Time to shoot the liability lawyers

Camino LS6

Due to personal liability issues, I don't go to Pep Boys.

Whats broken with them that a plug or two and a T-handle can't fix?

I'm sure there were no lawyers involved beyond "Hey, we need a good excuse to not provide this piddling service, when it takes a tech away from fleecing unknowing tire customers. Go Delfinity!"

Edited by SAmadei

Due to personal liability issues, I don't go to Pep Boys.

Whats broken with them that a plug or two and a T-handle can't fix?

I'm sure there were no lawyers involved beyond "Hey, we need a good excuse to not provide this piddling service, when it takes a tech away from fleecing unknowing tire customers. Go Delfinity!"

Nah, some ambulance chaser made a big score because some bufoon hurt himself after 15 beers rolling his lawn tractor down a hill after having one of these chains repair a tire.

I stood there watching a tech plug the hole in a car tire as an "assistant manager" told me about their new corporate policy that due to liability concerns they will no longer fix tractor tires.

F-ing stupid.

Ruined my day.

So much for getting the job done before the heat and humidity return.

Which was the reason I decided to work on my only day off in the first place.

Sounds like they are hiding behind an excuse to me. Trial attorneys have never destroyed an entire industry (other than asbestos).

...and honestly, I believe a good part of the great asbestos panic is lawyer-created paranoia.

My grandfather was awash in asbestos all his professional life as an electrician in the shipyards. He helped build the USS New Jersey. Lived to be 96 or 97. The doctors on his deathbed even admitted he still had asbestos in his lungs, which was making it hard for him to breathe in his reduced state of health.

Sounds like they are hiding behind an excuse to me. Trial attorneys have never destroyed an entire industry (other than asbestos).

...and honestly, I believe a good part of the great asbestos panic is lawyer-created paranoia.

My grandfather was awash in asbestos all his professional life as an electrician in the shipyards. He helped build the USS New Jersey. Lived to be 96 or 97. The doctors on his deathbed even admitted he still had asbestos in his lungs, which was making it hard for him to breathe in his reduced state of health.

Mesothelioma is no joke. While it is a good thing that your grandfather lived to be nearly 100, most people in that kind of environment have their lives cut short.

Mesothelioma is no joke. While it is a good thing that your grandfather lived to be nearly 100, most people in that kind of environment have their lives cut short.

I'm not saying its a joke, only that it is blown out of proportion by the lawyers. No illness is a joke (unless you are reading Cyanide and Happiness).

15 per 1,000,000 people in 2004. Compare that to 1,000s per 1,000,000 for smoking.

The lawyers don't tell people that asbestos is not the only thing that causes Mesothelioma. Nobody is setting up posters showing the general public what asbestos even looks like. If many people here never heard of Romex, what hope do they have of correctly identifying unmarked asbestos.

The lawyers are only looking to scare more clients out of the woodwork with their lame daytime commercials being repeated 4 times an hour.

This will all replay again as people live longer... and we discover it takes 80-140 years for a different illness to set in. What will it be? BPA? EMF? Peanuts?

Is the asbestos hype overdone? Yes. Then again, how many lawsuits exist against asbestos clients are pending now?

As for the original post, Pep Boys is not going to patch a tire that they will never sell. It is unfortunate, but their business model does not include that service.

As for the original post, Pep Boys is not going to patch a tire that they will never sell. It is unfortunate, but their business model does not include that service.

Umm, no.

They offerred to sell me a new tire, it has nothing to do with any business model.

FYI, no matter how drunk or stupid this supposed person is that ruined your life because you can't get a tire patched, he got paid by a major company because of one of two things:

1) The company saw liability and paid him

2) A JURY found there was liability

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

My grandfather worked in a paint and varnish factory. He told me stories about replacing the furnace insulation yearly - by taking something akin to a power washer to the old asbestos layer, then spraying new material on.

He's 81 now, and still walks about 5km daily. I hope to be as healthy as him when I get that old.

FYI, no matter how drunk or stupid this supposed person is that ruined your life because you can't get a tire patched, he got paid by a major company because of one of two things:

1) The company saw liability and paid him

2) A JURY found there was liability

pfft!

So what?

Juries routinely award absurd amounts to the undeserving in such cases.

More likely though, a settlement was reached on the advice of self-serving liabilty lawyers, with no jury required.

That, in turn, led to the absurd policy I encountered.

This sort of disruption to normal commerce is what such lawyers give us as their legacy across the spectrum.

They need a leash with a choker collar.

Meanwhile, the tire still isn't fixed. My local John Deere place is all but worthless. They bought-out and closed the only good one in the area a few years ago.

They've had the tire since first thing yesterday morning, and finally called me to say that they can't get the tube for several more days.

So, I ask if they have a tire in stock: No.

So, I ask if they can just patch the tire without the tube (it is a tubeless type): Maybe they say, but they won't even check until this afternoon.

It is so hard to get anything real accomplished in the suburban hell this area has become.

It is so hard to get anything real accomplished in the suburban hell this area has become.

Ouch. I feel for ya, Camino... I'm beginning to think your suburbs are farther gone than mine. I didn't think it was possible.

I can think of several places in Vineland that would be happy to patch up that tire.

Why not just use a patch kit? Takes 3 or 4 minutes... I've had 100% success with my kit from Advanced Auto. Patched a couple auto tires, my trailer tires and the tires on the riding mower... the one tire has about 12 patches now, as the yard is full of sharp stuff.

Yeah, it's gotten pretty bad here.

I'm just going to throw-in the towel on this one and wait.

BTW, the hole is likely too large of a diameter for a plug, the steel rod that punctured it is bigger than 1/4" in diameter(closer to 3/8").

Still trying to figure out what it is.

Given that it is about 3-4' in length, and pointed like a nail on one end, I'm guessing that it was a grounding rod for something at one time.

Edited by Camino LS6

BTW, the hole is likely too large of a diameter for a plug, the steel rod that punctured it is bigger than 1/4" in diameter(closer to 3/8").

Still trying to figure out what it is.

Given that it is about 3-4' in length, and pointed like a nail on one end, I'm guessing that it was a grounding rod for something at one time.

Interesting. You might just have a hole getting to a size that nobody is comfortable patching.

I'd probably fold the plugs over and jam half a dozen in the hole. I'd get it filled. ;-)

So you blame lawyers for all your troubles here when it is actually a situation where the hole is too big to be patched?

Also, businesses have the right to perform what ever types of services they want.

Plus, many many MANY jury verdicts which you may feel are insane usually are reduced, which is something not generally reported on by the press. Trust me when I say, because I have experience here, if a company pays an out of court settlement on something the person deserves it.

First of all, the service center designed for servicing cars won't perform work on a tractor tire...that's like when people want us, an auto parts store, to get parts for their front end loader or their generator.

Secondly, if its a hole too large to patch then it sounds like you need to go get a new tire...from a place that services tractors. Trying to patch a hole that large is crazy anyway, no shop in their right mind would try to patch it.

Camino glad the tire was saved in the future they have a special plug that is called a radial plug it looks like a mushroom with the cap flattened. It combines the plug with a patch and IIRC come in 2 diameters.FWIW :2cents: