Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

My inspirational quote for the day:

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

The problem is that stupidity and malice are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The problem is that stupidity and malice are not mutually exclusive.

While true... most of my co-workers are not at all malicious, however the same cannot be said of the other trait. 

53 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

While true... most of my co-workers are not at all malicious, however the same cannot be said of the other trait. 

I am fortunate to work with some really smart people.

Anyone looking for a 1965 Buick special project car in good shape?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/6207612770.html

@Camino LS6 1966 with big block El Camino for sale. Thought you would like this baby!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6207588534.html

WOW, Guy loves his studebakers, whole project cars for sale. some in decent shape.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/6207578764.html

1973 Plymouth Roadrunner crazy seller asking $13K

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6207570758.html

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

WOW, Guy loves his studebakers, whole project cars for sale. some in decent shape.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/6207578764.html

1973 Plymouth Roadrunner crazy seller asking $13K

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6207570758.html

62 Hawk is one of my favorite cars.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Anyone looking for a 1965 Buick special project car in good shape?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/6207612770.html

@Camino LS6 1966 with big block El Camino for sale. Thought you would like this baby!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6207588534.html

My father had a Buick like that, two door in blue. The car I came home from the hospital in.  It never right a single day from new, Dad swore off GM products for fifteen years after that.

Camino has been gone from these parts for three years or so...

13 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Oh my! Buick was really ahead of the times in the 1950s with this ad.

FB_IMG_1499388317734.jpg

I am sure they had quite the powerful blue fireball.

Also, love that Era of Buick.  Seeing these at car shows as a kid was one of the reasons I fell in love with cars in the first place.

• Haha 2

Wife: 'What are you doing?'
Husband: Nothing.
Wife: 'Nothing?  You've been reading our marriage certificate for an hour.'
Husband: 'I was looking for the expiration date.'

image.png

Girl: 'When we get married, I want to share all your worries and troubles and lighten your burden.'
Boy: 'It's very kind of you, darling, but I don't have any worries or troubles.'
Girl: 'Well. that's because we aren't married yet.'

Also

A wife asked her husband: 'What do you like most in me, my pretty face or my sexy body?'
He looked at her from head to toe and replied: ' I like your sense of humor.'

image.png

image.png

Usually I am not so anal about jokes. Im a pretty funny guy myself in and real life outside the internet forums, or even in internet forums, Im a cartoon character.

But...this joke I don't find funny at al...

25 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Wife: 'What are you doing?'
Husband: Nothing.
Wife: 'Nothing?  You've been reading our marriage certificate for an hour.'
Husband: 'I was looking for the expiration date.'

Why you ask?

Because of these little words when one marries in a more or less Christian based religion.

"I, ___, take thee, ___, to be my wedded husband/wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee my faith [or] pledge myself to you."

for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part

• for better, for worse
  • for richer, for poorer
  • in sickness and in health
  • till death do us part
  • till death do us part
  • till death do us part

That should be your expiration date right there!!! 

Sorry that I sucked the life out of that joke. And no! I am not at the very least offended. I just thought about it for a while and said to myself...wow, that joked sucked ballz!!!  :D

Edited by oldshurst442

36 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Usually I am not so anal about jokes. Im a pretty funny guy myself in and real life outside the internet forums, or even in internet forums, Im a cartoon character.

But...this joke I don't find funny at al...

Why you ask?

Because of these little words when one marries in a more or less Christian based religion.

for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part

• for better, for worse
  • for richer, for poorer
  • in sickness and in health
  • till death do us part
  • till death do us part
  • till death do us part

That should be your expiration date right there!!! 

Sorry that I sucked the life out of that joke. And no! I am not at the very least offended. I just thought about it for a while and said to myself...wow, that joked sucked ballz!!!  :D

I can see your point...I have been married for 29 plus years, with the same woman for 32.  there does come a point with certain people sadly where they just don't belong together.

Personally, I think there are two key things...learn to fight fair and make sure you are friends and not just lovers before you get married.

I believe that divorce is sometimes necessary, but really sad....

@oldshurst442 & @A Horse With No Name

coming up on 26 years of marriage and 27 years of knowing my wife. I see both your points and realize that at some point people do grow apart and that tends to happen due to a lack of communication and shared interests. If you cannot spend at least a fraction of your time together be it watching movies, gardening, hiking, working out, etc. and cannot have a decent open conversation, then there is a good chance you should have never gotten married. To many of the short term marriages I see today, that 3 out of 5 marriages end in divorce in the first 3 years here in North America tends to come from the inability to actually communicate and have some shared interests.

Was leaving a job the other day (residential driveway) when a woman & her son pulled up in a Tesla Model X. He climbed out the pass door while she popped half out the driver's side to talk for half a minute. Mom was dropping him off.

As the son moved into the house's back yard and mom finished talking to me, I noted that the kid had forgotten to close the passenger door. Since mom pulled in nose-first, he had to walk around the open door. I glanced away a moment and when I looked up- both doors were closed and the X was backing out.

My assumption here is the Model X has power closing doors, and not just from an ajar position but from fully open.

When, pray tell, did human beings become so utterly helpless (on their way to useless)?

^ The doors on the Model X are power opening and closing, apparently the reason is so the car can drop you off and go on it's way, (in the future when they are more autonomous).

https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/20/13345440/tesla-model-x-autonomous-self-opening-door

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2017 at 7:31 AM, dfelt said:

coming up on 26 years of marriage and 27 years of knowing my wife. I see both your points and realize that at some point people do grow apart and that tends to happen due to a lack of communication and shared interests. If you cannot spend at least a fraction of your time together be it watching movies, gardening, hiking, working out, etc. and cannot have a decent open conversation, then there is a good chance you should have never gotten married. To many of the short term marriages I see today, that 3 out of 5 marriages end in divorce in the first 3 years here in North America tends to come from the inability to actually communicate and have some shared interests.

Thinking on this more overnight, technology has shown us how many people are introverted and as such, they grasp to the first straw I think of some companionship due to the awkwardness of having to actually work on a relationship. I think this also contributes to the shortness of marriage. Lack of personal interaction skills.

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Was leaving a job the other day (residential driveway) when a woman & her son pulled up in a Tesla Model X. He climbed out the pass door while she popped half out the driver's side to talk for half a minute. Mom was dropping him off.

As the son moved into the house's back yard and mom finished talking to me, I noted that the kid had forgotten to close the passenger door. Since mom pulled in nose-first, he had to walk around the open door. I glanced away a moment and when I looked up- both doors were closed and the X was backing out.

My assumption here is the Model X has power closing doors, and not just from an ajar position but from fully open.

When, pray tell, did human beings become so utterly helpless (on their way to useless)?

LOL, Yes, the Model X Tesla has auto closing doors. Tesla is actually honest about ripping this idea off from the Taxis in Japan where they pull up and the door auto opens for the customer to get in and then auto closes. 

While a cool feature that I loved when going to college in Japan, I also see it as laziness in humans as those that grow up like this kid with parents that can afford an expensive auto like the Tesla Model X will come to think all auto's have this feature and then when they get into a normal car will not know what to do.

Good catch Mr. B.

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

^ The doors on the Model X are power opening and closing, apparently the reason is so the car can drop you off and go on it's way, (in the future when they are more autonomous).

https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/20/13345440/tesla-model-x-autonomous-self-opening-door

Yup, this is also another future focus reason. Course also additional parts to break down. New Mechanics of the future will be more computer based service tech than auto mechanic of the ICE age.

I am loving my daughters dinner time stories about claims now that she is working as an automobile claims adjuster.

The best one last night was...

(Daughter) So tell me about your accident...

(Claimant) So both the Car and the Possum were airborne at the time of the collision....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I am loving my daughters dinner time stories about claims now that she is working as an automobile claims adjuster.

The best one last night was...

(Daughter) So tell me about your accident...

(Claimant) So both the Car and the Possum were airborne at the time of the collision....

Kinda like the Jeep hitting the Moose!

moosecollision-630x339.jpg

:o

19 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Kinda like the Jeep hitting the Moose!

moosecollision-630x339.jpg

:o

I had a co worker John, several years ago who hit a moose in a Mazda 323...a very small car...also knew a trucker who hit a Moose and it came right up through the wind shield of his semi...he had to get the Semi Stopped and get out with a badly startled and injured moose attempting to get free inside of the cab...That would ahve freaked me out...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 10.40.56 PM.png

I like this drawing as a very exciting modern take on an old luxury auto. Yet with that said, the tank like high windows is the one thing I would not like. This is one of my main problems with the Camaro, those high belt lines and little windows.

On 7/7/2017 at 10:31 AM, dfelt said:

Coming up on 16 years on mine.....never easy, but always worth it....

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

On 7/16/2017 at 5:50 PM, dfelt said:

Spent the day and gave my SS the spa treatment. Now all set for summer. Gotta love that smooth waxed painted surface. :)

20170716_153319.jpg

One thing different if I ever get some spare change is to take the air intake vents in the front, chevy logo's and rims and have them all black chromed so they would better blend with the rest of the ride.

GM sent out a private invitation to buy a new GM auto, 2017 or 2018 auto, with the pin included in the mailing, here is the discounts available on all GM products. Some pretty nice rebates that can be transfered to anyone else living at the same address with proof of address on a DL. 90 days deferred payment start, Must finance through GM Financial, FL, PA and TX are exempt from the 90 day deferred payment start. States can be used with other available programs, but a few are exempt, dealership to see Corporate Program # 17-40CBI.

Interesting :scratchchin:

20170718_113140.jpg

was tagging along with a brand new CT6 on US Route 1 today, dark red.

Gotta, say; Cadillac nailed this car extremely well. As it moved fore & aft of me, giving me dozens of angles to watch it (slow traffic) at times 4 or 5 cars back, it just has a boatload of presence. I think those who've banged it for being 'conservative' missed the point that it looks exceptionally, terrifically good. Has the 1 thing BMW does well; stance, and adds one thing BMW is mediocre at; sleekness.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, balthazar said:

was tagging along with a brand new CT6 on US Route 1 today, dark red.

Gotta, say; Cadillac nailed this car extremely well. As it moved fore & aft of me, giving me dozens of angles to watch it (slow traffic) at times 4 or 5 cars back, it just has a boatload of presence. I think those who've banged it for being 'conservative' missed the point that it looks exceptionally, terrifically good. Has the 1 thing BMW does well; stance, and adds one thing BMW is mediocre at; sleekness.

Ive yet to see one in the wild.

Saw it in the autoshow last winter. I wasnt blown away with it looking at it indoors.

Although I did not find it awe inspiring indoors, I did find it to be good looking. A million times better looking than the 7 Series Bimmer (and 5 Series for that matter) but not quite as imposing (in a good way) as the M-B S Class. Although the S Class is not that good looking either. But it is imposing in a positive way it gets a pass from me.  The E Class is just as ugly as the 5 and 7 Series Bimmer. The E Class lacks the charisma big brother S Class has.  (According to my eyes)

The Lincoln Continental also failed to impress me...but it was indoors. I havent seen this one out in the wild either. But, I can say that had the Continental been a tad longer to accentuate long sleek Continentals of yore while keeping that same style, it be hella sexier.  The way it is now, it just kinda looks a tad frumpy to me.

Back to the CT6...I must say, it does appear to accentuate a long sleek design.

The only thing Id change would be in the rear. Id accentuate those blade LED lights back there STATING ITS A CADILLAC GOD DAMMIT!!!

I would've liked to see taller rear tails, but the ones it's currently sporting are clean.

I see lots of higher end stuff regularly- I've seen 3 or 4 Maseratis in the last 2 weeks (1 may have been a repeat).
I've seen a number of CT6's but this was the first 'long look' at speed. S-classes are all over and they're always black it seems. Since the last redesign was so minor, it's like the same design has been running around for 12 years. It's so safe and bland, but MB designs for China, so. ;)

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2017 at 8:50 PM, dfelt said:

Spent the day and gave my SS the spa treatment. Now all set for summer. Gotta love that smooth waxed painted surface. :)

20170716_153319.jpg

Always loved the Tibbys....I think if I could still find a good SS out there, I might jump on it.....

Look great!!

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

GM sent out a private invitation to buy a new GM auto, 2017 or 2018 auto, with the pin included in the mailing, here is the discounts available on all GM products. Some pretty nice rebates that can be transfered to anyone else living at the same address with proof of address on a DL. 90 days deferred payment start, Must finance through GM Financial, FL, PA and TX are exempt from the 90 day deferred payment start. States can be used with other available programs, but a few are exempt, dealership to see Corporate Program # 17-40CBI.

Interesting :scratchchin:

20170718_113140.jpg

Not bad...makes the Cruze a pretty good deal.....

• Agree 1

Someone in my neighborhood has a silver TrailBlazer SS...seen it a couple of times, pretty heavy rust on the doors and rear hatch, and the front and rear bumpers are cracked with chunks missing... :( 

On 7/19/2017 at 4:28 AM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Someone in my neighborhood has a silver TrailBlazer SS...seen it a couple of times, pretty heavy rust on the doors and rear hatch, and the front and rear bumpers are cracked with chunks missing... :( 

Ouch Poor Corvette in an SUV disguise! :( 

• Sad 1

Interesting, the built and price of 2018 Mustang is active. Starting price of GT is $35095 and GT Premium $39095.  However, if you add to both performance package and magneride damping, the price gap becomes very narrow: $43685 vs $45685

Edited by ykX

I towed 2 cars Sunday with my truck. When I scrapped the first one @ 3340 lbs, my truck, the trailer & the car weighed 13,600 lbs, which is 1600 lbs over recommended. The 2nd vehicle (the ElCam posted elsewhere) was another 500 lbs more via curb weights- that's 14,100 on a recommended 12,000. Trailer was heavy @ 3600 lbs. But Duramax don't give a shit.

I have considered I don't 'need' a 3/4-ton turbodiesel in my next truck... but sometimes it's real nice to have it. This is the mindset of truck buyers; reserve capability, something car buyers don't understand IMO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

50 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I towed 2 cars Sunday with my truck. When I scrapped the first one @ 3340 lbs, my truck, the trailer & the car weighed 13,600 lbs, which is 1600 lbs over recommended. The 2nd vehicle (the ElCam posted elsewhere) was another 500 lbs more via curb weights- that's 14,100 on a recommended 12,000. Trailer was heavy @ 3600 lbs. But Duramax don't give a shit.

I have considered I don't 'need' a 3/4-ton turbodiesel in my next truck... but sometimes it's real nice to have it. This is the mindset of truck buyers; reserve capability, something car buyers don't understand IMO.

Totally agree, always nice to have a comfort zone of space for those times you need the extra. Plus weather can also play a role, so just nice to have the added beef of a 3/4-ton diesel.

• Agree 1

On 7/26/2017 at 8:47 AM, balthazar said:

I so want a diesel full size truck at some point...

19 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Idiot crashes and totals his $288,000 Scuderia Ferrari 60 min after picking it up from dealership. :pokeowned:

http://fortune.com/2017/07/28/ferrari-430-scuderia-crash-m1-highway/?iid=sr-link1

One born every minute...

On 7/26/2017 at 7:43 AM, ykX said:

Interesting, the built and price of 2018 Mustang is active. Starting price of GT is $35095 and GT Premium $39095.  However, if you add to both performance package and magneride damping, the price gap becomes very narrow: $43685 vs $45685

Still a real bargain.

On 7/19/2017 at 7:28 AM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

As Camino always used to say, the rolling junk yards of Ohio.

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

As Camino always used to say, the rolling junk yards of Ohio.

One would think that having sealed wheel wells and undercarriage would be common sense, but then I guess Detroit counts on rusting out auto's to force replacement.

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

One would think that having sealed wheel wells and undercarriage would be common sense, but then I guess Detroit counts on rusting out auto's to force replacement.

In Ohio we think of vehicles as biodegradable and self recycling...it is a feature rather than a fault...

• Haha 3

On 7/26/2017 at 8:47 AM, balthazar said:

I towed 2 cars Sunday with my truck. When I scrapped the first one @ 3340 lbs, my truck, the trailer & the car weighed 13,600 lbs, which is 1600 lbs over recommended. The 2nd vehicle (the ElCam posted elsewhere) was another 500 lbs more via curb weights- that's 14,100 on a recommended 12,000. Trailer was heavy @ 3600 lbs. But Duramax don't give a $h!.

It's that thought that has thrown thought to a truck again here...

Pretty sure it would have to be used.....

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Feeling lazy- someone ID this hood for me.
Looks factory in how it's faired in, but certainly could be custom. There's holes for 6 individual letters across the front.

fi107.jpg

cannot place it but looks sixties and Mopar to me.