gymnasiums

ocnblu

I've been a member of Planet Fitness since 2006. It's OK I guess. I mean, for $15/month, what do you want? A while back I was robbed there when a miscreant broke my puny lock and stole all the cash out of my wallet. Kinda put a chill on things. And before that I was growing ever more meh about the joint.

So I stopped in to LA Fitness today and took the tour. Kid took me around and through the whole place. They have a pool (good exercise kickin' water around), a steam room (my sinuses are ruined, a sauna should help that), free classes, a free personal training session, and whatnot.

But kid giving tour lost points when the first thing he said when I tole him I am a member at PF was "how do you like the color scheme over there?" (it's purple, yellow and black everywhere, I don't really care though). Then, after his borderline hard selling presentation, complete with a last-minute start-up fee and monthly dues price cut, he said "I wish Planet Fitness had never opened" (which tells me they must be losing members to PF, the cheaper gym).

So, I usually go to gym after work. PF is on my way home, LAF is about 2 blocks north of my work, opposite direction from home. And even with the deal, it is still double what I'm paying at PF. The pool and sauna are nice and I'd use them, but I'm not sure I liked the semi-hard sell or the extra money every munt for membership. And besides spinning cycles, the equipment I'd use looks the same.

Help me decide!

Edited by ocnblu

$15/month??? The cheapest city-run weight rooms in Toronto are barely less than that! Yes - I said room and I mean it. They're maintained for low-income people.

Double is $30/month. That's still less than almost all the private gyms in Toronto. I had to hunt to find one under $40/month, most are more like $60-80.

I can't believe you can find gyms so cheap. I wouldn't hesitate to pay the $30/month if the gym is better.

Planet Fitness is a joke. Seriously, a "Lunk Alarm"?? How about the free pizza Thursdays and the free candy??

PF is a place for people who have no interest in getting into shape. It's like Curves, except not just for women. LA Fitness, while a typical gym, is at least a real gym. They at least have equipment for squats...and frankly there's no chance of getting startled and injuring yourself because someone decided some dude grunted too loudly and throws the air-raid siren...er...lunk alarm.

Went to LAF today for the first time. I think I'm going to like it there. The steam room was great and I think I'm gonna like the pool (didn't use it today yet).

I stopped by PF this evening and cancelled. There is no pro-rated refund for this month's dues, but I could visit until my paid dues expire nex munt. The girl there at the counter said she went to LAF on a week pass and liked it, that she's supposed to discourage ppl from severing, but that she understands.

I joined there in November, 2006, and have a recorded 577 visits (that doesn't count the many many times I walked in and didn't get checked because they were busy with other lunks).

Yeah, as far as fine print, I can appreciate that. LAF says my dues are frozen for 3 years and there is no penalty for quitting at any time. I have it on paper.