Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

I alluded to it in another thread that I had a bit of a medical on monday.  I'm fine but still feeling out of it.  I hadn't really eaten much since sunday morning, little sleep, very little breakfast sunday morning, overly hot Cobo center while I'm wearing a suit jacket.... my blood sugar dropped and so did I.... in the middle of the Chevy booth.

I sat it out for about an hour drinking O.J. and just went on with the show at a slow pace the rest of the day.  I'm heading home tonight so I have a full day to rest tomorrow.  I'm still kinda "meh" but okay. 

• Agree 4

I alluded to it in another thread that I had a bit of a medical on monday.  I'm fine but still feeling out of it.  I hadn't really eaten much since sunday morning, little sleep, very little breakfast sunday morning, overly hot Cobo center while I'm wearing a suit jacket.... my blood sugar dropped and so did I.... in the middle of the Chevy booth.

I sat it out for about an hour drinking O.J. and just went on with the show at a slow pace the rest of the day.  I'm heading home tonight so I have a full day to rest tomorrow.  I'm still kinda "meh" but okay. 

Thanks Drew for the update, glad to hear your OK. Take a rest and recharge. 

Thank you for all you have done during the auto show. Take some well deserved RnR.

• Agree 2

How is this a thing? It seems so incredibly cheap as if it is being stolen. I should have looked at Volts before buying my Escape.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=62249&endYear=2015&modelCode1=VOLT&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=67757&startYear=1981&makeCode1=CHEV&firstRecord=25&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=389578801&mmt=%5BCHEV%5BVOLT%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=412692188&Log=0

$12,700, 26k miles. 

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=62249&endYear=2015&modelCode1=VOLT&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=67757&startYear=1981&makeCode1=CHEV&firstRecord=25&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=389578801&mmt=%5BCHEV%5BVOLT%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=419717150&Log=0

I thought this was actually a very awesome commercial by Nissan. Props to them.

WOW, I would never buy anything but American but I have to give props to the Marketing team at Nissan, That commercial Rocks.

I'm glad you guys appreciated it as much as I did. I loved it. 

I thought this was actually a very awesome commercial by Nissan. Props to them.

i thought it was well played. props. it reminded me of the superbowl commercial nissan did with the racer and his family. in fact i went back and watched that one after this one heheh.

http://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/ebay-find-this-1978-olds-toronado-xs-is-in-crazy-good-shape-and-is-kind-of-neat/

saw this beast on bangshift.com today. back glass for daaaaaaayyyys. it amazes me how they pulled off crazy shaped back windows back in the day... and also makes me wonder how do they replace them?

olds2-685x514.jpg

http://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/ebay-find-this-1978-olds-toronado-xs-is-in-crazy-good-shape-and-is-kind-of-neat/

saw this beast on bangshift.com today. back glass for daaaaaaayyyys. it amazes me how they pulled off crazy shaped back windows back in the day... and also makes me wonder how do they replace them?

olds2-685x514.jpg

The days of glass like this are over due to roll over and roof crushing test to pass.

Over all love the auto, beautiful, I agree, wonder how they replace the glass when it needs to be done.

That's the "XSR" model, correct?
Years ago there was one local to me I saw semi-regularly in town, used to always look it over since it was unique. One of the last examples of a minor yet completely unique body styling feature on an existing model, OEMs just don't do non-plastic changes like this within a model / model year.

Didn't the '77-79 era Impala coupe have a similar 'folded' backlight - was that another option or did all that year(s) Impys have the same glass?

• Agree 1

olds2-685x514.jpg

Electric defrost on the sides too!

olds2-685x514.jpg

Electric defrost on the sides too!

Love the cyclop lights that are just at the base of this cool window. I always loved the 4 eye brake light look.

Can't do it without peeling off the vinyl top first.  A hateful situation.

I wonder if it was installed from the inside, pull the head liners out and the trim around the back dash. Would be cool to really know if you go from outside or inside. Suck if you have to peel that top. Also as Drew pointed out, side defrosters, very cool but suck if oneof the lines broke.

327 Camaro, anybody? 

This one is for Olds! I had to quote you to make sure you saw it. lol.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3773462/1

In all seriousness, this guy put a lot of time and energy into this build and it's awesome.  

And yet..I still missed it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-YqaTDDCDM

Yes Ray Charles...meaning IM BLIND!!!

327 Camaro, anybody? 

This one is for Olds! I had to quote you to make sure you saw it. lol.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3773462/1

In all seriousness, this guy put a lot of time and energy into this build and it's awesome.

And yet..I still missed it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-YqaTDDCDM

Yes Ray Charles...meaning IM BLIND!!!

Haha well I'm glad you still found it!

Did you read through the thread at all? The guy did some real work on that car. He's working on building a 6.0 for it though to "throw" in it. I thought it was awesome that he wanted to buy a brand new Camaro but when he saw the prices for the V8 opted to build his own V8 camaro.

Yeah, I read it.

Like you said. He worked hard on it. Very cool build indeed.

I found his hard work entertaining in the fun irony of things in that the 4rth gen F-Body Camaro was canceled and was kinda replaced by the SSr...with a 5.3 liter V8 under the hood initially...and he took a 5.3 liter V8..from a Tahoe...and shoved it under the hood of the Camaro.

Very cool indeed...

But I did not catch the 6.0 part...Ill reread the thread again.

Can't do it without peeling off the vinyl top first.  A hateful situation.

I wonder if it was installed from the inside, pull the head liners out and the trim around the back dash. Would be cool to really know if you go from outside or inside. Suck if you have to peel that top. Also as Drew pointed out, side defrosters, very cool but suck if oneof the lines broke.

No sir, it wasn't

Yeah, I read it.

Like you said. He worked hard on it. Very cool build indeed.

I found his hard work entertaining in the fun irony of things in that the 4rth gen F-Body Camaro was canceled and was kinda replaced by the SSr...with a 5.3 liter V8 under the hood initially...and he took a 5.3 liter V8..from a Tahoe...and shoved it under the hood of the Camaro.

Very cool indeed...

But I did not catch the 6.0 part...Ill reread the thread again.

The last couple of pages is a few ppl talking about which can to put in the 6.0. I don't remember where he first brought up the 6.0 though.

I wish I had the time, money, and mechanical skill to even be able to do something like that. It'd be great to find a 5.4 from a truck for dirt cheap and build it and cram it in a 99-04 mustang(my fav body). Really only to have something different lol

Edited by ccap41

Random observation---I hadn't realized that it's only some Ram truck trims that have the silly new grilles with the giant RAM letters...saw a tv ad and looked on the Ram site, most still seem to have the cross hatch grille.

Random observation---I hadn't realized that it's only some Ram truck trims that have the silly new grilles with the giant RAM letters...saw a tv ad and looked on the Ram site, most still seem to have the cross hatch grille.

Yeah, I think only the Ram Rebel has the funky new grille

Yeah, I think only the Ram Rebel has the funky new grille

There is also one trim level that has a chromed one with the big RAM letters..Ram 1500 Limited.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 2

That's the "XSR" model, correct?

Didn't the '77-79 era Impala coupe have a similar 'folded' backlight - was that another option or did all that year(s) Impys have the same glass?

Yes, Toronado XS.  According to the Wikipedia, the XS and XSR both had the bent glass window, but the XSR had power t-tops that slid inward into the roof.. The design suffered from water leakage, and was only a one off prototype.  The XS had a power sunroof.   (fun fact: Tomica of Japan made a 1/64th scale XSR in white, I have one in my collection). 

All the '77-79 Impala and Caprice coupes had the 'bent glass' rear windows, similiar to the later Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe back window.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I believe that's also the one with the Automotive World's Largest Lettering across the tailgate. Saw one the other day, that alone would be a deal breaker for me. Too obnoxious.

Indeed. I believe astronauts on the space station can actually see it.

I'm surprised Ford or Chevy haven't tried to one-up them, with a blue oval or bow tie so large it extends into the taillights...or GMC with the three letters as tall as the taillgate itself... :)

I truly believe all states in our great nation should follow main in making all businesses close for all federally recognized holidays. :)

Agreed... I have to go to work today..the only places I've worked in the past that took off all federal holidays were a municipal office and a bank..

"Making" businesses close? If state entities, that's fine. Non-state entities can make their own calls.

So are you saying that on days when the banks, postal, schools, pretty much all gov employees have off that you would not like to be off also on that day? Other than gas, hotel, grocery and restaurants why not have everyone off spending time with family?

• Agree 1

"Making" businesses close? If state entities, that's fine. Non-state entities can make their own calls.

So are you saying that on days when the banks, postal, schools, pretty much all gov employees have off that you would not like to be off also on that day? Other than gas, hotel, grocery and restaurants why not have everyone off spending time with family?

Well, I'm my own boss, but that said; I work on plenty of holidays, at my choice. Other than a handful of the holidays, they aren't really 'family time' days by nature, anyway. Columbus Day- pffft! In fact, working on holidays insures a lot better commute. ;)

Just seems to me we have a pretty good list of holidays as it is, and I still prefer if private companies made their own call.

• Agree 1

There are only 10 federal holidays in 2016, I only get 8 of them off through my contracting house, but my client takes 9 plus the Friday after Thanksgiving ( which should be a holiday). In addition to the holidays, only get 15 PTO days but since I work 4 9s and do a half day on Fridays it's not too bad...

Between federal holidays, sick days and vacation time, most corporate employees have far more time off than I do. My wife works for a major financial: she gets the 10 fed days, 10 sick days & 5 weeks vacation. That's NINE weeks ( realize that's absolutely on the high end). 

Unfortunately, there are days I have to take off due to weather & the work planned for that day. If I can 'catch up' by working New Years day or President's Day, I'm all for it. Especially since I have zero paid days off. But I appreciate being able to make that call myself.

Edited by balthazar

Best sounding Chevy SB every.....the 302

when the super chevy show was regularly making a stop at the atlanta dragways we would go. there was always a guy there with a rally green 69 camaro z28 rs that had the factory cross ram 2 4bbl intake mounted. it was immaculate. the only thing he did was put in a tremec 5sp for hwy driving but the m22 was squirreled away in plastic at his house. i asked if it was for sale and he said of course for the right price. he planned on retiring off of it and had previously declined an offer of 65K for it. for the options on it i feel like he was justified, but he'd have to find a serious collector for the scratch he was wanting for it.

Well, I'm my own boss, but that said; I work on plenty of holidays, at my choice. Other than a handful of the holidays, they aren't really 'family time' days by nature, anyway. Columbus Day- pffft! In fact, working on holidays insures a lot better commute. ;)

Just seems to me we have a pretty good list of holidays as it is, and I still prefer if private companies made their own call.

I can and do respect the ability to allow companies to choose their holidays especially when your self employed. I just feel that major holidays like Thanks giving, it sucks that retail opens up and pulls people away as well as has people work those days. Everyone needs some down time. The easiest way to insure down time is to have everyone take the same holidays off for the most part and like all rules, there is always a need for addressing the little businesses. So for self employed and small businesses under 100 people, I would say this is not needed.

Yet I do agree with the easier commute on the holidays when you do need to drive. :P