1976 Monte Carlo Landau

(December 1998 - present)

1981 Monte Carlo SC

(December 1999 - present)

1972 Monte Carlo

(March 2002 - present)

1987 Monte Carlo LS

(November 2009 - present)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_07.30.11_Cold.Treat *

*** RE-OPENED 3rd GEN MC (1978,1979,1980) FORUM > http://thirdgenmontes.proboards.com/index.cgi ***

"What else do I have to say?" __ Billy Joel __ 'We Didn't Start The Fire'

Any car can be fun if you drive it in a crazy enough manner, but I never have the opportunity to do so.

I get a stupid grin on my face every time I drive my '81 Toronado. "Fun" doesn't always have to be apexing a corner... something that would be completely beneath my car's dignity. Fun can often times having little kids in the next car over mouthing "wow" when you glide by.

My '87 Mustang GT and my former '96 BMW M3 were dedicated fun cars, though I did at various times drive them daily...they were always #2 or #3 cars, except when I had only the Mustang for a brief period in 1997 when I moved to Colorado.

In the future, I could definitely see using a fun new car like a Charger, Mustang, Challenger or Camaro as a daily driver, as long as I'm in a climate w/o the nasty stuff..if I do move back to a climate w/ ice & snow, then I'll still probably want an SUV daily driver...

But an SUV can still be a fun car.

True enough...I've had a lot of fun on back country trails and paths w/ mine... and it's been comfortable and practical as a daily driver. I'd buy another Grand Cherokee w/o qualms, and would love to have a Wrangler for a toy..

If I had lots of garage space, I'd also love to have another type of 'fun' car--an early '70s land yacht for a car show and weekend cruiser...the ideal being a '71-72 LTD Brougham 2dr, or convertible, or a Marquis, or GM B/C/E body of the same era..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

If I had lots of garage space, I'd also love to have another type of 'fun' car--an early '70s land yacht for a car show and weekend cruiser...the ideal being a '71-72 LTD Brougham 2dr, or convertible, or a Marquis, or GM B/C/E body of the same era..

and I thought I was a masochist. :neenerneener:

and I thought I was a masochist. :neenerneener:

Yeah, I love those early '70s lower, longer, wider boats..love the long hoods and sharply chisled angular lines...liked them since childhood in the '70s.

YCRX.jpg

Took a drive in the '38 Dodge yesterday just for fun. I'm not one to waste a good apex, but that's not what that car is all about. I did end up under the hood later which wasn't planned (and therefore not much fun), but I don't regret the drive.

Most of the cars I've owned were fun in one way or another. Some were daily drivers and some were not - the best of them were fun any time I drove them.

In my neck of the woods, SUVs are only fun if you don't mind getting it all scratched up off road.

Scratches and dents are part of the 4x4 experience...within a week of buying my Grand Cherokee back in '00, I had it on rocky and muddy trails at 12k feet, drove on a 50 mile washboard dirt road, got a few scratches from tree branches, etc..

In my neck of the woods, SUVs are only fun if you don't mind getting it all scratched up off road.

Scratches and dents are part of the 4x4 experience...within a week of buying my Grand Cherokee back in '00, I had it on rocky and muddy trails at 12k feet, drove on a 50 mile washboard dirt road, got a few scratches from tree branches, etc..

Well I agree, and thats great if you have a $4000 SUV... its another thing if you have a $60K Escalade.

I've had two "SUV"s... a $180 Eagle Kammback (Gremlin body) and a $700 '76 Blazer. Both lots of fun. I would not take anything costing $10K+ where I've taken them.

A scratched up expensive SUV is even worse for me, since I like black/dark colors.

But my point is, a $20K+ SUV is a daily driver, but not a fun driver. A sub $10K SUV full of scratches can be both, IF, you are willing to be taking your boss to a business meeting (not being held at the top of Mt. Hood) in your scratched, dented up POS. ;-)

Edited by SAmadei

Well I agree, and thats great if you have a $4000 SUV... its another thing if you have a $60K Escalade.

Well, my Jeep was $32k when I bought it...it's probably worth $4000 now after 130k miles. An Escalade is inapropriate for offroad use, it's strictly for urban/suburban use.

Well, my Jeep was $32k when I bought it. An Escalade is inapropriate for offroad use, it's strictly for urban/suburban use.

Well, each his own. I would not abuse a $32K SUV any more than a $60K one.

Well, I was living in Colorado..wanted to experience the offroading and trail roads..it's a lot of fun, and the Grand Cherokee is very capable. Part of having a Jeep in Colorado is hitting the back country. I didn't buy it to just drive to the mall like all the mainstream posers.

Well, I was living in Colorado..wanted to experience the offroading and trail roads..it's a lot of fun, and the Grand Cherokee is very capable. Part of having a Jeep in Colorado is hitting the back country. I didn't buy it to just drive to the mall like all the mainstream posers.

:word: I mean, that's what Jeeps are built for, right?

Edited by Lamar

Right now the family fleet is as follows:

Daily Drivers:

1) Jeep Liberty (Main family vehicle) -- 'Poser Jeep' bought for SNOW and basic transportation. (If we wanted to off road, we'd build a CJ)

2) Ram 1500 (Company vehicle)

3) My Mustang GT 'vert. (My daily for a year now)

4) The GF's Cav (Usually does a lot of sitting as we prefer to drive the Stang. That might change in light of gas prices tho)

'Fun' Cars:

1) 68 Camaro (Was used as a semi daily driver at one time)

2) 73 Camaro (Was my daily driver for 4-5 years at one point)

3) 99 Silverado (Replaced by the Jeep as a daily; now is only used for 'truck' duties mostly, but not any 'cowboying' like off roading)

4) 82 Toyota Starlet (Was a daily driver; retired to third car status, came back as a daily driver; now has been retired again and might actually get 'scrapped' soon)

4 people, 2 houses, 8 cars (not counting the 76 Dodge Power Wagon that my GF is trying to inherit from her parents)

I ALWAYS see myself owning many, many cars. In fact, there is a 73 Jeep Commando up the street which a friend of mine just purchased that I would've bought in a heartbeat if I had the extra $$$. $1800 for what is basically a fully restored Jeep.

I'm not so sure I see myself ever owning anything new again; 1) Because it's a horrible financial decision 2) Because I want to collect old cars and 3) Because my needs are too diverse to consolidate into one specific car. Next purchase will probably be either a people mover of some sort to replace the Cav (HHR SS or some small ute) or something to either replace (the stang) or supplement the pony cars (new gen GTO or G8, 67-68 Firebird, late 50's early 60's Buick or Caddy. Or maybe even something truck or 4X4 like an old International or Bronco or a 40's-60's or 90's GM truck -- We have to have something to pull the cars and the vintage Airstream we're going to buy :D)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Right now the family fleet is as follows:

Daily Drivers:

1) Jeep Liberty (Main family vehicle) -- 'Poser Jeep' bought for SNOW and basic transportation. (If we wanted to off road, we'd build a CJ)

2) Ram 1500 (Company vehicle)

3) My Mustang GT 'vert. (My daily for a year now)

4) The GF's Cav (Usually does a lot of sitting as we prefer to drive the Stang. That might change in light of gas prices tho)

'Fun' Cars:

1) 68 Camaro (Was used as a semi daily driver at one time)

2) 73 Camaro (Was my daily driver for 4-5 years at one point)

3) 99 Silverado (Replaced by the Jeep as a daily; now is only used for 'truck' duties mostly, but not any 'cowboying' like off roading)

4) 82 Toyota Starlet (Was a daily driver; retired to third car status, came back as a daily driver; now has been retired again and might actually get 'scrapped' soon)

4 people, 2 houses, 8 cars (not counting the 76 Dodge Power Wagon that my GF is trying to inherit from her parents)

I ALWAYS see myself owning many, many cars. In fact, there is a 73 Jeep Commando up the street which a friend of mine just purchased that I would've bought in a heartbeat if I had the extra $$$. $1800 for what is basically a fully restored Jeep.

I'm not so sure I see myself ever owning anything new again; 1) Because it's a horrible financial decision 2) Because I want to collect old cars and 3) Because my needs are too diverse to consolidate into one specific car. Next purchase will probably be either a people mover of some sort to replace the Cav (HHR SS or some small ute) or something to either replace (the stang) or supplement the pony cars (new gen GTO or G8, 67-68 Firebird, late 50's early 60's Buick or Caddy. Or maybe even something truck or 4X4 like an old International or Bronco or a 40's-60's or 90's GM truck -- We have to have something to pull the cars and the vintage Airstream we're going to buy :D)

Nice fleet line-up you've got there FOG, and nice future plans too!

Nice fleet line-up you've got there FOG, and nice future plans too!

Thanks!

To be honest; only the 2 Camaros and the Stang are mine, but I've always considered it a 'family' thing because I've always been the one sort of 'in charge' of the vehicles in my family. If my Camaros needed something and I couldn't afford it, my parents helped out. If their vehicles needed something and I 'knew a guy' or how to do it, then I financed it and did it. I mean, what did my parents have to lose, right? I showed an interest and they get free maintenance. :D

One of the reasons I'm so intent on getting a 67-68 Firebird is if I ever move far away and have a place to bring my Camaros I'll probably end up leaving the '68 with my folks because they enjoy it so much. But given the job market; it doesn't look like the 'siblings' are going to be separated anytime soon anyway.

The GF's parents have a Power Wagon Club Cab that's just sitting in Asheville deteriorating. She's trying her best to get that as a project that we could both work on a bit.

(Anyway... Sorry to ramble on)

Sorry to hear about the potential demise of the Starlet. I know how much it meant to you. I've always been amused that as such a big guy you were able to fit comfortably into it.

My 05 Mustang GT functioned equally well as my fun car and DD for almost 3 years now. Unless it's a blizzard out I even drive it in the snow.

Sorry to hear about the potential demise of the Starlet. I know how much it meant to you. I've always been amused that as such a big guy you were able to fit comfortably into it.

It sucks, really.

It started having electrical problems a few years back and we can't figure out what exactly is wrong with it, so it's just sitting. I can't work on it because I'm 2 hours away so my parents are thinking about scrapping it. I always wanted to eventually drop a 350 in it but parts a becoming increasingly difficult to find. It was after all, the first car I ever rode in (ironic, given my hatred for Toyota) and it's a blast to drive since it's basically a go-cart on steroids.

We'll see though. It still has a lot of sentimental value and we did basically restore it from "totaled" once before (on the cheap).

As far as me fitting comfortably into it... Well, it's the same as any other car this side of a truck or van in that I'm cramped and I have to stop about every 2 hours for a stretch if I'm on a long trip. I already have chronic back problems just from being so big and I'm usually oversized for everything anyway so I figure a little pain and soreness is just a part of life. It was pretty funny that I would have to push the clutch in to roll down the window though. :)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree with the premise that a daily car can't be a fun car and a fun car can't be a daily car.

Agreed.

Funny ... I never made THAT distinction. Besides, ya'll should know me well enough by now that ALL of my cars are "fun" cars ... with 2 extremely OBVIOUS exceptions.... ;)

Any car can be fun if you drive it in a crazy enough manner, but I never have the opportunity to do so.

I get a stupid grin on my face every time I drive my '81 Toronado. "Fun" doesn't always have to be apexing a corner... something that would be completely beneath my car's dignity. Fun can often times having little kids in the next car over mouthing "wow" when you glide by.

EXACTLY.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_05.21.11_FrnkGrv.IL *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You really don't remember" __ Laura Branigan __ 'Gloria'