The Winnowing

ocnblu

I've read a report today that GM plans to cut the number of platforms and engines for its vehicles by like half in the next several years. Pretty much what a lot of us here have been harping on for a good while here at C&G... FEWER PLATFORMS, MORE VARIANTS PER PLATFORM leads to BETTER QUALITY and MORE PROFITS.

How should this shake out? Post your general overview of what you think GMNA should consist of circa 2016.

A contraction seems inevitable in the New World Economy, and not just at GM.

I can get behind such if it's well executed... but I'd not be happy to see Cadillac getting more shared platforms, there I believe -at least for the foreseeable future- that exclusivity outweighs volumes of scale. But defiantely more variants/platform. We've seen this nicely with the CTS, and 'ATS' is supposed to get a convert, too. :metal:

I see this as a good thing today. In the past it would have been difficult to to but with todays technology they can bend and twist these platforms in many ways never possible in the past.

Also keep in mind this is a global statment not just a North American statment. Companies like Holden will not be completely different than Chevy anylonger. While they get plaforms and cars like the Cruze and Malibu Chevy will get the use of the RWD platform in in a sedan and both will share the new Camaro.

Less overlap less confusion more money saved. I see better investment in many cars that traditionally were short changed in the past. Expample, the new Alpha Camaro I feel will be a better car sharing it with the ATS. It will have more development dollars in the chassis that is shared with Cadillac. I do not see the same issues as in the past like the Cimarron where Chevy shared with Cadillac where as today Cadillac will share with Chevy. To make this work it is a one way street from the higher division down not the less divsion up. Sh#t can roll uphill.

As for the engines most are going to be 4 cylinders anyways as it nearly is today. THere will remain a smattering of V6 and V8 engines but they will be limited. The new Ecotec engines will be as common as a 307 and 327 at Chevy in the 60's.

When done right like many other companies have proven less can be more. GM is in a position to do this right for once with where they are today.

Interesting..

Well, it looks like globally GM will have 3 platforms for FWD cars and 2 for CUVs..

Gamma II

Delta II

Epsilon II

Theta/Theta-Epsilon

Lambda

And 4 for RWD cars: (will Zeta and Sigma merge eventually or remain separate?)

Alpha

Zeta

Sigma II

Y

And perhaps 5 distinct architectures for trucks, SUVs and vans (maybe the larger vans will share a platform worldwide eventually)

compact truck (next Colorado, will it come here?)

full size pickup and SUV (NA)

full size RWD van (NA)

compact and large FWD vans (outside NA)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Interesting..

And a 3-4 distinct architectures for trucks, SUVs and vans (maybe the larger vans will share a platform worldwide eventually)?

I suspect that the GMT truck platform is just one platform, except for maybe the huge trucks, such as construction equipment. The winnowing of platforms can only be a good thing.

Interesting..

And a 3-4 distinct architectures for trucks, SUVs and vans (maybe the larger vans will share a platform worldwide eventually)?

I suspect that the GMT truck platform is just one platform, except for maybe the huge trucks, such as construction equipment. The winnowing of platforms can only be a good thing.

They will have at least 2 for trucks--the compact platform for the next international Colorado (don't know if it's coming to the US), and a full size one for NA large trucks and SUVs.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

GM is out of the medium duty truck market... they aren't building anything bigger than 3500s now, right?

Its a shame, I really liked the Kodiak and Topkick.