Price of used cars...

A Horse With No Name

Supply and demand, I think..demand is outstripping supply for affordable used cars..

Where I am at, I noticed a bit of a bubble starting a few weeks ago. I think things have topped out some. The mfr's have been getting a little desperate to move new stuff too.

Trades even, we've had to back off slightly so as not to overpay.

As mentioned, credit and money flow is the real issue. A lot of folks can only afford payments on used. Everyone is hanging on to their cars. And no one has confidence to take loans even if they can get one.

Never.

Like everything else, prices are up, and going to stay that way. I just saw a 05 Cavalier base sedan w/77k going for 7995. No joke.

Large trucks (like the trailblazer) have dropped a bit, but small cars keep going up....And with small cars making large jumps in price in the last few years, expect the used car prices to do the same.

Sorry about the bad news...

I believe that in the latest Truck Trend issue there was a small news blurb about the rising costs of used pickup truck and SUV prices due to the fact very few were leased 2007-2010, which tends to flood the market with low-mileage used vehicles 2-4 years later. So in that case demand is far higher than supply = higher pre-owned market prices. I would imagine this applies to cars as well.

I believe that in the latest Truck Trend issue there was a small news blurb about the rising costs of used pickup truck and SUV prices due to the fact very few were leased 2007-2010, which tends to flood the market with low-mileage used vehicles 2-4 years later. So in that case demand is far higher than supply = higher pre-owned market prices. I would imagine this applies to cars as well.

Here in Ohio I live in a community that borders urban and rural...the rural people need trucks for work, and the urban people are all hauling families around...and doing lots of business.

In the last two weeks, we've blown a motor in a Ford truck, lost a Diff in a truck with 200 plus K on it, and had major motor issues with another truck. We need to buy more trucks, and we like to buy used. Used truck prices for clean used work trucks are just out of site and off the planet.

As are parts...all the salvage yards here in Ohio want a couple grand for a low mile motor for a V 6 Econoline...

Amazing...trucks owned by people in my sons scout troup...couldn't give the damn things away two years ago...now some of them are worth what people paid two and three years ago...

Yesterday I did a search on both Craigslist and at AutoShopper.com for '95 and '96 Oldsmobile Ciera's and was shocked at the selling price they are going for!!

My buddy with the body shop is getting big dollars for cars he used to be unable to give away...ninteites cavaliers that towing companies pretty much just crushed rather than worry about...he's fixing and getting good money from.

Everything seems to be getting higher in price.

Hmm, this makes me wanna dump the Passat for a new Focus. Wonder how much a 100K mi dub with dents and/or scratches on every panel goes for...

Agreed, new focus is sweet...and the price of used cars...ohmygod!

Unbelievable, the prices being asked for used Wranglers...

One wonders if the stupidity will never end....

This thread prompted me to check out what our cars are worth. The Mini, even with a ton of miles, is still worth 2/3 of the original purchase price. The TDI hasn't fared quote at well,losing 40%. But its paid off, thanks to C4C and the awesome trade-in of the Prius, we only had to finance like $4k.

This thread prompted me to check out what our cars are worth. The Mini, even with a ton of miles, is still worth 2/3 of the original purchase price. The TDI hasn't fared quote at well,losing 40%. But its paid off, thanks to C4C and the awesome trade-in of the Prius, we only had to finance like $4k.

Nice!