Rare Mercury only, Panther option

Trying to imagine the story behind this : must've been all owner-changed brakes, but the outside pads only... cause there's a decent pad on there now. Wow.

Used tire shops will do the same work and you don't even need to soil your hands and you don't get a warranty

Trying to imagine the story behind this : must've been all owner-changed brakes, but the outside pads only... cause there's a decent pad on there now. Wow.

This is an old photo thats been floated around on the 'net for awhile.

I discussed it somewhere else, and I surmise that it was a combination of well used rotor and a caliper that likely froze so only the inner shoe was pressing on the rotor... once into the venting, it probably only took a few thousand miles to eat the whole rotor apart. Keep in mind that the last parts of the rotor probably fragged apart. Also, being a rear wheel, were brake usage is very low, I suspect something may have failed in such a way to keep pressure on the inner pad... the heat would have also accelerated the wear.

I really don't think that this was simply an issue of maintainance failure... as properly working calipers would have needed 300K to eat that rotor up, and would have been picked up eventually. Unfortunately, I don't know what the true story behind those was.

I wonder how many miles the rotors had... I've been able to get about 40k out of each set..

What kind of car? I've typically gotten 80K-100K plus a recut and 80K more... however, in the last decade, I've stopped getting rotors cut, as thin (yet in-spec) tend to warp more... and I REALLY hate warped rotors.

Plus, these are rear rotors, and see much less wear.

I wonder how many miles the rotors had... I've been able to get about 40k out of each set..

What kind of car? I've typically gotten 80K-100K plus a recut and 80K more... however, in the last decade, I've stopped getting rotors cut, as thin (yet in-spec) tend to warp more... and I REALLY hate warped rotors.

'00 Grand Cherokee...I usually replace the rotors and pads (all 4 wheels) about every 40k or so..

40K for replaced rotors sounds like they're rooking you. Never replaced rotors that often on anything.

SAmadei- I would've thought it more likely a clueless owner would let rotors go that far much easier than a 'professional' shop, but who knows.

Just replaced the front rotors on the Silverado @ 99K. My truck seems susceptible to wearing the backsides moreso that the fronts of rotors, this was the case with both the rear discs & the fronts. Not sure how common this is.

40K for replaced rotors sounds like they're rooking you. Never replaced rotors that often on anything.

20k was the norm for 1st gen GCs, I've read. Not a big deal, just routine maintenance.

Probablynot a bad idea...and you drive short distances anyways...you've only got like 125K on that thing eleven years after you bought it.

• 2 months later...