. Google has huge data centers that operate at 95 all day long.

• Agree 1

After almost 3 years of doing WFH full time, I'd find it difficult going back to cube life.  At some point, though, I probably will, down the road..a cube somewhere out there...will be interesting to see how things in IT and office work in general evolve once things 'return to normal' in 6-18 months or whenever...

AdobeStock_172042778.jpeg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I'm not liking working from home either. I much prefer a work setting. I wish my commute was shorter but I like the getting out and being in a work environment. 

I just wish I was working.....sucks to be laid off, even if it is temporary ( they say). And at both jobs.

There is only so much I can do at home... ? 

• Sad 2

BING added a tracking site pulling data from WHO and John Hopkins.

Really like how it lets you burrow down into the data and easily back up. One of the best I have seen so far.

https://www.bing.com/covid?form=COVD07

image.png

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t miss the fluorescent lights and beige cloth covered walls.  I do sometimes miss the team lunches and team happy hours.

Working out of the house, a free-range software engineer, a man without a cube.  

• Agree 3

15 hours ago, daves87rs said:

I just wish I was working.....sucks to be laid off, even if it is temporary ( they say). And at both jobs.

There is only so much I can do at home... ? 

That's very true. I'm fortunate to still be able TO work. I need to because my wife is a hair stylist and she obviously can't work right now. 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I don’t miss the fluorescent lights and beige cloth covered walls.  I do sometimes miss the team lunches and team happy hours.

The fluorescent lights and beige cloth covered walls can be soul sucking.  If they design those spaces with people in mind, they can lower those beige cloth walls down to 3 or 3.5 feet and it opens up the room.  I don't know if, in that industry, you need the walls to pin up a lot of information.  File cabinets can also be tucked underneath.  

Cube city is just a cop out because it's mass produced and cheap.  I don't think it's good for morale over the long haul.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

The fluorescent lights and beige cloth covered walls can be soul sucking.  If they design those spaces with people in mind, they can lower those beige cloth walls down to 3 or 3.5 feet and it opens up the room.  I don't know if, in that industry, you need the walls to pin up a lot of information.  File cabinets can also be tucked underneath.  

Cube city is just a cop out because it's mass produced and cheap.  I don't think it's good for morale over the long haul.

Some cube environments are better than others. Some people elaborately decorate their cubicles, make them a home away from home I guess.   When I worked in a cube before, I kept mine minimal, never knew when I'd have to pack up in 30 seconds and run.   (per one of my favorite movie quotes--"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner"

I hate the open plan style offices, where I sit in a row a foot from other people w/ no divider. 

I've had a few windows cubes in the past, some with a view of a parking lot and a couple that were up high (3rd and 8th floors) w/ mountain views.    I did have a private office for a few months early in my career, that was nice..had  a view of Pikes Peak. 

16 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

After almost 3 years of doing WFH full time, I'd find it difficult going back to cube life.  At some point, though, I probably will, down the road..a cube somewhere out there...will be interesting to see how things in IT and office work in general evolve once things 'return to normal' in 6-18 months or whenever...

AdobeStock_172042778.jpeg

Honestly, I don't hate the cube life. I like to be organized and keep my things in certain places and it's a nice way to keep organized. 

Our building is being remodeled floor by floor and when it's finished there won't be tall cube walls anywhere so it'll won't be the super isolated life it is now. The walls won't even go over the monitors so they'll be super low. It'll be an interesting change and we had that when we were located on a different floor for about a year. I liked it because it was easy to ask or talk to a team member without getting up and walking around the walls. 

11 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Yep. fluorescent lights and beige walls are two of the things going in the remodel. It'll be all modern in white, greys, and wood. It's a VERY refreshing look compared to your above picture which is basically what the old floors look like to the T. 

29 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yep. fluorescent lights and beige walls are two of the things going in the remodel. It'll be all modern in white, greys, and wood. It's a VERY refreshing look compared to your above picture which is basically what the old floors look like to the T. 

I have thought about shopping for used office furniture and building a cubicle in my home office. I do have a name tag.  (only semi-serious)

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

I worked in a small office for 10 years. I guess about the first 2 I was in a cube, after that I was in 2 different single rooms/offices. Could never go back to that.
- - - - -
For 'blu :

GrundyCoIA40.png

Afraid it'd be yellow, not green tho. Apologies.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

I have to disagree, I HATE Google and Amazon open space work area with all the noise and no privacy. I was at Legato which was bought out by EMC and we had the normal 5ft cubicle walls but every other cubicle was a different color as the company had 3 colors in their logo. They then had 4ft of clear plexi glass wall above so you could cut out the noise of the coworkers. All lights were day light equal indirect bulbs. So you had a sun equal bright work area with no direct harsh glare. It was great cause you could stand up, see people but the noise level was tolerable. 

I been in areas where you have sales folks and in an open concept, the noise is destructive as all those Alpha Sales peeps are talking louder and louder to be heard over everyone else.

So for me, NO, I want walls and quiet. I loved my time at Microsoft as everyone had their own office, 450 sq ft of solitude and yet big open spaces in the center of the building for working with others when needed, plenty of meeting rooms, etc. There are better ways than the Google / Amazon cheap hell of open concept work space.

53 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Honestly, I don't hate the cube life. I like to be organized and keep my things in certain places and it's a nice way to keep organized. 

Our building is being remodeled floor by floor and when it's finished there won't be tall cube walls anywhere so it'll won't be the super isolated life it is now. The walls won't even go over the monitors so they'll be super low. It'll be an interesting change and we had that when we were located on a different floor for about a year. I liked it because it was easy to ask or talk to a team member without getting up and walking around the walls. 

Google and Amazon have started to build with clear Plexiglas office space that goes away from the open concept as at first it is very novel, but then the noise level makes it hard for many to concentrate. The open concept was very 1960's dictator type management and it has not worked as studies show productivity goes down.

I wish you all the best when you go back in as I suspect in a few months after you been there, noise levels and distractions will affect over all productivity.

53 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I have thought about shopping for used office furniture and building a cubicle in my home office. I do have a name tag.  (only semi-serious)

Great deals and it does help with focus and removal of distractions as you go into work mode, sit down and you are away from your house distractions even when in your own house. Always good to have an office. Your back yard is big enough, consider adding another room as an office setup for you to optimize your work and have a door to the back yard so you can step out when it is nice to take a break.

• Agree 1

One of the nicer office cube alternative arrangements I saw was back in '99 at the then-new Broomfield, Co campus of Sun Microsystems when I interviewed w/ them..they had small offices for all developers w/ sliding glass doors on each office and a glass wall, and two solid walls.   I almost took a job w/ them as a sales engineer, but it was 100% travel. 

Back in '98 I interviewed at Object Space in Addison, Tx and never forget what one of the devs said to me..I asked him where are the cubicles--everyone was in offices--and he said it would be inhumane to put engineers in cubicles' or something like that...got an offer, didn't like what I saw of the Dallas area, too flat compared to Colorado.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

AAA is reporting that the National average for a gallon of gas has hit $1.997 per gallon. First time since early 2000's that gas has become this cheap.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/31/gasoline-prices-2-dollars-gallon/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Things helping us in the fight against COVID-19

- technology (more advanced) and information (for scientists to tap into and to keep people informed)

Things hurting us in the fight against COVID-19

- mobility - 100 years ago (~ 1918) there were fewer cars, buses, subway vehicles, and commercial air travel was not an option - you just stayed in your neck of the woods

I so badly would like to go out to get a cup of coffee or tea ... and sit in there while I'm doing that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I so badly would like to go out to get a cup of coffee or tea ... and sit in there while I'm doing that.

Yes, I miss the little normal things.  WFH full time, I enjoyed going out for dinner or breakfast.  Or going downtown to some of the brewpubs, esp. once the weather gets nicer..sitting outside on the Cuyahoga River watching the huge cargo ships go by... or going to the beach. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

I worked in a small office for 10 years. I guess about the first 2 I was in a cube, after that I was in 2 different single rooms/offices. Could never go back to that.
- - - - -
For 'blu :

GrundyCoIA40.png

Afraid it'd be yellow, not green tho. Apologies.

MINNEAPOLIS-MOLINE!

Awesome, thanks Balthy.

Moline,

Moline,

Moline,

MOLIIIIINE...

I'm begging of you please don't take my man!

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Bet @ocnblu is in the far back seat causing a ruckus! :P

Well if there is a ruckus to be caused...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Heading out in the world to work today to finish up 2 small outside jobs. Also have to venture into the Depot for a few things.

Stay Safe and distant my friend. Wishing you all the best as you move around in this crazy pandemic world.

New Music albums taking social distancing into effect.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Hopefully will get some decent weather this weekend to do a bit of yard work in the back.  Got a shipment from Home Depot yesterday of top soil, mulch, grass seed, etc to start the season.  Had my wheelbarrow out..felt real.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, balthazar said:

Here comes trouble.

OrthMN37.png

It's like a vehicle full of Granny Clampetts.

Edited by trinacriabob
Clampett spelling correction
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

@balthazar Seems various universities are constantly creating new maps as are news outlets. Associated Press asked the University of Chicago if they could build a map that tracks Covid-19 infections and deaths by county across the whole US. Thought this was very good . https://chicago.suntimes.com/coronavirus-data/2020/4/1/21203507/united-states-coronavirus-map-cases-by-county-live-updates

The story points to AP chart by County of Infections / Deaths based on John Hopkins University data in association with the WHO.

https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/nRyaf/23/

Just move your mouse over each county and the data pops up. WOW ?

image.png

Had to go out today, got gas and it was $1.39 for regular.  $10 filled up the Trax.   Funny thing is the sign at the gas station said .39 on one side and 1.39 on the other side...   beautiful sunny day, no traffic. 

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Had to go out today, got gas and it was $1.39 for regular.  $10 filled up the Trax.   Funny thing is the sign at the gas station said .39 on one side and 1.39 on the other side...   beautiful sunny day, no traffic. 

I went high end with some 93 for the lawnmower, and topped off my Cobalt for $10. Not bad I say!