GM Confirms 2013 Cruze Diesel

Drew Dowdell

Chevrolet Confirms 2013 Cruze Diesel

gallery_51_134_60119.jpg

June 22, 2011 - Drew Dowdell, CheersandGears.com

Confirming previous rumors, we can finally do the happy dance today as Chevrolet confirms the 2013 Cruze Diesel for production. The already efficient Cruze Eco currently is rated for 42mpg highway, a diesel version would push that number up close to 50mpg.

GM Press Release:

DETROIT
– Chevrolet confirmed today it will add a diesel variant to the Cruze lineup in North America in calendar year 2013. Diesel versions of the Cruze are currently being sold in Europe. Additional details on the Cruze diesel for North American markets will be released at a later date.

The diesel will bolster the already fuel-efficient Cruze lineup. Cruze Eco with a standard six-speed manual transmission, is the most fuel-efficient gas-powered/non-hybrid vehicle in America, with an EPA-rated 42 mpg on the highway.

Cruze recorded a total of 24,896 sales in the United States in June, the fifth consecutive month sales have exceeded 20,000. The success of the Cruze has increased Chevrolet's total share of the compact-car segment from 9.5 percent a year ago to 11.9 percent for the first five months of 2011, even as the segment size grew 19 percent.

The Cruze currently uses GM's less advanced diesels, so I'm guessing it'll be the 1.7 CDTI found in the Astra ecoFLEX.

Astra ecoFLEX 1.7 CDTI

130 hp, 221 lb-ft

99 g/km

76.3 mpg, combined (UK)

For what it's worth, a Golf 2.0 TDI gets 58.9 mpg, combined (UK) and 126 g/km. In the US, the Golf TDI gets 34 mpg combined. The Astra ecoFLEX in theory does 30% better, or 44 mpg combined. 50 mpg highway sounds about right!

I wonder how many Cruze diesels will actually sell in the good old USA. I suspect this will be a much easier sell in Europe than here.

They are already selling them in Europe and Australia now.

Which diesel engine are they using in the Cruze right now?

Not only better fuel economy, but it should solve the lack of torque in the current Cruze. Unless this is a horrible diesel engine, the Cruze diesel won't only be the most economical but the fastest also. I hope the power numbers are similar to the Jetta TDI, if so, great move by Chevy.

Ok there were many who cried for diesels and for a Cruze diesel time to put you money down.

I heard about this a little while ago. I hope it works. It is smart for GM to offer a high mileage diesel in the cruze first and show case what a modern diesel can do. It just may convince people it is a good idea for more expensice cars like a new Impala or even ATS.

If GM can post 50 MPG with this car it will be a great marketing effort. That could even help sell more gas Cruze as it will put the car before the public and may get some to look at the car that never would have before.

• Agree 1

^^^

I may consider buying one for Albert to use as his daily driver and then keep the CR-V for winter back up duty. The Honda's last payment is end of Sept, so we'll have some time to put some extra money aside for this. My only hope is that they don't sell the diesel as an economy model only. I still want the creature comforts on it.

Ok there were many who cried for diesels and for a Cruze diesel time to put you money down.

I heard about this a little while ago. I hope it works. It is smart for GM to offer a high mileage diesel in the cruze first and show case what a modern diesel can do. It just may convince people it is a good idea for more expensice cars like a new Impala or even ATS.

If GM can post 50 MPG with this car it will be a great marketing effort. That could even help sell more gas Cruze as it will put the car before the public and may get some to look at the car that never would have before.

$h!, I hope the ATS coupe gets a diesel. THAT would be the next car I own.

Awesome news!

Hopefully they offer it with a manual and the LTZ goodies even if a la carte.

THIS would be the model I would be most interested in!

Wait, by "diesel" they mean turbo diesel, right?

I've never been this out of the loop as far as the new car industry goes.

Honestly, I have not picked up a new car magazine in about four years

if not more... (outside of the Doctor's office)

Modern cars just plain disappoint, and the few that kick ass are priced

way out of my price range.

• 2 weeks later...
Croc, knowing GM, other cars will get that diesel. The ATS would be a prime candidate for that newer diesel engine for the Cruze.

Persoanlly, I'd expect (and prefer) that the ATS to use somethign like the TTiD engine SAAB uses (rated at 180PS or 190PS), not the Cruze's single turbo engine.

• 4 weeks later...