30 Days Hath September

ocnblu

ooh first cars up... this sat in a used car lot for about a week. it had been sitting for sale at a local gas station before that. painted a 2001 bmw silver. fawn interior, 389 4bbl.30 over with a comp cam, 3sp th400. originally white, it had factory air which was removed for some dumb dumb reason, needed a radio, and all the trim needed replacing or replating. the paint was immaculate and of course no price... i'd imagin he wanted 15-17K but the car was a 12-15K at its very best day. had 47,000 on the odometer but thats prolly the second time around, who knows maybe not...

0818102313a.jpg

0818102317a.jpg

then theres this guy... im not sure what to make of it... it reminds me of the pre-GN packages that ran around in 83... there was one in anderson that was the grey on black "prototype" non turbo GN's before the omminous all black ones showed up. any guesses?

downsize-27.jpg

I am liking that '64 Cat, cletus. That's a '65 or so emblem on the front fender, and the 389 must likewise be a retro-fit, as only GTOs & GPs had the block-mounted starter that would allow a THM400 retro-fit. Bumper's tweaked. The A/C removal IS a puzzler- PMD had such a smartly-engineered system back then, including the under-steering-column 'crotch cooler' vent. Condition gripes aside, still some fantastic lines, one of the best ever.

Saw a black '11 Grand Cherokee this morning, first I've seen on the street..very sharp. Also saw a very sharp black '10 Taurus SHO w/ dark window tint and a set of subtle aftermarket rims that had black spokes.

I've seen a bunch of Old Pontiacs lately, including a whole bunch of ragtops...

57 ragtop, silver, white interior and top, flawless...

58 ragtop, green on green, funky two toneish green interior, black top, needed some resto work but looked solid...

59-Black with white top and a black interior, red with red interior and white top, and a four door 59 Pontiac, funky shade of blue, the more door was kind of a running parts car...all there...and going down Ohio rt 315

60-Maroon ragtop up at the car show north of Kroger's on Hoover road, black interior, nice...good chrome on that one.

62-Another full size ragtop, 3x white, and another Grand Prix in maroon...

63-really cool pictures of a vintage Pontiac drag car from one of the websites I visited, kind of a cool year...got to love full size GM cars from that era as drag cars...also...a Pontiac magazine ran an article about a guy who built a "Bubble top" one of none phantom that was cool also...

64-Two door hardtop and a four door post car....four door post car was black and indecent shape...

65 Grand Prix-haven't seen these around forever....black one lives over near my friend Doug...another one in a garage in grove city here...another one lives down ehind the community market in Chilicothe...yet another one in black primer has started coming to local shows...

65 GTO-Nice triple black tri power car at a local show, very clean gold car with a black vynal top...and a silverish car...right in the drive through right across the street from where I bought my 66 Mustang fastback back in 93...

(Continued next post...)

now THAT GTO was unmolested completely, original hub caps, 78 series bias ply tires that were not repops...driven by a very old African American gentleman....just out for a Wendy's burger on a Saturday afternoon....

66-Full size 2 + 2 ragtop, originally blue on blue with a white top, now white on blue with a white top...at a local car show....guy had PHS documentation showing it was a "real" 2 + 2 ragtop...I've learned not to use the term rare with balthazar, but that has to be an uncommon car to say the least...

67-GTO ragtop and three or four really nice hardtops...another hardtop made into a funky but cool custom...and a donked 67 goat. Also a couple of really nice 66 hardtops, including a really nice 3 x blue tri power car. Also a very high optioned 66 maroon on black car I almost forgot about....and a post car, which also wasn't terribly common, although i believe several thousand of those were built in 66...

68-full size Bonneville in a bad neighborhood, still being used as a driver...very rusty wagon in an alley...a GTO without the hideaway headlights or Endura bumper...blue...a very nice Verdero green GTO hardtop...and a Firebird doing the two lane boogie at the strip...

69-unrestored, preserved somwhat but showing age GTO, blue, at a local car show...I kind of like them that way. Full size Gold Bonneville two door...decent but not nice...

70-GTO Judge ragtop, real GTO but the judge part was cloned, red with a white interior...

71-red (now faded orange) Lemans Sport Ragtop sitting outside of a body shop down off of Leonard Avenue...nice 66-67 aqua blue Chevy II sitting there with it...

71 Full size donkmobile with what had to be 28" wheels going down 5th avenue by United Refrigeration Sales Wednesday afternoon...

72-full size two door down south on US 23....again, kind pf a funky don't look at me gold with a gold vinyl top...driven by a very large, older woman....

74-Trans Am in a junkyard, now crushed...was mostly a rusty shell with nothing left...

78ish-blue on blue trans am, sitting behind a trailer on an old dirt road, looked like it had been parked a long time...

Blue G8 that showed up at the Porsche club/Mercedes Benz club auto cross...

Maroon 2005ish GTO that has been showing up at a few local SCCA events...

In pics only, but a neat 74 GTO that had been made into a neat little bracket/drag car, think that would be a cool alternative to a Nova as a drag car...

Neat discussion at Jegs with a guy who was restoring a 67 GTO...

(continued)

Nice 58 Chevy, Balthazar....

Sorry to be in so much of a Pontiac state of mind...but I just am right now...those were my sightings over the last month or two....

First-gen Rambler Marlin, in silver with black in the decklid cove. Restored and looking good.

In photos, a beautiful black SKY Redline absolutely totalled, looking similar to Nos' S2000 pics. A friend of mine was riding with his new roomie, and very nearly home, he lost control on a curve and bounced off two trees. My friend says he was not wearing his seatbelt, but the driver was. Miraculously, my friend only suffered cracked ribs and a broken nose. He easily could have been thrown out. I don't know what I would have done if he'd been taken.

Balthy, that '58 Impolla with its eyes gouged out gives me the Willys... *shiver*

2011 Terrain in a new color, Blue Gray Metallic. It was an SLE-1 AWD with chrome package, and it looks good in that color. That's one thing with these Thetas, the color choices are all so... conservative.

A couple bizzaro sightings today--

A pristine, mint condition--unrestored, I think '82 Cadillac Cimmaron (or was that Cimmaron, by Cadillac? )

A gold Chevy Classic (Malibu from 2 generations back) with a giant aluminum Fast & The Furious wing (as high as the roof) and the Classic badge shortened to read 'CLASS'. Stock wheels, etc. I wonder if the driver realizes that the car makes him look like a complete dork.

Today went to the emissions testing place after work (Jeep passed!), went home through some unfamiliar streets...saw a white 4dr early '60s Mercedes-Benz fintail sedan and a bright purple (!) Alfa Romeo 164 ( the last Alfa model sold in the US in the '90s)...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

2011 Terrain in a new color, Blue Gray Metallic. It was an SLE-1 AWD with chrome package, and it looks good in that color. That's one thing with these Thetas, the color choices are all so... conservative.

I got some pictures of that new Steel Blue Metallic color on a 2011 Terrain. I'll turn on my PC and load them up soon (on my wife's laptop right now :P ).

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I got some pictures of that new Steel Blue Metallic color on a 2011 Terrain. I'll turn on my PC and load them up soon (on my wife's laptop right now :P ).

As promised earlier, seen at Faulkner Buick-GMC in Trevose, PA at their sponsored car show last weekend (9/4), the Steel Blue Metallic of the 2011 GMC Terrain:

post-418-12841781698857.jpg

post-418-12841781312427.jpg

post-418-12841781525355.jpg

Thanks for putting these up, Roger. I like that color. I still say the Terrain body, perched higher over all-TERRAIN tires and a real off-road capable chassis, would be a more appealing vehicle. As it is, it sits appallingly low, and that takes away from its butchness immeasurably.

• Agree 1

No problem, Bill! I was happy to see this color out so early, and it reminded me of the bluestone metallic offered in late 2006 and early 2007 on the Saturn SKY. I wish GMC would offer a dark blue (not the lighter Atlantic Blue, a carryover color from the Torrent/Equinox) on the Terrain, as that's my favorite color.

I agree with you on the Terrain being too soft for its butch-iness exterior. I wish that GMC would offer an All-Terrain package, a'la Sierra, that gives the Terrain the things you mentioned already (including more ground clearance and m+s tires) - sort of like the Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot. I was next to a new Equinox in traffic yesterday in my Envoy and commented to my wife that they sit too low compared to the Envoy for my tastes.

Searing Green uplevel Fiesta sedan. Orange Murcielago (sp?). Late model Volare coupe in primer with a hood scoop. Young girl with pixie haircut and aviator sunglasses driving her yellow Metro convertible with the rear end plastered with bumper stickers. How about a New Age Aveo convertible, GM? If you're gonna give us penalty boxes, at least give us one with a view.

Edited by ocnblu

This weekend I've seen a few interesting cars...

an '11 Ford Edge in dark blue, huge new grille..

For oldies--a gorgeous minty silver blue '66 Cadillac Coupe de Ville ht, a minty silver blue w/ white top '73 Monte Carlo w/ rally wheels, and a white w/ white top '72 Lincoln Mk IV in clean shape.

Chrysler 300C SRT estate

and

Chrysler 300 estate V6 both today

and an Audi R8

and a SsangYong Kyron Cyber

Hmmmm...you in Europe this week? I saw a matte black Chrysler SRT8 Estate a couple weeks ago here in AZ w/ NJ plates...

Spotted a small used car dealer with a new Dodge Ram, 2 Dodge Challengers, a Chrysler 300C SRT 8, and a 1969 Chevelle.....

If this doesn't sound particularly remarkable.... consider I was 60 KM south west of Stuttgart at the time.

Spotted a small used car dealer with a new Dodge Ram, 2 Dodge Challengers, a Chrysler 300C SRT 8, and a 1969 Chevelle.....

If this doesn't sound particularly remarkable.... consider I was 60 KM south west of Stuttgart at the time.

Intriguing...

Red last gen Dodge Ram SRT-10 Crew Cab...we took in on trade. Not sure for what, but it's been parked behind our building waiting for detail, and I want to find the keys...never see these things anymore, crew cab especially.

My rental was an Audi A6 TDI 2.0 front track. I turned it in last night, but I'm still in Germany for a bit while more.

I was thoroughly underwhelmed. The 3-er I had last year was a substantially better car in nearly every way. The only thing I would have changed on the 3er was having it be a diesel (I forgot to ask for a diesel last year)

I saw a black previous gen Merc E-class with an unusual personalization--had the personalized license plate 'GAZ' and on the decklid chrome M-B style letters spelling 'GAZ' in place of a E350 or other series badge. Strange.

Also saw a bright red '10 Challenger R/T Classic (like that color) and a clean '75-76 Cadillac Eldo convertible in yellow w/ a tan interior, top down (getting to be convertible top down weather here).

Not automotive, but still neat:

The Norfolk Southern Executive E-units pulled through Pennsylvania Station in downtown Pittsburgh yesterday. I didn't get a picture of them, but here's one from the net.

bedford-3.jpg?w=450&h=334

Pretty sure I saw the same units at the Norfolk Southern Yard off of 104 on the south end of Columubus a few days ago....

Cruze... exactly like the one Vipes posted, extra-cost three stage red/tan leather. At local dealer.

I was there in '81 when the J-bodies replaced the H-bodies. Sticker shock dogged them from the start. IIRC, they were repackaged and repriced soon after. Cruze feels like deja vu in that regard.

Also saw a ragged-out '68 Impala 4-door hardtop, white/black vinyl top... still on the road.

And an Eagle Summit sedan. Damn, I thought they'd all returned to Mother Earth by now. :huh:

Thoughts on car spotting....

First of all, Camino has us all covered with his discovery of the Elkhart Green 72 Rag-em-top he's trying to buy....

As much as it pains me to say this, I think Ocean Blue is right about the Cruze falling on its face....wrong price for a small car with the economy on its butt....

And I think balthazar is lying to us on the production of Old Pontiacs....I've seen so many lately, I think they must still be in production in Kentucky or Mexico or something.

Went to a car show today, my friend was showing her Miata and I dropped by to see her....and it was a huge show, with everything from a VW thing to a new Hyundai Genesis coupe....but what really impressed me....

1. Yet another 3x black 65 goat, older resto, Crager SS wheels, autotrajic, neat driver.

2. 69 GTO, maroon, 4 speed, clean older resto, yet another car without the hide a way head light options, really clean.

3. 66 Catalina wagon, white, lowered, running on 18's, rat roddish vibe, towing a 60's era camping trailer, way too cool...

4. 67 GTO, was originally maroon, last saw this car in about 99 or 2000, an older guy owned it, was going to put a tri power on it even though 66 was the last year for tri power...fast forward ten years....car is now house of color gold, very tasteful and well done custom, what looked to be house of kolor kandy gold, tan leather interior, very first rate workmanship. Guy had a matching 67 Baracuda ragtop sitting nest to it...but I was so blown away by the goat I didn't get a good look at the Cuda.

5. 67 GTO, white, red interior, black vinyl top, red fender liners, one of the nicest and cleanest GTO resto's I've ever seen, very fresh, very right, very well done.

6. 4 (yes 4) 64 GTO's, including a really nice dark blue post car that I haven't seen running around here before.

7. Another 65 goat, maroon, 4 speed, just classy, a driver, slightly faded paint, fabulous chrome, cool looking in and seeing the GTO logo on the door panels and the walnut dash....

8. 89 Turbo TA pace car, didn't know we had another in Columbus, well kept driver, cool to see this one...tan interior slightly faded and a few stone chips in the paint...

9. 73 Grand Prix SJ, 3x white, very well done resto of a car you just don't see...400...all stock...all there and all nicely done. Sweet.

About a billion other Pontiacs, and so many cutty's I lost count, ranging from a 65 442 to a nicely preserved white 84 that was dead stock and nicely detailed.

10 Cortez silver 69 Camaro, Z28, non RS, run hard and put away wet, cool to see a muscle car driven like it was meant to be driven.

11. Really well done, fresh resto, turquoise and white 55 Bel Air two door hard top....nice to see a car dead stock.

12. Really clean balck 55 chevy sedan delivery, same owner 30 years, black, 350/350, 70's style interior with tuck and roll and buttons, pine on floor of back area...nice driver...30 year old paint still looked fantastic.

13. Fabulous 48 chevy street rod, and 8 or nine chevy convertibles from 1950-1954, ranging from dead stock to 50's custom.

14. 56 Ford cown vic, ell done custom, cool because the owner had pics and info on the car back to 56, car was originally a mild custom in California. Was awesome to see and touch all of the old photos and newspaper clippings the guy had on the car....photos of the car at 1950's car shows....knocked my socks off.

CONTINUED

Continued from above....

15. 1966 Dodge Coronet convertible, baby blue with a blue interior, un messed with, nice, clean and sweet, 383, autotrajic, nice.

16. 68 Dodge Coronet ragtop, R/T version, blue on blue but dark metallic, nice...

17. Cleanest blue 84ish SS Monte Carlo I've seen in a long time.

18. Real vintage style all steel black on maroon 32 Ford Roadster, red wire wheels (old style kelsey hays), had an old style SBC...and a proper 4 speed.

19. Several other street rods that really felt like a refugee from the 1950's, and not a modern rat rod or re-creation....

20. A corvette I'll tell you guys about later...just got a service call to run.

I'm a bit behind putting my finds up.

This '75 Chevy Caprice convertible is actually from last month...

post-4086-12854645223735.jpg

This was parked in the shopping center up the street. This is NOT the usual Lamborghini Gallardo that I see around. That one is yellow. I've never seen one in a spice red. I kind of think it looks very good in that color... too bad he parked like a douche bag.

post-4086-12854645529613.jpg

post-4086-12854645923899.jpg

For some reason, I don't think he was shopping at Family Dollar.

SAMENDAI, one of the guys in the TDI club parked his Jetta next to a luxury car parked like that Lambo....guy came out and slashed the Jettas tires...my friend Eric took the guy to court, and forced him to pay for a new set of tires....

Oh, and fantastic ragtop, SA....

Details on the Vette-

66, all original, turned 50,000 miles being driven to the show. Original paint, original interior, original chassis markings, et al. Was 11 points out of NCRS top flight as an all original, unmolested car....that nice.

327, 300 Horse, 4 speed, couple, couple of blemishes in the chrome on one bumper and one minor scratch on the drivers front fender...

Mossport green, which was a 66 only color IIRC. Dark green interior...made for a very nice looking car, I thought.

Oh, and a couple of other cool cars...on my way to the service call tonight, I followed a really nice clean Fiero, red....on the way home, followed a Bently coupe...

Oh, and another car. 73 Firebird formula, 400, NICE shape, that dark maroon that looked like a burnt red, was at the car show today.

Saw a neat 68 Firebird ragtop that had been turned into a drag car....a different Firebird ragtop from the other drag car I was telling you guys about...

Accident that I saw on I-71 seems to have claimed an SRT-4 Neon and a Miata, sadly enough...