Guess Who Coming To Chevrolet's Lineup? The Spark

William Maley

Guess Who Coming To Chevrolet's Lineup? The Spark

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

October 12, 2011

post-10485-0-21321600-1318441349.png

Today, Chevrolet announced the Spark will be coming ashore sometime next year as a 2013 model. The Spark will come as a five door model with a 1.2L four-cylinder engine that delivers 83 horsepower. A five speed manual transmission will be standard, while an automatic will be optional.

We'll learn more about the Spark next month, when it debuts at the LA Auto Show.

Press Release is Below

Spark Joins Chevrolet’s U.S. Small Car Lineup in 2012

2011-10-12 - DETROIT – Chevrolet hopes to excite first-time buyers and city residents when the Spark mini car joins the brand’s small car family next year in the United States and Canada. The Spark is a five-door, four-passenger hatch that is on sale in Chevrolet markets around the world.

“For young, urban dwellers, the 2013 Chevrolet Spark can be their key to the city,” said Chris Perry, vice president, global Chevrolet marketing and strategy. “Spark’s vibrant exterior and interior colors make a statement, but it is a practical car, too. Affordable, maneuverable and very fuel-efficient, Spark will be easy to own and easy to drive.”

More details about the Spark, the smallest Chevrolet in the U.S. and Canadian lineups, will be unveiled next month at the Los Angeles International Auto Show. The first version of the Spark is being sold in Europe, Korea, India, Mexico, South America and Australia.

The Chevrolet Spark is 14 inches shorter than the recently launched Chevrolet Sonic. It’s three feet longer than the Smart Fortwo and four inches longer than the Fiat 500. In the United States and Canada, the Spark will be powered by a 1.2L four-cylinder engine that delivers 83 horsepower (61 kW). The standard transmission is a five-speed manual. An automatic transmission will be available.

The Spark will offer more interior room than other mini cars, and it will be the only car in the segment to provide standard benefits such as a five-year, 100,000-mile powertrain warranty and the safety and security of OnStar.

Available packages include uplevel features such as color touch screen radio; Chevrolet MyLink infotainment connectivity with Pandora and Stitcher internet radio; Bluetooth; exterior enhancements such as chrome accents; heated leatherette seats and alloy wheels.

The Spark was originally seen as the Chevrolet Beat concept at the 2007 New York Auto Show. Show goers and online fans chose the Beat over two other concepts, and it was developed into an updated version of the Spark that will come to the United States and Canada.

This has to be for CAFE right?

Doubtful. It's unlikely to get much better fuel economy than a Cruze. This is really the Aveo replacement for those insist on a new car but don't want to spend more than $9,999.

But if it's half the price of the Cruze it will appeal to a different set of buyers, who can't afford a Cruze or don't want to spend that much on a vehicle.

So yes, it will help CAFE.

But... the rear door handles are HIDDEN, so it looks like a sporty 2-door! oh, who am I kidding... blah.

I do like the idea of the loops on the roof for a carrying strap, so when you get to where you're going you can just put the strap on and throw it over your shoulder. No time wasted looking for parking.

Edited by ocnblu

Well, it bears repeating - some folks are slow on the uptake.

Like those pushing CAFE, and those who approved this pile.

Chevy is a global brand. Cars this size sell well now outside the US, and once the new CAFE regs are in place, will sell well in the US...think 5 years from now, not today. The market is evolving. GM can't keep it's head in the sand and keep pushing 6000lb trucks, they have to evolve to meet evolving market conditions..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

I think it will sell OK. I wouldn't buy one but I'm sure it appeals to the type of people that would buy a smart car or fiat 500. It doesn't seem like a penalty box.

I don't think it gets cross shopped with the Smart, Fiat or Mini... its not a coupe and its not unique. It looks like ripped off Asian styling and too many doors.

Who, besides Wee-Man and/or Kate Moss is going to get into those back doors? And how reassuring is it to sit up against the back of a vehicle... you can look out the rear window and look eye to eye at the SUV bumper a foot away.

Maybe Cadillac will build a production version of the ULC off of the Spark...imagine it with sharp creases, the big eggcrate grille and vertical taillights..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

God, GM makes you people the Camaro, they stuff 6.2L engines into their trucks, they build you massive SUV's, let you purchase a luxury sedan that does 0-60 in 3.9 seconds... essentially build you anything, and everything you could possibly want, save for a car with a truck bed.

And you complain about a small car which will allow them to continue building those vehicles, which you probably cannot afford anyways. God.

• Agree 3

God, GM makes you people the Camaro, they stuff 6.2L engines into their trucks, they build you massive SUV's, let you purchase a luxury sedan that does 0-60 in 3.9 seconds... essentially build you anything, and everything you could possibly want, save for a car with a truck bed.

And you complain about a small car which will allow them to continue building those vehicles, which you probably cannot afford anyways. God.

Some people bitch and moan about anything outside of their narrow interest range..

Tiny cars are perfect in densely populated cities.

It's not the concept; it's the execution. Chevy has had some serious design misses lately and this is one of them.

• Agree 3

We complain about the car because it is awful.

As for the rest, the choice of Camaro or Camaro isn't much of a choice.

Awful? Based on what? Compared to what? Is it any more awful than a Scion x.D/xB or Smart? I can think of vehicles that are far more awful like the Vega, Chevette, Nova and Metro. The Spark offers a compelling mix of amenities and economy that will appeal to young people and those who want a small, high-MPG city car.

Very few vehicles in North America occupy the niche that the Spark will. GM is ahead of the curve on this one. I'm not the biggest fan of its design, but I can see a lot of people having a more positive opinion.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I still think they chose the wrong design, the Chevy Trax was far better looking. I still don't know how that contest worked out.

Who knows, maybe the Trax styling cues will show up eventually on a CUV version of the Spark.

Who knows..the subcompact (B-segment) niche is hot in the US currently, maybe the subsubcompact A-segment will take off, and the Spark will have some competition...maybe Ford will come up with a 5dr Ka, Kia bring over the Picanto, Hyundai the i10, the VW Up!, etc..

Then how about the A-segment premium market--so far Mini owns that in NA, but I could see the Audi A1, Merc A-class, BMW 0 series, a Cadillac version of the Spark, the Aston Martin Cygnet, etc...

Awful? Based on what? Compared to what? Is it any more awful than a Scion x.D/xB or Smart? I can think of vehicles that are far more awful like the Vega, Chevette, Nova and Metro. The Spark offers a compelling mix of amenities and economy that will appeal to young people and those who want a small, high-MPG city car.

Very few vehicles in North America occupy the niche that the Spark will. GM is ahead of the curve on this one. I'm not the biggest fan of its design, but I can see a lot of people having a more positive opinion.

I just want a rear wheel drive car I can stretch out in comfortably that does not require jungle-gym practice to climb in and out of.

The Vega, Chevette and Smart fit this better than the Spark.

You really think a smart is going to be roomier than the Spark?

And I'd like to say this about the massive headlights: they serve a purpose, there would be a ridiculous amount of dead space without them. A part of me wonders if the complaints about them are just thinly veiled cries for the return of sealed-beam headlights.

• Agree 2

Stop bitching about mass market cars that pay the bills unless you want to see GM end up in bankruptcy court again. THESE ARE THE CARS THAT MAKE THE EXCITING CARS POSSIBLE.

GM is STILL in rebuild mode. We know there is more stuff coming.

• Agree 2

Have you seen its predecessor?

Daewoo_Matiz002.jpg

No, the new Spark isn't up there with the likes of the MINI or Fiat 500, but at least it's now a perfectly decent way to get from A-to-B. It's great that GM is now offering the US a car for those shopping in this segment.

Edited by pow

Daewoo_Matiz002.jpg

No, the new Spark isn't up there with the likes of the MINI or Fiat 500, but at least it's now a perfectly decent way to get from A-to-B. It's great that GM is now offering the US a car for those shopping in this segment.

Too bad Mexico's Pontiac G2 version didn't make it to the US...would have provided much needed Excitement!!! to the segment.

You really think a smart is going to be roomier than the Spark?

If you think a Smart is less roomy, you are sadly mistaken and should check out a Smart sometime. I have. The Smart is roomier than the Mini Cooper. And while the Smart is a bit narrow, at least you don't have have a huge console between the seats, like many other offerings. The Smart is an impressive piece of engineering, unfortunately lambasted because the US version got that awful Mitsu engine and the gruesomely awful transmission.

I highly doubt, after adding a set of rear doors and rear seats that the Spark will have more front seat room than the Mini Cooper, as the Mini is impressive in its own right.

I will gladly try out a Spark once one is available, but I will require some volunteers with the Jaws of Life on standby. It will likely be as big of a disaster as trying out the Solstice Coupe was.

Actually, I think the predecessor looked better. Its cute like the original Neon and has a non-gimmicky set of doors that I would venture many people (not me) could use.

The new Spark was better as a coupe. At least a coupe goes with the aggressive front. The aggressive front on this car promises things it can't deliver... but that is a sin many other cars also suffer from, but in lessor quantities.

Speaking of those big lights... I think the big lights contribute to making the car look stubbier than it really is. The Mini doesn't need those gimmicky lights.

Of course, now Daewoo needs to get its tail in gear and make a car to compete with the Tata Nano... which, honestly, I find more attractive and more practical than the Spark, even if I can't fit/drive in either.

I think it will sell OK. I wouldn't buy one but I'm sure it appeals to the type of people that would buy a smart car or fiat 500. It doesn't seem like a penalty box.

I don't think it gets cross shopped with the Smart, Fiat or Mini... its not a coupe and its not unique. It looks like ripped off Asian styling and too many doors.

Who, besides Wee-Man and/or Kate Moss is going to get into those back doors? And how reassuring is it to sit up against the back of a vehicle... you can look out the rear window and look eye to eye at the SUV bumper a foot away.

It doesn't have the style of the mini but its much more attractive than a smart car. I think this car will appeal to people that think Smart cars cost too much. Only time will tell.

It doesn't have the style of the mini but its much more attractive than a smart car. I think this car will appeal to people that think Smart cars cost too much. Only time will tell.

Smart car is $12K. I doubt the Spark will undercut that. Adding a faux backseat does not make the Spark a better deal... in fact, city car to city car, smaller is better.