LUV American Style

ocnblu

Yes, I noticed the different spelling of Isuzu. Perhaps it is in the translation. When I was a kid, it was called "Peking" China, now it's spelled "Beijing" (or did they change the name of this old town?)

I'm looking at the size and mileage figures and wishing for something like this today... alas, it would need expensive materials to keep the weight down and the crash test scores and MPG up.

Edited by ocnblu

THANKS, you bring back amazing memories for me. My dad bought a 1976 Series 5 LUV truck that I got and fully restored and then sold it for far more than Dad paid for it in 1986. Paid for some of my college over in Japan. I do wish I had that truck back as it was a killer truck, the Isuzu straight 4 just ran and ran. :D

Beijing vs. Peking is just a matter of which language you consider to be "Chinese": Mandarin or Cantonese. Mandarin is by far the more widely spoken language, and is the language of the Chinese government. However, early English contact with China was centered around Hong Kong, where they speak Cantonese. Eventually, we switched to the more common Mandarin pronunciations instead.

Peking (cant.) is Beijing (mand.), and Nanking is Nanjing.

Japanese, on the other hand, never had the multi-language problem, and it's also easier to pick English letters that make sense to translate to. AFAIK, there's never been an alternate way to transliterate Japanese. What is the alternate spelling of Isuzu in the video? (can't see the video)

Ah, OK, that does make sense. 's' and 'z' syllables are closely related in Japanese.

Isusu: いすす

Isuzu: いすず

If you drop the little " mark on the last syllable, they're the same. That's exactly how Kiichiro Toyoda's last name became Toyota (because 'd' and 't' are also related):

Toyoda: とよだ

Toyota: とよた

For some reason, Dad always said he wanted one of these.... He never did get one, though. Instead, when he and Mom replaced "my" 1976 Monte Carlo, they bought a 1982 Chevette. At least THAT was still RWD...lol.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_05.21.11_FrnkGrv.IL *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"So what is right and what is wrong?" __ Haddaway __ 'What Is Love?'

For some reason, Dad always said he wanted one of these.... He never did get one, though. Instead, when he and Mom replaced "my" 1976 Monte Carlo, they bought a 1982 Chevette. At least THAT was still RWD...lol.

The LUV was RWD... or 4WD.

• 3 weeks later...

The LUV was RWD... or 4WD.

*nods*

Yes, I know! I was just saying that at least the Chevette was RWD, too. ;)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_07.30.11_Cold.Treat *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Where's that shiny car? ...did it ever get you far?" __ All-American Rejects __ 'Gives You H**l'