Calling all Cobalts

ocnblu

As some of you know, my mom has a 2005 Cobalt base sedan. She's had a few issues, and I want to see if anyone reading this has had similar experiences.

Cloth coming out from under the pull cup in the door trim panels.

Radio going into "lock" mode for no apparent reason. Resets itself with an ignition cycle.

Ignition lock cylinder refusing to lock, preventing the key from being removed.

Cloth coming out from under the pull cup in the door trim panels.

There's a TSB on that. I believe it's #05-08-64-036B. Basically the fix is wider trim cups to cover the material better. I have the same problem on the passenger's side. Next week when I bring it in for the earl change I'll let them know about it.

Radio going into "lock" mode for no apparent reason.  Resets itself with an ignition cycle.

I don't think I've had that one, though I probably have a different radio than your mom.

If your mom has the auto, this sounds like an issue with the park/neutral safety switch. You can't remove the key unless the car is in park or neutral. Next time that happens, try moving the gear selector down, then jamming it into park.

Your car is probably still under warranty, so of course all of this should be fixed on them.

Sorry z, I wasn't clear in my description. Her key sometimes will not turn in the cylinder to the "lock" position to remove it. It stays in "accessory". This is with the car in "park", of course. I've noticed (but haven't told her because I'll never hear the end of it) that the lock cylinder looks like it is falling down into the column shroud. It is not fully in the hole through the shrouding, it is low.

Yes, she knows all about the TSB for the door trims. Before that fix was in, she had several sets of old-design trim panels put in, before our shop stopped ordering them for her because of the pending fix. Since the wider cups have been installed, I haven't heard this complaint from her. Time will tell.

The radio situation has only happened twice as far as I know. I was with her once when it happened.

Edited by ocnblu

It's more or less the typical first model year crap. From what I understand the '06s are much better.

I've had the radio problem. There is no fix.

Several people have the key problem. Has not happened to me yet.

There is a rattle from the glovebox. I don't know if there is a TSB.

But my biggest complaint so far, like many Cobalt drivers have, is the front suspension problem. There is more and more clunking noise. It's noticeable when you drive at slow speed over a bump. Did not do that when the car was new. Now I have 6K miles. Had the same problem with the crappy Cavalier.

Looks like GM has not learned its lesson.

• 2 weeks later...
She's taking the car into the shop on Wednesday. That switch is "clicking" in the console. I dragged her to some car lots today. She wasn't really impressed with the Fit, but really likes the Yaris sedan.

That'll do it. Normally, you'll hear the switch (probably a relay) click when you press the button on the shifter to switch gears. If it's clicking randomly, that could be your key-lock problem.

I got my "beauty rings" for the pull cups the other day. The dealer was very courteous and already knew of the TSB before I told them. It's nice to not see pulled up leather on the door panel anymore.

I found the fix on cobaltss.net. The problem and solution can be found here. Though, the problem applies to Cobalts with cloth interiors as well. Check your passenger's side door, you should see the material pulling out from around the trim panel where you put your hand to pull the door shut (the "pull cup"). The driver's side "cup" is wider because it has to house more buttons than the one on the passenger's side, so it is less likely to have this problem. Not sure why they didn't just back both the same width, but the beauty rings do seem to be working.

What they said. I have had one complaint on the radio problem, too. A customer bought a 2005 Cobalt in October and contacted me twice about the radio cutting out for no apparent reason.

He brought it in for service. I am not sure what they did, but it hasn't done it since.

Everyone who has the radio problem, check this out.

Many dealers are aware of the problem and in many cases are replacing the base radio with the mid-level radio, which doesn't have these problems. Not sure if your local dealer will oblige, but hey it's worth a shot. You'll appreciate the much nicer display.

A friend of our has a 2002 (or is it 2001) Ford Focus seadn and this problem

keps comming back no matter how many times she has the lock cylinder &

accessories replaced. She's getting really pissed wiht the car. It only has

like 50,000 miles

In ocnblu's case I'd say it could be one of two things:

a defective switch/relay that hooks up to the button on the auto shifter

a defective button/shifter.

I played with my car a little bit this morning, and even if the car is in park, if that button is pressed, which engages the switch, the key won't turn all the way to off and come out.

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem I've had with the radio is sometimes I'll get a CD error, and it'll refuse to play, display the time, radio station, and refuse to eject the CD. The CD will however eject after turning the car off, waiting a few seconds for the lights to go out, and turning it back on (the CD will automatically eject) however, this only happens with a certain two of my CD's so I think this is the discs' fault. I haven't had any problems mentioned here except that suspension thing. It's more of a slapping sound, and only people on the passenger side hear it.

Edited by Turbojett

Gotta love Lordstown build quality...

Too bad, Cobalts are otherwise good vehicles.

Cloth in the door trim is pre-assembled at a supplier,

radio glitches blame mexico, Ignition switch goes into

the column at a supplier .... Lordstown is a good plant

with people that really care. Been there seen them

Cloth in the door trim is pre-assembled at a supplier,

radio glitches blame mexico, Ignition switch goes into

the column at a supplier .... Lordstown is a good plant

with people that really care.  Been there seen them

Then GM Supplier Quality better get off their a&*.

Still better than sludge in the motor and two non-existant gears.