Emergency choice

ocnblu

After this week, I am likely going to be in the position of having to find another set of wheels. Yes, I've had plenty of vehicles in my life, but this is different. This time I had no itch for something new. There is no kid-in-a-candy store feeling in me. No yearning for something new. Now it's just a matter of practicality, necessity, that brings me to this point. Under these circumstances, I am not likely to enjoy the process. I have never been in such a situation. I don't want to make a bad choice.

Before this, I was thinking out a couple of years to a Gamma crossover, Cruze coupe, new-style Impreza Outback Sport, new-style GM compact pickup... vehicles that are not even out yet. But those dreams are wiped. I likely have to think in the here-and-now.

To those who've been where I am, do you feel you made a good choice for your replacement vehicle after the sudden loss of one you really enjoyed?

Maybe I'm approaching this from too much of an emotional angle, but I've been a "car guy" all my life, I love my relationship with my machine, and I enjoy researching, at my leisure, what comes next. Now I just feel like a widower, with my next vehicle being a "rebound" type thing.

Any suggestions?

I think you need to be happy with whatever you get...

And that seems like oversimplification, but it's true. The past 2 times I've bought a daily driver, I've caved to 'logic' over emotion and I pay the price for it. The Focus ZX3 was an awesome little car that I enjoyed, but I bought it to be economical when I really wanted another pony car. When the Focus got totaled, they gave me $h! for a settlement, so I thought; "Well, if I'm going to have to buy high mileage, I might as wel get something I can have fun with." So I bought my '01 Mustang GT. It's a lovely car, but in order to get something in my price range I made a compromise I swore I wouldn't make and bought a slushbox. Now I kick myself about that almost every day.

I guess I've been pretty happy. The Focus was awesome in its own way (It was so nimble, and it was a stick, so it was more engaging than the Mustang) The Mustang is a cool cruiser that sounds great and has a lot of power (compared to the Focus) but it's still a compromise.

I guess my point is: don't rush into anything.

I guess I missed something, you got rid of the Fiesta or something? Sorry for my ignorance.

I originally thought I would end up with a Cruze when I was shopping around after the LSS bit the dust. I'm really glad I ended up with the Camaro though. No, it's not as practical. Only 2 doors, tiny trunk opening, I get about 19mpg in the city vs probably 28 in the Cruze. It's back seat isn't much fun to sit in. But it's super fun to drive and I don't regret the choice at all. I do sort of wish I got the RS package, but it's not a big deal, and it was the only V6/stick within 3 hours drive, so it was the only choice. Plus I can use the money I saved from not getting the RS package to get some unique wheels, and I can always install aftermarket HID's.

This kind of situation happened to me once in my life when I was in grad school, but it resolved itself w/ no thought on my part.

If it were to happen today, I'd have to go test drive several different cars. The easiest choice for me would be another Grand Cherokee, but there are many cars in the same price range that I find appealing.

i saw on a lot today the 012 Cruze Eco has a power seat package.........

oops, that was something i know i would look at...

here is the thing......i guess you probably have a budget....can you even go new again?

A base S focus manual?

Get one of the first Sonics?

Cruze Eco?

Base, no options Regal?

SX4 sportback? (call me)

malibu or Impaler LS?

Chevy work truck?

F-150?

Fusion S automatic?

Elantra, Sonata, Kias of any kind?

Veloster?

Versa?

Juke?

Base Mini Cooper?

Jetta or new Passat?

When do the IMprezas come out?

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

I can understand....

I like the base regal idea....

My toss into the ring is the Cruze LS if you go with a cheaper model. There's a good chance this is the model I will buy/lease if I continue to go with a new car.

It handles well, and is peppier than the thought. If you're doing mostly city, the 1.8 is the way to go. The 1.4 turbo does great hwy, but you have to baby it in the city to get good milage out of it. Plus it has room you can use, and I found it takes well to a roof rack. cool.gif Plus, mods will be fun with this car. You can't miss the new blue color, reminds of of the old laser blue met color....

This situation doesn't usually happen to me. I have a N+1 setup with family versus family cars.

Personally, if you liked the Fiesta, get another... but I'm not sure how your situation is going to pan out, as far as insurance and stuff is concerned. Reading your other thread, it sounds like you needed something that accelerates and handles a bit quicker. ;-)

O.B. Just buy a Camaro already and thank me later! =)

• Agree 1

My insurance will spike like crazy after this. It will have to be something inherently inexpensive to insure. I've been searching for manual Fiestas, Foci, and 1LT Cruze manuals. Focus has had production interruptions due to a shortage in dash parts. There is one white Focus SE Sport hatch manual in the area, at the dealer I got my Fiesta from, I looked at it yesterday. Fiesta manuals just aren't around yet during this transition time to the 2012 model year. Surprisingly, one dealer in Hamburg, PA has ordered in a bunch of 2012 Cruze manuals... but that's a good distance from me... maybe a local dealer will trade one for me. We'll see. I'm getting ahead of myself, but trying to be prepared. If I knew all the numbers (like my new insurance premium and how much money will be left over from the Fiesta after the bank is paid) I'd be better equipped to make a decision. Ugh. This is not what I needed right now.

• Agree 1

My insurance will spike like crazy after this. It will have to be something inherently inexpensive to insure. I've been searching for manual Fiestas, Foci, and 1LT Cruze manuals. Focus has had production interruptions due to a shortage in dash parts. There is one white Focus SE Sport hatch manual in the area, at the dealer I got my Fiesta from, I looked at it yesterday. Fiesta manuals just aren't around yet during this transition time to the 2012 model year. Surprisingly, one dealer in Hamburg, PA has ordered in a bunch of 2012 Cruze manuals... but that's a good distance from me... maybe a local dealer will trade one for me. We'll see. I'm getting ahead of myself, but trying to be prepared. If I knew all the numbers (like my new insurance premium and how much money will be left over from the Fiesta after the bank is paid) I'd be better equipped to make a decision. Ugh. This is not what I needed right now.

I have a connection to a Chevy dealer if "the deal" is what is most important. It's out my way though, so you'd have to use your local dealer for service.

My advice: don't rush into anything just yet. It will likely take some time for the insurance company to handle the totalling of your car, factor in any changes to your policy, pay off the remaining balance and give you whatever is left over. I'm assuming you have a rental car provided by the insurance company to use, right? if yes, at least you have wheels until the insurance claim is closed out. Use this time to figure out exactly what you want to do about a vehicle. You're too far off from GM's new compact trucks, so you;d have to consider another Colorado or Canyon if you went that route or maybe another full-size regular cab standard bed? Truck clearance time is now! Or you could consider another Ford or Chevy Cruze, if you want to continue with a fuel-efficient car right now (you like VWs, so maybe consider the model of your choice). However, don't rush into anything just yet, you have wounds to heal - personal and automotive - and the control lies with your insurance company. Use this downtime to figure out what yuou might be able to financially do when the time comes. End of August & September are usually the best time of the year to buy a leftover new vehicle with great deals.

• Agree 1

O.B. come back to your roots, go GM. You know the Cruise is more car that either Ford.

Just read your other thread, so now I realize what happened.

Now is not a bad time to swing a good deal on a leftover 2011 if you can find one you like. A Cruze ECO with manual might be a suitable replacement, and would get you great mpgs (probably better than Fiesta). Or, you can go to dealers and see what they have coming in and put your name on the list to reserve something that fits your wants and needs.

With that strategy, perhaps you could work out a deal with the dealership to drive a used vehicle until your vehicle comes in, so that you don't have to rent a car while you wait. Surely there is some dealer that's willing to let you drive the car for a week or two while you wait for a vehicle to come in in order to ensure that they get a sale from you.

Well, if you can't get what you want from what the insurance company gives you for the Fiesta, I'd consider buying a cheap beater for a few hundred and running around with that until you can get what you really want.

I'm with DF, and if you can get another Fiesta, do it since you know you like the car.

Those on here who have Cruzes all seem to be happy with them.

What about a Fiat 500? (waiting patiently for Sixty8 to tell me it's an overpriced POS ;))

Sonic isn't that far off.

2011 Fiestas are all but gone off the lots, and 2012s aren't around yet either. The 500 is a sweet little machine, but I'd want to be closer to the dealer if I bought one. Same goes for Mini.

There are several 2012 Cruze 1LT manuals out there, not to mention ECOweenies. I think I'll test drive a Cruze first, but I need to know how much money I'll have before I do much of anything. I might be posting a photo of a '66 Rambler American in the Garage if the settlement is low and depending on how my premiums go.

Edited by ocnblu

Why get a new car if there isn't something that "move you". Try a $2500 Buick Century from an old person for a while until the car you really want is available. My suggestion on the new, go drive the Cruze LT, Ford Focus and Cruze Eco. If the car you want needs to be ordered, convince the dealer to give you a loaner or sell you a running car for $500 that you can sell on the street for $1000 after cleaning it up (which they would probably sell at auction anyways).

Why get a new car if there isn't something that "move you". Try a $2500 Buick Century from an old person for a while until the car you really want is available. My suggestion on the new, go drive the Cruze LT, Ford Focus and Cruze Eco. If the car you want needs to be ordered, convince the dealer to give you a loaner or sell you a running car for $500 that you can sell on the street for $1000 after cleaning it up (which they would probably sell at auction anyways).

This is a good idea too.

Also the reason I am revamping my current cars, waiting to see how things play out....

You should try to find used Fiesta's in your area with similar equipment and mileage as yours. Probably a lot easier said than done though.

When the Maxx was totaled, the insurance offered us some amount of money, and we found 3 Maxx's with more miles and the same equipment (ours had the rear DVD) for sale for like $1200 more, showed it to them, and they came up about $1000 on their price. At least that way you should be able to have a good ballpark of what you can expect to get, because you can negotiate the claim somewhat.

• Agree 3

You should try to find used Fiesta's in your area with similar equipment and mileage as yours. Probably a lot easier said than done though.

When the Maxx was totaled, the insurance offered us some amount of money, and we found 3 Maxx's with more miles and the same equipment (ours had the rear DVD) for sale for like $1200 more, showed it to them, and they came up about $1000 on their price. At least that way you should be able to have a good ballpark of what you can expect to get, because you can negotiate the claim somewhat.

Excellent advice. My friend, also with Progressive, did the same thing when her Prius got totaled and got a lot of extra $$$ to buy an upgrade Prius (newer, fewer miles, more stuff, HOV sticker and red instead of blue).

I am very pleased with my settlement. I'll have $6500+ left over after the bank is paid. The check was in the mail to me yesterday according to the insurance person.

Dealer I called said he found 2 Cruze 1LT manuals he can get from another dealer farther away. Blue Topaz (new color for '12) with black and gray interior or Black Granite with black. I didn't give him an answer yet. Tonight after work, I plan on going over there to test drive an ECOweenie they have in Blue Topaz.

Wild card is still my insurance premiums and the outcome of my citation. Or I could just buy an '02 S-10 4X4 outright and have no payments atall...

Take a deep breath, slow down, and try to lose the sense of urgency.

Let this happen as slowly as it can and distract yourself from it for a while.

Then just consider the options after you get your bearings.

Once again the voice of reason.

I still like the idea of another Fiesta...more nimble than the Cruze, although the cruze is a great car.

Older S10 4 by 4 would be great if you were Camino or Sixty eight and had a desire to put up with wrenching once in awhile....or having it fixed...but methinks your more of a no hassle kind of a car guy.

2011 Fiestas are all but gone off the lots, and 2012s aren't around yet either. The 500 is a sweet little machine, but I'd want to be closer to the dealer if I bought one. Same goes for Mini.

There are several 2012 Cruze 1LT manuals out there, not to mention ECOweenies. I think I'll test drive a Cruze first, but I need to know how much money I'll have before I do much of anything. I might be posting a photo of a '66 Rambler American in the Garage if the settlement is low and depending on how my premiums go.

The Eco Cruzes are consistently rated the best of the litter.

Wild card is still my insurance premiums and the outcome of my citation. Or I could just buy an '02 S-10 4X4 outright and have no payments atall...

Careful, as the insurance premium might not get raised until you are already in the car for 6 months to a year... there can be a pretty good sized delay between accidents and the rate adjustment.

I like the '66 Rambler idea best.

The Eco cruze is the real deal. It's a nice drive, a solid car, and to top it off, it's not expensive, it's safe (like 18 airbags), and has low operating costs.

The Fiesta is indeed spunky, but i bet you'd be surprised with how fun the Cruze with the stick and turbo can actually be......

I am curious how much of a hoot the Sonic is myself.....

Edited by regfootball

Test drove an ECOweenie Cruze 6-speed manual last evening.

Would love to be able to give a 2012 Impreza Sport Premium hatch 5 speed manual a try too, but November is a ways off.

Edited by ocnblu

The Chevrolet Cruze is a very nice driving vehicle. Solid, with a 6 speed manual that is so sweet to use. Forever before, when I drove a manual transmission car for the first time, there was at least a short learning curve, getting to know the clutch and shift action.

This was like butter, with magic, short throws and a stubby lever. The 1.4L turbo has torque at the bottom, something I could not say about my zippy little Ford. The Cruze is nice, it has presence enough (where before I thought it bland) compared to the 2012 Ford Focus, which feels styled to the point of overkill, both in and out.

My Fiesta was a great little car, I'm not gonna lie, I've missed driving it this past week. It was torture seeing it every day on our lot in the state it was in. It was finally towed out yesterday.

LONG story short... I made a decision last evening after driving the Eco. By Thursday evening at the latest (the car I want has to be traded from another dealer), I will be taking delivery of a 2012 Cruze 1LT sedan with 6 speed manual in Blue Topaz Metallic with black and gray interior and two dealer-installed options: foglamp kit and cargo net for my groceries. The 2012 1LT enhancements, including the 5-spoke aluminum rims, plus the foglight installation, really help make the car look sportier.

This car won me over with the drive. I'll be a proud GM owner once again, for $20 more a month than I was paying for my Ford.

Edited by ocnblu

I hope to God I never have to find out. I'm trying to maintain some semblance of optimism after this latest setback I've been dealt. I need stability in my life. If only my love life were settled like yours, maybe all else would fall in line.

Congrats. The 6-spd stick Cruze 1.4T seems like a sweet ride by every review, owner and professional, I've ever seen. Eco, especially, but now that you can get the other trims with the 6-spd even if the mileage is rated differently, is a great thing.

Little bit larger, great choice. Hopefully just as fun.

This car won me over with the drive.

I totally would have bet my left nut that that was exactly what you would say.......

you can't get a fair shake on the Cruze by driving the automatic only. When you drive the stick + miniturbo it surprises with how much of a real good car it is, just the right amount of sport, and it really sort of gets under your fingernails with the likability of the engine + tranny + shifter mating.

Jealous and happy for u at the same time!

This was like butter, with magic, short throws and a stubby lever. The 1.4L turbo has torque at the bottom, something I could not say about my zippy little Ford. The Cruze is nice, it has presence enough (where before I thought it bland) compared to the 2012 Ford Focus, which feels styled to the point of overkill, both in and out.

that stubby little leather is the bomb......falls right to hand, nice leather, short throws...

with the LT you are getting, you should be getting stickier tires, maybe a couple less mpg, a little more aggressive gearing, and little more weight....should be interesting to see if you notice any differences in the drive.

Do you get the bigger gas tank, then?

Edited by regfootball

Not sure on the gas tank size, but size does matter when cruzing range is involved. Reasons I chose the 1LT over the Eco are just personal preference, apologies to those here who have Ecos and love them. Stickier tires, sportier gearing, no green badge, thicker sheetmetal, no underbelly panels, no mechanical shutters in bumper, easier to clean wheels... and still rated at 26/38 mpg.

I joked to the saleskid when he asked me why I didn't want to buy the Eco I was driving with a point to the decklid: "green badge takes ten points off my man card!". He laughed. He's cute. And come to find out, he lives in my development. But then I rattled off the list above over the course of the drive, again, personal preferences, and he understood and didn't try to hard sell me. A thunderstorm was just finishing when I got there. We were standing there on the lot with our umbrellas and he points and says "cool! A rainbow!" So we stood there and marveled at the full DOUBLE rainbow for a while. He even yelled over to his co-workers standing on the porch about it, a couple of older guys who were not as impressed.

But I digress. I am hoping I can consistently beat the EPA ratings, as I was able to with my Ford. Time will tell. The car is at a dealer in Tunkhannock, PA... a 3 hour drive down from the mountains. I hope the DX driver is careful, that's rugged country up there.

Blue Topaz. I like. Nice choice. Really glad they offer foglamps as an accessory kit for trim levels without them already--this should be the case for everything. Huge difference in look, let alone lighting.

Back when you first drove & purchased your Fiesta, had you thought about or tried a Cruze?

Nope, before the Fiesta, the only 4-door car I had was the Catalina, and that was a gift. I still hope for a 2-door Cruze. The manual transmission, aluminum rims and foglamp availability on the affordable (for me) 2012 1LT helped shove me over the fence. Funny how those seemingly small enhancements made all the difference.

Edited by ocnblu

Well ya know... the Fiesta was as tiny as I'd ever want to go. The Up! (?) is snazzy, though.

I was over at the 2012 Beetle site earlier this afternoon. That is a wicked nice car this time around. The "Heritage Wheels" are da BOMB, and since they're competing with the Mini this time in the "Premium Small" segment, even the base model is loaded with kit... wish I could have looked at one of these.