Interactive Review: 2012 Buick Verano

William Maley

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

May 16, 2012

As the Chevrolet Malibu Eco leaves the Cheers and Gears Detroit garage, another vehicle arrives to take its place. The vehicle is the smallest Buick of them all, the new Verano.

The Verano is equipped with a 2.4L four-cylinder producing 180 HP and 171 lb-ft of torque, and a six-speed automatic.

First impressions so far: The Verano is very, very quiet. Something I appreciate very much. Also, I'm finding the 2.4L to be an ok powertrain in the short time I had it.

I will be updating with my thoughts about the Verano throughout this week. In the meantime, send your questions in.

View full article

So on those Detroit Roads from Hell, how is the suspension holding up to the Hell Holes?

How is the line of site for the front and back? To me the pictures make it appear as being a bit hard to gauge your corners due to the round off edges.

Does this car have the latest InfoTainment system from GM? If so how does it work in comparison to the Ford Sync system?

I had the brief opportunity to test drive and then be a passenger in the Verano CXL on the streets of Philadelphia in February, courtesy of GM and the Philly Auto Show. It seemed to have a pleasant ride, and the power was certainly enough for Philly traffic. Back seat was tighter than I'd like, especially since I have an almost 2 y-o in a car seat and an almost 7 y-o in a booster seat that can easily put their feet on the seat backs (one of the reasons I liked the '13 Taurus rental I had - lots of rear seat legroom space :smilewide: ).

Curious about your reply on how it handles the poor street conditions of Detroit. Also want to know how fuel economy is with the 2.4L 4-cylinder engine. And overall impressions - good, bad, and ugly!!

So on those Detroit Roads from Hell, how is the suspension holding up to the Hell Holes?

Curious about your reply on how it handles the poor street conditions of Detroit.

So far, the Verano is doing a great job with the Detroit Roads: soaking up the bumps and potholes.

How is the line of site for the front and back? To me the pictures make it appear as being a bit hard to gauge your corners due to the round off edges.

Coming from the Malibu Eco, I'm finding the Verano an improvement. Its somewhat hard to gauge corners and backup in certain situations, but I'm ok with it.

Does this car have the latest InfoTainment system from GM? If so how does it work in comparison to the Ford Sync system?

Yes, it has Buick IntelliLink. I can't really answer the comparison with SYNC since I haven't played with it. I hope to fix that soon.

Also want to know how fuel economy is with the 2.4L 4-cylinder engine.

Somehow I'm averaging 28 MPG in mixed driving at the moment, I keep updating on this.

After spending time with it, is it really less boring, more appealing than an average sleepy family sedan like the Malibu you gave back?

I think both are very appealing, it depends on what you want. For me, I would with the Verano at the moment. But that could change when I get the chance to drive the 2.5L Malibu

How do the back seats compare?

I'm finding the back seats comfortable with a good amount of headroom. Legroom is ok, but taller passengers will complain

How are the ergonomics and controls? Adjustability? Headroom? Cupholders?

Ergonomics and controls: On the Verano, the controls are laid out in a good way. It make senses where everything is and are good to the touch.

Adjustability: Steering adjusts for height and reach. Seats are a mix of power and manual controls for the driver and manual for passenger, which was a bit of surprise for where its in the market. Maybe its just me.

Headroom: Front seat is ok. Back seat is ok for me, taller passengers might complain.

Cupholders: Yep, there on the Verano

Your impression on build quality and if the car feels solid overall.

My particular Verano felt very solid and had pretty good build quality. Others haven't been so lucky. I talked to couple of people who also drove Veranos and they saw some bad build quality; panel gaps (inside and out) and some interior pieces being broken. I'm guessing these were first runs and I think some of them had been damaged by someone.. But still.

The ones I've seen look very nice inside and out. I think my favourite colour be Cyber Gray wit black inturior. The low-pressure 2.0t with a six speed manuel would liven up this little cruiser quite nicely, I think.

The ones I've seen look very nice inside and out. I think my favourite colour be Cyber Gray wit black inturior. The low-pressure 2.0t with a six speed manuel would liven up this little cruiser quite nicely, I think.

Mine would be the Crystal Red with either the Titanium/Ebony or Cocoa Cashmere. Also like the new 2013 Blue colour with the Ebony/Titanium and the Mocha Bronze with the Cocoa/Cashmere.

• 5 weeks later...

Chbrystal red would be nice, I think.

How is the dashboard at night....?

And how is this car for night driving, and longer highway hauls?

...and also please the brakes in a panic situation or nearly so. How do they feel? How did the ABS feel?