I'm seriously starting to wonder

Camino LS6

...if I'll ever want to buy a new car again.

It isn't looking too likely.

I know the feeling.

Between shrinking engines, too many doors, wrong wheel drive and tiny interiors, I just don't know what I would buy right now even if someone else was footing the bill. Even if I do the unthinkable and get a late model truck... sports trucks are too big and heavy. Give me a modern SS454 shorty truck that can be dropped intot he weeds (with a LS7 or something).

I really want something older, but it seems like every year the project cars get exponentially rougher and rougher...

V8 available, RWD, preferably over 4000lbs. It's a small niche from Detroit..about the only '11s that fit that bill are the Challenger, Charger, and 300C. I'd consider those, along with the Grand Cherokee, Mustang, Camaro and CTS. That's about it. For used, I'd consider Panthers.

It's nice not having a car payment and my Jeep still makes the 50 mile daily commute w/ 125k, but sooner or later I'm going to need a new(er) car..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

If I could lay my hands on a disposable chunk of change, I'd rather get a quick resto-mod on a mid-'60s full-size car: in-dash A/C, overdrive trans, original motor, upgraded drums, modern tunes, done. Stock body, radials, minor tweaks toward efficiency, but not much. V-8, RWD, TONS of room, both passenger & cargo- can't beat it with a modern car. Cheaper than new, less to break, cheaper to keep, difference pays for fuel for a decade or more.

Challenger is a hot ride (still haven't sat in one or seen one up close), but being I'm not single, it's not a consideration (that, and price).

Edited by balthazar

Oh, I can see myself springing for a new truck at some point.

But cars are another story.

For me, a daily driver truck is a major overhaul in thinking. Trucks are for work... I don't want my commute to be work. I like having a proper trunk and car-like handling and comfort. Dropping a truck into the weeds tends to make the ride harsh... and I worry about the end result. I like keeping my rides shiny side up.

...and seeing that the regulators have their eyes on trucks all of the sudden, I can't help but think that honeymoon is over in a few years.

As an aside, maybe I'm crazy, but why cant' we get this:

Citroen_C6.jpg

I'd KILL for one of those.

That is a seriously cool design, even it is FWD.. :)

As far as RWD, it's so frustrating that Australia and the Middle East markets get so many great GM V8 RWD bodystyles and we get zilch..sadly, we are now the land of the vanilla FWD sedan. What happened? America once led the world in V8 RWD cars.

For me, a daily driver truck is a major overhaul in thinking. Trucks are for work... I don't want my commute to be work. I like having a proper trunk and car-like handling and comfort. Dropping a truck into the weeds tends to make the ride harsh... and I worry about the end result. I like keeping my rides shiny side up.

...and seeing that the regulators have their eyes on trucks all of the sudden, I can't help but think that honeymoon is over in a few years.

Trucks have been my "natural habitat" for decades (4wd only for the most part). So I can live with one as a daily if I have to. But I really miss having a nice new car that I really love to climb into when the work day is done.

And that's just it, I have to love a new car to buy it. Liking it isn't enough, and tolerating it is out of the question.

I couldn't go for a truck..I just don't need one.. but I do like SUVs, not weak FWD-based CUVs or truck based ones, but pure SUVs like the good Jeeps and a few others..

(though I do find the Ford Raptor strangely appealing)

That is a seriously cool design, even it is FWD.. :)

As far as RWD, it's so frustrating that Australia and the Middle East markets get so many great V8 RWD bodystyles and we get zilch..sadly, we are now the land of the vanilla FWD sedan. What happened? America once led the world in V8 RWD cars.

That situation is just plain torture.

I couldn't go for a truck..I just don't need one.. but I do like SUVs, not weak FWD-based CUVs or truck based ones, but pure SUVs like the good Jeeps and a few others..

Well, that's part of my point... Camino can use a truck double duty. I have a full size van... an old Blazer, a box van and a dumptruck if I want to haul loads. I don't need or want a truck.

What I need is a fun to drive car that I can fit comfortably in and get in and out of without a hassle. The only modern cars I have that fit the bill... the '99 Bonne and '95 Caprice are both on the disabled list and have no current production counterparts.. or won't soon. Nearly everything is a 4-door, which, for me, feels like I'm trying to climb through a pet door... and 4 door SUVs are like climbing up through a pet door on the second floor.

Nothing fits behind me, as the seat is always as far back as possible and usually in a ghetto lean-back position... and I still have hardly any freedom of movement. If the vehicle is less than 75" wide, my shoulder is over hanging the passenger seat. If I turn the wheel too fast, someone is going to get elbowed in the face. I drive in fear of any accident, as any cabin intrusion is space I'm already using.

Again, I'm not freakishly large... but I'm at the 99th percentile. And I have a lot of friends who are of similar size... but they just buy a huge SUV. They are not going to be happy if they can't continue with that bliss.

The stuff from the 80s and 90s isn't all that bad to work with, although I admit that the trend is certainly in that direction.

Even so, the cars from the last 20 years I would want to mess with tend to have excellent support in the aftermarket and can be made into real monsters. Laptop tuning shows amazing results, for example.

I'll grant that the complexity is a factor, and the tools are different, but it is still a doable thing.

I could be pretty happy with another modern GTO.

The issue for me is that the pool of worthy cars is fast drying-up, with few new ones being added.

All the more reason I hope I can buy a brand new, full-size GMC Sierra in the very near future.

Trucks have been my "natural habitat" for decades (4wd only for the most part). So I can live with one as a daily if I have to. But I really miss having a nice new car that I really love to climb into when the work day is done.

And that's just it, I have to love a new car to buy it. Liking it isn't enough, and tolerating it is out of the question.

I'm lucky to have the best of both worlds... I get the truck (Envoy) and the car (the wife's G6). Neither one may be perfect in the eyes of certain C&G members, but I do get to have my cake and ice cream too :P But I prefer driving a truck or SUV over a car any day - like some here prefer their sport coupe or sedan, I feel at home behind the wheel of a truck and nothing else can satisfy me that way.

I could be pretty happy with another modern GTO.

Here you go (now for someone to make it real):

IMG_20110105_205923.jpg

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I can't say I totally agree with you Camino. Yes, the future is gloomy, and today is not that much brighter. But there are some great cars on the market if you're into FWD, sedans, and semi-appliances (aka "new cars") :P I will admit that I like the new Buick LaCrosse, and that's the car on the wife's radar for her next vehicle purchase (or a CTS if we hit the lottery). It would suit my family well, though we're five now and need "bigger"; however, the LaCrosse is bigger than the G6 so it would fit the bill. We like the new Buick Verano, though it's a bit small for my own personal tastes, but it would suite our commute to work (better fuel efficiency but not a great family hauler like the LaCrosse). I think the Camaro is a great first effort for the new GM, even though it has its flaws I still enjoy seeing everyone I can on the road. The new Jeep Grand Cherokee has gotten me interested again in owning a Jeep vehicle outside of the Wrangler, which is not the best family hauler (and hence, not parked in my garage). And as much as a BOF truck-guy that I am, the GMC Terrain, Cadillac SRX and new Ford Explorer - CUVs at their best - definitely have caught my eye.

Yes, the vehicles I mentioned above, and many others not mentioned, are not for everyone - especially not for you Camino. I pray everyday that GM opens their eyes up and takes a risk by offering more Zeta products here - the Ute, the Commodore (yes, I know it's suppose to come as a Chevy SS sedan or something, but enough with the rumors), and especuially the wagon, would be great to offer to the US buying public. Heck, take the even bigger risk and make the Holden Coupe 60 a reality. Call it a Chevelle, call it an Impala SS Coupe, call it whatever as long as it's on the lots for people to buy. Make a full-size, 2-door (or 3-door) SUV again to be different from the rest of the market (let them follow you for a change). Enough of the people saying GM can't afford to take risks on niche cars and trucks right now - if GM doesn't offer some of their enthusiasts what they really desire, then GM may not be around long enough anyway to offer anything.

Camino, my friend, one day soon I know you'll be telling us about the new car you just drove off the lot with, smile wider than the horizon. Have patience, like many of us, and you will be rewarded.

I wholeheartedy endorse that second paragraph, Roger.

And I hope what you say in the third is what happens.

But as of today, I'm not seeing it.

I feel your pain, I really do. You can't have what you want because it's not offered for sale here in the good ol' US of A, and I can't have what I want because I don't have the money/credit to buy what I want (Sierra). Such a shame for both of us...

Beats talking about NAIAS.

exactly / LMAO

IMO all that is happening right now is just a further repackaging of all the same stuff that has occurred since o, 88 or so when the W bodies came out.

The new cruze is the new grand am

the new regal is just the new midsize

the XTS is a new DTS

and that's not really bad.

we have the Volt, but perhaps a new Fiero would have been more exciting.

at the same time, people are drawn to buying off the shelf.

Edited by regfootball

I've just "gotta" buy a new Focus ... eventually

cuz I wouldn't feel right turning a used car (or new other mfg) into my new MERCURY C557

that I've been fixated on since the C1 Focus came out**

:)

&

...it would be nice to say "wow" about new product again.

I said "wow" today = Kia Optima at dealer car show

&

Couldn't we combine this with the 7 identical threads that have popped up in 3 month intervals since the beginning of time? It would save everyone a lot of typing.

that sounds like it'd be even more typing imho

ps**

as for wrong-wheel-drive

for me, if ANY wheels are turning, that's just fine

tho ideally I'd prefer a VirtualAWD

Edited by 2b2

Yesterday I borrowed a "new" car with 5,000 miles on it, and even though it was just a Scion xB, it was a nice change from the 95,000 mile car I usually drive. It was nice being in a car free of rattles, window pitting, tramlining, engine vibrations, and worn out upholstery. I suppose I could spend thousands on my car taking the interior apart, replacing the windshield, getting new control arm bushings and ball joints, new engine mounts and new upholstery, and make it like new again, but it's just not worth it on a car worth $7,000.

Edited by pow

these days I am excited by any car that doesn't drain my bank account, doesn't require trips to the shop, and has lots of tech options.

And one that gets around nicely in all this miserable effing snow this year.

The tech options I want aren't offered. I want a Linux based car-puter that automatically streams video/GPS/running statistics to a off-shore colocation where I have my servers at.

I also want one of those '50s style "extra wheels" systems that allows you to drive sideways into a tight parallel parking spot.

A smoke screen/oil slick option would be nice, too. On demand. I already have cars that leak and smoke constantly. ;-)

I find that there's plenty to get exited about still for me:

<pics of good stuff>

And that's just a few off the top of my head.

Yes, same here...like all those...wouldn't mind having any of those in my garage..the good stuff is all $30-40k minimum, though...anything under that are FWD appliances...

I wouldn't mind having a 3 car garage w/ the Grand Cherokee, Charger, and Challenger. That would suit me fine for the next 10 years... Alas, back to reality. I can afford 1 of those 3 new, which to pick?

DF, none but the Durango are really new (maybe the Charger). Also, when I say "truck" I include SUVs - I am not griping about SUVs.

As for the rest, the four doors don't count for me which leaves me with a tiny list of cars I like but don't consider "must have". Only the Challenger even tempts me as a new car, and the rest I would only consider as used cars.

The real gripe for me is that it would seem that the future holds nothing short of extinction for the sort of car I love - and that's downright depressing.

When you get right down to it, each of the Big3 have exactly one quasi-affordable RWD 2-door. That's not what I'd call a wide range of choice.

Edited by Camino LS6

Yes, same here...like all those...wouldn't mind having any of those in my garage..the good stuff is all $30-40k minimum, though...anything under that are FWD appliances...

Well not really, The base muscle cars start around $20-$23k, and that gets you a powerful V6, even in the Challenger now. Besides teh soundttrack, there's no pentaly for not getting the V8.

Well not really, The base muscle cars start around $20-$23k, and that gets you a powerful V6, even in the Challenger now. Besides the soundttrack, there's no penalty for not getting the V8.

The way I like em equipped they are $35k or so...V8 and loaded. I've priced out the Charger R/T, Mustang GT, Camaro SS, Challenger R/T online a few times.. which is reasonable, my Jeep was over $30k when I bought it in '00...a similarly equipped V6 GC Laredo would be close to $40k now.

I'm holding off on pulling the trigger on a new car for right now, got a bigger purchase in mind in the next 12 months or so..

• 4 weeks later...

2011_dodge_charger_f34_fd_1104105_717.jpg

THIS is what I'd LOVE to have as a new daily driver; the '79 CC would then be kept for "pleasure" driving....I think.

BUT ... while I could afford it if I pinched here and there ... I can't seem to justify DOUBLING my monthly insurance rates for just ONE car. Yes, the Charger is about how much per month that I pay for all SIX of my current cars.....

*sighs*

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_05.21.11_FrnkGrv.IL *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Why can't that be me?" __ 3 Doors Down __ 'If I Could Be Like That'