Have you voted yet?

Camino LS6

Voting is one of my few points of disagreement with Carlin.

The way I see it, voting gives you a license to bitch. If you don't vote then you should just STFU.

A cake made out of horse $h!, is still $h! even if one changes it's contents to cow $h!.

A.K.A. The system is screwed, and swapping one crook for another isn't worth my time.

The way I see it as long as these incompetent politicians have their hands in my pocket and noses in my business, I have a reason to bitch regardless of my stance on voting.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

Voted last Monday.

(We're talking about the vote for Mayor of Toronto, right?) :neenerneener:

Speaking of which, the fat angry dumbass won. Seriously, the new mayor reminds me of Peter Griffin. Here's a rundown of his exploits:

Since being elected as councillor in 2000, Rob Ford has been no stranger to controversy:

• March 6, 2002: Mr. Ford calls fellow Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti a “Gino boy.”

• July 19, 2005: Mr. Ford and fellow Etobicoke councillor Gloria Lindsay Luby get into a name-calling spat. Ms. Luby calls Mr. Ford a jerk; he calls her a “waste of skin.”

• April 15, 2006: Mr. Ford shouts at out-of-town fans during a Maple Leafs game, calling them “communists.” “It’s hard to be thrown out of [a] hockey game when you weren’t even there,” he tells a National Post reporter. But later he admits: “I had one too many beers and I sincerely apologize. I’m only human, and I made a mistake.”

• June 28, 2006: Mr. Ford declares during a debate on health grants: “If you not doing needles and you’re not gay, you wouldn’t get AIDS probably.”

• March 5, 2008: Mr. Ford suggests “Oriental” people are “taking over” because of their work ethic. “Go to Hong Kong, okay? I’ve been there. You want to see workaholics? Those Oriental people work like dogs.” (He later apologizes for using “Oriental,” but insists Asians are hard-working.)

• March 26, 2008: Mr. Ford is charged with assaulting his wife and uttering a death threat. Mr. Ford told police his wife’s behaviour was “out of control.” On May 21, the charges were dropped.

• March 25, 2010: Mr. Ford announces run for mayor.

• June 4, 2010: A man asks Mr. Ford about buying the painkiller Oxycontin. “I’ll try buddy. I’ll try,” Mr. Ford says in a 52-minute taped conversation. Mr. Ford later says he did not intend to buy the drugs, but only wanted to get the man off the phone.

• Aug 19, 2010: Mr. Ford admits that on Feb. 15, 1999, he was arrested in Miami, Fla., for possession of marijuana and failure to produce a breath sample, after a date with his then-fiancée. The pot charges were dismissed; Ford was convicted of driving under the influence. He paid a $664 fine and served 50 hours of community service coaching football.—Kevin Gallagher and Mary Vallis, National Post

I'm scared about what he's going to say now that he's mayor and representing our city....

Voted, and then got some lunch.

The only candidates I've really paid attention to is for MA governor. I voted for Patrick because while he has increased state spending, a lot of it has gone towards renovating and rebuilding bridges. That's something that has been needed to be done for decades. The Republican running against him, I can't remember his name, just that he's angry, plans to cut that budget in half. I guess he missed all of the recent stories about chunks of bridges collapsing on major roads.

• Agree 2

A cake made out of horse $h!, is still $h! even if one changes it's contents to cow $h!.

A.K.A. The system is screwed, and swapping one crook for another isn't worth my time.

The way I see it as long as these incompetent politicians have their hands in my pocket and noses in my business, I have a reason to bitch regardless of my stance on voting.

No, I don't think you do.

If you just made it a rule to vote out all incumbents each time, I'd be with you.

As it is, when you don't vote at all, you invite those same sleazebags to ignore any and all of your rights.

And they will.

So, my friend, I have to say that you and George have got this one wrong.

I agree with both of you on most things, but strongly oppose your positons on this.

• Agree 2

If you just made it a rule to vote out all incumbents each time, I'd be with you.

That logic, it could be argued, got Obama voted. In that election, I couldn't vote for either.

As well, in this election, there's no compelling reason for me to vote. The only meaningful position up for vote is a House seat... and its one of the few incumbents I can stomach.

Carlin's opinion is lighthearted, but not real realistic... so I don't automatically not vote. But I still abhor the election process, from the lying scumbags running, to the lobbyists, to even the local-level amateurs with their fake smiles and handshakes as you fight your way through the "community" to get to the poll. I feel cleaner after sifting the cat's litter box.

Edited by SAmadei

That logic, it could be argued, got Obama voted. In that election, I couldn't vote for either.

\

My teenage daughter voted for Nader in that election...as she didn't like Obama or McCain.

I voted earlier today, voted for Strickland, as I think Kaisich is a total asshat. Hope he doesn't become governor of Ohio, but IIRC he was ahead in the polls.

Stole a page from Camino's playbook and voted for several Libertarians.

Voted for a few local republicans that I thought would do well, including a decent guy running for county commissioner.

"Election Day is next Tuesday. According to a new poll, one out of three voters is still undecided. It's a tough choice. Do you vote for the people who got us into this mess, or the people who can't get us out of this mess?" - Jay Leno

• Agree 3

No, I don't think you do.

As it is, when you don't vote at all, you invite those same sleazebags to ignore any and all of your rights.

And they will.

So, my friend, I have to say that you and George have got this one wrong.

I agree with both of you on most things, but strongly oppose your positons on this.

Do you think that outcomes would be any different if voting rates were double what they are now? I'm skeptical.

Do you think that outcomes would be any different if voting rates were double what they are now? I'm skeptical.

Short answer: Yes

In this particular election, perhaps not so much. But in general, voting rates double what we now have could only represent the population better. It would also shorten the leash on the politicians considerably.

Speaking of which, and noting Stang's cartoon, I hope the GOP realizes what a short leash they are on right now. If they ignore that reality, they'll be the ones licking their wounds in 2012.

It is always, always, better when more of us vote. It preserves the very idea upon which this nation was founded.

The converse is also true.

Those rights are/will vaporize/vaporizing anyway.

As a conflict theorist, to me, one of the only truths in life is that EVERY human being is motivated ONLY by some sort of personal gain. You fulfill a need to exercise your rights by voting, that is your motivation. I reinforce my disgust with my life and the system by not allowing anyone my support; that is my motivation.

What we called the american dream is too far gone too save; the people on top will continue to step on you and I until the tower collapses. That's all we have left IMO. The best I can do is live my life to it's fullest with what I have. And that means (for me, someone who is sometimes easily worked up) eliminating extraneous bull$h! that causes stress. Extraneous bull$h! tends to include MOST to ALL politics, people who exist in drama and 98.5% of the news and media (gossip).

That's a bleak outlook, I know. But that's who I am. (I say this to justify my actions to those of you I respect)

Besides, Gore vs. Bush proved that the popular vote means absolutely nothing. The people who hold the power (society's elite) will CONTINUE to hold the power.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM
  • Disagree 3

Besides, Gore vs. Bush proved that the popular vote means absolutely nothing. The people who hold the power (society's elite) will CONTINUE to hold the power.

It doesn't mean nothing; it just showed that the candidates were virtually equally bad (or good), so it didn't really matter which we ended up with.

"I'm not a witch"

lol

so this ex sheriff (like 33 years) retired is running for a county comish spot. his platform is fire county workers, cut their pay, cut budgets, cut fire, police....

says he will take the co comish job with a 10k paycut and no per diem.

nice. has anyone asked him if he is getting a police pension?

can you say 'double dipping'?

FOG, I'll let the issue drop with you right here. If we were sitting around the same table I would not. I'll leave you with this thought:

Even if I agree with your assessment of our current status, I would still consider exercising my right to vote to be critical. The reason is simple: even if America is dead, I demand to have the right to vote in what comes after. And I will demand it as long as I live.

I voted on about half of the things on my ballet. In general, I voted for the person that had the least negative advertising against their opponent, had the best education and professional credentials, and had the least amount of political rhetoric in their statements. I didn't have much time to research everything as thoroughly as I'd like.

I voted last week via mail.

Filling out the ballot took over an hr..what with 35 or so judges and a dozen people running for the water commission....had to do a bit of fact checking on each to determine y/n on each. And about a dozen propositions to research.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Voted. The whole experience took about 10 minutes, mainly because there was no line to speak of and the parking lot was half empty. For the entire day, the voting machine had processed 341 ballots. NYS is in such deep doo-doo, and for all the complaining that I hear, noone seems to weant to do anything about it. Apathy will be our undoing.

I voted last week via mail.

Filling out the ballot took over an hr..what with 35 or so judges and a dozen people running for the water commission....had to do a bit of fact checking on each to determine y/n on each. And about a dozen propositions to research.

Same. Voting absentee is great.

In b4 this thread gets moved/locked.

I voted and frankly I have a hard time respecting anyone who doesn't. Especially if they then complain about the way things are/were/will be. Its the one way EVERY American is able to make their voice heard.

• Agree 3

Voted. Short ballot here in Jersey. Have voted in every presidential since I was eligible, and every state/local since becoming a homeowner.

I understand FOG's general 'bleak' POV; my position is at the very least- my vote has the potential to uproot the entrenched and require the newcomers to scramble to build their snake oil stands all over.

The country would benefit from higher turnout in primary elections. We'd get fewer uncompromising extremists. Nothing is going to happen in the next 2 years, all because there are going to be a few senators and congressmen who are completely unwilling to listen to the other side.

Voted this morning before work. Everyone I voted for lost, but that's the Delaware factor for you. Too small & the big play too dirty.

Shame. But yes, voting gives you the open door to complain, and so I will.

Those rights are/will vaporize/vaporizing anyway.

As a conflict theorist, to me, one of the only truths in life is that EVERY human being is motivated ONLY by some sort of personal gain. You fulfill a need to exercise your rights by voting, that is your motivation. I reinforce my disgust with my life and the system by not allowing anyone my support; that is my motivation.

What we called the american dream is too far gone too save; the people on top will continue to step on you and I until the tower collapses. That's all we have left IMO. The best I can do is live my life to it's fullest with what I have. And that means (for me, someone who is sometimes easily worked up) eliminating extraneous bull$h! that causes stress. Extraneous bull$h! tends to include MOST to ALL politics, people who exist in drama and 98.5% of the news and media (gossip).

That's a bleak outlook, I know. But that's who I am. (I say this to justify my actions to those of you I respect)

I feel compelled to offer some words on how that may not be completely accurate. In a recent district referendum, a local city library approached the district for wider funding regions to change their name from a municipal library, to a regional one. Basically, they need more money for a renovation and can't possibly fund it by the city alone, so they wanted to tap the outside communities (Areas E, F & H) by throwing them 'outreach' library sites where you can request a book and get it some time a week later, whoopie. The cost is 10 cents per $1000 of additional property taxes... or roughly an additional average if $30 annually per household. OKAY, that out of the way, the vote in one Area passed by 3 votes with a 30% turnout rate. Those whom chose not to vote at all, essentially voted for a tax increase. A careful review of the areas indicated that most were indifferent to the needs of the library, but certainly were against additional taxes.

So, by your rationale of the system, even the stupidest bill, reform, tax or law could easily pass with a meager amount of support because there are simply too few people to bother turning out to vote against it. That's why we'll be seeing our property taxes increase an additional 5% next year.

In b4 this thread gets moved/locked.

I voted and frankly I have a hard time respecting anyone who doesn't. Especially if they then complain about the way things are/were/will be. Its the one way EVERY American is able to make their voice heard.

I've always found the "if you don't vote, you can't bitch" argument to be juvenile.

Again; as long as YOUR government has it's hands in my pocket and dictates the way I live, I have every right in the world to bitch. Voting is useless, because it WILL NOT change the way I exist or the way your government INTERFERES with my life. How much has your standard of living improved in the last 30... 20... 10... Even 5 years because of what you wrote on that ballot. Those people (the elite) are so far removed from the way normal people exist that it is impossible for them to understand.

Im not encouraging anyone to take my stance. Frankly, it sucks that I feel that way about the state of our country and my life. But I'm just a realist and I have to find the best way for MYSELF to exist. (If anything, politics have taught me to look out for number one)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I feel compelled to offer some words on how that may not be completely accurate. In a recent district referendum, a local city library approached the district for wider funding regions to change their name from a municipal library, to a regional one. Basically, they need more money for a renovation and can't possibly fund it by the city alone, so they wanted to tap the outside communities (Areas E, F & H) by throwing them 'outreach' library sites where you can request a book and get it some time a week later, whoopie. The cost is 10 cents per $1000 of additional property taxes... or roughly an additional average if $30 annually per household. OKAY, that out of the way, the vote in one Area passed by 3 votes with a 30% turnout rate. Those whom chose not to vote at all, essentially voted for a tax increase. A careful review of the areas indicated that most were indifferent to the needs of the library, but certainly were against additional taxes.

So, by your rationale of the system, even the stupidest bill, reform, tax or law could easily pass with a meager amount of support because there are simply too few people to bother turning out to vote against it. That's why we'll be seeing our property taxes increase an additional 5% next year.

And I can counter that by saying 'the squeaky wheel always gets the grease'. If there is an agenda that politicians really want to accomplish, it'll get accomplished eventually anyway. Maybe not THIS TIME, but the same proposition will continue to float over and over again until "we the people" either tire of it or forget about it.

That happens here in NC all the time. They'll either continue to push the issue until people throw their hands up or they'll sneak a law through, last minute.

CAFE is a classic example of this in our industry. It's virtually worthless, everyone knows that, yet it was pushed and pushed until finally EVEN DETROIT said "Whatever, man" and the wishes of the whiners became the law.

On a related note, we had a HUGE fight here in Charlotte last time over a $.03 per $1000 mass transit tax that would fund the expansion of the light rail. People were SUPER pissed about "increased taxes". I really didnt see what the big deal was. I mean, $.03, really? But watching people yell at each other was good for a few laughs.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

This thread is not, as Oldsmoboi says, completely apolitical. I see at least 3 people going over the line with their comments. At least the incendiary comments did not actually ignite an argument, so that's something I guess.

Edited by ocnblu