SEPTEMBER 2013 CAR SPOTTERS ARE HERE!

ocnblu

my buddy bought a roller '69 Camaro race car, FG nose, roll cage, '57 BOP front-loader rear with 5.13 gears, real decent body except a ragged trunk pan. Gonna clean it up & flip it as is.

Also looked at a '65 GTO hardtop today, 4bbl/auto, but it was a bondo buggy and we passed. Looked very good at 10-ft tho.

Whilst slogging along in traffic tonight I saw a black BRZ and a dark gray FRS a couple cars apart on the freeway...uncommon sightings, but what made it interesting is both drivers were....women. Nice to see women driving sportscars instead of the stereotypical generic CUV or FWD appliance-grade sedan..

Two cars - both this past Sunday.

First was an Aston Martin DB9 Volante. Second was a Ferrari F430. My 6 year old son was pretty thrilled with both sightings.

I have to say the Aston Martin sounded damn good. I'm ashamed to admit that on first glance of the rear I thought it was a Jaguar but when I heard it pull away from the light, I knew it wasn't a Jag. lol I think that is the first one I've seen in the wild around here.

2013 Volkswagen Passat SE - my dad's new car (traded-in his 2006 Pontiac G6 V6 sedan)

2013 Ford Escape SEL 2.0L - our neighbor/friends new car, replaced her 2005 Ford Freestyle

Both went shopping Labor Day to take advantage of end of summer/year savings. I knew my parents were looking, they've been all over the place (in terms of dealers and vehicles) since late spring, but I didn't realize they were this motivated. My mom wants a new Cadillac CTS, but doesn't want to bite that much in cost (she said she'll keep her '05 Saturn Vue AWD a while longer). I was surprised to see my dad end up with a Volkswagen Passat (didn't know he liked them) - my other neighbor has a '13 Passat SEL TD that he's apparently been admiring recently. Not my cup o' tea but it's his money (my future inheritence, I know! :lol: ). I wish I knew how serious he was because I would have taken him to my Buick-GMC dealer and showed him the Regal. Oh well, too late now.

Went to an inner-city residential neighborhood- the guy had 2 '81 Z-28s, an '80 Trans Am, '80 Corvette, '70 Chevelle SS, '69 Camaro, FOUR circa '69-70 Nova coupes and a '55 Chevy 150 2-dr sedan... all in his backyard. The entire backyard surface was concrete, and the cars were parked door handle to door handle. I haven't seen that many circa '70 Novas together in a long while.

Went to an inner-city residential neighborhood- the guy had 2 '81 Z-28s, an '80 Trans Am, '80 Corvette, '70 Chevelle SS, '69 Camaro, FOUR circa '69-70 Nova coupes and a '55 Chevy 150 2-dr sedan... all in his backyard. The entire backyard surface was concrete, and the cars were parked door handle to door handle. I haven't seen that many circa '70 Novas together in a long while.

What inner-city area is that big to hold all of the cars in one backyard? And not be messed with (vandalized) or robbed for parts/scrap? :lol:

Shiny black "Impala SS" wagon with dark windows and chrome 20s. Spunky green late model Studebaker sedan, nice shape. 1968 Falcon coupe came in for an estimate today, somebody tapped him in the butt. A daily driver, young kid, I opened the door to get a picture of the mileage and I saw the parking lot... hole in floorboard.

What inner-city area is that big to hold all of the cars in one backyard? And not be messed with (vandalized) or robbed for parts/scrap? :lol:

Newark. Neighborhood didn't seem that bad.

1971-73 Mustang convert, med brown roof over dark green body, great shape but hideous colors, and those FoMoCo pie-pan poverty caps. Parked & for sale.

1964 Buick Wildcat convert, black over white, excellent shape, Road Wheels, rolling.

Craziest one I've seen in a while...at least for me.

Yesterday afternoon, around the corner from our dealership, I saw a strange new silver Cadillac XTS approaching me quickly and then realized it was an all new XTS hearse. Silver, black back roof. Looked HUGE and extended upon extended, but the XTS body lines were incredible. Much more cohesive and modern than even something like a DTS, Town Car, before. Very, very cool. The trunk brake light/lines converted into a back door were very nicely shaped as well.

Fascinating car to see in person, moving fast. Must be a local funeral home that just purchased.

Saw a brand new 500L on the highway, just came from the dealership. Actually not bad looking considering that I hate the ugly little two door. The 4 door 500L actually look good and usable and not like Shrek squished the top of the car or that a light wind would blow it over.

The best looking of the 500 family yet.

Went for a drive with the wife and we stopped in Enumclaw Washington before driving up to Mt. Rainier for Breakfast. Discovered they had a huge old auto show that covered just about everything from the Model A Ford up to the 70's. Covered 6 city blocks and 3 huge parking lots. I ended up spending a couple hrs with the wife walking around and snapping pictures. The wife was really impressed with this pretty Red Cab over and the wood bed that showed a lot of TLC.

Will get images posted this week. Some amazing rides from all over the world.

Saw a wide variety of interesting cars over the weekend in San Diego (see Coronado Speed Festival thread), one interesting one I didn't photograph was a Solstice that someone had customized with Alfa Romeo trim-- reworked nose with Alfa grille, Alfa badging inside and out....tastefully done.

Saw a very sad looking modified Buick Lucerne today--looked like it had been modded by someone with no taste that was blind. Had blingy chrome spoked wheels on wide whitewall tires sticking 3-4 inches out of the wheelwells, and the whole car was painted a nasty flourescent blue that looked like it had been applied w/ a paint brush--over the tailights, grille, trim, etc..

Pre-'92 Cadillac Brougham..... station wagon. Light blue, vinyl roof/roof rack, not bad, but starting to deteriorate.
'72 Dodge Polara 4-dr hardtop, yellow, moldering in a side yard.

'47 GMC coach, diesel-powered. Very rough looking, buddy told me it's been in the same driveway a good 35 years.

On my way to airport this afternoon I got to ride in a Prius taxi...233k miles, some interior trim scuffed, some coming off..rear hatch sqeaked quite a bit..suspension noisy. Lots of room in the back, w/ the passenger front seat all the way forward. Not as hellacool as a Google self-driving Prius taxi would be, though. From SFO to my hotel tonight, I rode in a nice black Town Car..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar