What Does GM's Future Compact Lineup Look Like?

William Maley

What Does GM's Future Compact Lineup Look Like?

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

July 26, 2011

post-10485-0-01034500-1311726482.png

GM's assault on the compact car market is in full swing with the Chevrolet Cruze, being the top selling passenger vehicle for the month of June. GM hopes to continue the compact craze with the new Buick Verano, due out later this year. But, what are GM’s plans for their compact cars in the future? Motor Trend has unearthed some information about the Verano and Cruze.

First is the Buick Verano. The long standing rumor of bringing over the Astra GTC as a Buick is still a rumor. Apparently, the idea is sitting on desks at GM with some issues need to be worked out. The biggest one deals with where GM will build the Verano. Buick could consider importing the model from Germany and then begin building the model somewhere in the US; most likely in Lake Orion.

Then there's the Cruze. The Cruze coupe which has been talked about for awhile could be making its way into production, sometime in 2013. The Cruze Hatchback, which has been talked about possibly coming to the US isn't coming. GM has decided to bring over the next generation Cruze hatch to the US. The hatchback is expected to arrive onto our shores when Cruze gets a facelift sometime in 2014 or 2015 according to a source.

Source: Motor Trend

Meanwhile, cross-town rival Ford will have had full control of the domestic compact hatch market here in the US (of course I am writing off the Dodge Caliber) for MANY YEARS before timid GM gets over its fear.

• Disagree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Coupe, Sedan, Hatch, Wagon, and a 2.4L non turbo option.

well.... 2.5. The 2.4 is going to start fading out in the next few model years to be replaced with the 2.5.

2.5L-4 (not the iron "duck") with 190hp evan better. GM can sell me a Cruze wagon & sedan

Edited by RjION

I must say I like the Hyundai Veloster a lot. With that the Accent and Elantra, Hyundai has a mighty strong presence in the compact market. The Fiesta and Focus are really good and appealing also. I think the Civic and Corolla are in trouble because they are so boring. It used to be that every compact car was boring, and the Civic and Corolla dominated because they were better built, longer lasting. But now a lot of these cars are well built, and small cars aren't boring anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think a Hatch is that important. I like hatches, but hatches don't sell in the USA.

The Cruze is an embarassment and a mistake from a powertrain standpoint though. After cutting displacement to 1.4 liters, adding a turbo, putting in an after cooler and connecting all that with bunch of hoses, it is not more powerful and less efficient than the competition's plain and simple 1.8~2.0 liter fours. That much effort deserves the fuel economy crown, and a few changes will get GM there.

Phase 1 -- 28/42 mpg w/ 6-spd Auto

• Increase boost pressure to 15 psi -- still 87 Oct Compatible
  • Remove the obstructive intake port dams -- who cares about trying for an ULEV/SULEV II rating?*
  • Make all the lightening and aerodynamic changes on the ECO model standard -- This is worth 0~1 mpg city / 1~2 mpg hwy
  • With about 160 hp / 170 lb-ft from both changes, drop final axle ratio from 3.53:1 (2012 model) --> 2.87:1 -- this is worth ~1 mpg city / 2~3 mpg Hwy
  • Standardize on a low rolling resistance tire (Eg. Goodyear Assurance FuelMax) -- worth ~1mpg hwy

* MPG and Performance is more important the SULEV or ULEV ratings. How many customers actually care about that? 1%? Those 1% will probably buy a Prius, Leaf or a Volt anyway.

Phase 2 (with facelift) -- 30/45 mpg

• Implement Direct Injection, raise compression from 9.5:1 --> 10.5:1 -- worth ~8 hp and 2~3% improvement in fuel economy (1~2 mpg)
  • Implement a 2-stage cam switching valvetrain (same design as HCCI prototype engine) allowing part-time Atkinson/Miller Cycle operation -- worth 2~3 mpg Hwy
  • Implement a variable oil pump -- worth ~0.5 mpg hwy
  • Switch to an Aluminum block -- offsets some of the weight in the nose of the car

Phase 3 (all new model) -- 32/48 mpg + 0-60 in 7.8 secs

• Switch to 1.8 liter DI 3-cylinder engine with cam switching and part-time Atkinson/Miller Cycle**
  • Ball Bearing Turbocharger -- superior response and efficiency
  • Pneumatic Automatic Start-Stop -- in ECO mode
  • High Strength Steel + Aluminum hood -- target weight = 2,750 lbs

** Target output = 175 bhp @ 5200 rpm, 177 lb-ft @ 1200~5200 rpm, Redline 5200 rpm, Max Engine Speed 6000 rpm

All these without expensive and heavy Hybrid drive trains.

Edited by dwightlooi

Sorry I don't see the Cruze as an embarassment. If sales are any sign I think few people are having issues with the car as it is right now. While it may not post the best numbers it is close enough that the public is happy enough to buy a ton of these so far. Now if they put an SS on the door Yes I would have agreed with the term embarassment.

In time we will have more and better engine options including a Diesel.

As for body styles I think a 5 door in this class would do well. I wonder if GM will move this way or do they have a replacment for the HHR out there that would negate a 5 door hatch. People like their wagons a little more truck like anymore here. The HHR sold in great numbers.