Nissan GTR: A True Supercar?

J Reinhardt

I was watching a best motoring episode and the Drift King (Keichi Tsuchiya) mentioned that the Nissan GTR is not a true Supercar due to the fact that it's too heavy.

He does have a point. The GTR weights 3800 lbs and is heavier than all the other cars in its category. Also, it has back seats which some people would classify as more of a high performance sports coupe.

I highly respect the GTR's capabilities but feel there's a certain untangible that is missing. Maybe it's driving feel, or how you can't feel the passion when driving it hard like you do with a Ferrari 458.

What do you guys/girls think?

I believe it's a supercar as well. To me, it earns that definition if it's performance statistics are on par, or exceeds it's competition. I don't believe that a supercar has to follow a set of guidelines such as how many doors it has, how heavy it is, what type of engine powers it, or how much it costs. It's really a different method of achieving the same goal.

Drift King needs to wake up to the 21st century. Today's supercars were yesterdays sedans. Technology change is making things happen where people can have a super car as a family sedan more and more now.

Define a supercar.

For me, there is no set definition. If the car get from 0-60 in under 4 seconds, has a top speed of 190mph+ or runs the Nurburgering in under 8 minutes then to me it's a supercar.

For example, some people wouldn't consider the BMW M5 to be a supercar but I do.

By that definition a Ferrari F12 wouldn't be a supercar since it 4K pounds. I think a sports car/sedan that ca hit 60 in under 4 seconds is a supercar.

Its not just about straight line performance. You could stick a massive engine in an AMC Pacer, that wouldn't make it a supercar, it would just be a colossal waste of money.

It needs to be fast both in a straight line and around the track, but it should also be special in some way. The GTR qualifies for that in the in not just low production numbers, but also the way its made, and its incredible performance.

So then my 94 Suburban with the suspension replaced with a 2.5 ton Kodiak Suspension so it rides like it is on rails, 4.25 16 Bolt Posi rear end and customer build Engine and Transmission with Jet Programable Chip qualifies for Supercar! :P

I have to say it is a blast to take our Clover Leaf off and on ramps at over 80, no body roll, just sticks to the ground and flies :D