Cadillac's Converj Becomes The ELR

William Maley

Electric Concept Car Comes to Life as Cadillac ELR

Luxury touring coupe gets extended-range electric vehicle technology

post-10485-0-52469600-1313614611.png

Cadillac ELR

Related: Rumorpile: GM Resurrects The Cadillac Converj

DETROIT – The innovative Cadillac Converj Concept, a dramatic luxury coupe with extended-range electric vehicle technology, is moving forward as a production car that will be called the Cadillac ELR.

Development of the ELR is just underway, so details on performance, price and timing will be announced later.

The Cadillac ELR will feature an electric propulsion system made up of a T-shaped lithium ion battery, an electric drive unit, and a four-cylinder engine-generator. It uses electricity as its primary source to drive the car without using gasoline or producing tailpipe emissions. When the battery’s energy is low, the ELR seamlessly switches to extended-range mode to enable driving for hundreds of additional miles.

“The concept generated instant enthusiasm,” said Don Butler, vice president-Cadillac Marketing. “Like other milestone Cadillac models of the past, the ELR will offer something not otherwise present – the combination of electric propulsion with striking design and the fun of luxury coupe driving.”

Cadillac selected the name ELR to indicate the car’s electric propulsion technology, in keeping with the brand’s 3-letter international model naming convention.

The Converj Concept sparked the idea of combining the desirability of a grand touring coupe with electrification, said Ed Welburn, GM vice president, Global Design.

“There’s no mistaking it for anything but a Cadillac, an aggressive, forward-leaning profile and proportion showcases a uniquely shaped, modern vision of a personal luxury 2+2,” Welburn said.

Cadillac will reveal another new concept car on Thursday, Aug. 18, at a special event prior to the annual Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Cadillac also recently announced it will add two new vehicles to its product lineup in 2012, the XTS large luxury sedan and an all-new luxury compact sedan codenamed ATS.

Cadillac will reveal another new concept car on Thursday, Aug. 18, at a special event prior to the annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.

This is the most important information. What??? :deathwatch:

Concours is fast becoming introduction of higher end luxury marques, Caddy is doing the right thing. I wonder if it is ATS "concept" or super Caddy.

Cadillac will reveal another new concept car on Thursday, Aug. 18, at a special event prior to the annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.

This is the most important information. What??? :deathwatch:

Concours is fast becoming introduction of higher end luxury marques, Caddy is doing the right thing. I wonder if it is ATS "concept" or super Caddy.

Good catch, wonder if any embargo on press releases and press photos ends tonight at midnight EST as is pretty customary at auto shows?

I wonder if the new concept car will be a hybrid compact hatchback? Something to compete w/ the Lexus CT...or a V-series version of the tiny 2dr microcar that was shown a while back (a Spark based city car, maybe?)

If XLR is a rear drive convertible, why is XTS a FWD sedan and why is ELR a 2-door hard top. These names don't make any sense, but Cadillac doesn't always plan things out too well.

Another slow front drive, anti-performance car for a brand that keeps saying they want to compete with BMW and Mercedes. The Volt's top speed is 100 mph, I assume this will be the same. And here is why Cadillac, Lexus, Lincoln, Acura etc all trail the Germans. Their cars for the most part are made to not go above 100 mph, they are engineered to not do anything more than run of the mill everyday driving. Mercedes engineers their cars to travel smoothly at 150 mph, thus their chassis are so solid. The American and Japanese luxury brands don't strive for that high standard, they are satisfied with mid-level, and that is why they are chasers, not leaders.

• Agree 1

Why is it a coupe?

Because the Honda CRZ proved that everyone wants a sport-hybrid coupe/hatch, and we need a $60k luxury version. Oh wait, no one buys the CRZ, or the Lexus CT200h or HS250h for that matter.

Edited by smk4565

If XLR is a rear drive convertible, why is XTS a FWD sedan and why is ELR a 2-door hard top. These names don't make any sense, but Cadillac doesn't always plan things out too well.

Another slow front drive, anti-performance car for a brand that keeps saying they want to compete with BMW and Mercedes. The Volt's top speed is 100 mph, I assume this will be the same. And here is why Cadillac, Lexus, Lincoln, Acura etc all trail the Germans. Their cars for the most part are made to not go above 100 mph, they are engineered to not do anything more than run of the mill everyday driving. Mercedes engineers their cars to travel smoothly at 150 mph, thus their chassis are so solid. The American and Japanese luxury brands don't strive for that high standard, they are satisfied with mid-level, and that is why they are chasers, not leaders.

*Ahem*

bmw-i3-221.jpg

I hope the styling stays close to the original To me it is the best looking Cadillac in years.

I would not get too excited about the name as if it is a good car and has great styling the name means little. Too many other letter and number cars have proven to be great sellers even with the lack of a dramatic name.

I would wait for the specs as I do not expect the same Volt drivetrain to be in this car. There will be some changes that will make this car more appealing. Also I would expect this to be the first car with the 2nd gen or even 3rd gen improvements. In other words expect more range and better performance. GM can afford to do more with a higher list price.

BMW i3 is rear wheel drive. And that is a city car built for a different reason. The ELR isn't being built as an urban only car. ELR, like the XTS, Lincolns, Acuras, etc is built on a platform designed for $20-30k cars. Cruze, Fusion, and Accord platforms don't cut it against Mercedes, that is why those brands struggle. The luxury buyer demands more than what the mass market family sedan buyer demands.

Cadillac should electrify the ATS or CTS instead of making a Volt rebadge. Think about it, they want to ask CTS-V money for a FWD compact car. This car's interior better be Rolls-Royce level if they want that to succeed.

FWD or not, I think the ELR has hit writen all over it. As I said in another thread, if styling stays close to the Converj concept, it'll easily be the best looking electric car ever. So what if it can't set the Nurburgring on fire?

That i3 is laughable.

BMW i3 is rear wheel drive. And that is a city car built for a different reason. The ELR isn't being built as an urban only car. ELR, like the XTS, Lincolns, Acuras, etc is built on a platform designed for $20-30k cars. Cruze, Fusion, and Accord platforms don't cut it against Mercedes, that is why those brands struggle. The luxury buyer demands more than what the mass market family sedan buyer demands.

Cadillac should electrify the ATS or CTS instead of making a Volt rebadge. Think about it, they want to ask CTS-V money for a FWD compact car. This car's interior better be Rolls-Royce level if they want that to succeed.

Autoblog: BMW Confirms Plans for Front Wheel Drive Models

Inside Line: BMW Front Wheel Drive Prototype Spied

Apparently, the i3 is different from those and will be rear-engine, RWD like the Smart fourtwo...the i3 is evolution of the MegaCity concept. From what I've read, the FWD models will be the next gen 1 series 4drs and hatches (and maybe a 0 series below those), while the 2 series coupe and cabrio will be RWD.

Sounds like between the i sub-brand, the '0' series, the splitting of the 1 series into 1 and 2, BMW will be adding at least 1/2 dozen or more models in the next few years....and MB will probably add 1/2 dozen or more, filling in the various gaps and creating new niches (how about 2dr coupe CUVs? :)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Wow does this naming thing suck. A lot. Three letters to signify each and every Cadillac (except the Escalade). Someone needs to be fired. Seriously.

Personally, I would have kept the name Converj. The Escalade is something special (given its following) and this one is too (given its powertrain), so a non-3-letter name would fit perfectly.

What I find hilarious is that Cadillac has no issues throwing a 3-letter name into this car, yet the upcoming small sedan is still refered to as "codenamed ATS" :lol:

It's a nice design. However, on the power train front I hope Cadillac will do something different rather than rehash the Volt. The ELR should be more than a Volt in a new body shell and with more amenities. It should be something special.

If it's me, I'll make it a performance oriented Hybrid.

ELR Performance Hybrid power train

Type: Parallel Hybrid

Internal Combustion Engine: 1.4L DI VVT Miller-Cycle Turbo inline-4

Engine Power: 130 bhp @ 4600~5000 rpm

Engine Torque: 150 lb-ft @ 2500~4500 rpm

Maximum ICE RPM: 5000 rpm

Generator/Motor output: 55 kWe (74 bhp) @ 70 mph [Chevrolet Volt Generator/Motor]

Battery: 4kWh Li-Ion [1/4 Volt's Capacity; no plug-in charging]

Curb Weight: 3375 lbs

0-60 mph: 7.0 secs

Fuel Economy: 50 (City) / 50 (Hwy) mpg

It's the Ciel. Very cool large 4dr convertible concept.

Cadillac Ciel

:drool:

That thing is sick. It's half luxury, half gangsta. Hopefully it morphs into the RWD flagship that''s supposedly in the pipeline.

This car is special. It deserves a real name, and not some sort of 'acronym.' However, I'm thrilled to see this being slated for production.

^ Yeah, but we all "know" Cadillac sucks. ;)

What's mercedees' excuse; they've already produced this :

mercedes-b-class-8.jpg

Old news....

Yeah but so is the Cimarron, and Catera and we've yet to stop hearing about those vehicles in reviews, articles, blogs, comment sections, and certain C&G members' posts.

• Agree 3

Cadillac Ciel

That thing is sick. It's half luxury, half gangsta. Hopefully it morphs into the RWD flagship that''s supposedly in the pipeline.

11conceptciel015.jpg[

Love the design..esp. the front end and rear end. Now picture it with a roof, with a rear window pointed in the middle ala first gen Eldo...this design would be great for a flagship sedan and convertible above the XTS.

Cadillac Ciel

11conceptciel015.jpg[

Love the design..esp. the front end and rear end. Now picture it with a roof, with a rear window pointed in the middle ala first gen Eldo...this design would be great for a flagship sedan and convertible above the XTS.

Ahem.. Cadillac Takes A Trip In The Ciel Concept

Apparently, the i3 is different from those and will be rear-engine, RWD like the Smart fourtwo...the i3 is evolution of the MegaCity concept. From what I've read, the FWD models will be the next gen 1 series 4drs and hatches (and maybe a 0 series below those), while the 2 series coupe and cabrio will be RWD.

Sounds like between the i sub-brand, the '0' series, the splitting of the 1 series into 1 and 2, BMW will be adding at least 1/2 dozen or more models in the next few years....and MB will probably add 1/2 dozen or more, filling in the various gaps and creating new niches (how about 2dr coupe CUVs? :)

Yes, but this isn't about i3. This is about SMK's comments regarding a FWD platform built for $20-$30k cars that disallows Cadillac to compete with the Germans... Yet, there's BMW, readying FWD for the masses in that exact price range.

• Agree 3

Yes, but this isn't about i3. This is about SMK's comments regarding a FWD platform built for $20-$30k cars that disallows Cadillac to compete with the Germans... Yet, there's BMW, readying FWD for the masses in that exact price range.

No, there is a difference. Mercedes had the A-class and B-class that if sold here would be in the $20-30,000 range, basically being a luxury alternative to a Focus or Civic. BMW and Mercedes don't use that sort of platform on their $35,000+ cars, they use purpose built RWD platforms. This is where Acura, Lincoln, and some Lexus and Cadillac models fail. They want to use a platform and powertrain from a $25-30,000 sedan on a $50,000 luxury car. The Ford Fusion isn't made for 150 mph autobahn cruising or tearing up corners on the Nurburgring, nor should it be, that isn't its job. But when you turn that into a Lincoln and compare it to a Mercedes, that shortcoming is going to show up.

One of Lexus's top engineers was recently interviewed about the GS, and how Lexus took the current GS to Germany to compare to an E-class and 5-series. Lexus's own engineer admitted that at 115 mph the GS350 didn't feel stable and he was confident in driving any faster than that, and he said that their chassis was not as good and not as stiff as the Mercedes.

Cadillac wants to compete with the Germans, yet the CTS and ATS are the only cars even on the right track. The SRX, XTS, ELR, Escalade are not built for performance, they are built to the same standard as Chevrolets and Buicks. Lincoln, Acura, Lexus ES350, RX350 are all in the same boat. And some of those cars sell well, because some people don't care about performance and engineering. However none of those vehicles are the global standard.

And here is why Cadillac, Lexus, Lincoln, Acura etc all trail the Germans. Their cars for the most part are made to not go above 100 mph, they are engineered to not do anything more than run of the mill everyday driving. Mercedes engineers their cars to travel smoothly at 150 mph, thus their chassis are so solid. The American and Japanese luxury brands don't strive for that high standard, they are satisfied with mid-level, and that is why they are chasers, not leaders.

An entirely absurd (and incorrect) statement.

No, there is a difference. Mercedes had the A-class and B-class that if sold here would be in the $20-30,000 range, basically being a luxury alternative to a Focus or Civic.

There is absolutely nothing "luxury" about an A-Class. It's a cramped, underpowered, economy car with a fancy badge. It is NO better than a Cimmaron. The only engine in the A-class worth a damn is the 193hp 2.0 SOHC Turbo that gets 7.0 liters/100km. For comparison sake, the 2012 Opel Insignia 2.0T AWD with 220hp gets 7.6 liters/100km. Not much of a bump in fuel economy to get an A-class when you consider it has an 800lb advantage over the Insignia.

And here is why Cadillac, Lexus, Lincoln, Acura etc all trail the Germans. Their cars for the most part are made to not go above 100 mph, they are engineered to not do anything more than run of the mill everyday driving. Mercedes engineers their cars to travel smoothly at 150 mph, thus their chassis are so solid. The American and Japanese luxury brands don't strive for that high standard, they are satisfied with mid-level, and that is why they are chasers, not leaders.

An entirely absurd (and incorrect) statement.

CTS, STS, SRX (either generation) and even an old 2001 Eldorado would like to have a word with you in the back SMK.

Hell, a '96 Fleetwood as a top speed over 140mph.

No, there is a difference. Mercedes had the A-class and B-class that if sold here would be in the $20-30,000 range, basically being a luxury alternative to a Focus or Civic. BMW and Mercedes don't use that sort of platform on their $35,000+ cars, they use purpose built RWD platforms. This is where Acura, Lincoln, and some Lexus and Cadillac models fail. They want to use a platform and powertrain from a $25-30,000 sedan on a $50,000 luxury car. The Ford Fusion isn't made for 150 mph autobahn cruising or tearing up corners on the Nurburgring, nor should it be, that isn't its job. But when you turn that into a Lincoln and compare it to a Mercedes, that shortcoming is going to show up.

One of Lexus's top engineers was recently interviewed about the GS, and how Lexus took the current GS to Germany to compare to an E-class and 5-series. Lexus's own engineer admitted that at 115 mph the GS350 didn't feel stable and he was confident in driving any faster than that, and he said that their chassis was not as good and not as stiff as the Mercedes.

Cadillac wants to compete with the Germans, yet the CTS and ATS are the only cars even on the right track. The SRX, XTS, ELR, Escalade are not built for performance, they are built to the same standard as Chevrolets and Buicks. Lincoln, Acura, Lexus ES350, RX350 are all in the same boat. And some of those cars sell well, because some people don't care about performance and engineering. However none of those vehicles are the global standard.

Perhaps you missed the part about BMW building a FWD platform. Wait, did you get that? FWD. The entry level 'ultimate driving machine' will be a FWD compact. Apparently, BMW missed your memo.

Perhaps you missed the part about BMW building a FWD platform. Wait, did you get that? FWD. The entry level 'ultimate driving machine' will be a FWD compact. Apparently, BMW missed your memo.

Alas, BMW is about 'joy' now (they dropped 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' tagline). A FWD entry line seems like a cynical branding ploy to achieve volume amongst lame posers who want the brand cachet but not the substance. Most of FWD 1-series will probably be 4cyl automatics (at least in NA where too few people are capable of driving a manual). At least BMW still builds M models.. it will probably be a hit for them, though.

Anyway, the ELR seems like it could be successful for Cadillac (supposedly will be under $50k I read somewhere) if it looks 90% as dramatic as the Converj..I wonder if we will see any conventional hybrids from Cadillac?

Alas, BMW is about 'joy' now (they dropped 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' tagline). A FWD entry line seems like a cynical branding ploy to achieve volume amongst lame posers who want the brand cachet but not the substance. Most of FWD 1-series will probably be 4cyl automatics (at least in NA where too few people are capable of driving a manual).

Most of the RWD 3-series, 5-series, and all of the 7-series are automatics too...

Alas, BMW is about 'joy' now (they dropped 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' tagline). A FWD entry line seems like a cynical branding ploy to achieve volume amongst lame posers who want the brand cachet but not the substance. Most of FWD 1-series will probably be 4cyl automatics (at least in NA where too few people are capable of driving a manual).

Most of the RWD 3-series, 5-series, and all of the 7-series are automatics too...

True...but at least they are still RWD. I've never understood why Americans don't like manuals, but I have no problem w/ refined automatics, esp. in luxury cars (was the 7 series ever offered w/ a manual? (answered my own question--apparently yes--the first 3 generations were offered w/ a 6 and a manual, probably Europe only).

True...but at least they are still RWD. I've never understood why Americans don't like manuals, but I have no problem w/ refined automatics, esp. in luxury cars (was the 7 series ever offered w/ a manual? (answered my own question--apparently yes--the first 3 generations were offered w/ a 6 and a manual, probably Europe only).

meh, 90% of drivers don't care if they are RWD or not. Most think their 3-series is FWD anyway.

meh, 90% of drivers don't care if they are RWD or not. Most think their 3-series is FWD anyway.

90% of drivers are beneath contempt, so FWD mediocrity is enough for them. I have no interest in being amongst 'the general public'.