Putting our money where our mouth is part 2

intrigued

Following up on our recent thread regarding cars you've bought since you've been on Cheers & Gears lets look ahead to cars you'd like to (realistically buy) You can include you're family as well.

I currenty don't have a car since I live in Queens but if I can justify it or if i move to an area where it makes more sense to have a car I desperatley want a 2013 Mustang GT. If I get a big promotion I'm hoping for in the next year I might just go ahead and do it regardless of the logic involved. I'd get a GT premium manual with the track and brembo pack, manual and navagation.

My parents love their 2010 fusion but they might consider trading it in on an escape 2.0 T in the next few years. My dad has MS and they could use a small CUV to help transport his stuff.

My brother's hopeing to get 2 new cars during August clearance this coming year.

He wants to replace his 2006 Mustang V6 pony package with a 2013 V6 premium

His family has gotten larger and with 3 growing kids they're going to replace the 2006 Saturn Vue with an Explorer. He's not sure if it will be with a Ecoboost 4 or the standard though.

Anyone have future car plans?

As I've said before, I'm very interested in the Subaru BRZ. Honestly, I think I'm going to start saving for one. There's just one thing that gives me pause:

I'm 6'3". The BRZ isn't much bigger than a Miata. I don't fit well in a Miata; the bottom edge of the windshield header is right in my line of vision in my normal seating position. However, the seats in the BRZ are supposed to be mounted rather low, so there's still a chance I could fit. I still need to see it in person and sit in it to make a final decision. If indeed I won't fit inside, it would be a great disappointment. However for that same money they're saying the Subie will start at, I could also get a V6 Mustang or Camaro--both of which I know I can fit in.

• Agree 1

Do you really need to ask that here?!?! :lol:

I'd like to consider the new Buick Verano for the wife, though I know she wants a new Buick LaCrosse. With the amount of miles on the G6 (55k), and 2 1/2 years left on the loan, it's likely the G6 will not be replaced anytime soon unless a dealer was desperate to sell a new Buick :P However, a new Buick is on the wife's future wish list.

My plan is to pay-off the Envoy loan (GM CPO, still have 4 years left) and then finally get the regular cab, full-size pickup I've always wanted (GMC Sierra). While I've always wanted a 1500 series, the new-for-2011 HD's are just beauty's to my eyes. A regular cab, long bed SLE 2500 HD 4x4 would be a really nice rig for me. However, if the Envoy doesn't stick around, a Crew Cab Sierra would be nice too :smilewide: And if gas prices make any of these two dream vehicles out of unobtainium, then a GMC version of the new Colorado crew cab pickup or the SUV version would also be on the consideration list.

As I've said before, I'm very interested in the Subaru BRZ. Honestly, I think I'm going to start saving for one. There's just one thing that gives me pause:

I'm 6'3". The BRZ isn't much bigger than a Miata. I don't fit well in a Miata; the bottom edge of the windshield header is right in my line of vision in my normal seating position. However, the seats in the BRZ are supposed to be mounted rather low, so there's still a chance I could fit. I still need to see it in person and sit in it to make a final decision. If indeed I won't fit inside, it would be a great disappointment. However for that same money they're saying the Subie will start at, I could also get a V6 Mustang or Camaro--both of which I know I can fit in.

I am thinking the same thing...thinking or trading in my 2002 Mazda Miata, I am 6-11 and fit well, but would like a little larger car....and I am thinking v6 Camaro actually....

Do you really need to ask that here?!?! :lol:

I'd like to consider the new Buick Verano for the wife, though I know she wants a new Buick LaCrosse. With the amount of miles on the G6 (55k), and 2 1/2 years left on the loan, it's likely the G6 will not be replaced anytime soon unless a dealer was desperate to sell a new Buick :P However, a new Buick is on the wife's future wish list.

My plan is to pay-off the Envoy loan (GM CPO, still have 4 years left) and then finally get the regular cab, full-size pickup I've always wanted (GMC Sierra). While I've always wanted a 1500 series, the new-for-2011 HD's are just beauty's to my eyes. A regular cab, long bed SLE 2500 HD 4x4 would be a really nice rig for me. However, if the Envoy doesn't stick around, a Crew Cab Sierra would be nice too :smilewide: And if gas prices make any of these two dream vehicles out of unobtainium, then a GMC version of the new Colorado crew cab pickup or the SUV version would also be on the consideration list.

I am glad someone else here likes regular cab, fullsize pickup trucks....

Eventually we'll need to replace the CR-V... but we have other big priorities on our plate right now.... and also a serious illness in the family, so we don't need the distraction.

Sorry to hear about the illness....and I will be glad when you get rid of that godawful CRV. Wife and I checked out a Civic SI, and I can see why you don't like the CRV...

New cars are off of my radar for the time being.

However, if the Ute comes here I will find a way.

There isn't much else I'd really want to buy anyway.

Lucky you...I will want to replace either the Scion or the Miata next year, leaning towards replacing the Miata with something more substantial...

Well, with a little guy (okay, not so little), I don't plan to have any big car notes for a while (would rather have a house/work on that), but I would like a new one, so I can see a base model Cruze in the driveway. Would also like to add a used cute ute for the wife.

And since my boy loves old cars,I'd like one of those too. :gitfunky:

Current cars are in good shape, and since the highest miled car just turned 70k, it's not like I have to rush.....

• Agree 1

I try not to, it has saved me a tonne of money and allowed me to buy a place and pay off the mortgage. Besides that, I don't enjoy driving anything much larger than a compact car but next purchase practical factors will dictate that we will have to go larger. I'll think about it only when I have to.

I'm either trading the Challenger down to something cheaper as early as next month or buying a beater this spring. The situation is so messy it's hard to write a Reader's Digest version of what's going on.

I've looked at a few vehicles over the last few weeks that would be appropriate for either situation: mostly Jeeps, a few trucks, and whatever rear-drive cars I encounter.

Edited by black-knight
  • Agree 1

I do want a used Avalanche again, but that's so far down the road at this point.

They are a nice vehicle....

I'm either trading the Challenger down to something cheaper as early as next month or buying a beater this spring. The situation is so messy it's hard to write a Reader's Digest version of what's going on.

I've looked at a few vehicles over the last few weeks that would be appropriate for either situation: mostly Jeeps, a few trucks, and whatever rear-drive cars I encounter.

Good luck, sorry that your Saga has been so messy.

I am thinking the same thing...thinking or trading in my 2002 Mazda Miata, I am 6-11 and fit well, but would like a little larger car....and I am thinking v6 Camaro actually....

HOLY HELL, 6'11"?! how do you fit in that thing? I had to do the gangsta recline to fit in an NC with the hard top up, and that put a strain on my arms.

Well, I suppose if you can make it work, there's hope for me and a BRZ after all. :w00t:

Edited by Turbojett

HOLY HELL, 6'11"?! how do you fit in that thing? I had to do the gangsta recline to fit in an NC with the hard top up, and that put a strain on my arms.

Well, I suppose if you can make it work, there's hope for me and a BRZ after all. :w00t:

I am 5 eleven and impaired at the fingers where I can't type. My sons friend Nick rides in and drives the Miata regularly, and he is 6'8....not kidding....

Still liking my Grand Cherokee after 11+ years and 135k miles. Want to get it to at least 150k. But I may buy a new daily driver in the next 18 months, depending on my work situation and geolocation.

Go Camaro, it is calling your name.

But seriously, with one car paid off and the other almost paid off, I really don't want to pull a loan for twenty grand unless I have too.

Hmmm...black knight and monogamy...

Given your luck with cars, you probably could screw J Lo and wind up with a baby that looks like Yoda.

Maybe you should try a Schwinn and Celibacy.

Not particularly. :(

If I could afford it, I'd buy a 2011 Dodge Charger.

I wouldn't mind having a 1989 Caprice Classic, or a '75 Caprice Classic convertible ... or a coupe version of the '77-'79 CCs.

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I don't know if there'll be snow" __ Burl Ives __ 'Have A Holly Jolly Christmas'

I always wanted a 75 Caprice convertible...as a kid, i wanted a 72 LTD with the folding roof and a 70 full size Chryco ragtop...one of the last of each of the full size ragtops. Pair that with a 72 Buick midsize ragtop, a 73 Mustang Convertible, and then a 71 Challenger just because...6 cars...that last of the fullsize and midsize regular convertibles...what I wanted as a kid.

We had neighbors who had a 75 Caprice ragtop...old days....

Nobody in my family has concrete plans to swap out their cars at this point in time although my mom is less happy with das Malibu and the issues we have had with it are well documented on this site (great design, bad follow-through).

My folks want to take advantage of the real estate market in PHX in the next 18mos or so- the 'solution' to the Malibu issue is putting it down there and freeing my mom up to get herself a new car for up here. She has expressed interest something a bit more 'interesting' next time, namely a Camaro, Mustang, Sebring Limited Convertible or a Fiesta SES hatch.

As for me, I still have my ear constantly to the ground for a tidy 94-96 LT1 Fleet at the right price, but in this neck of the woods they are few and far between in good condition. Ownership of one of these cars is a long-term goal, it's worth waiting to find one more or less how you want it. If that's this summer or four years from now- so be it. My 2007 Impala serves my day to day purposes well and has given me over 55k miles so far of unimpeachable service and I have no plans to get rid of it, period. Despite the bad rap it gets, it really is honest, dependable, and economical.

My future car (and life) plans revolve around my university graduation in Fall 2012. Throughout my time in college, living at home, minimizing my spending, working full time during the summer and the occasional scholarship has enabled me to amass quite a nice nest egg. The idea is that not that long thereafter graduation I should be able to put 25% down on a mortgage and get a place of my own. It is at or around this point that I will be looking at a new car although I will probably keep the Impala around as by this point it's not going to be worth much, I really like it, and it's paid off, it will just be time for something different.

So in fall 2013 I will be looking at the model year clear-outs to choose between one of these three cars and get myself a good deal.

- Buick Verano w. Convenience Group

- Chevy Cruze LTZ

- Chevy Malibu LT

Especially seeing as I'm looking at keeping the Impala I have no desire to have two big cars. Mainly concerned with something smaller and more economical that will last a long time and not give me a lot of trouble so I can feed my car hobby. That means something new(er) with a warranty that can be had well-equipped for under 27k MSRP, although I don't anticipate paying quite that much all told. I tend to prefer sedans

I always wanted a 75 Caprice convertible...

We had neighbors who had a 75 Caprice ragtop...old days....

I've always wanted a convertible ... and the '75 Caprice ... just looks good to me. *shrugs* Saw this one at a car show/cruise night in the Pittsburgh PA area a number of years ago now:

75capriceconvrt.jpg

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

* Radio.HolidayCDshowcase | 12.24.2011 | Noon-4p.CENTRAL | www.wrmn1410.com *

"The children want to know why we hung the mistletoe" __ Ronnie Milsap __ 'It's Christmas'

Regal is my favorite car right now, but there is no chance at it unless i can manage a cheap lease, and even then i would want a Regal turbo stick. I'd prob be all over a Verano if it wasn't so sedate and if it had the 3 door astra version here.

Cruze LS manual or Eco manual may be in the cards too.

Thought in some way a new Focus many turn me on but more and more the new Focus looks egglike and bland to me even though the interior is fantastic.

In general I am finding that to get something larger than my balt right now would be nice. But not so large. Cruzes and Focii are just a bit smaller than would be useful to me although i like them that size in a daily driver sense.

Of course i would love to sell myself a new Kizashi and I might at some point. It is the perfect size. Currently there is a nice preowned on the table I could go for, perhaps yet this month. Really want one new with more options and probably a stick though. Thing is, I love the car and it would make me very satisified. It's so fun to drive!!!! I wish there was a Kizashi crossover the same size, just a bit taller and with a hatch.

Others being considered right now, a Mazda6 manual and even the new Mazda CX-5 manual coming out. Outlander Sport as well.

A new Taurus would be nice but its a bit large and bunker like and its pretty spendy. An 012 Impala with the 3.6 is a great value but honestly the 013 Malibu looks just about right for what I'd want, too.

There is so much nice iron.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 2

The Cruze is a fantastic car, having owned a Cobalt and a Cruze myself. If a compact sedan were truly what I wanted, Cruze would be it. Jetta's nice, too. The Focus is, imo, overwrought and pricy for the class.

The CX-5 looks great and sounds like the sportiest compact CUV available... remember though, the stickshift is only available on the FWD, not the AWD version.

• Agree 1

I rented a 2011 F-150 Crew Cab for the weekend to do some haulin. It has me thinking about a truck again. This truck is too big to get around comfortably in my driveway though, as much as I liked it. The Avalanche is 22 inches shorter and I could really feel the difference.

The Cruze is a fantastic car, having owned a Cobalt and a Cruze myself. If a compact sedan were truly what I wanted, Cruze would be it. Jetta's nice, too. The Focus is, imo, overwrought and pricy for the class.

The CX-5 looks great and sounds like the sportiest compact CUV available... remember though, the stickshift is only available on the FWD, not the AWD version.

we stick drivers know that the sacrifice for tugging the stick is losing the AWD :)\

saves weight though. Early indications are the CX5 is just a tall car. Which is exactly what i want eventially.

I sort of agree to a point about the focus being overwrought. its funy how the car can be so overwrought and so bland at the same time. Its like contour 2.0. I saw that $h! back in 96.....

deal might get done on my zashi this week. its not new but it will be an upgrade over my cobalt, it's the perfect size. I wish more folks got some seat time in the thing......anything would be an upgrade over the Cobalt. even a Mahindra........

regarding Drew's comment about the trucks. I had the chance to run a nice Ram through the mill this past week.. I can't believe how nice trucks have gotten. I would even consider the Ram in a big way if I were truck shopping. One of my BFF's has a newer Ram, now i know why he opened the checkbook on it.

The US is still a truck nation......

Edited by regfootball

I rented a 2011 F-150 Crew Cab for the weekend to do some haulin. It has me thinking about a truck again. This truck is too big to get around comfortably in my driveway though, as much as I liked it. The Avalanche is 22 inches shorter and I could really feel the difference.

The feedback we get on the new F-150's is overwhelming to the good, and the ecoboost ones especially. They really are the cats meow....if you can afford em. Thing is, the base v6 even is amazing compared to trucks 5-10 years ago.

Trucks don't lose much value. Maybe Albert's money is better spent on a truck soon...?

Well, right around when we get ready for a second kid, we'll need to replace the wife's car, which may well be over 160k at that point (it's at 142k now). And since we're pretty heavy roadtrippers throughout the year (average four trips from GA to VA), we'll need extra space for all the little kid gear. Sad to say, but it looks like we'll be looking for the M-word.

I wanted an SUV, but Amy will have none of it... can't blame her since it would be her daily driver.

On the other hand, the Bonneville is pretty much paid off, and in three years I've put 43k on it. Replacing the Maxima is the first order of the day, but I wouldn't mind getting into something RWD if I could swing it. No idea what, though.

Wagon is the word while the kids are still small. Subaru, Volvo, Flex, A4, Passat or Jetta.

If you do go minivan, the new Quest is actually very handsome for a minivan.

I like the Quest. Not sure when/if we could get into a current-generation model, but I do like it.

Agree with the wagon idea. I'd drive one myself if I could find one I liked and could easily afford any repairs (huge knock on VWAG right there). Problem is, I seriously doubt my wife would want it for herself.

Glad someone else doesn't like the Focus. We looked at it and I hated the dash and the seating position...but to listen to everyone you'd think the car was the second coming of Elvis or something...

I might look into trading the Challenger down for a Magnum next month. It all depends on how much I can cut the payment and term down to.

Be careful...the Challenger is a really reliable car....

Wagon is the word while the kids are still small. Subaru, Volvo, Flex, A4, Passat or Jetta.

If you do go minivan, the new Quest is actually very handsome for a minivan.

I like the way you think, sir....Jetta, Flex, volvo, A4 wagon....Subies...all right up my alley!

Jacket, I predict you won't save enough to make it worth it. Used car loans are higher interest and shorter terms, which might wipe out any savings in muntly payments.

Exactly...my son might well be buying our Scion off of us, and we've been looking at Camaro's, GTI's, C30's. and Mustangs...with the occasional Challenger thrown in. With good credit it's actually cheaper for me to buy a used 2011 at 20-21k than a 2007 or 2008 at 15-17K...amazing but true.