Centenarian in a Century cited for Speeding

vonVeezelsnider

VICTORIA— It took 100 years for one B.C. man to tarnish his perfect driving record.

The centenarian was stopped for speeding in a school zone Tuesday, a shock to a traffic officer in the Victoria suburb of Saanich when she saw the 1911 birthdate on a driver’s licence, which was good for another five years.

The traffic officer pulled over the 100-year-old driver in a Buick Century when he was spotted going 50 kilometres an hour in a school zone, where the limit is 30 kilometres an hour.

The man had a flawless driving record, so the traffic officer gave him a warning ticket.

“I was shocked, not only at the 100 years of age, but the brand new five-year renewal driver licence,” said Const. Janice Carmena.

Of course it was a Century, what else would it be? When I clicked on this article I was expecting some sort of ridiculous 50+kph over the limit thing, but the fact that it was just forgetting to slow down for a school zone is almost funnier because we all do this sometimes.