Kia Optima & my opinion of Kia

siegen

I swung by the Kia dealer to take a peak at that new Optima they got. In a word, I was impressed. I'm still wary of the reliability and mechanical bits, but the styling is striking and the interior design and materials are on par with the competition. I didn't test drive it because I'm going to wait til late April to compare it to the new '12 Civic Si sedan and others, but I sat in it and examined the interior material choices. It's definitely on my test drive list now.

Must be that new Audi lead designer they nabbed.

My main gripe is that the 6MT is ONLY available on the base model with no options or packages (par for the course with these midsize sedans). But on the bright side, it's only $19k MSRP. Power to weight ratio is slightly better than the TSX. I could probably live with a base model 6MT while I switch jobs and start making my millions.

What do you guys think of the new Optima?

2011kiaoptima1.jpg

2011kiaoptima2.jpg

I love the Optima. IMO it is by far the best looking sedan in the segment. Everywhere you look you can find interesting and little details that flow together and work with each other. Two of my favorite examples are the way the chrome trim is used and how it flows into the buttom of the rear glass, and how the shape of the upper windshield frame mimics the grill. Little things most automakers don't bother with. I forget what the designer's name is but he deserves a raise for his work. I also like the C-pillar design, which isn't something you really see on other cars. IMO the whole exterior is pretty fresh and original, something that's hard to pull off these days.

I really like the driver oriented interior as well. Again, nicely detailed and I hear the materials and build quality are top notch.

My only real complaint is the SX's wheels are ugly to me and the Nexen Classe Premiere CP 662 tires aren't very good. But that's an easy fix. I'd throw on a set of 18" or 19" Evos or Unos and some good tires.

I'll take mine in blue!

2011_kia_optima_f34_ft_228111_717.jpg

2011_kia_optima_actf34_ft_228111_717.jpg

2011_kia_optima_actf34_ft_228113_717.jpg

2011_kia_optima_r34_ft_228111_717.jpg

:wub:

I do like the SX wheels, but apparently the Optima's driving dynamics aren't up to its sporty looks. The base model with the small wheels and grey interior trim looks pretty dumpy, and it's a shame that's the only model you can get a six-speed manual with. There's a $25 test drive offer going on, which I should probably take before it expires end of this month...

I disagree, I like it, it's different and one of the defining features of the car.

It looks fantastic, but I've heard it's a no-go showboat.

The SX has plenty of go, and the suspension tuning seems to be good from what I hear, its the low grip tires that ruin the fun. Easy fix.

Those rims are horrendously, comically bad.

Kia, design-wise, has come up a ways. I like the geometric of that outline in the grille, one model uses it embedded in the tails. Nothing special, understand, and my eye gravitates to geometric linework. Prolly a big 'meh' to most.

Reliability, tho is a monstrous question. I'd have to give the brand at least 10 years from now if I was shopping in this segment. Too much foul baggage.

Aftermarket suspension and wheels would be a must for it. I didn't like the wheel choices too much. The dealer had some ridiculous black rims with silver lip, 19", on the showroom cars. Didn't fit the car at all.

The fog lights and lower grille area in general are goofy. I'm not a big fan of that element.

Reliability, tho is a monstrous question. I'd have to give the brand at least 10 years from now if I was shopping in this segment. Too much foul baggage.

I feel similarly. And the resell value isn't going to be as good. The dealer is only a mile away though which makes warranty work or repairs super easy. It's one of the closest dealers to where I live.

There's a kia dealer right near me.

Initially, they were in a 2-bay concrete-block building with no showroom AT ALL.

Since the major reshuffling WRT GM's BK, the Cadillac dealer sold out to a local multi-marque dealer and vacated their building.

So now kia is in there. The immediately stuffed the lot full, but in going by there about every other day, I never see anybody there; noone walking the lot, no visiting cars parked out front, never a car carrier unloading- it's a ghost town. Which is interesting when they're advertising on local radio frequently, with the usual shouting, 'Crazy Eddie' type of beat-you-over-the-head spots screaming about the DEALS!!!

Another dealer has advertised souls for -get this- $39/mnth. These things should be flying away like free money, but not at the first dealer.

K, so I drove one for $25 today, an EX Turbo model. Lots of space, interesting looking, nice dashboard. It may aspire to be a luxury sports sedan, but it's definitely not one -- it just doesn't feel very substantial or particularly involving to drive. For a mainstream family sedan, it's fine. Definitely feels like an appliance, albeit a Michael Graves-designed one from Target.

Granted it costs $2500 more, but I'd much rather have a CC. A TSX or Regal feels way more premium than this.

Edited by pow

I sat in one at the auto show, it had leather, it was $24k maybe, but I thought the interior layout was good and materials were quite good for the under $25k price point. This car is a heck of a deal considering what you get in a $24k Camry, or even a Cruze or Civic can cost $23k. To me it is between the Optima and Sonata for best mid-size family sedan.

my experience sitting in the base model and the leather one, the base model feels a lot less expensive inside. funny how that works that way.

at one time i had interest in a base optima with stick, and there is no denying the value. but it does really lessen the car with the cheap bits.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

my experience sitting in the base model and the leather one, the base model feels a lot less expensive inside. funny how that works that way.

at one time i had interest in a base optima with stick, and there is no denying the value. but it does really lessen the car with the cheap bits.

A base model feels cheaper than a range topping one? No way!

The only things I don't like about it are the side vents (people need to stop this everything has a side vent or porthole), the wheels on the pics above (self explanatory IMHO) and the fact that there are too many buttons on the steering wheel (looks like a f###ing Playstation).

Hyundai and Kia are putting out some very good work lately.

Edited by ZL-1

Insane. Can't wrap my head around the idea that you get more if you pay more.

But if the bones of the car aren't formed right as a base model, then you're stuck with a fancy face with no (Kia) soul. Eyes black.

I think he is contrasting that with something like, the Camaro which gets you the same dash and interior bits regardless if you bought the $24k LS or the $39k SS Convertible.

For better or worse, in the Camaro's case, worse. Also you don't get the gauge pod in lower end models.

Camaro's interior is at least nicer than Challenger's. Only thing cool about the Challenger interior is the 2011 corporate steering wheel and the optional pistol grip shifter. The dash is sleepytown.

Camaro's interior is at least nicer than Challenger's. Only thing cool about the Challenger interior is the 2011 corporate steering wheel and the optional pistol grip shifter. The dash is sleepytown.

More interesting? Yes. Better quality? Not even close, at least anything below the ZL1, which isn't the same exact interior you get in the base car. Funny that.

Apparently there is some other Camaro interior I've not spent extensive time in, unlike the 2010 2LT RS which I have. I don't really qualify scratchy hard plastic surfaces nearly everywhere (including the sun visors and hand brake), the the uncomfortable steering wheel and uncomfortable shifter as high quality.

Someone point me to this higher quality interior so that I may be enlightened.

I don't really care that the plastics are hard, never have, except on the visors and hand brake, its the steering wheel and shifter that bug me. The design is great, but the materials used are not. It's bottom of the class for materials. All you need to do is touch the upper dash of the three Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro to see for yourself. That's fine, the Camaro's purpose is for performance, but its not the sort of car you use as an example of interior quality.

But don't take my word for it, because what do I know?

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/camaro/2011/

Poor visibility; ridiculous steering wheel design; compromised ergonomics; marginal interior materials; tiny trunk opening; cramped backseat.

http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/challenger/2011/

Strong V6 and V8 engines; compliant ride; spacious and comfortable cabin; huge trunk; upscale interior quality; distinctive exterior styling.

Anyway, I could have sworn this thread was about the Optima midsize sedan, not muscle cars.

Fine DF, how about from me seeing as I have a 2011 Camaro in my driveway (that I'm not all that thrilled with overall) and I've been in every car listed in this thread so far.

The Camaro does beat the Challanger in material quality for now. As Potluck said, that will probably change once the Challenger gets refreshed if the Charger and 300 are any indication. The Camaro isn't a very high hurdle for Dodge to beat, but they aren't there... yet.