Giving Thanks For Car Spots

ocnblu

We should all have something to be thankful for this munt. Turkey and cranberry sauce are one thing (apologies to our Canadian friends), but spotting something unusual in the automotive landscape is truly something to be thankful for. Post away, and please pass the green bean casserole, will ya?

At the gas pump beside me, I saw a JDM Datsun pickup that I've determined through Google search to be a Datsun 620. It had those strange fender-mounted rear view mirrors and right-hand-drive, and was also white like this picture...

The thing looked so tiny, especially when the 6' tall driver climbed back inside. He had some kind of upgraded exhaust system fitted, and it sounded like a sporty motorcycle when he pulled off.Datsun_620_truck.jpg

• Agree 1

This past weekend when I was scoping out vehicles, I happened across an "Autumn Metallic" 2012 Cruze, new on the lot, it was sort of a red maple leaf colour. Never knew it existed, maybe it's a recent release after the earthquake/tsunami problem in Japon disrupted paint pigment production.

At the gas pump beside me, I saw a JDM Datsun pickup that I've determined through Google search to be a Datsun 620. It had those strange fender-mounted rear view mirrors and right-hand-drive, and was also white like this picture...

The thing looked so tiny, especially when the 6' tall driver climbed back inside. He had some kind of upgraded exhaust system fitted, and it sounded like a sporty motorcycle when he pulled off.Datsun_620_truck.jpg

That style Datsun pickup was sold in the US in RHD form in the '70s..they had a trim level called the 'Lil Hustler'...haven't seen one in a long time.

had a good day yesterday. white ZR1, Buick Regal T-Type (driven by a complete and utter douche), Ferrari 360 CS (!!), '69 Chevy Malibu, mid-70's AMC Hornet.

I thumbs-upped the Corvette and Ferrari, the Vette driver waved back, and the Fezza driver pointed back and smiled.

Had some beautiful fall weather here today--65 and sunny..went out for a few hours this afternoon rolling around in the '91 Merc 300CE, sunroof open, windows all down for the hardtop effect....

Saw a gorgeous black & red '12 Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca, a new Camaro in a dark berry red color I didn't recognize, and not 1 but 3 CTS-Vs.... saw a solid, primered and very rumbly '69 Chevelle.. saw a clean black '69 Impala Custom Coupe.

Counted 25 Priuses, 4 Insights, and 1 Leaf.. :(

A blast from my past, our old 1994 Pontiac Trans Sport van that was sold in 1999. Stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and it makes its way into the lane in front of me. Immediately noticed the dealer sticker in the bottom left of the hatch and the small notch on the bottom of the back bumper that my dad caused by backing over a rock like fifteen years ago. I guess those old 3800 U-Bodies just go forever. I ran a Carfax on the VIN number from the old service records and found it was last re-registered with over 350'000km on it. Go figure.

A blast from my past, our old 1994 Pontiac Trans Sport van that was sold in 1999. Stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and it makes its way into the lane in front of me. Immediately noticed the dealer sticker in the bottom left of the hatch and the small notch on the bottom of the back bumper that my dad caused by backing over a rock like fifteen years ago. I guess those old 3800 U-Bodies just go forever. I ran a Carfax on the VIN number from the old service records and found it was last re-registered with over 350'000km on it. Go figure.

This reminds me...a couple years ago I was in Colorado Springs and am pretty sure I saw my '88 Bronco II that I traded in '00. Still had some of the same dents I that I remember putting on it, and the Ohio/MIchigan rust spots..amazing to see it still on the road.

LOL, reminds me of a car I recommended for a friend about 14 years ago... a 6 cyl Mustang with Oldsmobile hubcaps... the Olds badges had little squirts of silver paint to hide them... so the car was very distinctive.

The car ran great, and back then a cheap, good running Mustang was hard to find. Unfortunately, after about 8 months, the computer control system crapped out, and at the time, I was unable to properly diagnose it. It was taken to the nearest thieving mechanic and they convinced the owner that the engine was shot and the car was worthless and offered $100 for it. I cried foul and recommended a second opinion, but they took the $100 and bought a new car that would be repossessed in its first year due to it simply not being affordable.

Two weeks later, the car was running beautifully and started parking in the same lot I parked in for work. The car would be seen constantly in Atlantic City for a decade. One of the last times I had seen it parked by me, I peeked at the odo and it had something like 150K more than the last time my friend had it... but it had the same Olds hubcaps.

Had some beautiful fall weather here today--65 and sunny..went out for a few hours this afternoon rolling around in the '91 Merc 300CE, sunroof open, windows all down for the hardtop effect....

Saw a gorgeous black & red '12 Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca, a new Camaro in a dark berry red color I didn't recognize, and not 1 but 3 CTS-Vs.... saw a solid, primered and very rumbly '69 Chevelle.. saw a clean black '69 Impala Custom Coupe.

Counted 25 Priuses, 4 Insights, and 1 Leaf.. :(

If I tried to count the Priuses (Prii?) I see everyday, I think my head would explode. jealous that you got to see a Boss Seca. I've seen a few new Boss 302's but not one of those yet.

'65 Impala 2-dr hardtop, 283 car, medium blue, bench/auto, interior rough, rear quarters rough, otherwise very decent, sign claimed it ran & drove, asking $2K but no title. For me, that drops it right down to $500, as I'd be buying a car illegally (can't sell in NJ without a title). Cleaned up it'd be a good flip candidate (at $500, not at $2K).

A few recent sightings: A Enterprise-special Chevrolet Captiva, a Jag with license plates "BRG XK8" (I assume the color of the car was British Racing Green, but I couldn't tell because it was dark), a red Hyundai Veloster (very nice-looking in person), and a white Sonic sedan.

Its been something like 20 years since Phila renumbered the exits on the Schuylkill... and I'm still not used to it. I know exactly where that photo was taken, but "Exit 343" gave me a WTF moment.

Ah, yes. And having moved to Philly in March, it wasn't until just NOW I even knew of such a thing...taking a closer look at that picture. Interesting.

Saw a Hyundai Veloster the other day. I didn't even know there was a production version of it.

These look very, very cool in person with great presence. Spotted another black one yesterday.

Ah, yes. And having moved to Philly in March, it wasn't until just NOW I even knew of such a thing...taking a closer look at that picture. Interesting.

Looks like I'm off on the 20 years... its been only 10 years. Nonetheless, I'm surprised Phila still has the little "old exit" signs. But then again, NYC puts little signs up signifying that new traffic signs are New. But in 6 years of watching the NYCDOT in action, it seems these little 'New' signs never come down.

I'm still waiting to see the NJ Turnpike renumber its exits.

Edited by SAmadei

Its been something like 20 years since Phila renumbered the exits on the Schuylkill... and I'm still not used to it. I know exactly where that photo was taken, but "Exit 343" gave me a WTF moment.

Saw a Hyundai Veloster the other day. I didn't even know there was a production version of it.

These look very, very cool in person with great presence. Spotted another black one yesterday.

A red Veloster pulled up opposite me at an intersection the other day. I couldn't quite make out what it was until I passed it--this car looks very different in person. The rear is still a bit overdone for me, but I tend to like simpler designs. The front is much better in person. And the shade of red looked great.

Also, I've been seeing new Civic sedans all over. Very few coupes though.

Immaculate pearl white '99 Honda Prelude. I don't see many of these as there aren't many anyway. New customer of mine who decided it's time for a new car...if I can get him a 6-spd manual 2012 Acura TL...must row his own gears...somehow in the next few months.

Preludes were quite a ride.

IMG_20111121_093608.jpg

Saw this Chevy TrailBlazer this morning with odd looking license plates... sorry I couldn't get any closer for the picture, he started taking off right when I snapped the shot. Any idea where those plates are from?

The blue section on the left makes me think an EU country..not sure about the yellow on the right or the wide spacing between letters.

Saw an unusual local plate over the weekend--a silver late model DTS with a 3 letter AZ plate...something like 'ZWS'. I would think a 3 letter plate would be hard to get. Also saw an A8 with Swiss embassy plates at Wal-Mart last week.

Nice '87 Cutlass Supreme coupe, silver. Nice '64 Valiant 2-door post sedan, maroon, bone stock. Late 70's Buick Skylark X-body RWD sedan, beige, totally stock with young guy driving, rapping along to his tunage.

Drove up to Doylestown for the first time late yesterday, to check out dealerships in the area a friend used to work for.

At the Toyota/Scion lot, a car I had seen online before, and still there...2009.5 (signified by vin) bone stock Sport Red G8 GT with just over 5k miles. Wonder what they traded for. Beautiful car, had it been Pacific Slate instead...well...

IMG_0814.jpg

Then next door a few new Lexus CT200H hatchback things...never have seen one in person until now. Interesting small hatch, Hybrid or otherwise, and apparently one that does not sell at all despite being new.

Oh Derek... why would you post that beauty? Like you, my favorite color is Pacific Slate Metallic, followed by the Sport Red Metallic - however I would take either color in a heartbeat! Of course I had to see what they are asking for that beautiful, low-mileage Pontiac:

http://www.1800thompson.com/used/Pontiac/2009-Pontiac-G8-4b7e18940a0a0064006b74c8946db27b.htm?useHistory=true#

Unfortunately, a little way out of my range (and yes, I would consider getting rid of the Envoy for a 2009.5 G8 GT Sedan ;) )

Oh Derek... why would you post that beauty? Like you, my favorite color is Pacific Slate Metallic, followed by the Sport Red Metallic - however I would take either color in a heartbeat! Of course I had to see what they are asking for that beautiful, low-mileage Pontiac:

http://www.1800thomp...seHistory=true#

Unfortunately, a little way out of my range (and yes, I would consider getting rid of the Envoy for a 2009.5 G8 GT Sedan ;) )

I know. If only it were not Sport Red, I almost would consider an accelerated way out of the Mazda. Hmm.

Drove up there Sunday night. The Mercedes dealer across the street is insane...palace doesn't even begin to describe it. The Toyota dealer has had the G8 GT for a while now, I remember seeing it on an Ebay ad several months back. They certainly have not dropped in price...an impressive feat.