Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

Very cool Barn Find, but is the rust bucket really worth $180,000?

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/FL0116-229950/0/1969-Dodge-Daytona/Automatic/

Then again better than the overturned 18 wheeler in Mississippi that dumped 100 cows on the freeway running loose.

http://www.wapt.com/news/central-mississippi/jackson/100-cows-on-i55-after-18wheeler-overturns/36910780

To buy a house or not to buy a house... uugghhh

Every time you make your mortgage payment, it's like part of that payment is going into a long term savings bond. Every time you make a rental payment, it's like flushing money down the toilet.

Just make sure you can handle the payments.

Every time you make your mortgage payment, it's like part of that payment is going into a long term savings bond. Every time you make a rental payment, it's like flushing money down the toilet.

The payments would actually be lower than my rent for the place I'm looking at. I'm tired of living in an apartment. I want my own free standing house with a damn garage.

Buy a House, real estate is the only long term wealth one can count on.

Good point.

Yes...what Drew said...

And since Im into a Stars Wars kick lately...I leave you with this...

My advice, given to you by Senator Palpatine

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

I like hot sauce, but not when it is nothing but heat.  It needs actual flavor to go with the fire.

This. I say the same damn thing about Buffalo sauce. If it doesn't taste good, than all you're doing is torturing yourself. 

I like hot sauce, but not when it is nothing but heat.  It needs actual flavor to go with the fire.

This. I say the same damn thing about Buffalo sauce. If it doesn't taste good, than all you're doing is torturing yourself.

I'll third that!

That's one reason I don't like the all famous siracha hot sauce. To me, it doesn't have any flavor, just heat. I think that's why I usually lean more towards a buffalo sauce.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Spill the story!

Try to find a house for sale in Franklinton, NC and see if it's the one I'm looking at. Remember, I'm a single, young, first-time buyer, so keep it reasonable.

OK, First time buyer, some benefits you need to take advantage of.

First off, EVERYONE can be a first time buyer in each state, so you only have to have a 3.5% down payment minimum, more you put down, lower your mortgage payment.

Second, If you do not mind fixing up, look at foreclosure and Short sale. Some great bargains. 

Third, Take advantage of the Federal Gov 203K Loan program. This is a program aimed at Distressed properties, those in short sale, foreclosure, etc. The benefit is as follows:  Say the house is in Foreclosure, original value at current building code would be $200,000, Foreclosure bank price is $100,000. The 203K loan program allows you to take out a mortgage up to 80% of the current year value. That is $160,000, so you could borrow $160,000, $100,000 to pay the bank, $60,000 to use to remodel the place to your standard. You do have to bring the house up to current year code, so some of the money would need to go towards double pane windows, new roof, insulated doors. etc. You can either do the work yourself or hire someone.

The benefit is a worn down house gets a new life and updated to be like new at a fraction of the cost.

Check out all the details here.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/sfh/203k

Best of luck to you.

I'll third that!

That's one reason I don't like the all famous siracha hot sauce. To me, it doesn't have any flavor, just heat. I think that's why I usually lean more towards a buffalo sauce.

CCAP OMG I did not mean to downvote you!  Can someone please erase that, or at least cancel it out?  As far as sriracha, I agree totally, that is why I use it only as an additive to other sauces, not by itself.

You do have to bring the house up to current year code...

That a requirement of the Fed program (I didn't read the link)? If so, that's very unusual in my experience.

With the 203K program, they actually assign an inspector and he builds the list of required upgrades that must be done once the house is inspected. Most are on the frugal side, but the point is having the condo, town house, house inline with local value and building code.

I have used the 203K program multiple times. Great way to get into a bigger place or even down size as my wife and I are looking to do since the kids are grown and out. Looking for a rambler. Our daughter wants to buy our current house from us as she starts her family.

Great program for anyone that wants to build value on a home by restoring a worn down property.

I'll third that!

CCAP OMG I did not mean to downvote you!  Can someone please erase that, or at least cancel it out?  As far as sriracha, I agree totally, that is why I use it only as an additive to other sauces, not by itself.

Haha thanks guys but no worries, it's just a "vote". I still would have slept just fine tonight had it been a down vote. Lol. ...unlike a few here... ;)

Anyone having issues with Windows 10?  Periodically my sound goes mute without any input from me, plus my Windows button at the bottom left corner of the screen for startup/shutdown/restart is inoperative.  If I shut down the computer a different way, then it is screwed up when I restart.

I haven't had those issues, but persistent issues I've had w/ Win 10 include the volume icon and wifi icon dissapearing from the dockbar...Windows 10 did a huge update yesterday for me, w restarts it took about 45 min to install.

I haven't had those issues, but persistent issues I've had w/ Win 10 include the volume icon and wifi icon dissapearing from the dockbar...Windows 10 did a huge update yesterday for me, w restarts it took about 45 min to install.

I get those and Im still on Windows 8...

Im thinking about upgrading to windows 10...hell its free...but I keep on reading people still having issues with Windows 10...I think Ill wait just a tad longer me thinks...

Oddly, I never had those issues w/ 8....I upgraded to 10 from 8 on my current Toshiba laptop. Overall, I much prefer 10..it's way more stable (I used to have to take the battery out periodically to get Windows 8 to boot).    The start menu is sort of back and much easier to use in normal mode (without the Metro tiles).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Turnt on puter this a.m. and it went through about 4 rounds of updates, now it is back to normal.  Every time it needs to run updates since I installed #10, it goes all crippled instead of just telling me or doing it on the next start-up.  Silly.

Turnt on puter this a.m. and it went through about 4 rounds of updates, now it is back to normal.  Every time it needs to run updates since I installed #10, it goes all crippled instead of just telling me or doing it on the next start-up.  Silly.

Windows 10 is awesome, but it does like being left on and the default 3am update will happen and never bother you then. Just left the mother ship update itself.

Course for security and reliability, MSFT is pushing out Windows 10 Pro to everyone that has windows 10 so you will get a much longer download and reboot. Yet in the future, reboots should be minimal if not non-existent and durability will get better.

Two to three days out of every twelve is how I use 'em. I know guys who slam several per day. THAT ain't good.

True dat. A few years ago on a death march project, the lead developer was downing at least 4-5 Monster drinks every morning and working 90-100 hrs a week...one day about 7 weeks in, he started bleeding from his nose and mouth in a meeting then passed out...ended getting carried out of the conference room on a stretcher by an ambulance team...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I actually have a close friend who would work 5 12hr days weekly and would slam monsters all day(and his other eating habits were junk as well) and he actually had a stroke a few weeks ago. He was 21. He got stupid lucky. Small, small, small stroke but still a stroke at 21 years old. It also didn't help that he's an avid nicotine user, smokes a little, vapes a lot, chews some. Not a crazy amount of any of them but between all of them it's damn-near constant.

• Agree 1

I actually have a close friend who would work 5 12hr days weekly and would slam monsters all day(and his other eating habits were junk as well) and he actually had a stroke a few weeks ago. He was 21. He got stupid lucky. Small, small, small stroke but still a stroke at 21 years old. It also didn't help that he's an avid nicotine user, smokes a little, vapes a lot, chews some. Not a crazy amount of any of them but between all of them it's damn-near constant.

At the time of that incident (4 years ago), this guy was 40...he had a small stroke and got shingles from the experience.  I ran into him about a month ago (I'm on a gig w/ a different client in the same office tower), he's still with the same company, got a 'battlefield promotion' from that incident and no longer does death march projects.  He's lost a lot of weight, after his second in-cube heart attack in a two-year period.

When I worked a major bank, in a 6 month period 3 guys in my department of 25 people had heart attacks...1 fatal (was 32), and two recovered and got 'battlefield promotions'.  I quit shortly after that, got tired of 65-76 hr weeks and driving nearly 60 miles a day round trip.     Corporate life can really take it's toll.  I'm taking daily 500mg of a prescription anti-depressant so I can sleep...

Guess Steel does not like BMW either.

post-12-0-88720200-1450193054_thumb.jpg

Yesterday an unsecured beam on a delivery truck bounced off and slammed through this BMW CUV scrapping the 60 year old mans arm.

Amazing.

Two to three days out of every twelve is how I use 'em. I know guys who slam several per day. THAT ain't good.

True dat. A few years ago on a death march project, the lead developer was downing at least 4-5 Monster drinks every morning and working 90-100 hrs a week...one day about 7 weeks in, he started bleeding from his nose and mouth in a meeting then passed out...ended getting carried out of the conference room on a stretcher by an ambulance team...

Monsters are my drink of choice. Red Bull gives you wings... and buggy eyes. The B Vitamins in Monster kinda smooth out the rush the other crap gives you.

At the time of that incident (4 years ago), this guy was 40...he had a small stroke and got shingles from the experience.  I ran into him about a month ago (I'm on a gig w/ a different client in the same office tower), he's still with the same company, got a 'battlefield promotion' from that incident and no longer does death march projects.  He's lost a lot of weight, after his second in-cube heart attack in a two-year period.

When I worked a major bank, in a 6 month period 3 guys in my department of 25 people had heart attacks...1 fatal (was 32), and two recovered and got 'battlefield promotions'.  I quit shortly after that, got tired of 65-76 hr weeks and driving nearly 60 miles a day round trip.     Corporate life can really take it's toll.  I'm taking daily 500mg of a prescription anti-depressant so I can sleep...

Holy $h!, man. I've never been that stressed nor worked those hours in my corporate life.. It's still young though. 

Holy $h!, man. I've never been that stressed nor worked those hours in my corporate life.. It's still young though. 

The long hours are one of the reasons I've never aspired to go into management, and prefer contracting to FTE work..my current long term contract is pretty low stress, 40 hours week typically 4 9s and 4 hrs on Friday (40hr week), great rate and benes..

Love my UFC  endorsed Xyience Energy Drinks.

http://www.xyience.com/

They are awesome with out all the crap you find in Monster.

Personally I hate contract, like working for a company and have no problem working 50-55hrs a week.

Personally, I just hate overtime..if projects can't be done in a normal schedule, then they are being managed poorly.  I avoid energy drinks...3-4 cups of coffee in the morning and water the rest of the work day.