VE Ute won't be exported to US

douglask

GM’s North American boss Mark Reuss says no to current ute, for now

21 April 2011

By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS

(Original goauto.com.au article)

THE president of GM North America, former GM Holden boss Mark Reuss, has revealed that while the current VE Ute is unlikely to be exported to the US, soaring oil prices and general downsizing trends could see a future iteration end up in America wearing the Chevrolet bow tie.

Mr Reuss said at yesterday’s New York motor show opening that he is watching the evolution of the massive American truck market with interest as consumers increasingly trade the expense and bulk of a full-sized ‘pick-up’ such as the Ford F-Series and Chevrolet Silverado for smaller utilities and vans, such as the Ford Transit Connect.

Based on the first-generation (C170) Focus, the latter is a compact front-drive panel van that has found surprising success in North America since it arrived there from Europe in 2009.

“The Ford Transit connect is a good example of that – it’s a little bit ahead of its time right now.

“But that type of micro segmentation is probably really relevant so I think the industry needs to offer those sorts of (commercial vehicles).

“I get the job done and I want to do it at a lot less operating cost and I still get to enjoy my vehicle – those are the sort of things that happen with these types of situations.”

However, Mr Reuss did not close the door on US exports of Australia’s top-selling passenger car-based ute.

“The question is: are we going to bring the Holden Ute into the United States? I’m not going to talk about future product,” was Mr Reuss’ reply.

The Granite LUV Truck would be perfect for here. I had a Series 5 76 Chevy Luv truck that my dad had bought new and in 84, I restored to factory new condition and then sold it for 4K in 86 when I went off to college. My dad had paid $1576 with tax for the truck. I wish I could have kept it as I loved that truck, but time for a new awesome mini truck and the Granite could fill the niche even though a v8 powered Ute would be cool also. :P

Very sad news, and I know Camino would agree. With Mark's statement, I know not to expect to see a 2012 Chevy El Camino next year. I guess if it is to come, it will be with the 2014 re-design.

Such a shame, because no one offers a vehicle like this and GM could have had the upper hand (if sales took off, Ford would be late to the game with their Autrailian version). To move the focus of the question over to the Ford TransitConnect is lame, GM isn't going to offer a competitor to that either. He was simply avoiding the question. Sad because I thought he was the one rallying to bring the Holden products back over to the US market.

At this time, I'm planning for a fun new vehicle purchase in the next couple of years. Top of the list is the much desired GMC Sierra regular cab, shortbed 4wd pickup. A Holden Ute, even in Chevy guise, would have been a contender (yes, I know there's still time for my plan, but what about those that want one now?). GM's reluctance to bring it now doesn't give me too much hope for the future, especially if they're crying CAFE blues for future product development now.

I do hope GM reconsiders, because the Holden Ute and Sportwagon would be cool GM cars for me to drool over and dream of owning (and maybe pushing me to own one sooner rather than later).

The Granite LUV Truck would be perfect for here. I had a Series 5 76 Chevy Luv truck that my dad had bought new and in 84, I restored to factory new condition and then sold it for 4K in 86 when I went off to college. My dad had paid $1576 with tax for the truck. I wish I could have kept it as I loved that truck, but time for a new awesome mini truck and the Granite could fill the niche even though a v8 powered Ute would be cool also. :P

I could see the Granite trucklet being the main reason why GM would not want to import Holden Utes here, but even that trucklet was just a design study with no intent on production. GM's only fuel efficient truck planned for the near future is the new Chevy Colorado shown at the Thailand auto show. The only Granite model we occasionally hear about is the wagon/CUVB version. I'd bet money that you'll see the new Colorado (and hopefully the GMC version) on sale before the Granite pickup.

Maybe it can come over as a Pontiac.

No one would buy one...I mean come on now.,....

If they put the El Camino name on the Granite or that hateful little bit of ocular agony Roger posted, I'm going to hurt someone.

This might be fun to watch...

Please. I want the UTE to come here too, but let's be honest about the actual size of the market for such a vehicle.

Like the solstice, GM would quite possibly loose money on every one sold...like the solstice it would be cool.

No surprise...as usual, Australia gets the good stuff, GM gives NA more 4 cyl FWD vanilla cars.

We get the crappiest politicians, the crappiest cars...

Well, the torture quotient is higher for fans of the El Camino than any other car. No other vehicle has been so close to happening so many times only to be yanked away.

Not to mention the fact that they have been building it for other parts of the world all along - right under our noses.

Please. I want the UTE to come here too, but let's be honest about the actual size of the market for such a vehicle.

Irrelevant.

They can't build enough of them for that to matter.

It's just one excuse after another ever since 1987.

What, you're gonna buy 50,000 of them yourself?

Quite frankly, if GM were to do a modern El Camino, it should have a backseat and midgate. Elkies always had a bit of a flying buttress look to them, so this could maintain the general look but without the compromise. You know, make it a vehicle someone might have some options with. Bachelors who work in landscaping or construction just aren't this huge untapped market.

Irrelevant.

Quite frankly, if GM were to do a modern El Camino, it should have a backseat and midgate. Elkies always had a bit of a flying buttress look to them, so this could maintain the general look but without the compromise. You know, make it a vehicle someone might have some options with. Bachelors who work in landscaping or construction just aren't this huge untapped market.

You miss the point. GM couldn't build 50,000 of them no matter the demand - they have capacity for about 10% of that at best.

As for your Camino recipe, that wouldn't be an El Camino at all.

I do agree that it would be nice to have the flying buttress (and longer coupe-style doors) but a backseat is out of the question.

No, this should come here just as it is. The small numbers that they could build make it even more desireable in my book.

Edited by Camino LS6

Notice he's ruled out the VE but not the next gen one...

Defining generations on these is a bit of a murky business. Holden is on the VF at this point (same vehicle basically), and the true next gen is a ways off with the possibility of a (stupid) move to FWD.

Time to $h! or get off the pot.

Defining generations on these is a bit of a murky business. Holden is on the VF at this point (same vehicle basically), and the true next gen is a ways off with the possibility of a (stupid) move to FWD.

Hmm..well, if the next Ute is based on the '13 Malibu, then it would be appropriate to call it El Camino, since the El Camino of '64-87 was based on the Chevelle/Malibu..:)

And it's because of reasons like this I didn't buy a new GM car.

Chrysler's a mess but at least they've stayed the course with the LX/LC cars and probably will continue to do so.

I'm feeling pretty good about Chrysler right now as well.

If they put a bed on the back of the Challenger, I'd forget all about GM at this point.

Chrysler's a mess but at least they've stayed the course with the LX/LC cars and probably will continue to do so.

Yeah, Chrysler is the ticket. GM is out of the question due to the last 15 years of sticking it to us. I could likely live without an new El Camino, considering that Dodge is selling that cheap V8 sport truck, that I can drop into the weeds.

Interestingly enough, we are only 14 years from importing the Ute ourselves. Honestly, I don't think GM will beat that window.

• Agree 1

Yeah, Chrysler is the ticket. GM is out of the question due to the last 15 years of sticking it to us. I could likely live without an new El Camino, considering that Dodge is selling that cheap V8 sport truck, that I can drop into the weeds.

10+ years of Jeep ownership has made me a Mopie believer. The challenge for me will be deciding what my next new car will be, there are 4 from Chrysler that I find appealing...the Challenger, Charger, 300C, and Grand Cherokee..all are at the top of my new car shopping list.

Irrelevant.

You miss the point. GM couldn't build 50,000 of them no matter the demand - they have capacity for about 10% of that at best.

I do agree that it would be nice to have the flying buttress (and longer coupe-style doors) but a backseat is out of the question.

No, this should come here just as it is. The small numbers that they could build make it even more desireable in my book.

WHY would anyone need longer coupe-style doors?? If there's no backseat, why opt for unnecessarily long doors that do nothing except hinder ingress/egress in parking lots?? Makes no sense.

Irrelevant.

WHY would anyone need longer coupe-style doors?? If there's no backseat, why opt for unnecessarily long doors that do nothing except hinder ingress/egress in parking lots?? Makes no sense.

In a word, style.

It's what makes the flying buttress look work. If you need pragmatic, it makes the access to storage behind the seat easier. But really, an El Camino is (and always was) about style rather than pragmatism.

Well style is one reason, but more importantly its because one size does not fit all. Typical little baby sedan doors are a compromise, such as those found on tiny, little Malibus, Impalas, Chargers, G8s are a severe hinderance for my ingress/egress. Only sedan doors that I find comfortable are on the DTS and old B-bodies... H-bodies are marginal.

If your car hinders my ingress to my car, I move your car.

Actually, I have considered those awful scissor hinges as a solution to tight parking.

• Disagree 2

I think you're on to something. IIRC, Holden and GMNA are stll using two different versions of Zeta, and I don't think that changed with the updates that were recently announced. For the next full redesign, the Holden cars were to move to the GMNA version of Zeta, and at that time it may make more sense to bring them here.

The cat and mouse game for the VE is worse than Congressional debate.

Evidently both congress and Gm are stoned on some really good crap...

In a word, style.

It's what makes the flying buttress look work. If you need pragmatic, it makes the access to storage behind the seat easier. But really, an El Camino is (and always was) about style rather than pragmatism.

Amen, brother...

I think you're on to something. IIRC, Holden and GMNA are stll using two different versions of Zeta, and I don't think that changed with the updates that were recently announced. For the next full redesign, the Holden cars were to move to the GMNA version of Zeta, and at that time it may make more sense to bring them here.

Well technically, the VE is at the end of the road anyway, and the VF almost here.

So, saying that it won't come here as a VE is not saying much. It is just possible that this article is simply stating the obvious, and what we've heard about the start dates for this may still be correct.

The tone says otherwise, but the pure facts would allow for it.