MARCH 2012 CAR SPOTTERS THREAD

ocnblu

Starting off this months observations was the motorcycle I saw on my way into work. What looked like a restored WWII Motorcycle with Sidecar. Funny thing was the guy was all bundled up in modern motorcycle warm cloths on a day of mixed snow and rain. The motorcycle looked like it should be in a museum as it was in great condition butt clearly ridable.

Starting off this months observations was the motorcycle I saw on my way into work. What looked like a restored WWII Motorcycle with Sidecar. Funny thing was the guy was all bundled up in modern motorcycle warm cloths on a day of mixed snow and rain. The motorcycle looked like it should be in a museum as it was in great condition butt clearly ridable.

Funny...I saw something like that in my neighborhood last weekend...the guy even had on a WWII vintage looking Army helmet..

As far as March spottings, saw a clean dark red mid '80s Cutlass Supreme 2dr this morning...totally stock condition.

Camaro limo, eh? Sounds horrific. Did a google and found this gem:

xlarge_camaro_stretch.jpg

As far as the thread goes, the only interesting things I've seen today are the olive '71 Road Runner in my office parking garage again and a clean red mid '80s 911 w/ turbo look...

Walked through my companies parking garage, I now work for Isilon which went public a little over a year back and was recently bought out by EMC. The engineers have gone nuts with car purchases, a total list of Porche, BMW M, Cadillac V and AMG. Very weird to see how groups seemed to all buy like cars, the dealerships must have gone nuts in the last couple of months here.

Today was a good car day...

Blue '72-ish Plymouth Satelite. Big scoop on hood... jacked up in the rear.

'65/'66 Mustang... light blue metallic notchback. Engine sounded like solid lifters and straight pipes... could hear it from 1/4 away idling... as it headed out of Coney Island.

Also saw 5-6 more of those darn FIATs. It's insane.

Not one, but TWO nice '81-'85 Olds Cutlass Supremes coupes.

Also peaked at a pristine yellow '55 T-Bird and a Model A... at a Honda dealership in Bay Ridge... WTH?!?

Edited by SAmadei

Saw a variety of interesting stuff on the commute home tonite:

Not 1, but 4 '70s Rancheros---very clean dark blue '74-76, a solid white '70-71, a well-worn white and primer '72, and a solid white '77-79.

Great convertible weather---saw a red w/ white coves '58-60 Corvette, top down, a clean pale green '69-70 deVille convertible, and a stereotypical red w/ tan interior '70s 450SL roadster.

A well worn but still running white w/ yellow roof '65 Caddy 4dr ht

A clean black '46-48 Ford coupe

I also snapped a couple shots of the Maverick that lives in the Brooklyn hood a few days ago... and still looks surprising good, considering Brooklyn is hell on cars...

This is the Maverick/Comet (couldn't remember which it was) that I talked about in the Comet 4 door cheers/jeers.

post-4086-0-10932200-1330739447.jpg

post-4086-0-03076000-1330739507.jpg

Later that day I also saw a black '68 Cutlass coupe... still being driven to the stores by its older owners... unfortunately, the car was real rough and likely too far gone.

Was in Delaware all day yesterday. At the dentist in slower lower Delaware, I finally spotted an Acura SLX (aka Isuzu Trooper) a few spots down from my mini silver TSX.

Great shape and well kept. Definitely a slower lower beach area car.

IMG_6603.jpg

I also snapped a couple shots of the Maverick that lives in the Brooklyn hood a few days ago... and still looks surprising good, considering Brooklyn is hell on cars...

This is the Maverick/Comet (couldn't remember which it was) that I talked about in the Comet 4 door cheers/jeers.

definitely a Maverick. if you look closely, it says FORD across the rear valence. The Comet was a Mercury; and if I remember correctly, they had quite a schnoz.

Edited by Turbojett

definitely a Maverick. if you look closely, it says FORD across the rear valence. The Comet was a Mercury; and if I remember correctly, they had quite a schnoz.

Yes, and with the split grille, it's a '76-77.

Here's the Comet of the same years..Comet had 2 taillights per side (which appear tvery similar to '70-71 Cyclone which had 3 per side)

76com4dr.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Wait, guys, I know its a Maverick... I labelled it as such at the top of my post... I was calling it a Maverick/Comet because at the time I discussed it in the other thread, I couldn't remember if it was a Maverick or Comet.

I suspected it was a later one ('75-'77) due to the coffin nose.

Went to a NASCAR race today...was fun but exhausting..on the way out, saw a clean bronze '78-79 Caddy pickup...think it was a Mirage-style conversion and not a flower car (didn't have the weird stainless steel raised bed). Saw a big McMansion out in a farm area amidst shacks that had a CTS-v coupe, CTS sedan, Escalade, and XLR-v parked in the garage w/ the garage doors open..

This morning saw a silver Volt in a parking lot in downtown Tempe plugged in at a charging station..first I've seen in the wild like that. Also saw a sharp red G8 on the freeway w/ black wheels and Holden Commodore badging.

Also saw an early Plymouth Horizon TC3 in faded orange in traffic..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

An '05/06 Chrysler 300 Limited V6 sedan, Light Crypress Green...convertible. Cruising at night on 76 Saturday. I've seen photos but never one in person. This one was light green with green top and definitely not a faux "make it look like it" convertible, with roof ribs and small back window. Looked well used to with yellowing headlights and not the cleanest, rolling along.

On this morning's Starbucks run saw a new Lexus GS in black, not bad, but the rear reminds me of several other cars..also a red '62 Corvette in clean shape.

But didn't ya know, the new GS has interesting new technology, such as blind spot monitoring, as featured on the 2007 Buick Lucerne, heads up display as on the 1992 Pontiac Bonneville, 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, and night vision as featured first on the 2000 Cadillac Deville and later on the 2002 Lexus LX.

Want to know how I know? The Lexus commercial that keeps running over and over touting all of the new technology that the new GS has and how much more technologically advanced the car is because of these things.

sorry for the rant, but that commercial gets on my nerves so much that I'm 'bout ready to write an article blasting them for it and then tweet the hell out of it so maybe they will pull it.

:hijacked:

• Agree 3

On this morning's Starbucks run saw a new Lexus GS in black, not bad, but the rear reminds me of several other cars..also a red '62 Corvette in clean shape.

But didn't ya know, the new GS has interesting new technology, such as blind spot monitoring, as featured on the 2007 Buick Lucerne, heads up display as on the 1992 Pontiac Bonneville, 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, and night vision as featured first on the 2000 Cadillac Deville and later on the 2002 Lexus LX.

Want to know how I know? The Lexus commercial that keeps running over and over touting all of the new technology that the new GS has and how much more technologically advanced the car is because of these things.

sorry for the rant, but that commercial gets on my nerves so much that I'm 'bout ready to write an article blasting them for it and then tweet the hell out of it so maybe they will pull it.

Yeah, but it's a Lexus... :)

Saw a matte black Corvette ZR1 at lunch...the matte look is getting played out, I think...that look just doesn't work on a Corvette, IMO.

I agree you should write it and tweet it, I have gotten to the point of pressing the mute button each time that bloody commercial starts.

Not sure on the year, but at the Lynnwood washington park and ride lot this morning was Volvo XC90 that had a silver paint job, but the nose, lower 1/3 of all side panels and from bummer down on the back wa all Linux Sprayed.

Talk about making sure you do not rust or scratch. Was interesting at the same time as being a bit weird.

I don't think I've seen that ad...

Be glad you have not seen it, it is enough to make you want to :puke:

Errands tonight. Passed by the Toyota/Scion dealer in Plymouth Meeting. Up front (2) new Scion IQ's and by the front door entrance a new Prius C (I think that's what it is)...the new smaller/cheaper/sportier Prius, version 3. Pan to the left, a new brute looking FJ Cruiser in light gray, someone was taking a picture of. What a mix.

I believe it's high time I followed C&G on Twitter. I'd certainly join in the campaign. :)

Anyway, I've seen quite a few Jaguars down here recently. Mostly the XF, but I did see one XJ a couple of days ago.

Walked by the Seattle FireDepartment Museum and they had pulled out to do some work a 1928 Fire Engine. Had to get in so could not stop to see who the make was, but wow have we come a long way since those fire engines. :P

Saw my first Scion IQ today while out running errands. Was pretty much fully optioned, navy blue, and parked in front of an antique store in a trendy inner-city neighborhood. I was going to wait to see if the owner of the vehicle had ironic eyeglass frames and some knitwear derived headgear but alas the light turned green and I moved on.

Was in traffic in downtown Tempe this afternoon with a Leaf in front of me, a Mitsubishi i to my left, a Prius V on my right, a Volt to my left rear, a Rolls Royce Phantom behind me, and a Scion iQ to my right rear...interesting mix..

A couple from this week:

A guy who loves his W-Bodies... Impressive paint on this GP though. For a nearly 20 year old car the condition it's in is pretty cherry. Obviously someone takes good care of it.

Photo0021.jpg

I'm also putting Liberty Buick of Glendale AZ on notice this week. I'm in Arizona 4-5 weeks out of the year and I see enough of these fogey edition cars with the vogue tires and cloth/riveted faux cabrio tops. Now they're polluting my country with them too? Unacceptable.

Photo0020.jpg

The new 2013 Acura RDX. Crawled all over it at training this morning. Excellent upgrade from the current vehicle. Looks exactly like a mini MDX and no more awkward aardvark nose. Smoother, quieter, roomier, more power and huge fuel economy bump, looks great.

Already been released, and I took a photo but then was directed by our Acura rep I cannot post it anywhere. Embargo'd until month end. Oh well.

Edited by caddycruiser