Next Gen Cruze is Closer than You Think.

hyperv6

GM anounced that the Cruze next gen will be built in Lordstown Ohio and they will invest over 230 Million Dollars in the new car. It was stated it will have a new body and interior.

The story did not give details but it sounds like based on what I read that while it may be on the Delta II it will see more than just a nose job.

The work in the body shop is already started and on the way. They did not give a time line but I suspect with the body shop change 2014 may not be out of the question.

I just found my press release.

$220 million will be invested.

5000 jobs retained

New styled exterior

New styled interior

Improved Fuel Economy

Improved interior compartment and more storage space

Prelim work to clear the body shop is already taking place.

Keep in mind the Lordstown plant is large enought they can add a new line and keep right on building the present car. They did this when they changed to the Cruze. This plant is massive.

GM gives Gov John Kasich and his Jobs Ohio Team for helping make this happen. Like him or hate him he has created more long term jobs than the Federal Goverment has. Now if they could only get people to pass the drug test. They are now forced in to looking out of state for Oil Field workers because they are having trouble finding people who can pass the wiz quiz. The sad thing now is we have more jobs but few people able to fill them. We see the same thing where I work.

sounds like PR fluff. all they are doing is an MCE and not moving production to another plant. it's an election year, they have to make it sound political.

The Gov is not up for election. The Bamster was not mentioned and this plant is about all the Youngstown area has outside the fast growing oil and gas industry. It may not mean much anywhere else but it means the world to where things have been depression like since the steel industry left.

With 230 million being invested I would say it will be more than a new nose and tail lights. I suspect the sheet metal will see changes too. The underpinnings will remain the same and as good as they are that is fine.

The Cruze is right on time for upgrades.

I expect the dash will see a Mylink screen.

No coupe, no sale. No hatch, no sale. No estate, no sale.

Sudden heavy players in the market are not afraid to sell interesting variations on the core product.

They have them where they sell. A hatch might see some limited sales but a wagon would gather dust unless. Now if you made it look like a small SUV there might be some interest and profit.

I think you said it best "Estate No Sale"!

Well it will be 5th MY around the world in 2013 - so a replacement is indeed imminent.

You are spot on. Most others have stepped up with new models and the Cruze is still selling well. Update it now and keep it fresh and hot. This is a car that people have found if they pay a little more they get a lot more car. I expect some of the engineering upgrades from the Verano may fine its way into this Cruze.

What percentage of Focus sales are hatches? Pretty high, seems like. And look at Hyundai's Elantra family. And Kia's Forte array.

I gave a limited nod to the hatch but forget the wagon.

keep in mind the Nox is moving to the Delta II so that may take most of the expected wagon sales and would impact the hatch to a limited point.

Edited by hyperv6

sounds like PR fluff. all they are doing is an MCE and not moving production to another plant. it's an election year, they have to make it sound political.

The Gov is not up for election. The Bamster was not mentioned and this plant is about all the Youngstown area has outside the fast growing oil and gas industry. It may not mean much anywhere else but it means the world to where things have been depression like since the steel industry left.

With 230 million being invested I would say it will be more than a new nose and tail lights. I suspect the sheet metal will see changes too. The underpinnings will remain the same and as good as they are that is fine.

The Cruze is right on time for upgrades.

I expect the dash will see a Mylink screen.

it's fluff there was no chance of it leaving, it makes the politicians of any ilk look good for 'saving jobs'

What percentage of Focus sales are hatches? Pretty high, seems like. And look at Hyundai's Elantra family. And Kia's Forte array.

I gave a limited nod to the hatch but forget the wagon.

keep in mind the Nox is moving to the Delta II so that may take most of the expected wagon sales and would impact the hatch to a limited point.

Equinox should move to delta

Lordstown is way below capacity as a percentage of floor space though they've tapped the upper capacity of the line that is currently installed there. Moving the Cruze somewhere else was always an option for that reason. GM needs to find some additional production to put there eventually.