ATS-V Powertrain Predictions

dwightlooi

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which Powertrain will the ATS-V sport (best guess)?

• 6.2 Liter Pushrod V8 (LT1) w/ 8-speed Automatic -- 470 bhp / 450 lb-ft (est)
    • 3.6 Liter DOHC V6 (LF3) w/ 8-speed Automatic -- 420 bhp / 430 lb-ft

In light of the new information that is coming to light let's take a poll on the ATS-V power train configuration. In 1/2 year we may look back and see how close we got it.

It is down to two realistic possibilities:-

I would guess it will be the Turbo 3.6L V6 but I would hope it would be a supercharged version of the new gen 5.3L V8 to better go with the new gen supercharged 6.2L V8 coming for the new CTS V! If I were in charge at Cadillac I would keep all of the V models as a V8 only line of products!

I would guess it will be the Turbo 3.6L V6 but I would hope it would be a supercharged version of the new gen 5.3L V8 to better go with the new gen supercharged 6.2L V8 coming for the new CTS V! If I were in charge at Cadillac I would keep all of the V models as a V8 only line of products!

I doubt that there is a realistic chance of that. The CTS-V may get a supercharged version of the LT1 6.2 liter. But if the ATS-V gets a V8 it'll most likely be the naturally aspirated 6.2 engine from the Corvette. At "at least 450hp and 450 lb-ft" while weighing less than any V6 or DOHC V8 from the competition in the same power class, the engine is right where the ATS-V needs it to be to slot in below the CTS-V -- enough power to battle the M3, RS4 and C63, but not so much that there'll be any confusion between it and the CTS-V. A supercharger coupled to a lower displacement V8 adds additional costs (from the blower to the air-to-water intercooler assembly), very little performance advantage and no fuel economy advantage.

Well there are possibilities not even considered here. Just because we know of these two engines does not mean they are the only ones that will be available at the time we get a ATS and CTS V models.

Might note there is a LT4 coming that we have little detail on other than more power. Also there is a Corvette prototype with two boost gauges on the dash one on each side of the speedo and is a sign of more to come. GM did not let this one leak by accident.

Also we have to consider the 3.6 TT in the CTS is only the standard engine. This could be one of several levels of tune for this engine just as the V8

Too little info here to make a informed intelligent prediction. We have yet to see all that is to come and I would advise to keep tuned in.

I sure hope there is no "XTS-V" and to be honest, I don't think the V series of the next CTS needs to be out any time soon.

Having a lapse means the current ones become worth more and some time away builds up anticipation for the next one.

I really don't think an ATSv is badly needed either....

Edited by regfootball

I sure hope there is no "XTS-V" and to be honest, I don't think the V series of the next CTS needs to be out any time soon.

Having a lapse means the current ones become worth more and some time away builds up anticipation for the next one.

It may not be as bad as you think. Sporty versions of big sedans do not really have to be ultra athletic. They just need to be refined and brawny -- think S63 AMG -- big, heavy, fast, stately, but not exactly an autocross contender.

The XTS can use a V8 (the 6.2 LT1 will fit where the 3.6TT fits). I won't call it a V though, just the top rung XTS model -- XTS 6.2.

It may not be as bad as you think. Sporty versions of big sedans do not really have to be ultra athletic. They just need to be refined and brawny -- think S63 AMG -- big, heavy, fast, stately, but not exactly an autocross contender.

The XTS can use a V8 (the 6.2 LT1 will fit where the 3.6TT fits). I won't call it a V though, just the top rung XTS model -- XTS 6.2.

How would that FWD biased AWD system in the XTS cope with the torque of the 6.2L or even the TT3.6L? Will GM change the axel bias to a RWD one to better handle that power? I still think the XTS was a mistake built as is and should have been built on a luxed up version of the ZETA LWB platform! Then the optional power would not be a problem!

How would that FWD biased AWD system in the XTS cope with the torque of the 6.2L or even the TT3.6L? Will GM change the axel bias to a RWD one to better handle that power? I still think the XTS was a mistake built as is and should have been built on a luxed up version of the ZETA LWB platform! Then the optional power would not be a problem!

The AWD system in the XTS can send plenty of torque to the rear wheels. I have the snow burnout videos to prove it.