Will GM be smart enough to bring us all of Opel?

Dsuupr

As I was checking out the Opel / Vauxhall website I noticed some cars that could be really hot here (though not all of us on this board would be into them).

Corsa - perfect for people who look for high gas mileage

Posted Image

Agila - Great for those foreign car buyers into boxes (a new hit item, xb?)

Posted Image

Meriva - Perfect scion, small Japanese product fighter (xa?)

Posted Image

Astra - We already know about this beauty

Posted Image

Zafira - Definite West Coast hit for small families especially with the high gas costs of today

Posted Image

Vectra - We already know we are going to get this, but what about different variants?

Posted Image

Tigra Twin Top - This would do to Saturn what the Miata did to Mazda

Posted Image

Vivaro - It might be ugly like the Mercedes version, but wow has the Mercedes version been successful here in the states.

Posted Image

Movano - Same as the Vivaro

Posted Image

Some ideas outside of Opel

Cruze - Something new that no one offers. Would be hot for new young hip buyers

Posted Image

Adventura - Subaru competitor

Posted Image

They've done all the designing work, now they just need to find a flexible enough plant to bring them all here. This would give Saturn a full line to compete with companies like toyota and honda.

I think Astra Vectra and Tigra would be the logical ones for US. Meriva and Corsa wouldn't fit Opel's positioning, no point with Zafira if we get OUTLOOK, the others are just not suitable for Saturn or the US market in general. Of course, Tigra is the only one we aren't getting as of now.

The Epsilon II Aura will basically be a Epsilon II Vectra. The Astra is rumored to become the next ION.

I could see the Zafira coming here as a Mazda5 fighter (how are those selling anyways?) and maybe the Tigra, but it seems like that's why we have the Sky. I don't really see most of them coming here though.

The Epsilon II Aura will basically be a Epsilon II Vectra. The Astra is rumored to become the next ION.

I could see the Zafira coming here as a Mazda5 fighter (how are those selling anyways?) and maybe the Tigra, but it seems like that's why we have the Sky. I don't really see most of them coming here though.

SKY is a lot smaller than Tigra. I believe Tigra is Astra-based?

SKY is a lot smaller than Tigra.  I believe Tigra is Astra-based?

The Tigra is 154.3 inches long, and the Sky is 161.1 inches long, so the Tigra is actually smaller and they're still similar in size. I see no reason why anyone would buy a Tigra unless they wanted it just for FWD.

The problem is that GM NA has to tweak the designs before they will bring them here. They will americanize the suspensions and engine/drivetrains. The result will not be an Opel at all. The worst is the powers that be at GM will not have a clue as to why the Opels don't sell well here.

Listen GM bing the Opels here JUST AS THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is that GM NA has to tweak the designs before they will bring them here.  They will americanize the suspensions and engine/drivetrains.  The result will not be an Opel at all.  The worst is the powers that be at GM will not have a clue as to why the Opels don't sell well here.

Listen GM bing the Opels here JUST AS THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!!

They are going to bring the Opels here as they are. Lutz is not very happy that the Malibu and G6 suspensions got Americanized and soften, and he said that would not happen in the future.

They are going to bring the Opels here as they are. Lutz is not very happy that the Malibu and G6 suspensions got Americanized and soften, and he said that would not happen in the future.

Exactly, plus they don't want to have the development cost. There will likely have to be differences (emissions, safety, etc), but they want to keep it to a minimum. If anyone hasn't read Lutz's recent comments about it, you should. It was directly said that they will change as little as possible, and the suspension was specifically addressed in this.

Anyone know the approx weights & such for the listed Opels? It's sometimes hard to tell a minivan sized vehicle from something much smaller, but with dimensions that are proportional (xA, for example).

Edited by PurdueGuy

I can see a lot of the smaller Opels that appeal to the economy class will probably be phased out in order to accomodate Chevrolet in Europe. I see Opel going upscale to mid-luxury status. It will be placed in between Chevy and Cadillac eventually.

It will just take few years for this to come to fruition.

Edited by Cadillacfan

The small ones would be great for GMs green image, even if they don't sell in the Tahoe like numbers. Sometimes having a certain type of car is not about being the best seller but improving your image.

Many complain that GM just doesn't pay attention to the market place by offering over sized gas hogs. With Saturn having the capability to take from Opel they could change this image without much work.

It looks like they are not going to use the euro engines but will use the heavier NA cast iron pushrod 3.5 litre V6. This will mean a definite change in the suspension and balance of the car. I am afraid it will not drive with the same dynamics as the euro version.

Edited by andretti

It looks like they are not going to use the euro engines but will use the heavier NA cast iron pushrod 3.5 litre V6.  This will mean a definite change in the suspension and balance of the car.  I am afraid it will not drive with the same dynamics as the euro version.

Not really valid. The Aura is Bigger with a longer WB then Vectra.