Let's say

ocnblu

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you buy and why?

lower.... vibrating.... electric... penetration....

Uhh, what?!

Anyway; back on topic.

Fossil Fuel all the way!

Electric cars will not make my list until desirable electric cars are available. The Karma is awesome, but it isn't attainable.

There are conditions though. Ideally, I'd have something like a 3 modern car garage: Something to have fun with (Corvette Z06, Camaro ZL1, CTS-V, Charger SRT-8) Something for utility (GMC Terrain, Ford Flex, Jeep Grand Cherokee) and my commuter (Chevy Volt, Cruze Diesel, Focus Electric)

I don't think electric will ever be my first choice of vehicle though. Too sedate and boring.

I've said this before here) The electric car is to the ICE car what the diesel locomotive was to the steam engine. It distills the romance and life out of the machine.

Personally, I'm glad the electric car fad is gaining people... More GAS-O-LINE for my gianTass V8's

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

methinks the volt is the blueprint for the near future in terms of where the market is headed.

But the volt in concept. Now we have the concept, the execution needs to go now to the next level.

For one, the volt is basically a lard ass cruze......because not only is it heavy from being a Cruze, but also its hauling ass.....an ass made of batteries.

I have a hard time believing a 1.4l turbo 4 is needed to generate electricity for the car.....(yes i know it provides some high speed assist also). I mean really, what purpose does the turbo serve on a generator motor? Why can't they get 1.21 jigawatts from a 1.0 litre 3?

Over time the engineers will figure out more how the chassis needs to be specifically designed for this type of hybrid. And, batteries get smaller. Space utilization must increase dramatically. Weight needs to drop dramatically.

Chevy has proved the concept can work. Now its time to integrate the design and engineering more fully and specific to the concept. Not just tack more stuff onto a delta. So for 5 years at least I don't see big electric car inroads yet. We have no plan nationally for how to create and distribute the power we will need to plug in our cars anyways, anytime soon.

The Volt is where the car is going, but i still think its a part way to the eventual solution....individual wheel motors.

Edited by regfootball

The GMC Granite, if produced, has caught my eye for commuting purposes in a fuel efficient way. Diesel that gets better MPG and is affordable could definitely sway me over to that side. A Volt-ized Granite would be cool; 33 mile one-way commute to work, so all electric going; if employer puts in charging stations, then 33 miles home would also be electric based... kinda would have me interested too. But ICE all the way first and foremost.