Spied! 2014 Chevy Silverado SS Testing

GMTruckGuy74

Link to Source: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/09/spied-2014-chevy-silverado-ss-testing.html

*View pictures at the link above.

Spied! 2014 Chevy Silverado SS Testing

Posted by Mark Williams | September 13, 2012

Here's what we just got from our spy shooters in Detroit. Whether this pans out or not, it will be interesting to find out what's under the hood and what kind of suspension changes will happen, if any.

"We caught what appears to be a Chevy Silverado SS prototype out on a test run in Michigan. This particular Silverado was riding on 275/55R20 Goodyear Eagle LS-2 rubber — identical to the tire size and brand choice found on earlier Silverado SS models. Add to that what appear to be classic Chevy SS five-spoke 20-inch wheels, and this prototype has some important cues that could well point to a more performance-oriented street truck in GM's new-truck pipeline. The identical wheel and tire specs could also signal that GM will follow the same jack-of-all-trades approach as the prior Silverado SS, chasing a wide range of performance and comfort achievements without going as extreme as others' past offerings, like the SVT Lightning or the insane Dodge Ram SRT-10.

"One other curious detail we noticed on this prototype was a red seat belt, visibly securing the guy in the passenger seat. While no smoking gun, it is something of a noteworthy observation that seems consistent with GM's SS branding. Could it point to the performance leanings of this truck, from a trim and finish perspective? We can't say for sure, but it's an odd detail for a standard Silverado model.

"With a recent sighting of a Dodge Ram 1500 R/T, a battle could be brewing between Ram and Chevrolet for more street-focused pickups, leaving the SVT Raptor by itself for a little longer."

I think it's funny in the comment section that people are bitching about the towing mirrors being used on all of the mules. GM Engineers most likely need the taller & longer mirrors to see beyond the added camo - there's no way that these are the standard mirrors - morons!! Some of the camo pics have shown the regular sized mirrors... but most of the mules-in-testing have the current tow mirrors.

Yeah, people are stupid.

Interesting thought, but I hope any new Silverado SS gets a little more thought than the previous one. Many have reported that the Escalade drivetrain used in the previous SS was actually slower than the 5.3 powered trucks.

Stuff the Corvette engine and tranny into it, keep it 2WD, regular cab only, and Ford and Dodge won't be able to catch it.

A wrinkle to think about...aren't higher trim Silverados currently rolling 20s of similar spec?

Yeah, people are stupid.

Interesting thought, but I hope any new Silverado SS gets a little more thought than the previous one. Many have reported that the Escalade drivetrain used in the previous SS was actually slower than the 5.3 powered trucks.

Stuff the Corvette engine and tranny into it, keep it 2WD, regular cab only, and Ford and Dodge won't be able to catch it.

A wrinkle to think about...aren't higher trim Silverados currently rolling 20s of similar spec?

I think any SS Silverado, if Chevy does offer one, should be available in all cab configurations (regular, extended, crew). To my knowledge RAM does this with the R/T package. Why limit sales if someone wants a sporty, performance oriented pickup? I do agree with using the Corvette motor and offering both a manual and auto trans options.

As for the tires, here's what an insider on another forum had to say about these purported "SS" pictures:

Don't expect the 5.3 to match the ecoboost in power. Fuel economy tho, probably.

And NO, they are not dropping the 6.2l. Lol

Those spy pics cracked me up. They have used those same tires for years on all the 20" wheel packages. That new wheel design for the 20" is also spray painted. Which is really funny. Well for a manufacturer to do anyways.

Really the only info you can get from those pics are the rear disc brakes, the new leveled stance, the forward opening ext cab rear doors, that this truck has a 5.3 in it because of the exhaust, and I'm trying to figure out what those parts are attached to the middle section of the frame... one looks to be a skid plate, can't make out the other. And also notice the rear frame and suspension looks the same as now, which is fine since no change is necessary.

I hope they do an SS but I really don't think this is it.

I would think they would drop the truck a little as it has too much tire to fender clearance. They did it right on the SS Trailblazer so I would expect they would do the same here.

Like the guy said this could just be the big option wheel package as they have been using the Eagle on them.

I would drop it about 2 inches and give it a planted look as it should handle as well as it runs.

I think this is just an uplevel Silverado. Heck, you can order several styles of 20 inch rims on the current truck. All this does is confirm the new truck will have optional 20s. This is shaping up to be a killer truck.

Edited by ocnblu

the forward opening ext cab rear doors

EPIC FAIL.

coming from the owner of an extended cab pickup with rear opening extended cab doors.

• Agree 1

I think they want that extra post for crash standards. It will be in the way though, and less convenient for door operation if you're hauling "stuff" and not people back there. But if you're hauling people it might be easier because they have their own inside & outside handle and they can get out without opening the front door.

The new Colorado extended cab still needs suicide doors, however, because honestly it will still be too small back there to haul people, but it's ideal for keeping "stuff" locked up and out of the bed.

The new Colorado will have space for two. Not a lot of room but room enough.

I liked my rear door on my Sonoma. I really don't need the rear doors much but when I do they are there and are hidden. Not much of a fan of crew cabs but if you need one there is nothing wrong with is.

These could even be test for the SPO wheels so I would not read too much into it yet. When we see a pick up at the Ring we may get a SS.

the forward opening ext cab rear doors

EPIC FAIL.

coming from the owner of an extended cab pickup with rear opening extended cab doors.

X2

I like hidden door hardware and the rear hinges. For all those who complain about the rear hinged doors, GM already has a crew cab model to address their concerns. Variety is a good thing.