An airline ticket to nowhere...

GMTruckGuy74

Okay, so earlier this year my wife was testing her employer's online travel site and "accidentally" booked an AirTrans airlines ticket. Of course she had to pay for it and it hasn't been used to date (we should have figured out how to use it when we went to Walt Disney World in May, but she went through a travel agent). I was going to use it to fly to the NAIAS in Detroit in January, but recently learned that the ticket expires December 31. It's roughly a $120 ticket, so it's not like the family can take a trip anywhere, it's really a one-person trip.

So I was thinking, a'la Yes Man with Jim Carey, where can I fly round trip to for a day, that would be worthwhile? I was thinking of going to Detroit and visiting the RenCen, since it is GM's headquarters and the GM Showroom and GM Wintergarden are there. Has anyone else been to the RenCen? What else can one do there? Can a day be spent there doing anything else GM-related, other than the Showroom?

Any other suggestions for what I could do with this airline ticket? It would likely be used on Friday, November 25, or reserved for Christmas week since my employer is closed then.

Sale fares* between Atlantic City and:

Akron/Canton = $176

Atlanta = $134

Bloomington/Normal = $162

Branson = $199

Charlotte = $115

Chicago (Midway) = $125

Columbus = $115

Dayton = $125

Denver = $179

Detroit = $176

Flint = $186

Ft. Lauderdale = $144

Ft. Myers = $159

Houston (Hobby) = $163

Indianapolis = $153

Jacksonville = $123

Kansas City = $166

Key West = $184

Las Vegas = $199

Los Angeles (LAX) = $199

Memphis = $135

Milwaukee = $160

Minneapolis/St. Paul = $195

New Orleans = $146

Orlando = $125

Pensacola/Gulf Coast = $186

Phoenix = $151

Raleigh/Durham = $124

San Antonio = $167

San Francisco = $199

Sarasota/Bradenton = $140

Seattle = $190

St. Louis = $105

Tampa = $132

West Palm Beach = $135

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Sale fares* between Philadelphia and:

Akron/Canton = $179

Atlanta = $163

Bloomington/Normal = $152

Branson = $199

Charlotte = $105

Chicago (Midway) = $138

Columbus = $91

Dayton = $124

Denver = $129

Detroit = $166

Flint = $155

Ft. Lauderdale = $89

Ft. Myers = $132

Houston (Hobby) = $133

Indianapolis = $117

Jacksonville = $106

Kansas City = $174

Key West = $175

Las Vegas = $192

Los Angeles (LAX) = $164

Memphis = $125

Milwaukee = $136

Minneapolis/St. Paul = $129

New Orleans = $148

Orlando = $109

Pensacola/Gulf Coast = $182

Phoenix = $157

Raleigh/Durham = $79

San Antonio = $117

San Francisco = $150

Sarasota/Bradenton = $133

Seattle = $167

St. Louis = $111

Tampa = $117

West Palm Beach = $116

Wichita = $199

Lots of options.

If it were me, I'd take into account how far I want to travel (2hr flight vs 4hr flight) and if I'd been to the location before or not, and whether you want to stay a night or two or do it in one day (shorter trip).

From the East Coast, I'd consider S. Florida for the weather in the winter, Memphis for the food and music scene...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I'd be careful about booking via ACY so close to the end of the year. AirTrans is leaving Atlantic City International around that time, and has been a real PITA about were flights can be booked, as I have a family member who had return trip ticket issues with them for late Dec/early Jan.

• 2 weeks later...