New to C&Gs

ccap41

Hey guys/gals,

I'm new to the cheers and gears thing but I've been around a few forums. Until recently I was only on vehicle specific sites(STLMustangs, MBWorld, and FordEscape.org). If you didn't already assume I've owned a mustang(2 actually. 2004 GT and 2003 Mach1), a 2006 MB c350, and currently own a 2013 Escape 2.0 AWD. In there somewhere I owned a 2003 Focus SVT but I was never part of a forum. My first car was a 1995 Chevy Beretta Z26..ans it's still in the fmaily as my brother drives it now. I'm also a member of bobistheoilguy forum and MotorTrend. I was actually invited over here from one of te MT guys. I looked around a bit and figured i'd give it a shot. The MT forum is so jacked it's hard to just have good ole car guy talk without it turning into fanboy vs fanboy.

The reason I joined MT(and now here) in the first place because I got a new job back in July and I used to work in a shop, worked with guys, and talked about cars and stuff all day. Now I can't do that as I have an ofice job.. so you're all my car guys now!

As I said in PM, I am glad that U decided to take me up on the invite. U SuperDuper, Olds, CP the Nerd will like it here as the discussions are pretty great, informative, and respectful.. even when U are posting against me.. LOL. The Troll factor is low, with a few U will definetly find, but Drew and his group keep it pretty pleasant in here. 

Hey ccap. I just jumped over here from MT last night. Let the mass exudus begin! Or something. This place's forum makes the MT software look fresh out of the 90s. I really like it so far.

We have a huge software upgrade coming as well.  I was initially hoping for it to be ready for end of this month, but the software company is still swashing bugs.   This version seems to work pretty well for now, so it isn't a rush, but I have to say I'm excited by what the new software is capable of. 

Hey ccap. I just jumped over here from MT last night. Let the mass exudus begin! Or something. This place's forum makes the MT software look fresh out of the 90s. I really like it so far.

Hey man! Yeah it's just difficult to find where to even read or post there are so many threads/lounges/however that is suppoed to be worded lol

We have a huge software upgrade coming as well.  I was initially hoping for it to be ready for end of this month, but the software company is still swashing bugs.   This version seems to work pretty well for now, so it isn't a rush, but I have to say I'm excited by what the new software is capable of. 

Nice! heck, from what us MT guys are used to you don't need to change a single thing.. lol If you want to see bad try out MT for a few minutes, that is all you'll need.

Do you know what kind of changes there will be?

Hey man! Yeah it's just difficult to find where to even read or post there are so many threads/lounges/however that is suppoed to be worded lol

Nice! heck, from what us MT guys are used to you don't need to change a single thing.. lol If you want to see bad try out MT for a few minutes, that is all you'll need.

Do you know what kind of changes there will be?

Functionally, the software will work the same way it does today.  It will be a bit faster than it is currently, but effectively, the forums will largely remain the same.   Once it is installed however, I will be able to add other features to the site that we currently don't have. 

One of the nice new features that will be in the forums though is the @Mentions.  You know how you can type @Username on facebook and it will notify that user that you mentioned them?  We'll have that feature here too. 

As far as the number of threads.  The Lounge is our general forum... post whatever you like in there as long as it is work safe.  Our catalog of forums is pretty extensive I know, but we have almost 14 years of threads here... we had to wrangle the chaos into categories.   I'm pretty light on the moderating, so if you put something in the wrong place, someone will move it where it belongs without any fuss. 

The best way to see what the latest posts are is the View New Content button at the top of each page.  With VNC, it will give you the latest content in the app you are currently in... so if you are looking at articles, it will give you a list of those, if you're in the gallery it will show you the latest picture uploads, same for garage... etc. 

If you have trouble, I'm never far away and there are plenty of people who have been around here for over a decade who can also help out. 

Yeah, organizationally it's a lot different than MT, but it also curbs the trolling, which was becoming such a pain in the ass over there. This forum is a lot more flexible and personal with the different features. The garage is cool, you gotta update yours!

Im going to try but I don't have a computer at home..well one that is mine and I use regularly(pathetic right? Who doesn't have their own computer these days?!? Lol). And my work computer doesn't allow much "social media-like things". I'm actually fortunate I can get on this forum because there are a lot that they won't even allow access to the pages.

I'm weirdly super excited about this new forum. I think mostly because I don't have to "meet" everybody. There is a good group of guys I already know. That's always kindof awkward on new sites because some people are "post counters" or whatever and you don't get real cred unless you've been around a long time.

Im going to try but I don't have a computer at home..well one that is mine and I use regularly(pathetic right? Who doesn't have their own computer these days?!? Lol). And my work computer doesn't allow much "social media-like things". I'm actually fortunate I can get on this forum because there are a lot that they won't even allow access to the pages.

I'm weirdly super excited about this new forum. I think mostly because I don't have to "meet" everybody. There is a good group of guys I already know. That's always kindof awkward on new sites because some people are "post counters" or whatever and you don't get real cred unless you've been around a long time.

I get you! That's why we've gotta bring over some more people, get some familiar content going (minus the bickering). It's like a fresh start among friends.