Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

Ever try to find someone you once knew and it seems as if they've completely vanished?

yup...

You wanna get freaked out?

There was a fellow Greek kid that came to my high school when we were both in Grade 10.  His high school closed down. We became good friends for the next 2 years when we both graduated high school and then we both went our different ways...This was in 1990. 

No news from him since then.

I met my future wife in December 2001. Her dad had died in 1998...

When April 2002 arrived, we went to cemetery to see where her dad was buried, because that was the same cemetery where my grand parents were buried,  we did a meeting of our dead relatives...

I was looking around at my future father-n-law's neighbors when I saw  not too far away down from my future father-n-law, my friend that I havent seen since 1990. He had died in 1994.

It's Friday

Time to finish up work and break out the wine and chocolate! :P

before or after your work out?

LOL always Wine Down Friday at the end of the day, but then if the day is light, you know it is 5pm somewhere and if you worked the grave yard shift then this is 5pm and time to enjoy. :P

It's Friday

Time to finish up work and break out the wine and chocolate! :P

before or after your work out?

LOL always Wine Down Friday at the end of the day, but then if the day is light, you know it is 5pm somewhere and if you worked the grave yard shift then this is 5pm and time to enjoy. :P

Well....who am I argue?

Relax and Enjoy!

PS: Dont forget the strawberries!

WildWineWoman-Loxton-Strawberries-Chocol

for a nice evening with the Missus.

Screen-Shot-2012-09-02-at-12.32.05-PM-30

• Agree 1

Ever try to find someone you once knew and it seems as if they've completely vanished?

yup...

You wanna get freaked out?

There was a fellow Greek kid that came to my high school when we were both in Grade 10.  His high school closed down. We became good friends for the next 2 years when we both graduated high school and then we both went our different ways...This was in 1990. 

No news from him since then.

I met my future wife in December 2001. Her dad had died in 1998...

When April 2002 arrived, we went to cemetery to see where her dad was buried, because that was the same cemetery where my grand parents were buried,  we did a meeting of our dead relatives...

I was looking around at my future father-n-law's neighbors when I saw  not too far away down from my future father-n-law, my friend that I havent seen since 1990. He had died in 1994.

That's gotta be a shock to the system. Very unfortunate way to discover a lost friend.

I am COMPLETELY going through the suspension on the Volvo.

Have: 

Front struts (Bilstein)

Springs (Eibach)

On the way:

Rear shocks (OEM)

Front brake pads (Hawk HPS)

Front Strut Tower Brace (OEM)

Currently being custom-fabricated:
Steering Rack Bushings

Still need to buy:
Front LCA's (Delphi)

Front Strut bearings (Moog)

Rear adjustable camber arm (generic)

Front slotted rotors (Stop Tech)

Rear rotors (generic)

Rear pads (generic)

Front Sway Bar Bushings (Powerflex)

Rear Adjustable Sway bar (CorkSport)

Sway bar end-links front and rear (Generic)

Front Axle Shafts 

That's gotta be a shock to the system. Very unfortunate way to discover a lost friend.

Yup.

I cried. 

For him.

But not at that moment. When I went home later that day and took my yearbook out to look at his graduating pic.

And sooooo many questions and no answers to this day.

In fact. A little tear is coming out of my eyes as I type this.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

Drove 350 miles on Saturday to see the fall colors and it was beautiful including the E63 AMG that was totaled. Hopefully no one was hurt but the smug idiot that was constantly passing everyone on the mountain road, Blewett Pass ended up clipping the rear end of a minivan and biting it. Hate to see people hurt but it is even more irritating to see idiots like this one drive so recklessly. Karma gets you in the end.

• Agree 1

I've never understood why when you pass somebody because they are going below the speed limit they then speed up not only AS you're passing them but then they speed up to where you would'nt have had to pass them.

It happened this morning(if you didn't assume already). I was behind some a-hole(probably not really.. but they frustrated me so now they are an a-hole to me) who was first going 45 in a 50..wasn't bad because of where we were at. I was okay with that. Then we left town and because I'm an avid cruise control user I set my cruise at 52 then 53, then 54 thinking we would go the speed limit. I was behind the damn Chrysler 200(previous gen pos, imo) for about a mile slowly gaining on them at 54mph(in a 55) so I say screw it, I'll just pass them so I can at least go the speed limit. They then accelerate slowly as I pass them and I get back over and I slowed back down to 58 and they were behind me the whole time! If they would have at least gone the damn speed limit I would have been fine, I wasn't in a rush. But they weren't!

THAT grinds my gears.

• Agree 1

I've never understood why when you pass somebody because they are going below the speed limit they then speed up not only AS you're passing them but then they speed up to where you would'nt have had to pass them.

It happened this morning(if you didn't assume already). I was behind some a-hole(probably not really.. but they frustrated me so now they are an a-hole to me) who was first going 45 in a 50..wasn't bad because of where we were at. I was okay with that. Then we left town and because I'm an avid cruise control user I set my cruise at 52 then 53, then 54 thinking we would go the speed limit. I was behind the damn Chrysler 200(previous gen pos, imo) for about a mile slowly gaining on them at 54mph(in a 55) so I say screw it, I'll just pass them so I can at least go the speed limit. They then accelerate slowly as I pass them and I get back over and I slowed back down to 58 and they were behind me the whole time! If they would have at least gone the damn speed limit I would have been fine, I wasn't in a rush. But they weren't!

THAT grinds my gears.

Happens to me all the time.

Ive gotten many speeding tickets this way in which I just mash the peddle to get away from them as Im soooo bloody disgusted and mad and I dont want to be road ragin' because If I keep seeing them whether in front of me, beside me or in my rear view mirror, Id be ragin' and low and behold, a speed trap further down the highway...and if they would just be in the correct bloody lane to begin with...Id also be in the correct lane, yes left lane for me and right lane for them, Id be going the bloody speed limit to begin with therefore NO SPEEDING TICKET!!!!

IM GLAD THAT IN CERTAIN STATES and in ONTARIO, they actually give tickets to people that are in the left lane but NOT going the maximum speed limit or passing anybody...but not in Quebec though....Quebec likes to be backwards!

THAT grinds my gears.

Ive gotten many speeding tickets this way in which I just mash the peddle to get away from them as Im soooo bloody disgusted and mad and I dont want to be road ragin' because If I keep seeing them whether in front of me, beside me or in my rear view mirror, Id be ragin' and low and behold, a speed trap further down the highway...and if they would just be in the correct bloody lane to begin with...Id also be in the correct lane, yes left lane for me and right lane for them, Id be going the bloody speed limit to begin with therefore NO SPEEDING TICKET!!!!

IM GLAD THAT IN CERTAIN STATES and in ONTARIO, they actually give tickets to people that are in the left lane but NOT going the maximum speed limit or passing anybody...but not in Quebec though....Quebec likes to be backwards!

Washington state just passed a law that says you cannot be in the left lane if you are going more than 10mph below the posted speed limit. I am hoping this gets many scared drivers out of the left lane where they do not belong.

THAT grinds my gears.

Washington state just passed a law that says you cannot be in the left lane if you are going more than 10mph below the posted speed limit. I am hoping this gets many scared drivers out of the left lane where they do not belong.

That is great.

There is a probem in Quebec though.

We have a minimum and a maximum.

60 KM/H minimum and 100 KM/H maximum. Therefore technically, rolling 60 KM/H in the left lane is permitted. Some politicians want to do away with that minimum and maximum stuff though. And they are trying to make some sort of logical speed to be in the left lane....they are calling it the passing lane...but no speed requirement is acknowledged, only that you must pass vehicles on the left.

And where the speed limit maximum is 70 KM/H, the roads are usually small and tight so going more than that you are really endangering yourself.

Edited by oldshurst442

THAT grinds my gears.

That is great.

There is a probem in Quebec though.

We have a minimum and a maximum.

60 KM/H minimum and 100 KM/H maximum. Therefore technically, rolling 60 KM/H in the left lane is permitted. Some politicians want to do away with that minimum and maximum stuff though. And they are trying to make some sort of logical speed to be in the left lane....they are calling it the passing lane...but no speed requirement is acknowledged, only that you must pass vehicles on the left.

And where the speed limit maximum is 70 KM/H, the roads are usually small and tight so going more than that you are really endangering yourself.

Isn't that $h! just so stupid frustrating?!?!

I'm glad it isn't just me that notices it, but I'm not glad that you've gotten ticketed for trying to avoid it..that's some crap luck right there. Sorry brother..

Illinois has a law where you're ONLY supposed to be in the left lane while passing and I think for a maximum of like a half mile but it isn't enforced. That is also only on interstates..my morning situation was simple 2 lane road with traffic going in both directions. I really like that idea of a minimum in each lane but I think that could get sketchy to enforce. The tools to measure speed better be damn accurate(to pinpoint which lane the driver is in) otherwise lawyers would have a hay-day with that.

• Agree 1

Canada is officially Liberal.

Daddy and now Son...

Monsieur Trudeau is our next Prime Minister.

Daddy. When he was Prime Minister.

879387-L.jpg

And now son...with daddy's M-B. Inherited.

trudeau.jpeg

YUP...it was his ride with his lovely bride when he got married.

RIP, Canada is truly Screwed! What stupidity causes people to allow a class system to come back into existence.

• Agree 1

Canada is officially Liberal.

Daddy and now Son...

Monsieur Trudeau is our next Prime Minister.

Daddy. When he was Prime Minister.

879387-L.jpg

And now son...with daddy's M-B. Inherited.

trudeau.jpeg

YUP...it was his ride with his lovely bride when he got married.

RIP, Canada is truly Screwed! What stupidity causes people to allow a class system to come back into existence.

Nice car though!

EL K will get this joke.

Edited by oldshurst442

We all have the joke now. For four years at least.

The SL is nice. It, like the office he now occupies, is an inheritance.

Yup Inheritance that should never have happened. What a waste of a nice SL on him. We'll the US and Canada have been screwed for more and less. Till term limits are in place and the gov's start to focus on the people and stop wasting time on trying to push agendas across the pond we will always be screwed.

C'mon- that is NOT done by train wheelspin. RR rail is incredibly hard steel and I don't believe Jegs sells line locks that work on locomotives.

Trains can and do stall if they're overloaded heading up a grade.  The metal shavings make me think it could be wheel spin, but I have also seen similar things happening due to overloaded/overheating/failing traction motors that heat up the rail to the point where is melts.

I did an image search and found this caption that went with the picture:

The photo shows what happens when a train with multiple engines has the brakes applied, but one engine does not get a signal to shut down.

C'mon- that is NOT done by train wheelspin. RR rail is incredibly hard steel and I don't believe Jegs sells line locks that work on locomotives.

Trains can and do stall if they're overloaded heading up a grade.  The metal shavings make me think it could be wheel spin, but I have also seen similar things happening due to overloaded/overheating/failing traction motors that heat up the rail to the point where is melts.

The photo shows what happens when a train with multiple engines has the brakes applied, but one engine does not get a signal to shut down.

Thanks for finding more info on that. I completely forgot after balthazar said that to look into it later.

Whatever it was it must have been an intense situation. Even if it was "just" wheelspin.. if a train can't get up a hill I have ot believe that gets pretty scary.

I'm stupidly drawn to this project...

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5273002093.html

Truly a parts car unless you have the money to invest in restoring it, but wow talk about the work. I just enjoy the old pic and pass. Good luck with doing that. :)

OK, I can understand it if one engine is locked in place by multiple others with their brakes on. Operational malfunction. I don't think it'd be likely if a functional single engine had too much weight for a grade it'd sit there & spin divots into the rail- that scenario has to be largely impossible. Interesting occurrence, that's for sure. 

We all have the joke now. For four years at least.

The SL is nice. It, like the office he now occupies, is an inheritance.

Well, we've had family dynasties in the states, when George Bush's ignorant son became President...

Leaving work this afternoon, I go to the parking garage elevator...the down button has been acting funny lately...today there was a sign taped over the button with the handwritten note 'BOTTON NO WORKS'.   Made my day...

So the coworker I'd been walking out with and I walked back into the building and went over to the opposite side of the building, to the other elevator..when the down button worked, I exclaimed 'BOTTON WORK!'.   :)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

Traveling down the road at the speed limit... when someone pulls out, does ten under the limit... then turns off an 8th mile down the road... without ever using a turn signal.

This $h! happens to me DAILY. On my way to work I pass a middle school and high school. Well there is a road that intersects the road I'm driving on which is about a half mile till the schools. VERY rarely do they actually get up to speed and 90% of the cars that pull out turn into the schools. I've passed cars there by just maintaining 55mph on a handful of occasions.

• Agree 1