Feds May Overhaul Fuel Standards for Big SUVs

Variance

Detroit 2011: Feds May Overhaul Fuel Standards for Big SUVs

Date posted: 03-23-2006

WASHINGTON, D.C. — General Motors is expected to be hit the hardest by a Bush administration plan to subject the biggest vans and sport-utility vehicles to fuel economy standards by 2011 for the first time, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The Journal says the administration plans to exempt pickup trucks, which constitute the vast majority of vehicles over 8,500 pounds.

The largest SUVs, vans and trucks — those weighing between 8,500 and 10,000 pounds — have been exempt from fuel economy rules since they were set in the 1970s.

GM products such as the Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon XL and Hummer H2 would be hit hardest by any new rules. The administration estimates that requiring these vehicles to improve their mileage would save a half-billion gallons of fuel in 2011 and would cost manufacturers $900 to $2,800 per vehicle. The new rules could force automakers to use lighter materials and use advanced-tech systems to save fuel.

What this means to you: It probably means fewer big boys out tooling around on the road by 2011.

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109739

Why would GM be hit hardest? They have the most efficient SUV fleet as it is.  They also have Duramax.... throw that in and voila, instant MPG lift.

They sell the most. Where did the half billion gallons come from? That sounds like BS. That would be equivalent to 667,000 Large suvs, all getting 10mpg better than they do now. I dont think the market is anywhere close to that, and 10mpg more per truck would cost alot more than $2900 per vehicle.

this is dumb.....if i want to pay for the gas is my suburban, why shouldn't I be able to just pay for it and still keep driving, especially since the new one im looking at is E85 compatible and I will most likely be using it. All it is going to do is make a new suburban more costly for me to drive.

GM will be fine...

By then the SUVs will probably be able to meet or beat any proposed ratings anyway (Remember, this will get watered down just like any other 'plan')

If anything it'll seal the thirsty imports out of the niche because their more thirsty designs won't fly (Not that they're in the segment that much as it is, but you know they want to be)

The headline about GM is just that; another "Die, GM, Die" headline.

this is dumb.....if i want to pay for the gas is my suburban, why shouldn't I be able to just pay for it and still keep driving, especially since the new one im looking at is E85 compatible and I will most likely be using it.  All it is going to do is make a new suburban more costly for me to drive.

Because ALL of the do-gooder, over the hill yuppies and bark hugging hippies seem to think that they can impose their lifestyles on everyone else. People whine about christians forcing their agendas then ignore these types...

One day I'll have an H2 and it'll say one it (F*** you hippie, I don't CARE about your kids, I'M not having any!)

Because ALL of the do-gooder, over the hill yuppies and bark hugging hippies seem to think that they can impose their lifestyles on everyone else. People whine about christians forcing their agendas then ignore these types...

One day I'll have an H2 and it'll say one it (F*** you hippie, I don't CARE about your kids, I'M not having any!)

AMEN BROTHER~~!!! except i want kids, lmao