Benefits of LSD and ABS

bowtie_dude

I was on GMBuyPower.com, pricing out a Solstice and was basically trying to figure out ways to get one with payments no higher than $350 a month (we currently pay $406 a month for my wife's 06 Escape, and I'd like to keep the payments on MY vehicle at least $50 less, if not more).

I've never driven a car without ABS, so I'm not sure what its like to not have it, and I've also never driven a car WITH LSD, so I have no frame of reference there either. What are the advantages, and conversely, disadvantages to having these two options? Thanks!

Contrastly, I've never driven any car without ABS. It did save my a$$ a few times, but all in Winter. I suppose since you're pricing out a Solstice, it won't be driven in Winter at all.

But since you're used to no ABS, I suppose you're used to pumping your brakes instead of slamming on it. That's what ABS is used for. When you slam on them, they slow you down instead of locking them, hence the name Anti-lock.

Not sure about LSD though, although "my friend claims his friend's Si has LSD so it drives like a rear wheel drive", which I find BS. It does help with torque steer on FWD cars though.

Contrastly, I've never driven any car without ABS. It did save my a$$ a few times, but all in Winter. I suppose since you're pricing out a Solstice, it won't be driven in Winter at all.

But since you're used to no ABS, I suppose you're used to pumping your brakes instead of slamming on it. That's what ABS is used for. When you slam on them, they slow you down instead of locking them, hence the name Anti-lock.

Not sure about LSD though, although "my friend claims his friend's Si has LSD so it drives like a rear wheel drive", which I find BS. It does help with torque steer on FWD cars though.

You misread what I wrote, I'm the same as you in that every car I've driven has had ABS.

I live in Lexington, KY. The winters don't get TOO bad around here, but we do get snow and occasionally ice, we got a real bad ice storm back in Feb 02, shut down the city for a week.

Anyway, this is all still hypothetical and months away, I'm just testing the budget water right now to see what I may be able to afford later. Convincing my wife to let me get a 2-seat roadster will be harder than buying it. :P

ABS = necessary... even in dry weather.

LSD = very nice performance luxury.

For $195, it won't make much difference in your payment but it will make a large difference in the performance of the car.

It would be the very first box I checked after the ABS.

Since you have ABS have you ever feel your brake pedal vibrate extremely when stoping ever? If you never had this happen you dont need it.

ABS allows you to turn under extreme braking by locking and unlocking the wheels. while not having it, your wheels lock up and increase stoping distance and dont allow you to turn while braking.

LSD is a drug and i dont recomend taking it. (very tripy though)

But really instead of one tire getting more power off the line it will give both drive wheels equal power. not allowing One Wheel Squeelers. where one tire spins while the other one does nothing. But in corners will allow the outside wheel to recieve more power.

If that helps you any.

As for abs I don't find it needed only one of all my cars has abs... One of my cars came with rear wheel abs but disconected it to avoid a costly bill. So myself I don't believe you need it hear in michigan the roads get slick but I find it very over rated and make for costly repairs in the future.

As for limited slip you will get a little better acceleration without torque steer and its mainly for performance but overall if you want to keep payments down it is not needed but more of a luxury so all in all if I had to choose between both i would get LSD because ABS is way over rated and alot of the time will not operate properly in the long run anyways.

Edited by reeferman

I didn't know cars were still available with ABS only as an option...I'd say ABS is a must...

LSD, well, if it's available then go for it. Is the gearing the same on the LSD as it is on the open diff?

The LSD will drastically improve performance, especially from a dig and through the corners (especially the corners). It will allow more power to be applied to the wheels that need it most, and it will allow greater corner exiting speeds.

IMO, it's a must have. It pisses me off BMW didn't atleast have it as an option for e39's...only the M5 got LSD...One of my next major mods is hunting down a 3.15 LSD from an M5...(my current is a 2.81 oped-diff, that's what 6-speeds got, autotragics got a 3.15 open-diff to help compensate a bit)...

I'd get both if I could afford it, BUT ABS will have more day

to day practical uses than LSD. Unless you're drag racing &

such the LSD is NOT a hughe benefit. Plus, it takes more

responsibility and skill to not wipe out wiht LSD... once you

start doing the 360 dance with LSD you're fu$ked. On ice,

snow & sand you have to be extra carefull with LSD.

What?? ABS doesnt help you unless you fully apply the brake pedal all the time to where the pedal touches the floor. The only time i have ever felt my ABS kick in was on ice and once when i was going 50 down a dirt road and used to much brake.

You dont need ABS if you ever feelt the tires lock just release the brake a little till the wheels spin a little. pumping the pedal is very hard to do when in a situation. Threshold braking is what i do since the caprice doesnt have ABS. Its where your on ice and you need to stop so you allpy the brakes till where the tires still roll but dont lock.

LSD can get you high as F*ck though.

LSD is a nice feature for quicker off the line starts and thats about it. if you get it for cruiseing you dont need LSD. If you plan to race it go with LSD.

Since you have ABS have you ever feel your brake pedal vibrate extremely when stoping ever? If you never had this happen you dont need it.

ABS allows you to turn under extreme braking by locking and unlocking the wheels. while not having it, your wheels lock up and increase stoping distance and dont allow you to turn while braking.

LSD is a drug and i dont recomend taking it. (very tripy though)

But really instead of one tire getting more power off the line it will give both drive wheels equal power. not allowing One Wheel Squeelers. where one tire spins while the other one does nothing. But in corners will allow the outside wheel to recieve more power.

If that helps you any.

A vibrating brake pedal is not always a feature of ABS systems, though some produce it and others still use it as a feedback mechanism so you know it's taking action. More systems these days are transparent, i.e. you only notice it when it's not working.

Well, if I were to order the Solstice, I'd get both, stick shift and minus air conditioning and power goodies. CD player and all performance mods.

And here's the not so realistic part: Mallett V8 conversion.

Mine will be the ultimate driver's car.

Yeah, I was considering the no-A/C option. In a ragtop, is there really a need? Unless its raining, if its warm, just drop the top. Saves $1000.

for me ABS is a neccessity. It kicks in all the time on snow and has saved me in many cases. The only time I have ever noticed it during the summer months in when a deer or something darts out in front of me and I have to push the brakes to the floor to avoid it. LSD is also nice, I would say spring for that, especially in a solstice.

ABS can be useful but it has been proven that infact in some cases ABS will lengthen the stopping distance but I would still consider it optional the only thing that will save you from an accident is your own knowledge and how you handle the situation... By the way most accidents can be prevented if you didn't always ride the bumper of the car in front of you because if you were back at a proper distance you would have plenty of time to stop without even needing your ABS... So if it were me and I wanted to keep my monthly cost down I would say no ABS.

ABS can be useful but it has been proven that infact in some cases ABS will lengthen the stopping distance but I would still consider it optional the only thing that will save you from an accident is your own knowledge and how you handle the situation... By the way most accidents can be prevented if you didn't always ride the bumper of the car in front of you because if you were back at a proper distance you would have plenty of time to stop without even needing your ABS... So if it were me and I wanted to keep my monthly cost down I would say no ABS.

That's in the case for drivers who are completely not used to ABS, and have driven non-ABS cars for a long time. ABS is supposed to work by completely slamming on it with full force.

In this case, since bowtie is used to ABS, it would be beneficial to get it.

Edited by ToniCipriani

I would definatly get ABS. I can see the benefits in the last 2 cars I had especially in winter. I dont know about LSD but my dad said you have to be really careful with it in the winter. Once you start spinning its harder to stop. I would never get a madern car witout A/C. It helps defog the winshield and if its really humid and hot you can be comfortable driving it.